9 9.89%
  • 1/5 judd "al jean" apatow

7 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: Bart's New Friend (TABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: Bart's New Friend (TABF05)

Judd Apatow's "Simpsons" spec script from 20 years ago has been produced!
    Homer is hypnotized at a circus into believing he is ten years old. Bart has fun with him at first, making him his new best friend and accomplice. However, it becomes a pain when the hypnotist dies and the family is unable to turn Homer into his old self again.
    Rate and Review after watching.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

closing til airing

plz refraining from whining and making meta posts thx
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Kinda cringeworthy blackboard gag. "Snowmen do not have carrot penises." Ugh.

Wait, Smithers said he wanted the report by 5, but then we see him working on it at home and through the night. I assumed that Smithers meant 5 on that particular day?

This first act was pretty funny. I don't have much to complain about, but not much to praise, either.

ACT TWO:

I loved the scene with Homer spitting out beer was great. With what modern simpsons has pulled recently, I was honestly expecting him to be drinking pee.

The Irish coffee gag was good, too.

Umm... okay, I actually felt some genuine emotion when Homer inadvertently admitted how awful his adult life was.

ACT THREE:

LOL @ at the drawing of Skinner shooting Chalmers.

I also liked the Lisa's Sax callback.

Wait, didn't the episode description say the hypnotist was going to die?

The ending conversation with Bart was kind of touching.

OVERALL:

Yeah, it was pretty much what I expected - slightly better than a typical modern episode. However, I found this to be the best of the season so far! 4/5 (B+)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

Not entirely sure there was even a joke in this ep.

1.5/5 great to put on in the background for naps

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kinda sweet episode that didn't have too much baloney. IMO, this felt like a Season 7, O&W homage written by the modern staff.

Anyway, probably the best we'll have this season, so I'll give it a 5/5 for HD-era standards.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't know if this episode blew chunks because I expected a little more out of it or because it actually blew chunks. Not impressed. If this is the best we have this season, it's truly going to be abysmal. 1/5.

Blog Entries

Easily the best episode of the year, it's not that great compared to the classic era, but is incredible for the HD era. 4/5
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Thumbs Up

This episode was so good! If only all modern episode could be like that. The story was great, the Jokes were funny, the ending was good and heartwarming. I also liked the fact that there was no pretentious Mapple jokes. I gave it a 4/5
    Last edited by Space camp; 01-11-2015 at 05:39 PM.

I feel like it's a sad day when a current episode pales in comparison to an episode from season 12. Granted "HOMR" was an anomaly of quality back then but it's at least thrice as good as tonight's episode, IMO.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

atrocious. hated how homer was a dick the whole episode. only gag i liked was chalmers doodling skinner getting shot. 1/5

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was okay. There was some nice emotion at the end with Bart not wanting Homer to be de-hypnotized, but there wasn't much else, and it wasn't as funny as it could've been. Nothing was terrible in it, though. The "Homo" spraying gag was recycled, and not done nearly as well. I gave it a 4/5, but a 3/5 is probably more accurate.

Also, can Chalmers just die already? I am so sick of him.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bart's New Friend
    ++ Chalkboard gag "Snowman don't have carrot penises"
    + Good couch gag.
    -- Don thing dumb continuity change.
    + Lenny in bathroom.
    -- Awful thus far.
    +++ Curcis flashback.
    + Curcuis wi-fi.
    ++ Homer punching Clown
    + Porta Potties.
    + Cletus
    -- Yes you are gag so stupid.
    +++ Chief Wiggum taking off pants
    End of act 1. Great!
    ++ Homer choking.
    + Homer popping eyes.
    ++ Homer's thumb falling off
    - Poor Marge acting.
    ++ Bumble And Grumble
    + Bart prank
    End of act 2, still strong, but getting weaker. 7.5/10
    + Floating corpse under water.
    + People falling off bridge
    + Maggie scene
    End of act 3, awful act. 2/10.
    -- What the hell was that?
    Overall, the 1st act was great, the 2nd act was good, the ending was horrendous. 6/10, worst of the year.
    Now lets hope that The Musk Who Fell To Earth is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Les Wynan View Post
    Easily the best episode of the year, it's not that great compared to the classic era, but is incredible for the HD era. 4/5
    Agreed. It was a fun episode, but I think the plot's been done on other shows. I remember Recess did an episode like this with the principal. Nothing too cringworthy, the only joke I didn't like was the Loki joke at the end. 4/5

Blog Entries

That Charlie Hebdo tribute at the end is going to become incredibly dated incredibly quickly.

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

Like...tomorrow.

