5 7.04%
  • 3/5 - "Grampa becomes an airline pilot" would be better

18 25.35%
  • 2/5 - Was this written by an old man?

19 26.76%
  • 1/5 - So boring I turned old watching it

26 36.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Let's Go Fly a Coot (TABF13)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Avatar courtesy of Telso Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

R&R: Let's Go Fly a Coot (TABF13)

Grampa decides to relive his days in the air force, which leads to Homer getting an impromptu lesson about respecting his father. Meanwhile, Bart tries to impress Milhouse's Dutch cousin. Rate and review here after the episode airs.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

+ Short couch gag.
    + Dog present.
    + Homer hitting Krusty.
    -- Very stupid rant.
    + Good meta joke.
    ++ Grampa eating carrot.
    + No terrorists.
    + Rod's wish.
    --- Hooray! ANOTHER Bart's girlfriend plot!
    +++ Bart vaping.
    + Fighting montage.
    end of act 1. OK. 7/10.
    +++ Bart with hole in throat.
    ++ Grampa's angry face.
    + Arthritis will unite us.
    --- VERY VERY VERY VERY LONG AND STUPID LIST GAG!
    ++ Hip replacement.
    ++ Maggie smoking e-cigs.
    OK. 7/10.
    + Basketry.
    ++ Bart's smoking.
    + Cute car.
    +++ Grampa with wide eyes.
    ++ In your lungs.
    +++ HUDSON!!!
    + First draft.
    --- Why does Bart suddenly hate her?
    +++ Weird yet funny end.
    --- Pretty disjointed plot.
    end of act 3, great act! 9/10.
    ++ Homer's steak.
    Overall, good! 7.5/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

The subplot was at least an improved version of Beware My Cheating Bart.

The rest of the episode was boring, but nothing offensive. 3/5 (C)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Likasa rules! BloodySimpsonChibi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

8/10 Very awesome. Don't care for milhouse's cousin though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    I'd imagine patting Lisa on the head would sting, damn kids with their spiky heads.

Blog Entries

The plot was not coherent at all, it was so disjointed. There were a few good jokes, but it wasn't good at all. 1/5
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Bart 's synthetic voice made me laugh out loud! It's been a while since this happened.

In overall the episode was ok I guess.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good lord, that was strange. Bart's 'crush' had a decent twist, but Homer's birthday bashing was downright stupid. Abe's plot was mildly amusing and the "this is the 50's, everything is a death trap!" was a reference to Richard Bong*, one of the best fighter pilots in WWII and his death flying an experimental plane.

As for the episode, 2/5, so meh...

*=Bong died in 1945, but there was movie about him where the scene was similar in the Test pilot's office.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

I liked the sub plot with Milhouse's cousin, especially the end but the rest of the episode was too disjointed and unfocused. The only laugh I got from Grandpa's plot was the Jack Kerouac scene. C-

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

Mayday, Mayday!

There was almost no intro. That's a good sign...usually.

The episode starts out pretty decent. The birthday party is a very overused plot device, sure, but the episode uses it nicely, and it produces some pretty decent jokes.
    Unfortunately, that's all this episode does right for a while.

After Homer ruins some birthdays (birthdays which will probably be forgotten by next week) one of the worst simpsons scenes in recent memory starts. Every single line felt like some sort of joke, yet almost every single one just fell flat. Luckily, it didn't drag on toooo long, but it was still 99% awful

-note: something probably happened here, wasn't paying attention-

Next up...ugh...Bart gets a girlfriend. And she's addicted to e-cigs or some shit. Fuck this plot...just...fuck it.

Next comes the agonizing 'Girlie Punch' scene shown off before the episode aired. Again, it was completely terrible and unnecessary, but at least it didn't drag on toooo long.

The movie theatre scene, on the other hand, was way too long. Nothing good came of it. And it wasn't even so bad it's good.

Then Homer shit himself.

After all of this, there was a flashback scene that ran on the entire act (I think). And, to be honest...I kind of liked it. It could have been done better, but it did show off some pretty good backstory of both Abe and Mona. And a lot of the jokes worked. Although, surprise surprise, another shittily written dig at pop culture. Didn't quite catch who it was on, though. Kinda tuned out when I realized what they were doing.

It ends off with more of 'Bart's Girlfriend of the Week' stuff. Who cares anymore?

Highlights:

- Birthday party opening had some potential...kind of squandered it, but it worked for a bit.

- Marge's joke about Bart not having any more birthdays was funny.

- I kind of chuckled at Bart's synthetic voice.

