Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R: 'Paths of Glory (VABF01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: 'Paths of Glory (VABF01)

"'Paths of Glory"
    Production No. VABF01
    Original Airdate: December 6, 2015
    Lisa sets out to restore the tarnished reputation of Springfield’s first female inventor. To find her invention, she scours an abandoned asylum and a restaurant that caters to men. Bart joins Lisa at the asylum, stealing one of the homicidal patient’s notebooks, and bragging to the boys at school that he wrote the entries himself. This revelation causes Homer and Marge to believe he is a sociopath, which Bart decides to use to his advantage until things go too far.
    Written by Michael Ferris
    Directed by Steven Dean Moore

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Blog Entries

Here's the updated producer credits, if anyone cares.

Executive Producer
    Matt Selman
    John Frink

Co-Executive Producer
    J. Stewart Burns
    Michael Price
    Bill Odenkirk
    Joel H. Cohen
    Rob LaZebnik
    Jeff Westbrook
    Brian Kelley
    Dan Vebber

Supervising Producer
    Larina Jean Adamson
    Ryan Koh

Consulting Producer
    Dan Greaney
    Tim Long
    Carolyn Omine

Producer
    Tom Gammill
    Max Pross
    Mike Scully
    David Mirkin
    Mike Reiss

Consulting Producer
    David Silverman

Supervising Director
    Mike B. Anderson

Produced by
    Richard Raynis
    Denise Sirkot
    Richard Sakai

So Kevin Curran and Marc Wilmore have left, and have been replaced by Ryan Koh and Dan Vebber. Otherwise, it appears to be mostly the same.
    Last edited by airalba; 12-07-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Put Dan Greaney in Supervising instead of Consulting

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I'm excited to have Vebber as a full-time regular.
    I also felt tonight's episode turned out a lot better than I expected heading into it (it was not pre-empted north of the border).
    SEASON 29 RANKINGS
    The Serfsons - 2/5 / Springfield Splendor - 4/5 / Whistler's Father - 1.5/5
    THOH XXVIII = The Sweets Hereafter - 3.5/5 / The Exor-Sis - 3/5 / Coralisa - 4.5/5 / MMM... HOMER - 2/5
    Grampy Can Ya Hear Me - 2/5 / The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be - 1.5/5
    Singin' in the Lane - 1/5

Blog Entries

amazing ep actually. one of al jean's better efforts in recent years. gotta give this a 5/5. really loved the loom joke at the end. on par with classic era
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

** Hans Moleman as a potato.
    * Bart pouring ants in doll.
    * Ralph rocking back and forth.
    ** "Your Son Is dead"
    End of act 1. Mediocre. 6/10.
    * Milhouse boogers.
    ** Suffragette society.
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    --- Wait... Does that mean... Bart has the Hots For Marge?
    End of act 2. 4.5/10. This is bad. Maybe I just had an epiphany and realized HD Simpsons is actually terrible. Yeah, that's about right. Maybe I should re-review 26, as my tastes have changed and my scored will seem inflated.
    No funny moments in act 3. 1/10. Further proving that I no longer find HD Simpsons funny. This actually makes me kind of sad
    Overall, 3.5/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

So Groundskeeper Willie is now a "female masker?"

Also worth of note, Pamela Hayden and Tress MacNeille both now have their own separate "Also Starring" credits, separate from the mysterious Chris Edgerly, and Maggie and Russi. I guess being in every episode for some time now DOES pay off...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Eggy Christmas View Post
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train
    *** Use of Crazy Train

Quote Originally Posted by walkin in a handy wonderland View Post
    amazing ep actually. one of al jean's better efforts in recent years. gotta give this a 5/5. really loved the loom joke at the end. on par with classic era
    And yet you scored it a 1/5 in the poll.

Blog Entries

can't let a new ep get too much praise. it's still a new ep

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Itchy

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked this episode. Both of the plots were fleshed out pretty well (no doubt helped by the quick "couch" gag), and it was a decently funny episode too; most of the jokes hit their marks. The Bart plot made me think of Brother's Little Helper and Postcards From the Wedge, while the Lisa plot reminded me a little of The Wizard of Evergreen Terrace. But they were both unique in ways and didn't feel like complete rehashes. It was a solid offering, all told. 4/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    And yet you scored it a 1/5 in the poll.
    The CUTTING-EDGE style of handy means that he votes 1/5 before the episode airs. Hilarious, right?!

I must be a sociopath becuz I have No feelings for this episode..

.. Jus' mess'n wit ya! ... I loved this "Path of Glory" from start to finish! 5/5 [Hugs for Everyone]

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Quote Originally Posted by walkin in a handy wonderland View Post
    can't let a new ep get too much praise. it's still a new ep
    Written by a freelance writer, no doubt. And freelance episodes since Jean took over are usually crappy and unfunny. I gave it a 2/5.
    My brother liked it, and gaveitaB. But then again, he likes bad stuff, and this song pretty much describes my brother and I...

