14 19.18%
  • 1/5 *is struck by a taxi*

4 5.48%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "My Fare Lady" (TABF07)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: "My Fare Lady" (TABF07)

Marge becomes a chauffeur after she grows tired of chauffeuring her own kids around. Meanwhile, Moe becomes the Nuclear Power Plant's janitor.
    Guest starring Christopher Lloyd as Jim Ignatowski and Rich Sommer as Young Man.
    Rate n Review ITT

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Oh hey, they used the recent pixel art opening!

The Jetsons opening was good, too.

As was the driving montage.

That Grampa joke was pretty lame.

I like the Elaine Stritch parody, although her hooking up with Moe was cringeworthy.

ACT TWO:

The other driving montage is pretty lame.

Why the hell are the inspectors listening to a lowly janitor?

Not sure how to feel about them referencing the Elon Musk episode.

Mr. Burns is well characterized well once again. Unexpected trend this season, but a very welcome one.

ACT THREE:

That song was pretty bad.

This entire act was pretty aimless as well. It just seemed like they were in a hurry to wrap stuff up.

OVERALL:

I actually kinda liked this one, up until the uneven third act. 4/5 (B)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

+++ Great intro!
    --- REALLY AWFUL FILLER.
    + Bender appears.
    ++ "War in mideast" "Peace in midwest"
    + Bart and Geralds birthday.
    ++ Funny car
    --- VERY long montage.
    --- JUST END!
    + Yes it ended!
    ++ Moe's possesions.
    +++ Marge swooning over icemaker.
    +++ Funny smiling car.
    --- Yay! Another marge gets a job episode!
    ++ Lady being defliborated.
    + 3rd and 5th husband.
    + Callback to The Last Of The Red Hat Mamas.
    +++ Women fighting.
    + My Precious craphole!
    + I'm Dying.
    End of act 1. Very good! 8.5/10, would be higher, but has a couple of bad scenes.
    + Mouths drinking beer
    -- Dear lord, not SHAUNA!
    + Gil's fact.
    ++ Montage had funny parts.
    +++ About time they referenced my favorite band! All is forgiven.
    ++ Those smart cars are cutting into my business.
    --Christopher Lloyd's voice here sounds bad.
    + Them playing volleyball with suit.
    ++ Homer watering plants.
    ++ Homer getting eaten by one.
    Overall, another strong act. 8/10
    + Moe seeing his face.
    ++ Homer burning plants.
    + The car is now sad.
    + Moe's reaction to the bar.
    Overall not as funny, but 3rd acts aren't usually funny. 7/10
    + Weird ending.
    Overall, great. 8/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

Not bad I guess. Couldn't figure out who Rich Sommer voiced. Anyone know?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, an episode as good as the experimental couch gag! I actually loved pretty much most of this because it actually had an interesting story. 5/5

Also, was that supposed to be Katy Segal (from Sons of Anarchy) in Moe's on Ladies' Night?

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

look out "the world" Two Guys, a Girl, and a Christmas kat's Avatar
    Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airalba View Post
    Not bad I guess. Couldn't figure out who Rich Sommer voiced. Anyone know?
    Young Man

Blog Entries

Yeah, I knew that, but I couldn't find him.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really, really average. There wasn't really anything of note in thos episode, and I'm already forgetting things. My favorite joke was Gil's Cash Cab line; I used to be hooked on that show. The ending was really weird too. Just a regular episode, not bad, not great.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    ACT ONE:

Oh hey, they used the recent pixel art opening!

The Jetsons opening was good, too.

As was the driving montage.

That Grampa joke was pretty lame.

I like the Elaine Stritch parody, although her hooking up with Moe was cringeworthy.

ACT TWO:

The other driving montage is pretty lame.

Why the hell are the inspectors listening to a lowly janitor?

Not sure how to feel about them referencing the Elon Musk episode.

Mr. Burns is well characterized well once again. Unexpected trend this season, but a very welcome one.

