5 5.75%
  • 3/5 eh it was ok

19 21.84%
  • 2/5 *is run over by a tesla car*

20 22.99%
  • 1/5 elon musk should invent a better episode

39 44.83%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "The Musk Who Fell To Earth" (TABF04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: "The Musk Who Fell To Earth" (TABF04)

Elon Musk arrives in Springfield, and he and Homer become fast friends. But Musk soon incurs the wrath of Mr. Burns when his ideas become over-the-top, prompting Homer to try and end their friendship.
    R&R after it airs.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

sticky'ing

will be opened after airing
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

Funny stuff:
    "Ah, Henry Ford!"

Tapped Out cameo

That's about it

2.5/5

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Space camp

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

No intro. For a modern episode, that's a good thing. It usually means less time wasting filler.

Ugh, that scene with Homer's eye dangling was way too much.

So... Elon just happened to land in The Simpsons yard?

I kinda liked the Raisin Detre scene.

ACT TWO:

That whole paper thing went on way too long.

I liked Mr. Burns thinking Elon Musk was Henry Ford. That was a rare GOOD outdated Burns moment.

Hell, Burns is pretty good his whole act.

Wow, when did we last see Arnie Pye?

Ugh, they're portraying Elon in a pretty ass kissing way.

ACT THREE:

I liked the scene with Burns and the trapdoor.

OVERALL:

Eh, it wasn't without its charm. 3/5 (C+)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

Terrible episode! There were like no funny moments, and the plot was all over the place and stupid. Just an Elon Musk ass-kissing fest. 1/5

And plus, if he doesn't care about the money than how come his cars have a starting price of 71k?
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Musk Who Fell To Earth!
    ? No Intro or couch gag?
    ++ Bird Skeleton dropping on Lisa
    + Homer Toupee
    ++ Homer in bag
    + Homer's eye falling out.
    ++ Raisin Detra
    - REALLY early commercial.
    Overall, great start! 8.5/10!
    -- Overly long and poorly done paper gag
    +++ Chief Wiggum shooting Lou.
    - Smither's voice sounded off.
    -- Another dumb gag.
    + "It's called mostiure"
    + Imaginer making out with lamp.
    + Violin drone
    ++ Hamster vomiting
    + Willie pushing wheel
    + Burns gag
    + The last little rascal dies
    +++ Arnie pie drinking
    ++ All the cars are cute!
    ++ Musk rulez
    End of act 1, absolutely amazing! 9/10 would be 10/10 if not for couple of bad gags.
    + Will Drive for justice
    --- awful song
    ++ Smithers falling
    + Hitmen
    ++ Hitmen shooting
    + Elon's face
    End of act 3. Not as good. 7.5/10, currently 8.5/10
    + Elon is playing Tapped out
    +Wearing a helmet
    Overall, pretty good. 8/10
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

ok, it wasn't a real "kiss-ass" guest star episode, but that doesn't make it good. elon musk is an obvious non-actor, because he read all his lines flatly. and the first act was sooo dumb. i though musk's ship would crush the eagle, saving the day, but nope. they solved the problem and then musk just shows up.

liked the henry ford, powerpoint, and tapped out jokes. but that's really it. just a boring episode that didn't have that great of a premise in the first place.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

While not as bad as Lisa Goes Gaga, this "Guest-ipode" was bunch of barely funny filler. I had to force myself to make it through it and I don't care about Ellion Musk. If the show as actually good and the writers were "trying" to be funny, they could've made up a fictitious character that was a parody of Musk instead of him just randomly falling out of the sky and being the center of attention.

1/5, so far the worst of the season. (With a 'z'..durr-hurr)
    Last edited by Patches O'houlihan; 01-26-2015 at 12:21 AM.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Who is Elon Musk?

Blog Entries

Carl singing 'Blues in the night' was the only thing that really interested me. And it didn't look too bad for a Nastuk directed episode.
    Last edited by zartok-35; 01-25-2015 at 10:44 PM.

Good Morning, Captain NoDeerForAMonth's Avatar

they are running out of guest stars, they have to resort to star engineers now

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

That was weird....2/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
    And plus, if he doesn't care about the money than how come his cars have a starting price of 71k?
    Because it costs money to build them?

