View Poll Results: If You Want To Vote Vote In The Poll

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Good Halloween-Themed Flim (Year Of Release Of Said Movie)

6 6.32%
  • 4/5 More like IV/V!

12 12.63%
  • 3/5 eh it was ok

34 35.79%
  • 2/5 This episode was so bad, it's scary!! (please let me know if this joke is not original)

26 27.37%
  • 1/5 can... can we skip to thanksgiving

17 17.89%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Treehouse of Horror XXVI (TABF18)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: Treehouse of Horror XXVI (TABF18)

Original airdate: Oct 25, 2015
    Written by Joel H. Cohen
    Directed by Steven Dean Moore
    In the twenty-sixth annual Simpsons Halloween special, Homer suddenly gets short-term memory loss, Bart, Lisa and Milhouse all get superpowers from radiation, and Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

It was okay, a couple of good jokes.

3.5/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, that was bad. Nothing really funny except for "Just because it looks like S4 doesn't make it S4!".

Bob finally killing Bart should've been a much more livelier endeavor; Homerzilla was a complete bore; The final segment was a complete waste.

Should've called it "Tree House of Filler".

2/5
    -

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

This one felt very meta, which I liked. But I'm not sure if others would like it.

I liked the second one being a movie, I lked it but I feel others would be disappointed.
    Season 27 Ratings: Every Man's Dream - 5/10 | Cue Detective - 9/10 | Puffless - 7/10 | Halloween of Horror - 10/10 | Treehouse of Horror XXV - 7/10 | Friend with Benefit - 7/10 | Lisa with an S - needs rewatch | Barthood - 10/10 will watch again | The Girl Code - 9/10 | Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles - 7/10 | Much Apu About Something - 8/10 | Love Is in the Air: needs rewatch | Gal of Constant Sorrow: 8/10 | Lisa the Veterenarian: 7/10 | The Marge-ian Chronicles - 9/10 | The Burns Cage - 8/10 all credibility lost | How Lisa Got Her Marge Back - 6/10 | Fland Canyon - 8/10 | To Courier with Love - 9/10 | Simprovised - 7/10 | Orange Is the New Yellow - 8/10

Bob's Burgers Season Rankings: 3>6>5=4=2>1
    Fairly Oddparents Season Rankings: 4>3>6>8>2=10 (so far)>1>0>7>5>9

Blog Entries

the first segment was decent. ok jokes and stuff. felt pretty long too which was a surprise. normally the segments are over in a jiffy but this one felt nicely paced. relatively fun and some good gags. was pretty overly violent though. seeing bart get cut up like that was kinda legit disturbing. especially now since the show is so banal. second and third segments were absolute garbage though. homerzilla was a giant snoozefest that had no idea what it wanted to be. that third one where the kids get superpowers... literally nothing happened. like.. they go down the well, get superpowers, then there's a montage and then maggie fucks with a tv remote. wtf. i was ready to like this starting with the first segment but the other two were so incompetent that i can't justify liking this. awful. 2/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

- The Sideshow Bob segment was pretty meh, especially since it just ended up being a less funnier version of the Itchy & Scratchy cartoon "Tears of a Clone."

- I liked the visuals in the episode, though. The black-and-white look of the Godzilla parody, as well as the pseudo-handheld look of the Chronicle parody was pretty cool.

- I liked the Maggie/utopia ending, and wished the whole thing wasn't so rushed. Since the Treehouse episodes usually ends with things like people being turned inside out, having it end with a baby sleeping under a rainbow was a surprisingly nice twist.

Not good. Maybe I'm just used to THOH not being violent lately, but the Sideshow Bob segment was disturbing, with Bart getting his head shot off, mauled by a lion, Bob getting his head sliced off by the lamp shard, Bob sledgehammering Bart to the point his intestines break out... I'd rather take creepy disturbing like THOH V over tastelessly violent. And not that I care about this, but an observation with Bob repeatedly whacking Bart with the sledgehammer: I'm surprised censors let that one by because they tend to worry about realistic violence that kids could do in their own homes. It certainly wouldn't be hard to pick up the sledgehammer in the garage and go at someone.

The Godzilla thing fell apart once they went into some commentary on movie remakes that has already been done in the past. However, I wasn't enjoying it from the beginning, so maybe it was better than seeing an uninteresting resolution to the story.