ACT THREE:

That song was pretty bad.

This entire act was pretty aimless as well. It just seemed like they were in a hurry to wrap stuff up.

OVERALL:

I actually kinda liked this one, up until the uneven third act. 4/5 (B)
    I agree with this. This was pretty decent 4/5

One thing that sets my OCD off: Marge has a smartphone, but the notification sound is a (m)apple ringtone.

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

I honestly thought the Moe subplot was going to be really tired and stupid, but it ended up being the more interesting part of the episode for me. I don't mean that in a "damning with faint praise" way - I honestly really enjoyed this episode! A lot of jokes worked for me (one of my favorites was Snake leading Chief Wiggum through a high-speed chase so they could both get their children to practice) the plot kept my attention the whole way through. On one hand, I think both plots (or at least the Moe one) could have benefited from more development by jettisoning one and keeping the other, but on the other hand I like the way the two plots came together. 4/5

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why so few reviews?

Blog Entries

Because it's season 26 and the people here who watch new episodes are a minority now.

Blog Entries

and it also hasn't aired in best coast.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Blog Entries

but the main reason is because modern simpsons sucks

Blog Entries

The decrease in activity in these threads made me really sad for a while, because I fondly remember when there were multiple posts a minute in these. It doesn't bother me as much anymore, though. Time heals most wounds.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

There were a lot of plots going on here, none of which was developed very well. Let's see, Marge starts working for the app driving people around, and she gets exhausted and the taxi drivers lose their business. So they attack her (because that is what people do when their businesses are failing), even though she is clearly not the only person in town working for the app. She seems to have decided to quit already though, even before the taxi drivers attack her, so I'm not sure what the point of all that was. This plot didn't amount to much anyway, though. The whole thing felt very underdeveloped.

The Moe plot reminded me a lot of American History X-cellent in how Moe became a hardass when he became Homer, Lenny, and Carl's boss and they started disliking him. It was almost exactly the same, in fact. And that wasn't an original plot in the first place. So that was uninteresting. And what bar did Homer, Lenny, and Carl go to when Moe's was closed down, and how did Moe get his bar back? It didn't seem like he worked at the plant long enough to save up the money to fix it, so I have no idea. One thing I noticed that I found kind of strange was that almost everyone in the audience at that woman's performance was gay, with the exception of Moe and the Old Jewish Man. So I take it that this woman is popular with gay men. So why did she assume Moe wasn't gay? I was also thinking that Homer having a "feminine side" would become another plot, but it didn't. It seemed like it was presented as another conflict that was developing. Not sure why that was brought up, then. It also never mentioned if/how Homer got his old job back.

On the other hand, there were some things I liked about this episode. It made me chuckle a few times. I especially liked whatever the hell that thing was at the very end (with the mouth talking to Moe). This episode seemed to have a little bit of energy, and it flowed fairly well. That is more than can be said about the last four episodes or so. So yeah, it wasn't terrible, just a lot of poorly-written mediocrity for the most part. 2.5/10

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I wonder if it's possible to air just the first half of the episode, then submit it in the "Short Format Animated Program" category at the Emmys - the first part was much better than the second.

In the opening, the Lard Lad Donut boy winks at Marge as she drives by

Bender is at the "Why Humans Failed" exhibit.

The Simpsons computer has a dot matrix printer.

Good thing that wasn't Cash Cab, as Gil would have had to get out; the Golden Gate Bridge hasn't been the longest span between two towers since the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge opened.

Another date "problem"; Homer's file is dated "1989-", referring to when the show started, but Homer didn't start working at the plant until Marge was pregnant with Bart,
    which would mean that Bart would have to be in high school now.

There is a reference to "The Musk who Fell to Earth"; when was the last time an episode referenced another episode from the same season? (The show took a chance that "The Musk who Fell to Earth" would be ready for airing first.)

There was no subplot concerning where Homer drank while Moe's was closed.

