View Poll Results: Did this episode reach Agatha Christie levels?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: What a thrillride!

8 10.26%
  • 4/5: Some fine investigatin'!

30 38.46%
  • 3/5: Would have hired LasseMaya, but Lisa and Bart are okay.

21 26.92%
  • 2/5: What a snoozeride!

13 16.67%
  • 1/5: Cold case

6 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Cue Detective

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review: Cue Detective

Where the hell is Homer's barbeque smoker?
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 10-04-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

Re: option 1/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Agatha Christie couldn't even solve these polling options.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please change option 1/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let's do this.
    No intro!
    ** The kissing.
    This is unusual for the Simpsons.
    * Homer's fantasy sequence.
    * Stephen Hawking selling motorcycle.
    End of act 1, not so good, 4/10.
    ** Santa's Little Helper with can.
    ** Bart pulling on hoops.
    * Nelson eating frog
    * Santa's Little Helper still with Peanut can.
    This is getting better. A 6/10.
    * Now way in hell.
    * Vomiting in trophy.
    * Knicks suck.
    Overall, that was an awful third act. a 3/10.
    --- Weak ending.
    Man, this season's off to a slow start. The plot was good, but the funny jokes were few and far between. I'd give this a 4/10, which, combined with Every Man's Dream's 5.5/10, creates a very weak start to the year. I'm not sure how things have changed from last year, but these last two episodes were bad.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The very definition of average. Nothing stood out in this episode, but there wasn't really anything bad in it either. A lot of it was just stuff that's been in other episodes, but not done as well here. The mystery elemnt was decent, and I enjoyed Bart and Lisa working as a team. The plot with them entering the competition with the guy (who kept reminding me of Cregg Demon from The Great Simpsina) was kind of bland, but the family's excessive pessimism made me smile, although I think it went on for a little too long. The reason the kid gave for taking the smoker was kind of nice, but I think it was sort of ruined by them suddenly getting together, a moment that was neither sweet nor believable. A 3/5 episode if there ever was one.

- The life action movie part was pretty weird.
    - Loved the apocalyptic future ending
    That's it.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

1) Nice continuity with Bender still in the basement.

2) I like how the family didn't go back to their regular clothes right away.

Blog Entries

I liked most of the barbecue plot up until Homer gave up. Then we got that obnoxious as shit chef and some technology jokes (ha, so cutting edge guys, really), then Homer becomes a lazy ass and doesn't want to help with anything, even the cookoff. Cue a short cooking scene, a chase (which shows that Bart and Lis' need to team up more often), more ear gauge jokes, and a kid who ruins his dad's career to get his attention (there are other ways, dude). Then there's Nelson getting married and eating frogs (wtf?), pigs attacking people, then there's a future with humanoid wasps stealing the Hive. The episode was great until the halfway point, but the final acts kind of blew it. 2/5, 5.5/10
    Last edited by pax; 10-11-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Weird episode. It wasn't gonna take much to be better than last week's abysmal start to the season but between the Dr. Dolittle stuff, Bender in the basement, the change of clothes and the apocalyptic future ending it was an average episode peppered with a bunch of really odd bits.

Also, it made me really fuckin' hungry. 3/5
    How to remaster

A pretty good episode, loved the Dr Dolittle slam, (not Eddie Murphy's version) enjoyed the Bender cameo, I like BBQ and mean chefs, Nelson stole some nerds Ipad, I assume, and used it for crime gig . top notch cartoon watching to be sure! - 5/5

Blog Entries

not much to say about this one. it was weird seeing all the simpsons producer credits rolling under dr. doolittle archive footage. for the most part the segues into the plots felt even more hackneyed then they usually do, and the resolution didn't seem too natural. also bart yanking on that clerk's ears made me wince.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Yeah, this episode was pretty strange; practically everything about it was weird: the live-action screening in the beginning (felt more like FG there), a whole plot about a missing beehive-shaped smoker, the family wearing different clothes for once, Homer conversing with a dead man in the clouds, Homer and the kids lying on the floor depressed...but somehow I actually liked it. Maybe I'd rather see weird at this point in the show. 6.5/10

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Space camp

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tombmented View Post
    not much to say about this one. it was weird seeing all the simpsons producer credits rolling under dr. doolittle archive footage. for the most part the segues into the plots felt even more hackneyed then they usually do, and the resolution didn't seem too natural. also bart yanking on that clerk's ears made me wince.
    Considering that we've had face removal and eyeballs popping out of sockets and dangling like fuzzy dice (both outside of THOH episodes), I've built up a tolerance to excessive facial violence. This was actually quite tame by comparison.