The superpower one was kind of interesting, but then they abandoned the first-person format halfway through the segment and rushed an ending with Maggie. Clearly this THOH was all about the Sideshow Bob segment and John K. opening because segments two and three were messy. 2/5

I didn't understand the 4:3 "Just because it looks like season 4 doesn't make it season 4" joke. Who ever said HD animation in 4:3 looks like classic era?

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Blog Entries

it wasn't even 4:3 smh

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well the couch "gag" was ridiculously long. Remember when they couldn't do wraparounds anymore since they weren't given as much time? Yeah, let's shorten the segments now. Ugh.

Wanted: Dead, Then Alive

This one was by far the best and most original, although it was a bit off-putting at times to see a character we know so well to be gruesomely murdered multiple times, but I liked it at the same time; it actually fit the "horror" theme. Bob was great as always, and how he could only be happy by repeatedly killing Bart was pretty funny. 4/5

Homerzilla

So is this going to be a recurring thing where the second segment will be a movie parody where you have to have seen the movie to understand it? I have no idea what the first half of this segment was. Black-and-white Japanese stuff, I guess. And the stuff after it was boring and laughless as well. All I could think of was how much I would rather be watching King Homer. 1/5

Telepaths of Glory

It seems like all this segment was was Lisa and Milhouse messing around with their powers until Maggie fixes things with hers (which was already done in Gone Maggie Gone). There was nothing to this at all. I did like the season four joke, though, and some of the kids' antics were decent jokes. 2/5

An underwhelming THOH for the most part. 2/5 as a whole.

Blog Entries

that 4:3 joke was an insult to the aspect ratio community and i will see the simpsons writers/animators be punished

Blog Entries

"Wanted: Dead, Then Alive": The sequence with Sideshow Bob killing Bart was funny at first but didn't really go anywhere, and the Simpsons don't seem to really care in any way that Bart's dead. Bob kills Bart and then revives him after no real build up; Lisa sees Bart's corpse from a window and only says "That's where he's been keeping Bart!", instead of, you know, actually caring that he's right there and clearly deceased. Also, the segment wasn't that funny and was way too short. It was also disturbingly violent at certain points. 3.5/10.

"Homerzilla": The opening was decent enough, with the badly dubbed laughing and Agnes eating Skinner being the biggest highlights (which isn't good). After that, the episode couldn't figure out what it wanted to do and turned into a movie which was a parody of modern Godzilla or something? I don't really remember, it was that forgettable and stupid. Terrible. 1/10.

"Telepaths of Glory": The kids fall into a hole, get superpowers, Milhouse builds something and fuses his parents, then it turns out Maggie has an inanimate carbon rod. She builds something, gives a man a shirt (wtf?), then turns Homerzilla into Barney or whatever. The funniest thing was Skinner saying "Someone misspelled wiener", but this was absolute trash. 1/10

Overall, the only scene even halfway decent was Sideshow Bob killing Bart, but that was rushed due to the fucking two minute couch gag, which wasn't that exciting. And to close, there was some stupid dialogue about S4's aspect ratio. Bleh, this THOH was dead on arrival. 1.8/10
    Last edited by pax; 10-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Did Fox go out on anyone else during the third segment?

This was not pretty. Sad to say I didn't laugh once. I think this actually tops THOH XXI as the worst ever. Clearly the writers didn't care about the last two segments in the slightest. Homerzilla was not only similar to King Homer (but way worse), but it had no ending whatsoever. The Simpsons has made the same Japan jokes before anyway, making the first half of the skit useless. The Chronical parody was like 4 minutes long, and went nowhere.
    It was clear just based on running time and press promotion that they only put any stock into the first segment, and even that was a huge letdown. It wasn't satisfying to see Bob kill Bart. It became just disturbing, and not even in a funny dark way.

I can't find anything redeeming about any of this. I guess the ghost jokes in HomerZilla and the Milhouse text in the Bob segment were kind of funny. But wow. This was just a sad THOH to watch. Especially after last week's brilliant episode.
    Signature.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    This was not pretty. Sad to say I didn't laugh once. I think this actually tops THOH XXI as the worst ever. Clearly the writers didn't care about the last two segments in the slightest. Homerzilla was not only similar to King Homer (but way worse), but it had no ending whatsoever. The Simpsons has made the same Japan jokes before anyway, making the first half of the skit useless. The Chronical parody was like 4 minutes long, and went nowhere.
    It was clear just based on running time and press promotion that they only put any stock into the first segment, and even that was a huge letdown. It wasn't satisfying to see Bob kill Bart. It became just disturbing, and not even in a funny dark way.