In the closing credits, there is a photo of Paul Robertson and Ivan Dixon, with the caption that Jeremy Dower was missing because his wife was having a baby

"I thought Ivan Dixon was black...and died in 2008." No, that's the Ivan Dixon who played Sergeant Kinchloe on Hogan's Heroes.

Written by Marc Wilmore
    Directed by Dominic OOPS Michael Polcino
    Pixel Main Title by Paul Robertson and Ivan Dixon
    Pixel Main Title Music by Jeremy Dower
    Blackboard: PIXEL ART IS NOT REAL ART
    Couch: The couch gag is in "8-bit animation" along with the rest of the opening
    Special Guest Voice: Christopher Lloyd, Rich Sommer
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 02-16-2015 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Corrected director's name

Blog Entries

The Moe plot starts off with a somewhat unrelated plot point where Moe goes to a concert, which at the very least establishes how poor Moe is (since the plot called for him to be poor here, I guess) - serviceable, but not spectacluar. The relationship between Homer, Lenny, and Carl (once again - no Barney?) and Moe kind of went back and forth throughout the episode - Homer & Co. screw Moe over, then they lend Moe a hand, then Moe is a jerk to them, then they're all friends again. Yet throughout all of this there wasn't any really solid character interaction, unlike, say, in The Saga of Carl. There, we can really see their friendship hold each other together beneath all of the jokes they're saying; here, it's mostly Moe saying "youse guys done me a favor." I like the idea of Moe being promoted because of his skills at dealing with inspectors (it's always nice to have justification behind all the wacky jobs these characters are getting), but like American History X-cellent, we don't actually get to see Moe as a boss. Outside of a single 30-second scene which shows Homer being demoted (which isn't even Moe being a jerk - he's saving Homer's job) and a quick line about Moe getting some executive privileges (again - not exactly being a real jerk), it's not established how bad of a boss Moe is. As a result, it's hard to buy into the fact that Homer & Co. abandon him, and harder to feel sorry for Moe because at this point you're not really sure whose fault all this is. Then Moe goes back to his old job at the bar because that's where he feels at home. Not because he's with his friends, but because "there's a two-foot wall of oak separating us" or something. Despite all my gripes, this is a fairly good subplot for the HD era: the conflict is solid, the pacing is surprisingly brisk (no lingering list gags), and I liked seeing Moe satisfied to be back with his friends at the bar at the end.

The main plot is better. Since we're drawing parallels to other HD episodes left and right, I'll mention Homer Scissorhands here - someone gets a job, someone is miserable at said job, said person quits said job. Again, it's nice to have justification behind Marge's wacky new job, although it's kind of convenient that she just bumps into a rideshare guy at the gas station. Both montages do a good job showing how busy and how miserable Marge is, respectively. However, outside of that, I can't exactly remember seeing how miserable Marge is - wouldn't she miss her family? Wouldn't she be tired of ungrateful customers and being antagonized by taxi drivers? In Homer Scissorhands, we can see that - Homer is sick and tired of the gossip he's hearing. Here...Marge is just tired or something. Other than that, I don't have any major complaints with the story - it's nice that they didn't devolve into lame rideshare parodies, the conflict, although unnecessarily dangerous, is decent (taxi drivers trying to "eliminate" Marge is strange, but a confrontation between the two makes sense), and there were some nice moments for the secondary characters.

Besides all this, without looking into the episode too much, it's an overall enjoyable episode except for one part - the ending where both plots converge. It's a great idea to have Midge give Moe a ride where both lament their jobs and wish to go back to the status quo, but what exactly happened in that scene? They played a somewhat depressing song, had rain everywhere, and story resolved. Seems rather anticlimactic to me. Marge giving the smile to Moe was a nice touch though.