(0:00 - 1:30)
    Last edited by wiley207; 12-06-2015 at 06:09 PM.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Fun episode. I liked seeing equal time given to Bart and Lisa's plots, and both stemmed from the same event. Fun seeing Bart and Lisa in detective mode, and lots of secondary characters were well utilized. Uter had some great lines, and I liked the team up of Ralph and Hans Moleman. The military bit was a bit too YVAN EHT NIOJ, until it turned out to be all a fake (thank god, I didn't want Bart responsible for killing real people on that scale). Overall, 4/5
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Oh, I thought the guy was just saying it was fake to put Bart at ease.

4/5

I didn't like Willie wearing a bra, but for the most part, I liked this episode. A good start to the VABF production cycle. Speaking of which -

-We have a new Co-Executive Producer, AND a new Supervising Producer? Maybe this injects some new life into the show!
    -Sam Simon is still credited in the beginning ("Developed By"), but he is no longer credited at the end of episode as an "Executive Producer" (after Al Jean's EP credit).

Lastly, did Harry Shearer have any lines in this episode? He was still listed in the credits though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    Lastly, did Harry Shearer have any lines in this episode? He was still listed in the credits though.
    I didn't hear a single one. We saw Skinner's car get smashed in and Lenny was alongside Carl when he expressed his disgust over the loom ceremony. But no lines from Harry and an absolute mother lode from Hank's characters. Suspect this might be the new normal for a little bit until Harry starts getting eased back into the scripts post-holdout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramier Wolfcastle View Post
    4/5
    Nope; just like Julie Kavner in "Krusty Gets Kancelled", and Chris Edgerly in this and many other episodes!

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    Nope; just like Julie Kavner in "Krusty Gets Kancelled", and Chris Edgerly in this and many other episodes!
    And Yeardly Smith in Chief of Hearts.

Fun episode, I loved the ending especially. 4/5

Blog Entries

brockman and lenny definitely spoke at the ceremony though? brockman had that scooby doo joke, and lenny said "that's what this is?"

Quote Originally Posted by ornamented View Post
    brockman and lenny definitely spoke at the ceremony though? brockman had that scooby doo joke, and lenny said "that's what this is?"
    Good catch. I loved that Velma line of his, too.
    We'll probably get a splash of Harry in these next few episodes but not much of him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airalba View Post
    Here's the updated producer credits, if anyone cares.

Executive Producer
    Matt Selman
    John Frink

Co-Executive Producer
    J. Stewart Burns
    Michael Price
    Bill Odenkirk
    Joel H. Cohen
    Rob LaZebnik
    Jeff Westbrook
    Brian Kelley
    Dan Vebber

Supervising Producer
    Larina Jean Adamson
    Ryan Koh
    Dan Greaney

Consulting Producer
    Tim Long
    Carolyn Omine

Producer
    Tom Gammill
    Max Pross
    Mike Scully
    David Mirkin
    Mike Reiss

Consulting Producer
    David Silverman

Supervising Director
    Mike B. Anderson

Produced by
    Richard Raynis
    Denise Sirkot
    Richard Sakai

So Kevin Curran and Marc Wilmore have left, and have been replaced by Ryan Koh and Dan Vebber. Otherwise, it appears to be mostly the same.
    Oh, and also: as far as I can tell, there is no credit for Jon Kern on this episode. Did he really go three whole seasons without writing anything, and then leave? Surprising. I know there are other writers who never got a written by credit, but Kern has to have the longest tenure out of all of them.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Bart's plot:
    Bart gets sent to an asylum because Homer and Marge can't tell the difference between paper that's hundreds of years old and more current paper that would actually be in a modern "diary". Also, Bart can't write in cursive but Marge just brushes that off. Beforehand, they let him do anything he wants because getting Bart some help isn't one of their top priorities at the moment. After all of this, Bart's asylum stay is revealed to be a military ploy and some kind of Ender's Game parody, I assume. There were some funny scenes (the bouncy houses, Bart driving, etc., and it is a good effort, but the logic in all of this is pretty bad. 4.5/10.

Lisa's Plot:
    Lisa and Bart discover that Springfield's first female scientist created a spectacular invention that has yet to be found. Exit Bart, then Lisa discovers this invention under the floor boards of a parody of Hooters (Nelson's mother is shown to work here), with the help of Milhouse and a disguised Willie (which I thought was pretty hilarious). The invention is a loom, which turns out to be the first calculator ever made. The scientist (who I can't remember the name of) is put in Springfield's history books. This was simple, yet pretty decent. 7/10

The fact that the secondaries were well-utilised adds points to both. The episode had funny moments and could have been better had it not been for some glaring issues I had with Bart's plot. 5.7/10.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

4/5 - that brought back memories of the mid-1990s, although there was something missing about the whole thing, as if the episode was just going through the motions

Pardon me for asking, but did Fox air the Obama speech in the eastern USA, or did this episode start on time?

Pamela Hayden and Tress MacNeille get their own credits, but are still given "Also Starring" rather than "Starring" credits.