That was painful. I'm as big a Simpsons supporter as they come, and that was by far the worst celebrity-lovefest episode they've done. Way worse than Lady Gaga and Mel Gibson.
    Signature.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I find this episode to have a lack of cohesion. There are some bits that work, but a lot of it didn't really hit a pulse for me. The whole core concept of bringing a small town to the forefront of the future is an interesting idea, but I'm grasping at straws on that one. Elon Musk's line readings weren't all that good, and the gags were all over the place. The Musk-Burns partnership (turned rivalry) was an inevitable angle, considering episodes like Monty Can't By Me Love and The Burns and the Bees, but the relationship I saw as the best was between Musk and Lisa. Lisa's always trying to find ways to grow beyond the confines of her family, and I felt kind of sad that her admiration of Musk or his innovations was never really reciprocated - or handled well, from a plot standpoint. Otherwise, I find this to be a rather mediocre episode.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

Banned
    Blog Entries

This episode was about elon musk and homer simpson coming up with ideas and then burns decides to get involved which then causes the plant to go broke and the town follows there afters, elon musks ideas end up destroying the town of Springfield instead of helping it and then he leaves on his space ship, in conclusion this episode was great, i laughed my ass off at Wiggum shooting lou, i liked the Skobo's call back, it was cool to see the tapped out game at the end, i felt this episode was rushed with the characters talking fast and the jokes went by quick too, there was no couch gag but all in all i gotta say musk rulz. 5/5

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just a pretty bland epiode all around. Nothing really stood out, and not much was funny. Musk was pretty hard to understand at times as well. 2/5 I guess.

I was happy that they skipped the opening.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

So cliche of Simpsons today. The Maggie name bit was alright.

Who the hell is Musk? I didn't know before the Google search. Cancel the show already. If you need to rely on celebrities randomly appearing in the Simpsons' backyard, then just cancel it. The car scene was stupid as hell.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

So Elon Musk falls out of the sky in a spaceship and stays with the Simpsons, and then re-designs the power plant to make it more efficient while expanding the power plant's market, which makes the power plant lose money for some reason, causing Mr. Burns to want to kill him until his assassins die, and also causing the town to enter a depression, while Homer and Musk have a very poorly developed friendship, and while Lisa wants to spend time with Musk. My god, this is one of the most unfocused episodes of the series. I didn't understand anything that was happening in this episode. 1/10

EDIT: It's kind of refreshing that a guest-star ass kissing fest (which is what this was) featured a guest star that is apparently obscure, rather than whoever the flavour of the month happens to be at the time. It's also kind of refreshing (to someone like me who is not very interested in pop culture) that it is not an entertainer for once. Still not an excuse for guest-star ass kissing fests to exist though. They are all terrible and this is no exception.
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 01-25-2015 at 07:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    but the relationship I saw as the best was between Musk and Lisa. Lisa's always trying to find ways to grow beyond the confines of her family, and I felt kind of sad that her admiration of Musk or his innovations was never really reciprocated - or handled well, from a plot standpoint.
    I feel the same way, and it especially bothered me because females, especially starting from such a young age, are pushed out of STEM fields.

I don't think there's much more i could say on this episode that hasn't been covered in the first few reviews. Elon Musk has got to be the most wooden guest star they've ever had on the show.
    Brrapt Brrapt Pew Pew!

Blog Entries

Elon Musk wasn't an interesting character and the jokes were terrible. This would be just another day at the park for The Simpsons, but its terribleness is compounded by how it's a guest star episode.

Seriously? Al Jean says it's not a guest star ass kissing episode, but there were barely any Musk jabs in it. Musk's car password being "Musk Rules" is one of the safest disses I've seen in a while.

Has anyone else noticed that they've had this weird habit of awkwardly and unnaturally shoving "ay carumba"s into episodes through ADR audio, overtop shots? Off the top of my head I can't think of other examples than tonight's, but it's something I've definitely noticed in recent years.

*RIP Marcia Wallace* TriforceBun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that they've had this weird habit of awkwardly and unnaturally shoving "ay carumba"s into episodes through ADR audio, overtop shots? Off the top of my head I can't think of other examples than tonight's, but it's something I've definitely noticed in recent years.
    Haven't seen tonight's show yet, but this has been going on for almost the whole Jean era. I've been watching a lot of S16 lately and there're several scenes around this time that do that. I'm guessing it's because they hold on some visual gag a little too long and they feel it's too "dead" without some sort of sound clip, maybe? But you're right, it's weird and unnatural. Yeardley often kinda says it in a strange way these days too; instead of a surprised shout at something horrifying, it's often more of this lower groan, like how someone might grumble, "Oh brother."
    My Nintendo webcomic,

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jesus, Elon Musk has to be the worst performing guest star on the show ever. He doesn't emote at all and it's clear the simpsons staff didn't even care enough to direct him to actually try and act. Also everything here was unfunny, awkward and cringey. 0/5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

That was a steaming pile of meh - and what kind of an ending was that? (And what was the reason for Bart manually driving the car?)

Marge pre-heated the oven to 375 degrees.

Musk's rocket didn't leave any scorch marks on the grass.

Homer thinks the person who put wheels on luggage is a greater inventor than Thomas Edison.

Written by Neil Campbell
    Directed by Matthew Nastuk
    No billboard, blackboard, or couch
    Special Guest Voice: Elon Musk
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

27. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bleh. Random opening with the eagle was bleh. Musk's voice acting was bleh (acknowledging his dead tone voice at the end doesn't excuse the fact that it was bad and at points illegible). Homer's bond with Musk was bleh and robotic. The Simpson family and Springfield kissing Musk's ass was bleh. Burn teaming up with Musk was bleh, with the towns destruction and Burns trying to kill him rushed through and never resolved.