Blog Entries

A good effort. Sort of a hacky premise, but it worked in a way that "double, double, boy in trouble" didn't. Bart getting a new perspective on Homer was kinda touching. Had the usual lame jokes that brought it down - homer ranting about stack parking, skinner's doodles, milhouse, more that I've already forgotten - but the "soaring over california" parody was well-done (edit: Just remembered the vibrator fake-out gag, that was a good one too). Seemed awfully short - everything got resolved by 8:23 - so I think maybe they could have had more homer/bart scenes. I haven't seen either of the thor movies (I assume that's what's being parodied?) so that last scene was like random monkey cheese bullshit to me

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    That Charlie Hebdo tribute at the end is going to become incredibly dated incredibly quickly.
    This is an incredibly insensitive thing to say

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Well, ummm... this may have been a good episode at one point.
    Shame we'll never know. It certainly didn't remain one once the writer's room got a hold of it.
    Seems like it may well be a candidate for most polarizing episode of the season.

Things I liked... things I liked... ummm, I thought Bart was characterized well.
    And I enjoyed the running gag of Svengali effortlessly hypnotizing Wiggum.

Perhaps this would have gone down smoother had I not watched I D'oh-bot earlier today.
    SEASON 28 RANKINGS
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 1.5/5 / Friends and Family - 3.5/5 / The Town - 3/5
    THOH XXVII = Dry Hard - 1.5/5 / BFF R.I.P. - 2/5 / Moefinger - 1/5
    Trust But Clarify - 3.5/5 / There Will Be Buds - 5/5 / Havana Wild Weekend - 2/5
    Dad Behavior - 0/5 / The Last Traction Hero - 2.5/5
    The Nightmare After Krustmas - 0.5/5 / Pork and Burns - 2/5
    The Great Phatsby - 4.5/5 / Fatzcarraldo - 2.5/5 / The Cad and the Hat - 1.5/5
    Kamp Krustier - 2/5 / 22 for 30 - 4/5 / A Father's Watch - 2.5/5 / Caper Chase - 1.5/5
    Looking for Mr. Goodbart - 2/5 / Moho House - 2/5 / Dogtown - 1.5/5

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dr. Cactus

Banned

Have to say this was pretty enjoyable for the most part.

The emotion between Homer and Bart was well characterised in the main, although I think a couple of scenes could have been stronger for lack of a better word. Got a couple of laughs on the humour front, especially Dr Hibbert giving the childlike Homer beer.

Svengali was a good character, although giving him the power to do anything - even as basic as Homer cuddling Marge after sex - sort of renders his characterisation to be unrealistic, but fuck it he was interesting. As for the Charlie Hebdo tribute, nice touch and I second Dark Homer's comments. Will become dated quickly? Fuck you.

4/5, 7/10, B-

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Like "Hardly Kirking", this week's episode was a goofy premise that was just plain fun to watch. While "Bart's New Friend" wasn't as strong as "Kirking", it was still a fun episode. I really liked the reveal of the other 7-G safety inspector - I was waiting for Homer's narcolepsy to be revealed but then realized after the episode ended that that was the season 27 premiere premise. D'oh!

I liked the Wiggum gags, and the hypnotist was a fun new character. Would not mind him joining the cast of background characters alongside the Sea Captain and Bumblebee Man. Nice moments between Homer and Bart, I wonder if this means no more strangling? Unlikely. 4/5 from me

Also, anybody else notice the super soaker man boobs scene was cut?
    UP AND ATOM!

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

This is much, much better. These slice-of-life episodes are what I can really support. The characters behaved pretty realistically, the animation direction was smooth and the voice acting was pretty on-point. The interplay between Bart and Homer, appropriately enough, was what shined, and the bits with the secondary characters never grew too tiresome. It treads some familiar ground with The Blunder Years, but Bart's New Friend does a lot of fun things with its premise. One thing that surprised me was that Marge missed her closeness [and intimacy] with Homer, something that isn't brought up much these days.

As for the script's draft being from the 1990's, I don't think I would have guessed that had it not been hammered in by the media. This was clearly touched up, over and over again, since the 90's (and I'm surprised there weren't two writers credited, as I doubt Judd Apatow re-touched it himself), but it worked.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Homer View Post
    This is an incredibly insensitive thing to say
    How? I'm just stating facts here. Of course it was a terrible thing that happened, but like it or not, this is all going to be forgotten about within a couple weeks.

Blog Entries

i doubt a murder of 13 people will be forgotten any time soon. i mean this is a pretty major event for cartoons/animation. but let's not derail this R&R with that

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

1) I loved the shot of Cletus shooting at the the plane and Willie's way of quitting from the 'Soaring Over Springfield'

2) What was up with that ending? Did we need to see that Sven Golly hypnotized Wiggum and switched places with him?