As for tonight's episode, I think Selman got about as much out of it as he possibly could. It's not like Cohen has a prestigious track record or anything. This certainly wasn't up to the standards of The Debarted but it was fine. I enjoyed the cooking show parodies and the prolonged commitment of most everyone in the family to giving up... the exception being Santa's Little Helper and his amusing fixation with the empty jar of peanut butter. The actual resolution of the missing smoker mystery was rather hackneyed and Moynihan was a rather unnecessary bit of stunt casting. Kavner's line delivery sounded off for the 2nd straight week... although this may be the new normal for her. I enjoyed the Bender callback... he's going to be stuck in the basement for a while so might as well make use of him.

So Nelson's future canon has him knocking up Sherri & Terri, marrying Shauna and still pining for Lisa... have I got all of that straight?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitsy View Post
    Yeah, this episode was pretty strange; practically everything about it was weird: the live-action screening in the beginning (felt more like FG there), a whole plot about a missing beehive-shaped smoker, the family wearing different clothes for once, Homer conversing with a dead man in the clouds, Homer and the kids lying on the floor depressed...but somehow I actually liked it. Maybe I'd rather see weird at this point in the show. 6.5/10
    I'm cool with weird so long as it doesn't insult one's intelligence. Weird is different and different is good. When a show is 576 episodes into its run, I'll enjoy the simple pleasures of something out of the ordinary. Selman's usually good about delivering on that. Had Jean run this episode we'd have had an extra-long guest-animated couch gag and Dr. Dolittle would have been replaced with a tired list gag full of puns and something unrelated to the rest of the episode.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 10-04-2015 at 07:07 PM.
    SEASON 28 RANKINGS
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 1.5/5 / Friends and Family - 3.5/5 / The Town - 3/5
    THOH XXVII = Dry Hard - 1.5/5 / BFF R.I.P. - 2/5 / Moefinger - 1/5
    Trust But Clarify - 3.5/5 / There Will Be Buds - 5/5 / Havana Wild Weekend - 2/5
    Dad Behavior - 0/5 / The Last Traction Hero - 2.5/5
    The Nightmare After Krustmas - 0.5/5 / Pork and Burns - 2/5
    The Great Phatsby - 4.5/5 / Fatzcarraldo - 2.5/5 / The Cad and the Hat - 1.5/5
    Kamp Krustier - 2/5 / 22 for 30 - 4/5 / A Father's Watch - 2.5/5 / Caper Chase - 1.5/5
    Looking for Mr. Goodbart - 2/5 / Moho House - 2/5 / Dogtown - 1.5/5

This was way too predictable and not even interesting, I've seen the show do much better detective plots, this one was by far the worst, filled with unfunny jokes such as Bart pulling on hoops & the whole family lying on the floor depressed was just lazy, oh and great how the washing machine plot was completely forgotten about after Homer buys the smoker, it sounded better than what we got.

2/10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by binary View Post
    This was way too predictable and not even interesting, I've seen the show do much better detective plots, this one was by far the worst, filled with unfunny jokes such as Bart pulling on hoops & the whole family lying on the floor depressed was just lazy, oh and great how the washing machine plot was completely forgotten about after Homer buys the smoker, it sounded better than what we got.

2/10
    The washing machine plot was concluded over the credits...and then it got apocolyptic.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Written by Joel H. Cohen
    Directed by Timothy Bailey
    No billboard, blackboard, or couch
    Special Guest Voice: Alton Brown, Bobby Moynihan, Edward James Olmos, Ben Schwartz
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly, Russi Taylor
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

In fact, a number of sports have just removed their "no jewelry" rules, mainly because coaches were only pointing out the infractions when the fouls decided the results of the events.

The music in Homer's and Marge's BBQ fantasies sounds like the "Land of Chocolate" music.

Bart wears a "Gooba Gooba Who?" shirt; Lisa wears a lampshade at first, then wears a tutu (with her shoes changing color to match).

Everybody's normal bed clothes don't seem to have been affected by the mold.

This is the Simpsons' third washing machine; Uncle Herb replaced both the washer and dryer in "Brother, Can You Spare Two Dimes?".

Lisa uses Stan Getz Saxophone Polish. "Get Shiny - Get Getz"; "Shine" was one of his songs.

Scrap City sponsors the Scrap City Scrappers of the Springfield Jewish Hockey League.

Springfield's future includes "the Waterless Flood" and "the 1000-Year Night".

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if it's because I'm a devout Selmanite at this point, but this was pretty great. Despite a lot of mediocre script writing from Cohen (as the boy steals the hive: "oh no, he's getting away with the hive!"), you can tell Selman's really in his element with a food-related episode. There's some nice unity through the episode with the Simpsons giving up one by one, and I like that for once there's a single conflict of the missing hive that drives the entire story (even Selman's other TABFs take a few wild plot turns - Sky Police goes from "church needs money" to "Homer is kidnapped," and Covercraft goes from "Homer starts band" to "Apu is famous" to "Apu doesn't wanna be famous anymore"). You could probably argue that the Bart/Lisa mystery part is too linear and simple (peanut butter jar --> store --> Nelson --> chef's son), but I don't think it's the main point of the story, and that's as about much as you can expect from a one-act mystery without becoming incoherent at this point.

