11 14.67%
  • 1/5

5 6.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Bull-E (TABF15)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Avatar courtesy of Telso Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

R&R: Bull-E (TABF15)

Springfield introduces new anti-bullying laws after Marge lobbies for it, then Homer is brought to rehab for his behaviour against Ned. Rate and review after the episode airs.

Blog Entries

Not only the best episode of the season but of the last 5.

I loved it! It was really funny and sweet!
    IMO, The Simpsons is getting much better!
    "If any of you does something I don't like, you're gonna hear about it! And if you really tick me off, I'm gonna run you down with my car." ~Ned Flanders

I'm just like Smithers!
    I'm Smithers, who are you? by The No Homers Club

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It had a bunch of good bits:

---Moe's "dirty word"
    ---The vote at town hall
    ---Ned wanting Homer apologize
    ---Otto's hallucinations
    ---Ned's double balloon dream

But it seemed a bit too disjointed, so a 3.5/5.

Average to a bit above average, but one episode does NOT make a trend.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Okay, so I have two things to say about this episode that I consider very high praise for Modern Simpsons:

1. This was probably the hardest I laughed this season, and very little of it was at A. Brooks (who is usually the best part of his episodes.)
    2. They managed to portray Flanders close to his classic era form - religious, but not a conservative blowhard.

However, the plot wasn't engaging enough for me to give it a full 5.

So... 4/5 it is. (B is the letter grade.)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

+ Short couch gag.
    + Flamethrower gag
    + Agnes Skinner alarm.
    ++ Stoned Otto.
    +++ Thomas.
    ++ Puberty demon.
    + Yes! Not another Bart's girlfriend episode.
    ++ Plot getting in fast!
    +++ Moe swearing.
    End of act 1, Amazing! 10/10.
    -- Suddenly Winter?
    + Wiggum eating candy cane.
    - And now the snow's gone?
    ++ Mostly Ice.
    + Wiggum's notes.
    -- I thought it was Winter!
    + Fixed it for him.
    -- Stupid rant.
    + Going through maze.
    ++ Homer's deep voice.
    End of act 2, step down from act 1. 7/10.
    --- VERY stupid hero joke.
    ++ Plot's pretty nice!
    ++ Homer sinking.
    --- No resolution?
    End of act 3. AWFUL act! 2/10.
    +++ Freddie mercury!
    DANGER!!! RANT AHEAD!!
    So the show is trying to say that after 26 seasons of classic rivalry, Ned and Homer are suddenly best buds? Undoing all those years of rivalry and feuding just for a ratings boost? AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL!
    What a jump the shark moment for the show.
    Otherwise not to good. 6/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

If this continuity change is permanent, i'll stop watching the show for tearing out a part of it's lore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    If this continuity change is permanent, i'll stop watching the show for tearing out a part of it's lore.
    Watch "Homer Loves Flanders" for the REAL, one-week only, friendship:

Homer: I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT THIS IS NED FLANDERS, MY FRIEND!!
    Lenny: What'd he say?
    Carl: I dunno, something about being gay.

That exchange was funnier than tonight's ep.

Blog Entries

'Twas ok, much better than the past few episodes.

Stuff I liked-
    Seeing something to do with Rod and Todd instead of them just being side characters
    Ned taking a stand
    Good jokes

Stuff I didn't like-
    Otto being used as a druggie, although some of his fantasies were kind of funny, albeit weird.
    Are Homer and Ned friends for good now? I sure hope not, that would ruin one whole aspect of the show.

My weekly rant about how I can tell the show is ending-
    This episode really makes it feel like it is ending, even though I know it was renewed for 2 years. It seems like they are wrapping up everything in a neat little package. Like all of these years where Homer hates flanders and he is finally confronted about it and Ned forces him to apologize. I don't know, it just feels like it is coming to an end.

Anyway, 3/5, good for a modern episode. Best in a while ending a string of 1/5s.

SIDE NOTE: Why so many continuity things this year? References to Elon Musk in a few episodes and Ned keeping his dog.
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Blog Entries

Don't forget about Rabbi dying.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: friz

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first half of ths episode was absolutely hilarious. Probably had more jokes that worked than any other episode in its entirety this season. But once Homer went to that bully rehab clinic, the episode started to drag a little. I think that scene was drawn out, and I found the instructor kind of annoying. And while I did like how Flanders wasn't overly conservative in this, he did seem meaner than usual. Flanders in the classic era would have forgiven Homer on the spot. I was worried that the girl Bart danced with was going to get into a relationship with him, so I was glad she was out of the picture quickly. The only thing in the first half of the episode I didn't like was the puberty demon. Seriously, what the fuck was that? But an extremely strong first half and a middling second half give the episode a 4/5.