A couple loose ends: Musk callback was kind of cool (shame they had to pick such a crappy episode to reference). Homer's adventures in plant-watering might have been a decent subplot or, at the very least, a way to show how bad of a boss Moe is, but it just flops as a feminine joke. The Jetsons opening was reminiscent of the Flintstones parody that opened Marge vs. the Monorail, except less funny. Liked the music tune, though. And the pixel opening is incredible; seems lazy that Jean & Co. just rip fan art off the Internet and slap it as a couch gag, but this was so amazing that...eh, let 'em have this one. Not many jokes I remember, but there were a couple good background gags. Best joke was the fake-out with Chief Wiggum chasing Snake to get their kids to practice.

Overall, a mostly enjoyable watch that fizzles out at the end, although after writing a mostly negative review, I imagine this won't hold up very well on rewatches. 7.5/10
    Last edited by peyrin; 02-17-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Written by Marc Wilmore
    Directed by Dominic Polcino
    michael, not dominic

i fall and i fall and i fall bias's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Three terrible episodes in a row! Yay!

- 7 minutes 13 seconds till the plot started
    ? I thought their fridge had an ice maker? The hell?
    + Homer the Moe callback?
    - Absolut Krusty. We did not need this callback.
    ? Laney Fontaine = (Joan rivers?)
    ++ B Sharps on the wall
    - Cheery Red Tomatoes. What a mediocre callback :/
    -- Book club argument to fight goes on too long. I really hate callbacks.
    - Moe falls in love again
    - Poor Moe *eyeroll*
    -- Moe screaming too long
    - Can you pass a background check?
    --- Shauna ugh
    - Moe works at the power plant!
    -- Nelson's poor!
    --- Gil ugh
    + Moe's a janitor
    ? B-plot is the whole episode
    - Hahaha ethnic taxi driver
    ++ That guy from Fabulous Faker Boy
    +++ Christopher Lloyd!
    --- Callback to Elon Musk? REALLY
    -- Too similar to Carl becoming a supervisor in Devil Wears Nada
    --- Now they hate Moe
    ? Some bondage guy?
    --- Moe is ugly joke!
    --- Marge is tired because of driving, even though she never was before
    - Homer is now feminine
    ? Plots crossed??
    -- Stupid driving song is stupid
    --- Passenger is Moe! Obvious plot is obvious
    --- Moe rebuilds his bar. Status quo!
    -- Now the taxi guys are gonna kill Marge
    --- Moe saves Marge -.- OBVIOUS PLOT IS, guess what!, OBVIOUS
    ++ Christopher Lloyd!
    ? Jacking our suds = sex reference?
    ? TALKING MOUTH? WHAT THE FUCK
    ++ Liked the picture of the couch gag guy with the caption on it during the credits

and end.
    1/5, what a shitty episode. I didn't enjoy that at all. The B plot ruled this episode, just like last weeks.

Also, did Moe get fired from the power plant?
    Last edited by bias; 02-15-2015 at 09:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomog
    father dies while son tinychats

Banned
    Blog Entries

Really surprised to see that so far it's getting better reception than Walking Big & Tall. I find it ironic how most people were lukewarm towards that episode, but I ended up enjoying while this episode seems to be mixed with people it's liked by a good amount of people while I was pretty underwhelmed by it and it was actually pretty disappointing since this episode had a strong premise and some really funny promos. (Well minus the Lady Duffman and Moe saying "WWWHHHAAAA?", but it was in that mini promo and they usually aren't that good anyways.)