- Getting to know how Abe and Mona met was nice. And, as far as I can recall, it doesn't retcon anything.

Lowlights:

- The girlfriend plot...all of it.

- The "fight" scene.

- The awful joke about dystopian movies.

- Luann and Kirk are now cousins, because...reasons.

Overall, not a good episode. Had its moments, but it wasn't enough. 2.5/10

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Blog Entries

Kind of a meh episode. Nothing too offensively bad.

Hank Azaria's lifeless default voice was rampant in this one. Even when his characters are yelling, I feel nothing. It's forced.

I actually laughed at Milhouse's "rain clouds are forming" joke at the end. It's probably something I shouldn't hail as good, but it was just one of those WTF jokes that worked (probably since it really committed to the running gag that Milhouse's parents are cousins). And at this point of the series, I'm not really that nitpicky over stuff like that. Man this show is crazy.
    Last edited by lionelhutz123; 05-03-2015 at 05:23 PM.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

goodass e-cig jokes this week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Blog Entries

ripoff of "eSpencer" IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by handsome View Post
    goodass e-cig jokes this week
    Nah, the 'joke' about Kirk and Luanne being cousins and Milhouse's tongue were the worst jokes of the season.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

wh

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: friz

Blog Entries

i liked the joke of homer as the clown comitting suicide which by the way is not something i should be writing (the "i was the last kid on earth who liked clowns" followup line was solid too)
    i also enjoyed those closeups of annika van houten's rump

other than that it was modern simpsons so great episode. 10 out of 10

Blog Entries

What was Carice van Houten mumbling over the credits?

I lost interest and walked away for a good chunk of this episode. I would rather watch Sideshow Bob with gills three time in a row than this episode. What the hell is with Milhouse's creepy cousin-incest fetish?
    Brrapt Brrapt Pew Pew!

Blog Entries

So, Homer decides to be a jerk and ruin children's birthday parties for some reason, WWII vets see him pulling Abraham like a horse and decide to threaten him with a bunch of shotguns, Homer hugs Abe and then... they just drink beer while Abe tells a story that serves no purpose whatsoever? What the hell kind of a plot is that? Also, there was some stupid shit about E-cigs or whatever and Bart's love interest who happens to be Milhouse's cousin... yawn. Both plots weren't funny at all and didn't engage me in any way; both were as boring as hell all the way through. This truly qualifies as an episode worse than the Musk That Fell to Earth, and even that had jokes that tried to be a little humourous. 1/5, 1/10 (F).

I can't rant again about storytelling and coherency the second week in a row (and probably 10th time this year). I'll just say this. A few funny gags. Total train wreck otherwise. I cannot figure out what on earth Grampa's story was even about or supposed to be. And this is the fourth time or something that Bart has fallen for an older badass girl. I can't figure out why he even liked her, or why he eventually turned on her. Nothing in this episode rang true or even made sense to me, except the birthday party opener which seemed like it had more potential as the episode's actual story than wherever it wound up going.
    Signature.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ugh, that was terrible. The army story with the guy scolding Homer for how he treated his dad was boring and ended in a stupid way, with him hugging his father with guns pointed at them. And then we have another Bart-gets-a-girlfriend episode that contains no substance whatsoever. She's a completely plain character other than being Dutch, and Bart suddenly breaks up with her at the end for these apparent faults she never actually showed. And the show already tackled the kid-smoking angle in Smoke on the Daughter, and did it better. Yes, I'm praising a season 19 episode.

Also, there was a horrendous list "joke" at the movie theatre. God, this episode was just cringeworthy the whole way through. 1/5, contender for worst of the season.

Blog Entries

Oof. That was pretty terrible. Guess I'll just run through the whole episode.

The birthday party plot at the beginning was largely laugh-free and had some really weak "social commentary" - if the point was to slam overly elaborate birthday parties, they really went overboard with it. None of it is very believable, either - Kirk's not the guy who would sell his house to pay for Milhouse's party, and Homer shouldn't be able to afford renting the entire aviation museum for Rod. At this plot, the plot takes a sharp turn, and Grampa's old Air Force friends literally fall from the sky. The bit about Grampa previously being part of the Army, Navy, and Marines was amusing. The Grampa plot pretty much falls apart from here on out - Grampa's friends force Homer to spend time with his father, and Homer admits he loves Grampa under gunpoint. The slam on future dystopian novels was absurdly long but I did like the reference to Mr. Burns, A Post-Electric Play. Meanwhile, Bart has a crush on Milhouse's cousin. I mean, I'm not expecting New Kid on the Block-quality emotion or anything, but the emotional climax is Annika rubbing her nose on Bart. I suppose you can argue that that plot was more of a plot about e-cigarettes, but the "satire" there wasn't especially strong either - I liked the bubblegum, strawberry shortcake, and watermelon dream flavors, but that's about it. Bart eventually telling Annika at the airport that he never loved her really confuses me; then again, we never did get enough screentime (or meaningful screentime) to see what was going on with their relationship. Didn't Bart take up e-cigarettes just to impress her in the first place?