Blog Entries

Also, stop looking into the Homer/Ned thing. I guarantee they're not going to be best buds. Not all episodes return to the status quo, but things go back to what they were in the next episode regardless.

Blog Entries

People wondering if Homer and Ned are going to best buds forever from here on out makes me wonder how they got past season 5, 8, and then all the way up to season 26.

Great episode! .. Once again Jerkass Homer saves the show and wins the day. 5/5
    You rock Ned!!

Blog Entries

The Moe profanity joke was freaking hysterical! 10/10!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Great episode! .. Once again Jerkass Homer saves the show and wins the day. 5/5
    You rock Ned!!
    Unless Jerkass Homer knocked off Ned's mustache while Otto was tripping out, it appeared Jerkass Homer lost this round.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    Unless Jerkass Homer knocked off Ned's mustache while Otto was tripping out, it appeared Jerkass Homer lost this round.
    Take That BACK!!!

BULLYS RULE!!

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

This episode was a lot of fun, much better than expected. I'm glad to see A. Brooks again. I think the end with the Magic School Bus is one of this season's highlights. Best episode since My Fare Lady. B+

6th best thing to do to gel. Smear-Gel's Avatar

Of course the first episode I miss in ages is the best in ages.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BloodySimpsonChibi View Post
    The Moe profanity joke was freaking hysterical! 10/10!
    Am I the only one who didn't find this particularly funny? Seemed out of place for the Simpsons.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Blog Entries

This was shockingly good. Went in expecting to be bored to tears but it picked up fast. Basically everything from the puberty demon onwards was really enjoyable. 4/5

Also, that Moe swearing gag... I really wanna know what he said after the clearly obvious "Fuck" at the start.
    How to remaster

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

In the opening, Maggie is wearing the uniform of USA's Women's World Cup team. "Coincidentally," Fox is airing the Women's World Cup Final in July.

Since when do you have to be a "star" to be a celebrity dancer on Dancing With the Stars?

When Homer spins the fence, the bottom of the fence isn't in the ground, but later, it is.

At the dance, was Bart doing the Bart(, Man)?

Since when does Marge shop at Kroger?

Okay, I'll ask; which actual writers appeared as Krusty's writers?

Of course everybody hates Ned Flanders; there's even a song that says so!

Written by Tim Long
    Directed by Lance Kramer
    No billboard or chalkboard
    Couch: The couch is replaced by a soccer goal, which Homer tries to defend, only to be buried in balls...kicked by Maggie, in a Women's Team USA uniform
    Special Guest Voice: A. Brooks, Joe Mantenga, Johnny Mathis
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

Blog Entries

I'm surprised at all the praise this is getting. This isn't the best episode of the last 5 years by a long shot - if anything, it's decent at best. I'll second that it doesn't do much wrong - the storytelling, humor, characterization, etc. are all on point (by HD standards, anyway), but there wasn't anything in particular to make this stand out from the rest of the HD episodes.

There were definitely a lot more jokes tonight than in the typical HD episode, but I can't say a lot of them hit. The stupid Thomas the Tank Engine bit was good if only because of the image of Otto's huge train vs. a pathetic little toy train. The puberty monster was too prolonged to be very funny, though I liked the female puberty monster as an act break joke. It's an old joke, but the deadpan delivery of Moe's swear word made me laugh. "The ice costs more than the soda, do you realize this" had good delivery. Albert Brooks's character was probably his worst yet - a lot of unfunny rambling and very few good lines. Chalmers breaking down made me laugh if only for the delivery. The bit with Homer's delayed "better human being" has been done before...a lot...but it was pretty good here. The insipid commentary on the Rose Parade was nice. The idea of "Homer Simpson Signing" for no real reason was amusing. Most of the visual gags during the montage where Homer knelt on the Flanders lawn hit, my favorite being Marge going out to clean Homer. The Magic School Bus bit at the end was too obvious for me but I did like Otto stepping on the little guys.

As for the plot, it was just kinda...there. I enjoyed the satire, for lack of a better term, of the over-defensiveness toward bullying, though I think it didn't do enough to warrant taking that much time away from the main Homer/Ned story. For the most part, the Homer/Ned plot was solid, but it didn't go very deep, even with Albert Brooks standing there yelling at Homer to go deeper. I also think certain plot points needed more expansion, notably Flanders getting so uncharacteristically angry at Homer and Homer's sudden reformation ("Flanders does everything better than me and I'm jealous!" is all it takes to be cured, I guess). As a result, the resolution where Homer apologizes to Flanders isn't exactly very emotional. Aside from those missteps, characterization was mostly on point - props for making Homer fairly likable even in an episode where he's portrayed as a bully. I also liked that Rod and Todd were used in the plot as more than just a quick joke. Nice to see them think for themselves for once.