The whole "overarching morals" thing Selman likes to add at the end feels more tacked on than usual tonight, especially with that father/son chef moment that came out of nowhere, but there was some hinting at the theme with the barbecue bringing everyone together and making everyone hopeless when it's stolen, so it's not all bad. (Side note about Selman endings - he hasn't nailed it in TABF since the ending to Covercraft because yes I'm a sucker for those endings where the music goes right into the credits. Both Sky Police and this ep didn't build up to the ending message enough, and they both blew it with a meh joke at the end.)

Joke-wise, not too many clunkers tonight, and Homer slightly moving his leg to trip the guy made me laugh more than modern Simpsons has in a long while. Also, props to Alf for writing yet another variation on the Land of Chocolate theme.

tl;dr it's pretty standard as Selmans come and go, but it's Selman so I'm cool.

3.5/5, bumping it to a 4/5. I had low expectations for this episode based on the promo in which Bart and Lisa forgot what a television was, but I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the continuity in terms of Bender's cameo and was smiling through the Land of BBQ sequence. I also liked the jab at the Knicks :P

Compared to the season premier, I found this episode to be noticeably funnier.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    Selman's usually good about delivering on that.
    Yeah, Selman's got this quirkier sense of humor and an obscure taste in references that shows in his episodes. He's got running gags exclusive to his episodes such as DJ Keg Head, the "that's negative, man" man, and Sammy Hagar getting thrown in jail in Covercraft only to be seen escaping in Sky Police. It's not that easy to describe, but off the top of my head, some examples of Selman's weirder jokes have been the Strupo ad in The War of Art, Hanuman's thumbs-up at the end of Sky Police, the barrage of Phillip K. Brick sign gags in Brick Like Me, and the whole molecular gastronomy concept at the end of The Food Wife. Selman essentially packs his episodes with far more gags you have to work for than Jean does, which is pretty refreshing at this point in the series.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1: No intro is slightly promising. Still feels kind of weird whenever they show live action on the show, but I guess I'd rather have them just show the real life thing with the characters reactions than whatever mediocre Simpsons animated parody they could've done. Decent opening fodder, though that transition to Bart and Lisa smelling could've been a lot smoother. Like Bender's appearance, hope he shows up more in the future. BBQ plot predictable: Homer buys something (BBQ) instead of what he was supposed to, but that something (BBQ) wins his family back over, then wins over town cause...magical powers(?), and now he goes into a competition event. Meh.

Act 2: Weird animation with Bart swinging on that kid's ears. Hopin' For a Dream ringtone, yay. Bart and Lisa sleuthing again, it's...watchable. And then they give up (just like the show..). 'Nother meh.

Act 3: Random Lance Armstrong joke, k. Kind of enjoyed everyone except Marge being depressed during the show, then Marge's hope crashing with them. Alright, wrapping up, master chef loses cause he took BBQ, Bart sees thief and chases him, Homer is randomly lying down in path and trips him, insert boring twist with son we've never seen before, and then cue futuristic credits.

Not really much to say. It was a lot more watchable than last week's affair, and it had some quirky moments here and there to like, but I just found a lot of it to be pretty boring. Predictable plot I wouldn't have minded if they were more laughs inbetween it, but as is, it was an average, watchable episode.