I can't find anything redeeming about any of this. I guess the ghost jokes in HomerZilla and the Milhouse text in the Bob segment were kind of funny. But wow. This was just a sad THOH to watch. Especially after last week's brilliant episode.
    Agreed. This episode is tied with THOH XXI and XXII for worst one yet. 1.5/5

Blog Entries

the first segment was okay. shed 2 tears because kevin curran and marc wilmore had no scary names. i'm going to assume it's because wilmore left the show, but did curran leave? maybe.

the rest of the segments sucked. laughed at "this is not a proportionate punishment" in the last one, though. sue me.

oh, and did they animate homerzilla in color and then decolorize it? because this promo has that frink joke but in color

This episode was mediocre... 2/5
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Apparently when I set my expectation bar for tonight at ("gee, I hope this turns out better than Cohen's Treehouse of Horror XXI") I was overshooting. I should have set the bar at Omine's XXII... which this might have barely eclipsed.

I mean, none of these segments were as wretched as The Diving Bell and the Butterball... but at least the THOH XXII segments had defined endings and story structure. What a crushing disappointment of wasted potential, slapdash pacing and non-resolutions this mess turned out to be. They couldn't even go 17 minutes without recycling a "the house wins" gag.

Frankly, Treehouse of Horror needs to go back to the pre-Jean approach of giving each individual segment its own head writer and letting them craft something self-contained and uniquely special within their allotted amount of time. Stories that actually go somewhere and don't just meander and fill time between musical montages until the aliens show up at the end.

This was just a waste of time to serve as a hype vehicle to get people to tune in and watch Bart get slaughtered. Shame they'll think the show sucks when they do. How about you reserve some of that manufactured hype for a genuinely great episode like last week's? FOX would have been better served re-airing that one instead of the candy corn and raisins they doled out tonight.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 10-25-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    SEASON 28 RANKINGS
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 1.5/5 / Friends and Family - 3.5/5 / The Town - 3/5
    THOH XXVII = Dry Hard - 1.5/5 / BFF R.I.P. - 2/5 / Moefinger - 1/5
    Trust But Clarify - 3.5/5 / There Will Be Buds - 5/5 / Havana Wild Weekend - 2/5
    Dad Behavior - 0/5 / The Last Traction Hero - 2.5/5
    The Nightmare After Krustmas - 0.5/5 / Pork and Burns - 2/5
    The Great Phatsby - 4.5/5 / Fatzcarraldo - 2.5/5 / The Cad and the Hat - 1.5/5
    Kamp Krustier - 2/5 / 22 for 30 - 4/5 / A Father's Watch - 2.5/5 / Caper Chase - 1.5/5
    Looking for Mr. Goodbart - 2/5 / Moho House - 2/5 / Dogtown - 1.5/5

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

jesus, ive never seen this show with such awful pacing. every segment was just a bunch of gags and maybe 30 seconds of "plot", the godzilla one was the worst offender, they started a plot then just said fuck it and made another 4 minutes of filler interchangeable gags.
    the sideshow bob segment was the only one to have a decent scene, with bob killing bart but even then it felt so toned down like they were trying to make it not too bloody.

this was probably one of the worst episodes

1/5

Wow, this was a big pile of crap. The First and last story were probably the worst stories in all Treehouse of Horror combine. The second one was just ok. 1.25/5, bad TOH.

Blog Entries

All three segments tonight seemed to have a recurring theme of trying to be too ambitious for its own good and totally tanking. As a result, we're left with three segments that are half plot, half joke/callback dump.

Even at 10 minutes, the Sideshow Bob segment suffered from a time shortage. Without getting into the fact that most of the killing happened in a musical montage, everything just went by so quickly that none of the tension that usually makes Bob eps good was present. The "death" of Bart is a throwaway joke where he calls Homer fat, Wiggum just tells Bob "yeah go ahead and use a rifle" with no explanation except that he's incompetent or something, the final confrontation is Homer breaking a lamp over Bob's head (though reanimating the lamp was clever, I'll give 'em that), and Marge gives Bart "custody" of the body as if it was nothing (I get that's the joke, but so much for any excitement). In short, everyone acts way too casually for any scene to be especially attention-grabbing, and the segment where "Wile E. Coyote finally gets the Road Runner" (-Al Jean) turns out to be a big cartoon farce.