Sam Simon still receives a "Developed By" credit, but not an Executive Producer credit.

Actually, the NBA draft only has two rounds.

Bart has gotten 100% on a test before; he once took a test on state capitals where Mrs. Krabappel left a map of the USA on the wall.

This is Gina Vendetti's third appearance; after being introduced in "The Wandering Juvie," she makes a brief appearance in "Moonshine River."

Lenny's eyes were off model.

Written by Michael Ferris
    Directed by Steven Dean Moore
    No billboard or blackboard
    Couch: a hand rolls a cup of five dice; Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie come up on four of them, but the fifth, after teetering on an edge with Homer, lands on Mr. Burns
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly, Maggie Roswell, Russi Taylor
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-LV

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Christmas Pax View Post
    Bart's plot:
    Bart gets sent to an asylum because Homer and Marge can't tell the difference between paper that's hundreds of years old and more current paper that would actually be in a modern "diary". Also, Bart can't write in cursive but Marge just brushes that off. Beforehand, they let him do anything he wants because getting Bart some help isn't one of their top priorities at the moment. After all of this, Bart's asylum stay is revealed to be a military ploy and some kind of Ender's Game parody, I assume. There were some funny scenes (the bouncy houses, Bart driving, etc., and it is a good effort, but the logic in all of this is pretty bad. 4.5/10.

Lisa's Plot:
    Lisa and Bart discover that Springfield's first female scientist created a spectacular invention that has yet to be found. Exit Bart, then Lisa discovers this invention under the floor boards of a parody of Hooters (Nelson's mother is shown to work here), with the help of Milhouse and a disguised Willie (which I thought was pretty hilarious). The invention is a loom, which turns out to be the first calculator ever made. The scientist (who I can't remember the name of) is put in Springfield's history books. This was simple, yet pretty decent. 7/10

The fact that the secondaries were well-utilised adds points to both. The episode had funny moments and could have been better had it not been for some glaring issues I had with Bart's plot. 5.7/10.
    Those points are perfectly valid. I'm glad someone called out not being able to tell the difference between stationery that was over a hundred years old and stationery from the 21st century (let alone not recognizing Bart's handwriting) but I was won over by the absurdity of how they executed the storyline with Homer feeding into Marge's paranoia. Absurd humor tends to win me over so long as it's not overly insulting or involves nonsense like Agnes faking her own death just to mess with her son. It's the reason I like Homer Goes to Prep School so much. It's nonsense but they go full-force with it and I kind of admire it when they do.

Plus, it was tightly scripted (a rarity for the HD era) and Bart was written smart (which I loved). Because his parents initiated the deception by BSing him on the "are you a sociopath" test, you were on his side as the viewer when he gave them a dose of their own medicine. That's a far cry from Bart spending an entire episode lying to his mother about his bulldozer heist just so he could execute a rather "lame by his standards" practical joke on Mayor Quimby of all people.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 12-06-2015 at 08:57 PM.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

None of Marge and Homer's emotion felt very believable, and the plot wasn't the most grounded. And Lisa's plot could have been fleshed out more. It had potential, but as it was, the search for the missing invention seemed pretty effortless. One other thing that bothered me was the birthday party charade and the subsequent drive to the asylum; I can't believe Marge being that irresponsible, allowing Bart to ride on the road in a bouncy castle. Surely there was a less absurd way to get Bart to the asylum. And now that I think about it, Marge's characterization was off for the whole episode. She shouldn't be more motivated by fear (especially of her own kids) more than the interests of her kid's well-being. And you would think she knows Bart better than to think he might be a sociopath, or at least have more faith in him than she did. On the other hand, both the plots were relatively interesting and fresh in spite of their flaws, and the episode flowed pretty well. Above average by HD standards. 4/10

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

A few people are commenting on Marge and Homer not realising Bart wasnt a sociopath, but didnt the episode make it clear that he is? Just, a mild one.

Though the fact that she was fooled by the paper was a stretch.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Quote Originally Posted by Smear-Gel View Post
    A few people are commenting on Marge and Homer not realising Bart wasnt a sociopath, but didnt the episode make it clear that he is? Just, a mild one.
    He doesn't want to kill people. He just wants to mess with them a little bit without facing any consequences for his actions.
    Those three answers he changed on the test make a world of difference. (That was also a funny line.)

Nancy was in fine form this week, incidentally. Really enjoyed her line delivery throughout.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    He doesn't want to kill people. He just wants to mess with them a little bit without facing any consequences for his actions.
    Those three answers he changed on the test make a world of difference. (That was also a funny line.)
    Yeah, you noticed the line too. It was a really good line.

You remind me that the Diary did actually involve the person killing people. Forgot that. Though, even if thier coming to the conclusin in the first place was a stretch, the fear was slightly more understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Pepper View Post
    I can't believe Marge being that irresponsible, allowing Bart to ride on the road in a bouncy castle. Surely there was a less absurd way to get Bart to the asylum. 4/10
    Pretty certain the bounce house had a roof. Unless Im mistaken.

Thread Information