Overall: 6/10, 3/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    Hopin' For a Dream ringtone, yay.
    whoaaaa good catch. The captions here said "Take the A Train" which in retrospect wasn't that terrible of a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by pkkaboo View Post
    Yeah, Selman's got this quirkier sense of humor and an obscure taste in references that shows in his episodes. He's got running gags exclusive to his episodes such as DJ Keg Head, the "that's negative, man" man, and Sammy Hagar getting thrown in jail in Covercraft only to be seen escaping in Sky Police. It's not that easy to describe, but off the top of my head, some examples of Selman's weirder jokes have been the Strupo ad in The War of Art, Hanuman's thumbs-up at the end of Sky Police, the barrage of Phillip K. Brick sign gags in Brick Like Me, and the whole molecular gastronomy concept at the end of The Food Wife. Selman essentially packs his episodes with far more gags you have to work for than Jean does, which is pretty refreshing at this point in the series.
    Not coincidentally those end up being my favorite HD episodes. I'd like to see more of Selman's writing/showrunning in the future (can he just take over from Al Jean? That would be nice...). I love the quirkier gags and obscure references.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I liked seeing Bart and Lisa solving a mystery together, and the mystery was intriguing enough to at least keep my attention, but the resolution was extremely unsatisfying and there was a lot of stuff here that made no sense or was otherwise awful. Also, since when do Bart and Lisa give up that easily when solving a mystery? In addition to the fact that that dreadful Dr. Doolittle crap just dragged on and on and contained live footage (which is always unwelcome), it served as an utterly nonsensical segue into the plot. Marge and Homer's fight during which Homer was trying to force her to eat the piece of meat was also way too long. Why don't the Simpsons just go to a laundromat, wearing the same clothes for a week kind of defeats the purpose of wearing clothes from the attic because of their initial cleanliness (unless Marge has multiple wedding dresses). Why wasn't that old guy who originally owned the grill this popular? I was pretty sure Lisa was going to use the dog to try to track down the grill, since that would be logical considering that dogs have very good senses of smell and are generally attracted to food. But I guess, in retrospect, the peanut butter stuff makes a lot more sense. Obviously only one person has ever bought organic peanut butter and the random employee of the store that Lisa happened to talk to obviously knows that person. How could Nelson afford organic peanut butter (which is presumably very expensive) and also a freaking tablet when he can't even afford regular food? Thank god they showed the rented spice rack earlier because otherwise I definitely wouldn't have got the reference to it later on at the competition. The guy Bart was chasing should definitely have heard Bart and Homer's converstation, considering he was between them, and thus should have easily avoided being tripped by Homer. Didn't the chef get arrested? How come he is suddenly there to reunite with his son?

I like how the Simpsons were not seen wearing their regular clothes for the rest of the episode, but that was unsatisfactorily resolved as well (how the hell can Nelson afford a washing machine?). And Nelson's role in the plot was contrived; basically anyone else would have made more sense than him considering that plot point relies on the character owning a tablet. And if that game is anything like Tapped Out, you don't actually know anything about the people you are "friends" with on there unless you already have some kind of pre-existing relationship with them, which Nelson obviously didn't have with this kid. But maybe I'm just weird because of my lack of interest in meeting all the random strangers I'm friends with on Tapped Out that I got off a list on the internet, I don't know. So yeah, kind of an interesting concept but they obviously didn't put very much thought into this. I tend to think Selman's episodes are a bit better on average than the Jean episodes, so this was particularly bad by Selman standards. 2/10

Banned

The best episode in a while. It was long, without much padding, and for once, every joke worked. However you could see the ending coming 15 minutes out, and I couldn't stand the kid's voice. However, for once, they actually wrote like people, not like robots. When that guy offered to sell that grill, modern Simpsons just goes "of course". I think "why would he sell a generation old grill, that's bullshit." What do you know, Homer actually asked that! An interesting funny episode, and is probably the only episode in the HD era apart from Simpsons to hold a legitimate plot for 21 1/2 minutes, and actually have to cut opening titles for reasons other than filler. Also liked the appearance of Bender. I haven't given many epsodes that have aired since I joined here a 5/5, but this one deserves it.

9/10

5/5 for the poll.

A-

Blog Entries

I really liked this up until they revealed who the thief actually was. Pretty funny and the best joke was SLH's head in the jar.

4/5

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

edit: sorry, already mentioned about the chocolate land music

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So I guess this ep confirms simpsorama is cannon.
    Gotta love how since the title Cue Detective is a play on True Detective they just had to throw in a very random reference to the show itself, the song in the end credits was the TD season 1 theme song it didnt really even match the visuals.

Anyways pretty standard modern ep, nothing awful but nothing "good".

oh and fuck off oss with your shitty edgy poll options

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Blog Entries

Meh. At least it was better than last weeks shitfest. The mystery aspect was really lame and the ending was very predictable. Also, that kid has a really annoying voice. But there's nothing horrible here but nothing good either. Typical HD blandness 2.5/5

So, Simpsorama's canon now, okay then.

Wow, the beginning of this episode dragged on. And live-action? Is the show set in a Roger Rabbit-type universe now where humans and cartoon characters co-exist?
    Bart, Lisa and Homer have smelly clothes and this is due to fungus in the washing machine. And Marge says they have to buy a new one. Okay, I’m confused. Why can’t you just clean away the filth from the one you already have?
    Regardless, Homer ends up spending the money on a honeycomb/grill hybrid from… Willie Nelson, I guess.
    Well, the thing gets stolen and it turns out Nelson Muntz did it. Seems odd he can afford a tablet, but I guess he could’ve stolen it. The guy who paid him to do it gets away and Bart and Lisa give up. Why didn't they just ask Nelson who he worked for?
    Okay, so the thief was the son of the celebrity chef, but they manage to work things out. And his dad was released from police custody offscreen prior to this scene for some reason.

Overall, not to bad. The post-credit scene were the funniest part of the episode. The plot had potential for a good episode, it just needed some better gags and less plot holes.

Thread Information