The idea of a Godzilla parody spanning multiple incarnations of it sounded pretty promising to me, but the execution of it totally baffles me. The actual tonal shift between the original film and some lousy modern remake takes up a tiny part of the segment, with the rest wasted on some hilarious parody of Hollywood. I would have even taken Homerzilla eating up the Hollywood executives and mixing real life and the film aspects, that is, until it turned into a bad act-break joke.

For Telepaths of Glory, maybe they'd have been better off giving John K another 5 minutes runtime on his couch gag. The first-person perspective was mildly interesting but that was quickly dropped about a minute in. I didn't get that Milhouse was abusing his powers until Lisa told everyone through some always helpful exposition. And then Maggie shows up and shows us some unrelated vignettes and then roll credits. Props to Chris Ledesma for finally being able to sneak in that ASCAP slam after 27 years though. Don't know what it meant but hey, good for him.

The John K opening was disposable besides the music, which I suppose was kinda nice. And Al seems to be fed up with The Haters given that last 4:3 gag. Ouch!

Voted 2/5 on poll.
    Last edited by peyrin; 10-25-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Not one of the better THOH efforts (if we can call it that, considering that the title doesn't appear during the show), especially with that ending.

Bart and Lisa wear Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear masks, but their colors are reversed.

There's no episode title.

Sideshow Bob says Milhouse's wallpaper is "American Girl dolls," but the image says "American Princess." This could be another case of "you can say a trademarked name, but you can't show it on the screen."

Fiendbook messages:
    Fat Tony: You won't be seeing much of Louie no more
    Jailbird wrote: Bob, I left my shiv in your ear canal
    Russ Cargill is hosting 10-year Dome Reunion 2017

T.S. Eliot didn't write Cats (okay, he is credited as one of the lyricists); he wrote Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.

Lisa calls Snake "Jailbird"; that's also how his name appears on Fiendbook.

Created by BAT GROENING
    Developed by JAMES "YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH YOU FRIGHTEN ME" BROOKS / BAT GROENING / SAM SIMON
    Executive Producer THE NECRONOMATTSELMANICON
    Executive Producer STINK-EYED FRINK GUY
    Co-Executive Producer KEVIN CURRAN
    Co-Executive Producer JUNK STATUS BONDS
    Co-Executive Producer POLTER PRICE
    Co-Executive Producer OVERDUE BILL!!!
    Co-Executive Producer MARC WILMORE
    Co-Executive Producer JOEL COHEN'S CREDIT
    Co-Executive Producer ROB LAZY-NIKNAME
    Co-Executive Producer JEFFISTOPHELES BEELZEBROOK
    Co-Executive Producer BRAM SHELLEY'S DRACUSTEIN
    Supervising Producer #IAMACONSPIRACYLJA
    Consulting Producer LIASONS DANGREANEROUS
    Consulting Producer TIM LONG-UN
    Consulting Producer NIGHTMAROLYN D'OHMINE
    Producers TOM DAMN ALL / MAX ON THE CROSS
    Producer MAGIC MIKE SCULLY XXS
    Producer DAVID MIRKINVISION
    Producer EREISSERHEAD
    Consulting Producer DAVE OF THE DEAD SILVERMAN
    Supervising Director MAD BEE ANDERZZZZON
    Produced by RE-ANIMATOR RAYNIS
    Produced by NOSFERA 2, BONITA 26
    Produced by MAKES GROWN MEN CRY SIRKOT
    Produced by RICHARD PSYCHO SAKAI
    Written by JOEL COHEN'S CREDIT 2: THE SQUEAKQUEL
    Directed by UNEVEN SHTEVEN MOORE