So how funny is this episode? Well it's just hit and miss, but not the typical kind. The jokes that worked were really funny and the jokes that didn't were just stupid. Yeah there's a few I kind of want to address. The main one is Shauna's appearance in this episode she's in for a brief moment and there is this funny joke where Kearney was going to do her belly button piercing with a staple gun, but her one line kind of kills it just a little. It's when she says "I'm Shauna." Now I know she said that to Kearney, but it felt so meta. It feels like it was the writers trying to remind us that's her name because they know how bland of a character she is. I don't know if it is meta or not, but it just felt like it because of how unneeded it was and I'm confused with whether it was even supposed to be funny or not. Then there's the love tester callback. It just felt like a forced callback and unlike last week's episode the callbacks in that one were relevant to the plot. It was just a dumb callback joke moving on. Also I noticed they did a callback to The Last Hat of the Red Mamas right in that mini promo before the episode aired. Again, why did they reference such a dull episode? I mean I can at least somewhat understand why they would reference classic episodes because those were actually good, but why the fuck would they reference a bland season 17 episode. Why don't you reference Marge and Homer Turn a Couple Play and The Wife Aquatic while you're at it? Seriously, only die hard fans are going to get this callback and even to them it doesn't mean anything. Then there's the montage. Now I'm not the kind of guy to complain about montages on this show, but this one with Marge driving her kids to places was just boring and wasn't particularly funny. There's this one part in the montage where I thought they were going to do a joke with Moleman, but he just nearly gets hit by the car. What a waste! Also the music wasn't wasn't very good.

Now I did say there were some good jokes and the funniest ones in no particular order was the gag with Moe popping the suit thinking he stabbed someone, the Jetsons opening and Homer getting bitten by the venus flytrap. Also I did chuckle at the reference to that Elon Musk episode. Some might see it as the writers knowing that episode was bad or something along those lines and in that case I wouldn't blame them, but it was amusing. As for the overall writing of this episode, I got that typical Marc Wilmore vibe which isn't a good thing. This whole episode just screams wasted potential. While I was more interesting about the idea of Moe working at the Power Plant, Marge's plot sounded like it could be fun mainly because Christopher Lloyd was going to guest star in this episode and I thought that alone could make the plot work. Unfortunately, Christopher Lloyd's role was really wasted and his voicing of the character just didn't sound right. The plots of this episode didn't really go anywhere and the episode felt really rushed as when the episode ended it just gave me the "That's it?" feeling. I was just very indifferent to this episode and this is Marc Wilmore's final episode. Wow, it's like he didn't even at least make an effort to have his last episode end on a high note. It's pretty much the same quality as some of his other episodes and the sad thing is that he actually wasn't that bad of a writer in the early Jean-era. After that though he mostly turned in some uninspired episodes. He could've ended his Simpsons writing career with Four Regrettings of a Funeral and it wouldn't have made a difference at all. This was just a very underwhelming episode that should've been so much better, but it also could've been worse. It's a passable episode that works as a time waster, but that's about it. 6/10

Blog Entries

@BuyMyCereal I thought you'd like this one

I enjoyed this. I felt like the episode was trying new things and new storytelling and joke techniques. Which I really appreciate after two and a half decades.
    Signature.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biasesumo3 View Post
    @BuyMyCereal I knew you'd like this one
    I didn't though. This is one of those kind of episodes that I don't like, but I don't dislike either. I'm not sure if you actually read everything I said or not because I did make it clear that it's an average episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuyMyCereal View Post
    I didn't though. This is one of those kind of episodes that I don't like, but I don't dislike either. I'm not sure if you actually read everything I said or not because I did make it clear that it's an average episode.
    I skimmed. I'm gonna change it to "I thought you'd like this one"

Lot's of positive vibes in this one. I sensed they really put some effort on the episode, both jokes and especially animation-wise. Some great mirror and water effects, not to mention the Jetsons beginning. Also, always nice to hear them coming up with songs. Moe plot was bit rushed, but that's the problem of 21 minutes runtime.
    Solid episode 4/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Lot's of positive vibes in this one. I sensed they really put some effort on the episode, both jokes and especially animation-wise. Some great mirror and water effects, not to mention the Jetsons beginning. Also, always nice to hear them coming up with songs. Moe plot was bit rushed, but that's the problem of 21 minutes runtime.
    Solid episode 4/5.
    6 minutes nearly of that had nothing to do with the plot

Blog Entries

I don't think Bart said anything in this episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I don't think Bart said anything in this episode.
    Not the first time

Thread Information