The Magic School Bus-esque tune over the credits was catchy, and hey, we actually saw Flanders's dog in a scene! Also, I didn't think that was actually going to be Johnny Mathis. And here are Krusty's writers:

Overall, everything works, but nothing stands out - just like so many other HD episodes. 7/10 (3/5 for the poll)

Does anyone know if the Krusty writers were portraying real Simpsons writers?
    how do you put gifs in sigs

Blog Entries

I don't think so. My guess for the black guy in the back was Marc Wilmore, but here's what he looked like in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge:

The girl in the back looks sort of like Carolyn Omine, and the guy with the glasses looks vaguely familiar. Sounds like a question for Al on Twitter.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is the best episode Tim Long has written since MoneyBart. Hell, this would probably even make the top 5 of best episodes he's ever written and just like the aforementioned episode I am surprised by how good it is. When Tim Long's only episode for this season is an exceptional one, then it just shows how good of a season this is and for once we have a season where the worst episode isn't written by Tim Long.

Now I'll start by talking about the satire of the episode which is what I was fearing the most about this episode. Satire is something the show fails miserably at these days and the only HD episodes I can think of that had good satire are the ones that Selman was the show-runner for. However this episode is an exception. Now the satire isn't anything essential, but I like how they took this ridiculous plot and played it out as such. It really takes a look at all the flaws with the system and it shows how bullying will never go away mainly with the people who are unaware that they're being bullies. (Interestingly enough this was the second time that Lou has been arrested by Chief Wiggum.) It really isn't the preachy kind of satire that I thought it was going to be. Also the characterizations are on point for the most part. Especially with Homer and Flanders which I really loved how it ended with Ned forgiving Homer after teaching him a lesson and even though the way Homer admitted why he really hates Flanders which came off as whiny, I still loved the direction it went in because it reminded me of episodes like When Flanders Failed or Homer Loves Flanders where deep down inside Homer does care about him to some extent. Not all of the characterizations are great as we still get Otto's stoner personality, but those scenes with him were actually funny. Also there's the short-lived relationship with Bart and that girl, but it was portrayed more innocently and childlike instead of him being written like a teenager. As for Albert Brooks character I actually really liked his character. While he wasn't the highlight of the episode, he did have his really funny lines and I wouldn't go far to call it his worst character. That would probably be Cowboy Bob as he was just a bland character.

As for the humor of this episode, it was actually really funny at times. Stuff like The Puberty Demon, Rod imagining Jesus being bullied by the Romans by playing keep away with his halo, Moleman's appearance and the thought bubble gag really had me laughing and there are many other jokes that were just as hilarious. It's not perfect, I still love this episode and it was just a very pleasant surprise. 9/10

Hmm, I was expecting this to be a pretty bad episode but it turned out to be decent, it was kind of boring before Homer went to bully clinic, but got pretty good afterwards, I liked the jokes and the episode worked, of course, Flanders' behavior seems unusual here, he would've forgiven Homer instantly in the classic era, but I didn't mind it much, I'm also glad that school dance didn't turn out to be another stupid Bart & a girl subplot, I give it a 7/10.

Blog Entries

It is the best episode in years, hands down. And that's not necessarily praise, but it deserves a lot of credit. How many times has the HD era chosen comedy over character and failed miserably at it? This episode chose the opposite by actually focusing on a long-running character-driven premise to tell a well-structured story (for once!) and managed to interweave cool and humorous sequences without any of the gags being cringe-inducing or distracting to the pace. Not a laugh riot, but it provided laughs that were well earned. The characters were actually likable and Albert Brooks' ad-libbing was fun. Also the characters, primary and secondary, felt more rounded out than they usually are. Overall this episode has a nice energy to it so enjoy it now while it lasts.

Blog Entries

haha the "best episode in yearz" contains such things as a PUBERTY DEMON and anti-bullying legislation. i haven't seen this but c'mon
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swoony View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't find this particularly funny? Seemed out of place for the Simpsons.
    No, I didn't like it either. It was exactly like Ralph spouting off a bunch of bleeped profanity in Judge Me Tender, which a lot of people seemed to think was really funny, but I just found stupid.

34. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Thread Information