Executive Producer EMOJEAN (with a frowning face Emoji)
    Executive Producers JAMES "YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH YOU FRIGHTEN ME" BROOKS / BAT GROENING / SAM SIMON
    Starring DAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE-ETA
    GOOEY KAVNER
    NIGHTMARE NANCY SCAR-FRIGHT
    YEARD-SALE SMITH
    BLOOD BANK AZARIA
    and COREY ENGINEERER
    Special Guest Voice KILMER GHOULSMAN
    CHRIS "SCRAT" WEDGE
    Also Starring HANNIBAL HAYDEN / TERROR MACNIHIL / BURNT TO A CRIST DEADGERLY / MAGGIE "LAlien" ROSWELL
    Couch Gag by JOHN KRICFALUSI
    Animators GABE DEL VALLE / ALEX SALYER / NICK LEYSENS
    Animation Prodicers TOM ZOMBIE / PSYCHOSPREET DHILLON / ANDROMEDA STRAIN ROMERO
    Executive Story Editor WEST PICO BURNSIDERS: 2010, 2014
    Post Production Co-Producer DOMINIQUE BRAUD
    Animation Co-Producer THAT '70s LINE
    Associate Producers DIE FELICIA / ALHEXANDER DUKE / TOPANGA COMMUTER
    Theme by DANIELO ELFMOSTRO
    Music Disposed of by CLAW-and-SON'S HASTE MANAGEMENT
    "The Soul Candy Song" Music by JOHN KRICFALUSI / Orchestrated by GREGORY PRECHEL
    Original Casting by GONE BON GIRL
    Editors JORDAN DE CHICO / DON "BOOGIE MAN" BARROZO
    Production Coordinator DRESSY SPILLER
    Casting by SCOTT MULRRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMICRON PERSEI 8!
    Casting Associate NICK "NECROCHSAM" CONTI (still don't have it)
    Dialogue Sound Editors BOBBY MACKSTON / NORMAN "BATES" MACLEOD
    Miscued Riot CHRIS LEDESMA IN D-MINOR
    Sound Effects Editor TRAVIS "BIT CRUSHER" POWERS
    Re-Recording Mixers "MARK OF THE WOLF" LINDEN / TAR-AAAAAH! PAUL
    Assistant to Mr. Jean JOE STABBY
    Creative Consultant BAT GROENING
    Executive Creative Consultant JAMES "YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH YOU FRIGHTEN ME" BROOKS

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

The intro was absolutely dreadful. What exactly is the appeal of John Kricfalusi's animation? Unfortunately, the rest of the episode wasn't much better. In retrospect, it wasn't a good idea to have Sideshow Bob finally kill Bart, because there is no way that the modern staff would be capable of doing such a concept justice. The whole segment was impotent and extremely lazy, not to mention creepy in an unwelcome way in how Sideshow Bob was obsessed with Bart's corpse. That still didn't give the segment any kind of edge, it just made it gross. The Godzilla segment started out fairly promising, and it even had something that was almost funny (the poorly-dubbed laughing, which while a gag I've seen many times before, I will never not find it funny. However, it was unfortunately ruined by Comic Book Guy announcing it was going to happen). But it turned out to all just be a set-up for some "commentary" on how Hollywood loves re-makes (although, to the writers' credit, that commentary is pretty original). Which was the most pissed-off I've gotten at something the Simpsons has done in quite some time. Firstly, everything after that point was shit. Secondly, not everything has to be goddamn meta, or have some kind of point. What is wrong with simply telling a classic story? That is all The Raven (i.e. the THOH segment) was, in the most literal sense. And it is a fucking classic segment. I wouldn't have expected this to have been anywhere remotely close as good as The Raven, but if the writers just left it at as simple storytelling, it could have been one of the best THOH segments in a long time. But no, the writers apparently enjoy giving people stuff to bitch about. The last segment was just dumb. I don't really need to say anything else about it. And then there's "Emojean." I don't know if it's possible to insult the viewers' intelligence any more than that. What do emojis even have to with Halloween?

After this episode, I'm jumping on the "end the show" bandwagon. I was ambivalent before, but this is just getting ridiculous. As for the argument that "if you don't like the show now just don't watch it", if you really think modern Simpsons is a good show, you're opinion shouldn't be considered valid anyway. At the very least, Al Jean needs to fucking step down. It's hard to believe that there hasn't already been a revolt, considering the caliber of crap he's churning out. The Selman episodes are still mediocre (and sometimes as bad as a Jean episode), but at least the episodes of his that are legitimately insulting are in the minority. 1/10

Blog Entries

oh yea, who was that second guest voice

DONG......DONG........ Suomynona's Avatar

Actual honest-to-god reaction.

Seriously, END THE FUCKING SHOW IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT IT ANYMORE.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Pepper View Post
    It's hard to believe that there hasn't already been a revolt, considering the caliber of crap he's churning out. The Selman episodes are still mediocre (and sometimes as bad as a Jean episode), but at least the episodes of his that are legitimately insulting are in the minority. 1/10
    Hmm...revolt, and potentially loose easy paycheck, or do it half-assed and get full paycheck.

THE CHOICE IS OBVIOUS.

Blog Entries

That was lame.