Overall, another extremely mediocre, bleh episode in the HD lineup. Not enough cringy/stupid moments to place it with the shows worst, but still really bad.

5.2/10, or 2/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

What the hell was that?

First off, I have to wonder who thought this was a good idea. Guest star ass-kissing spectaculars have always been disastrous, but at least it makes sense to feature comedians like Cheech and Chong or Mel Gibson. Why give the honor to someone like Elon Musk? I suppose the idea of Musk feuding with fellow billionaire Mr. Burns or Musk acting as a straight man to Springfield's wacky antics could somehow work ("work" meaning not be a trainwreck), but unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, that didn't happen.

Anyway, the episode opens with a strange bit about a bald eagle - the callback to Lisa's birdhouse at the end would have worked if they had spent some time showing Musk and Lisa's interaction. Then, Elon Musk walks out of a spaceship to be praised endlessly by Lisa, which, according to Al Jean, is not ass-kissing. I'm not really sure how to describe what happens after Musk shows up - I guess trainwreck is the best way to put it. The plot kept jumping around with the only connection being that every scene featured Elon Musk one way or another - once again, not kissing a guest star's ass. The idea of "Homerisms" being inspiration for Elon's ideas was nice, but the "Homerisms" sounded like lines more suitable for Ralph Wiggum, the links between Homer's nonsense and Musk's brilliance was ridiculously tangential (and not in a very funny way either), and the idea is dropped several minutes in, only to be picked up toward the end. There were also a couple of minutes showing Musk feuding with Mr. Burns in there, but that went nowhere either. Well, it supposedly caused a depression, but once the minute or so of depression gags ended, that was totally dropped too. I had said before this episode aired that Burns' characterization would be important to make this episode work, but it turns out that his somewhat evil characterization here was wasted; instead of being an important character to the plot, he's used as a foil for Elon Musk. Edit: Just remembered that there was a scene where Burns gets assassins to try to kill Musk. What was the point of that again? The birdhouse gags also suggested that Lisa and Musk had something going, but that was clumsily shoved in between the other Musk-related antics going on. Bart also discovered Musk's master password and turned on manual driving (on self-driving cars that Musk supposedly gave to Springfield that we'll never see again)...because why not? Musk's acting was completely emotionless, which I guess is what the writers were going for based on all of the jokes about his lack of emotion in the episode. It's still pretty annoying to listen to for 20 minutes, and the payoff for all that by having Musk cry over Homer in space was worthless because it completely lacked buildup. The jokes were very average, and I'm sure there were plenty of Musk jokes that completely went over my head. The only real laugh I got from the episode was only the crowd of nerds cheering for Musk - it's funny 'cause it's true. I'm sure I speak for a lot of viewers tonight when I say that I had no idea who this guy was and what he does before this episode. Musk playing Tapped Out in space was a nice background gag...shame they missed the point of a background gag by wasting 10 seconds showing it just so the audience would get it.

The first truly bad episode of season 26, and boy was it a bad one - hopefully Jean & Co. got all of their season 26 unpleasantness out tonight. 1/10
    Last edited by peyrin; 01-25-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    While not as bad as Lisa Goes Gaga, this "Guest-ipode" was bunch of barely funny filler. I had to force myself to make it through it and I don't care about Ellion Musk. If the show as actually good and the writers were "trying" to be funny, they could've made up a fictitious character that was a parody of Musk instead of him just randomly falling out of the sky and being the center of attention.

1/5, so far the worst of the season.
    How would a lame caricature that is obviously parodying Elon Musk be an improvement over just showing Musk himself? Think Mapple - everyone knows it's obviously Apple, but they have to keep beating around the bush with that extra letter.

Also, I'm amused (in a good way!) that you didn't even get his name right - what a forgettable guest star.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    (And what was the reason for Bart manually driving the car?)
    I meant to bring that up too. He switches the autodrive to manual, and made quite a big deal about it, so I figured he was going to pull some sort of prank. But no, he just...drives to the power plant (or wherever it was; I don't even remember anymore). The only solution I can think of is that a joke was originally there that had to do with him manually driving, but it was cut.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    How would a lame caricature that is obviously parodying Elon Musk be an improvement over just showing Musk himself? Think Mapple - everyone knows it's obviously Apple, but they have to keep beating around the bush with that extra letter.

Also, I'm amused (in a good way!) that you didn't even get his name right - what a forgettable guest star.
    I know...maybe since the show is becoming even more cornball with having semi-famous people falling from the sky, maybe next time we could have some Hobo 42 in the backyard that Homer befriends for no reason.

Seriously, this episode made fan fiction look good.

Thread Information