Around the third act, Grampa starts a flashback - young Grampa just leaving the broken car in the middle of the desert was amusing. Grampa's flight adventure was absurd and didn't amount to anything - frankly, the whole flashback didn't do much, which is a shame because I thought the whole environment was done fairly well. Meeting Mona "Sunny" Simpson was sort of surprising (though the fact that it was her was obvious from the start) - there's this nagging feeling that this breaks some earlier continuity, but it's one of Grampa's rambling stories so I don't really care. At the end, Grampa clears up the really ambiguous moral of "make a grand gesture to impress a woman, but the relationship won't last," which leads to whatever it is Bart did at the airport.

The fourth act with Grampa smoking an e-cigarette for the steak was a nice way to tie together a trainwreck of an episode. The air force music over the credits was catchy - have we ever heard it before?

Edit: Couple extra things - I'm kind of enjoying how HD Simpsons sporadically references Milhouse's parents being related. Not too shabby for a running gag. And the "Fly Your Own Drone - No Terrorists" sign gag and the terrorist's absurdly long name were somewhat funny.

Uh...yeah. That was bad. Disjointed plots, incredibly dull satire, and devoid of any true laughs. Generous 4/10. Second-worst of season 26 after Musk.

Also, RABF?
    Last edited by peyrin; 05-03-2015 at 08:08 PM.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Glenn Close was not in the cast list in Fox's press release.

Except for Chumley on Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales, walruses are not found in the Antarctic.

Did anybody else's screen go blank right when Annika started smoking? I'll take the lack of anybody else noticing it as a "no" - well, that, and if it would have been something that Fox did, then the local station's bug would have remained on the screen.

This is Milhouse's third different birthday party on the show.

Helium-voiced Homer sounds like Fat Tony's associate Legs (or is it Louie?).

Homer can do a much better impersonation of Krusty.

Why couldn't Abe be in both the Air Force and the Army? The Air Force was part of the Army until after WWII.

Annika looks like high school age Marge with Milhouse eyebrows.

Sjoelbak really is a thing.

Grampa meeting Mona in the early 1950s makes sense, if Homer was born around 1956 (so he would graduate high school in 1974).

Written by Jeff Westerbrook
    Directed by Chris Clements
    No billboard or chalkboard
    Couch: the couch is made of ice, in the Antarctic, and everybody is a penguin - except Homer, who is a walrus
    Special Guest Voice: Glenn Close, Carice van Houten
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly, Russi Taylor
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-LV

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Did anybody else's screen go blank right when Annika started smoking? I'll take the lack of anybody else noticing it as a "no" - well, that, and if it would have been something that Fox did, then the local station's bug would have remained on the screen.
    I'm in LA, and I had that happen. Also, the episode started at 7:59 PM for the third time in a row.

Helium-voiced Homer sounds like Fat Tony's associate Legs (or is it Louie?).
    Legs is Shearer, Louie is Castellaneta.

Written by Jeff Westerbrook
    I think it's Westbrook.

Yeah, this sucked. Just finished it. Few notes:

+The beginning plot didn't make much sense (why does Homer care about ruining birthdays?), though it was a little funny. But is it really something worth satirizing? There really wasn't much of an attempt at satire with e-cigs either. HD Simpsons sucks at satire. Nothing new.
    -Homer never says "frickin'", so it seemed out-of-character to hear that.
    -The Milhouse cousin-incest joke wasn't funny. Wasn't sure why they had to put that in there.
    -The "list gag" was pointless. It would've been fine if he just said "finally, a movie about a dystopian future," highlighting how Homer is an idiot and doesn't realize how common that plot is. Instead we take up a minute or so hearing a list of movies.
    +The really long Muslim name in the movie kinda made me laugh
    +Spikerpoopen...the Dutch humor was kind of funny, but I agree--Annika herself is an uninteresting character, like most of Bart's girlfriends. That's how "characters of the day" usually are, though.
    +I liked Grampa's flashback. It did come out of nowhere and had little to do with the "plot", but it was actually a decent part of the episode and the only reason why this episode isn't getting a 1/10 from me. It was also interesting to see Grampa and Mona before they were married.
    -The "breakup" was pointless. Their relationship got, what, 2 minutes of screentime? It wasn't even a relationship.
    +I actually liked hearing the Dutch, mainly because I have a thing for other languages. But even that was weird.