Wanted: Dead, The Alive
    Bob finally killing Bart had a lot of potential but it all got wasted. (The same can be said for the other two segments). For an evil genius Bob's master plan to kill Bart wasn't really that suspenseful and because the writers have to make a joke out of everything, Bart's last words are incredibly stupid. Then, it turns into an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon and it has a musical montage. How scary. All of this leads up to an underwhelming punchline where Bob is some weird creature. 2.5/5

Homerzilla
    I have no idea what this was and it sucked. It starts off as a parody of the original Godzilla but then switches to parodying moves. Take that Hollywood! At least with A Clockwork Yellow, I was still able to follow the plot but this was incomprehensible. I've never seen any of the Godzilla movies but I'm sure there are lots of good jokes you could do with Homer as the monster. Like the first segment, this is incredibly underwhelming and would have easily been done better if it was made 15-20 years ago. Worst segment. 1.5/5

Telepaths of Glory
    The idea of a found footage parody was interesting at first but then it gets quickly abandoned. Why the hell is there a musical montage for? This felt extremely rushed, most likely because of the John K. intro. Milhouse starts going mad with power for about 10 seconds until Maggie comes in and uses her deus-ex-machine powers to save the day. 2/5

Also, the ending joke totally failed. It didn't look like season 4 at all.

Fun Fact: This episode aired exactly 25 years after the original THOH
    Overall Rating: 2/5

Is it just me or is an increase in meta-jokes the hallmark of a declining show? The worse Family Guy got, the more meta-humor it had to the point where almost every joke was a self-reference. Seeing more of them this season is not a good sign (or maybe it is--depends on how badly you want the show to end). This episode seemed to be loaded with meta-jokes that fell flat.

Anyway, I didn't think the Sideshow Bob segment was so bad (I didn't mind the gross imagery) and it was definitely the best of the three (not saying much). And I did think "24 years of trying to kill a 10-year-old child" was pretty good for a meta-joke, but this segment was also loaded with too many trendy tech-references, which are all the same now and hardly "satire". But I at least laughed a couple times during this one, so that gives it a leg up over the others.

The second segment started out okay--a little dull, but nothing terrible. When they revealed it was just a movie and it became a Hollywood satire, it just lost me...I didn't even know what I was watching. The third segment was just weird because of the format (it was also rushed). It seemed like an entertaining idea, but it wasn’t very funny and the weird format and the weird Maggie-ending added nothing.

4/10

Blog Entries

In a September 2015, interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Al Jean spoke about the episode, saying: "We're trying to break barriers and it's like nothing we've ever done.
    This truly was a groundbreaking episode.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    Hmm...revolt, and potentially loose easy paycheck, or do it half-assed and get full paycheck.

THE CHOICE IS OBVIOUS.
    Full paycheck clearly wins out. Plus, instead of revolting in the name of quality, one can instead invest time in trying to join the legion of Don Payne Memorial Movie Fantasy Box Office Prognostication competition champions and get a custom pennant on the ceiling.

A pennant! And everybody gets one! Like the Employee of the Month plaques at the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant. Even the inanimate carbon rod won that!

Besides, doing things half-assed is the American way. The PTA Disbands taught me that.

Blog Entries

Tried to post my review of this earlier but the site crapped out on me. Thankfully I didn't lose what I had typed out and was able to copy/paste it into a notepad document for whenever the site decided to stop being a dick.

Holy fuck, this was a snooze-fest. Aside from the first segment which had the novelty of the gory Bart deaths and a few smirk/"Heh" worthy jokes sprinkled through the whole episode this was just a lazy lump of shit. Even the Sideshow Bob thing felt underwhelming considering the lack of weight they gave Bart's death. I know it's a THOH where the audience knows it ain't gonna be permanent but it still felt like a massively underwhelming payoff to see Bob finally kill Bart and have them play it entirely for laughs even if they had it be as over the top as for Bob to harpoon Bart's heart out. Violence aside it just made the whole thing lack that certain "Horror" feel that the older THOH specials were able to pull off well (Remember when Mr. Burns turned Bart into a vampire? That feels like an apt comparison due to the fact that it was once again Bart's life at stake).

Homerzilla was a clusterfuck of nonsense that had no business being in a THOH.

The "Chronicle" parody started fine and then just went nowhere. I feel like maybe if they had either trimmed down Homerzilla or sacrificed the John K. intro (Which, much like the Bob segment of the proceedings, was just kinda dull, though neat for novel purposes) they could have given things a more satisfying build up of Milhouse going nuts with his powers, but alas, we're given another dumb, rushed conclusion that's just an embarrassment for a Halloween special to do. Kang and Kodos capper helped remove a slight bit of that bad taste out of my mouth though.

2/5.
    How to remaster

Thread Information