So...birthdays, planes, e-cigs, Dutch, 50s flashback...what in the world was that episode even about?

2/10. I agree with pkkao. Second worst of the season.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I was pretty much expecting the worst from this episode due to the awful jokes they chose for the promos and because one of the plots was a Bart Gets a Girlfriend one. Well, the first act did have it's funny moments and I did actually find some of the birthday plot to be funny, but the moment when that awful girly punching joke from the promos happened, the episode went completely downhill from there and it starts becoming painful to watch. We get some really cringeworthy jokes especially this awful list gag. Now I'm not the biggest hater of list gags, but they are definitely a lazy way to fill the time and this one is quite possibly the worst list gag on the entire show. HE'S JUST LISTING THE NAMES OF DYSTOPIAN MOVIES!!! There's no joke to it other than the fake Mr. Burns one, but other than that he's just referencing titles of actual movies. Hell, right when that scene was happening right around the time when Homer was listing "Elysium, Snowpiercer, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" I knew they were going to drag this "joke" on. Even though this episode is pretty awful I don't have a lot to say about it. It has some cringeworthy jokes especially some of the ones involving e-cigs, although I'll admit that Apu offering them to Bart in flavors right after he said "This is not kid stuff!" and there were a few funny jokes in the second and third acts like The Exhaustables 3 which was actually a clever play on a movie title which is something the show usually fails at... and pretty much title play in general. I guess my main gripe with the episode besides it being painfully unfunny is that it's just boring. There's not a lot of interesting things to say about this episode and it's just further evidence that Jeff Westbrook is one of my least favorite writers on the show. While he's not as bad as Tim Long, the majority of his episodes are just dull. Speaking of Tim Long, I'm really hoping next weeks episode doesn't suck, but at the same time expecting the worst because of his track record. I mean Albert Brooks has never been in a bad episode, but I feel like he's going to jinx it with that episode. Anyways, this episode is one of the worst episodes of this season. A very generous 3/10.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This was really hard to follow. What was Milhouse's cousin doing at Rod's birthday party anyway, and she also looked 16 or something. The relationship between Bart and Annika was not developed at all, nor was the main plot. I'm not even really sure what happened in it. Lots of bad jokes as well. I kind of liked Grampa's flashback, but that was about it. 2/10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    There's no joke to it other than the fake Mr. Burns one
    Mr. Burns, A Post-Electric Play is a real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Yes, I'm praising a season 19 episode.
    Aw, season 19 is pretty decent for its era.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Mr. Burns, A Post-Electric Play is a real thing.
    Huh, what do you know? I just thought it was a jokey inclusion to that list gag.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohADeerAFemaleDeer View Post
    What was Carice van Houten mumbling over the credits?
    When she goes to change into the striped leggings, she rants: "You know what you can do, listen to me, I've had it up to here, I don't have to take this from you, you're just a couple of stupid American boys..."

During the credits, it's a couple of Dutch versions of "You can kiss my ass, get bent" followed by "I don't feel like wasting any more words on you, I'm going home, goodbye."

Banned
    Blog Entries

I forgot to mention this in my original post, but since no one else has mentioned it I feel like I should be addressed. What is up with Rod and Todd and their incestuous fantasies with marriage. There's this one part in The Man Who Grew Too Much where they directly state that they want to marry each other when they grow up which I can't believe the show got away with and here Rod wants to marry his dad. Then there's Peeping Mom with Todd wanting to marry Maggie which technically isn't incestuous and that did make me laugh, but still what is up with him wanting to marry people they're either related to or neighbors with? Not only is it disturbing, but it's also inconsistent as they can't seem to make up their mind with who they want to marry.

Blog Entries

Thank you @Matty!

@BuyMyCereal They are severely sheltered and emotionally stunted, so they are developmentally several years behind where they should be. In very young children who don't really understand what marriage is, they often go through periods of being "in love" with someone close to them whom they deeply cherish, and they declare their intentions to marry them--often and proudly. It's pretty normal to hear a 3 year old girl say she's going to marry her dad, her dog, or even her plush unicorn.

It's technically normal behavior, but they're still just cheap incest jokes.

Thread Information