It bugged me how the episode was basically finished at 8:23. They easily could have built upon everything, including Marge's relationship with Homer suffering, or Homer at least attempting to go to work or interact with adults like in his normal life, setting up the whole plot better (maybe contrasting the Homer and Bart relationship before and after his transition more). The Lisa/Homer sax scene felt really shoehorned in there too. So, since Homer is 10, he likes Lisa's sax? I don't recall Bart or any other kid on the show giving a damn about her sax, so this didn't really make any sense to me. The story itself also was pretty forced when you think about it. Since season 10, Homer has practically become a dumb 10-year-old anyway, even as an adult. Lots of the stuff he does as a 10-year-old here could easily just be normal stuff Homer would do in any episode the past 15 years. This is clearly why they had to transform him into a hard-working stressed out adult in the first 5 minutes so that the story could work and his transformation be significant in any way. And then they dressed him up as Bart just to visually hammer the idea home, since his behavior wasn't actually that abnormal when you think about it.

Compared to "HOMR", I also hated how this episode really just had Homer as a tool being used and screwed with. In "HOMR", Homer had to ultimately choose between being smart being himself and being closer to Lisa. There were stakes. Here, Homer arbitrarily transformed into a 10-year-old, and Marge made the sole choice to get him back to normal because she missed him. But the story was really more about Bart, so the Marge angle felt weak to be the only controlling factor in the story's resolution. It would have been nice if Bart and Marge had debated reverting him back at least, since it would benefit Marge but make him less close to Bart.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

2/5 - they didn't really go anywhere with the "10-year-old Homer" bit, which was pretty much the point of the episode.

Strange that Fox would allow that blackboard gag, but edited the word "penis" out of its broadcast of the movie.

All of the gold watches Mr. Burns has received are still ticking.

Carl sings "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" in a different key than the others.

Buddy Ebsen died at Springfield General Hospital.

Lisa called Homer "Homer" to his face.

At one point, the hypnotist sounds like Snake.

At the Itchy & Scratchy Penny Arcade, all games are 75 cents. Then again, even the Disneyland "penny arcade" charged a dime for most things in the early 1970s.

Homer tells Bart to "stay 10 forever" - so far, it's been 26 years and counting.

Written by Judd Apatow
    Directed by Bob Anderson
    Billboard: You tried the rest -- now settle for Luigi's Pizza
    Blackboard: SNOWMEN DON'T HAVE CARROT PENISES
    Couch: Homer, Marge, and Bart are the Three Bears, with Lisa as Goldilocks
    Special Guest Voice: Stacy Keach
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom

Damn you, Simpsons artists - now I have to do a screen capture of the "Je Suis Charlie" image for my desktop background.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Didn't 10-year old Homer wonder who he was or why he was staying with some family? Or why he looked nothing like a 10-year old? It's strange that they brought attention to that because it just makes the fact that they never offer an explanation for it all the more conspicuous. One of the things I hate the most is when adults act like children, although the fact that Homer was hypnotized made that more bearable. It still would have been nice if I wasn't distracted the whole time by the fact that none of that made any sense. And how did Marge, Chief Wiggum, et al. know to find Homer and Bart at the amusement park? I would have expected Bart to be a little hurt by Homer's inadvertent admission that he didn't enjoy being their father, but their bonding as friends wasn't horrible (and the scene with Lisa playing her saxophone was nice). Anyway, despite all the immense flaws with the writing, I have to give this episode some credit for not feeling much like an HD episode. It flowed pretty well and felt like it had some effort put into it, at least direction-wise, in contrast to the typical directionless HD episode that lazily moves along without any sense of purpose. Overall, a very mixed episode. Much more enjoyable to watch than the typical HD episode with respect to the direction, but the writing left a lot to be desired and greatly inhibited the enjoyment. So it comes out as average. 2.5/10

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1: Bleh chalkboard gag. Couch gag animation was nice, though Homer being eaten didn't make much sense. Mostly good jokes so far (Cletus being smart, Wiggum being hypnotized, Spilkesh). Also always like seeing Homer actually trying to do his job, though his complaint about the parking lot got annoying. So far, pretty fine, like the last 2 episodes, honestly feels like an early Jean episode, in a good way.

Act 2: Hah, loved the beer joke. Hypnotism just accepted in the medical field, eh why not. As for 10 year old Homer, he's...not really that much different from HD honestly. The "no I'm not" scene felt like something he'd actually do, he has called Marge Mrs. Simpson before, the only difference is that he likes Bart and occasionally does a booger joke. Anyway, decent act, though not as good as the 1st act (laughed at Homer punching Bart though, and him talking about adult life almost felt real).

Act 3: Liked some of the scenes of Homer almost crushing Bart. Homer listening to Lisa playing is always nice, though I was sort of thinking they'd have Homer play a prank on Lisa like Bart would do rather than just enjoy it like his normal has done several times before. Heh, still love seeing Wiggum getting hypnotized. 4D ride had some nice visuals. Homer's final lines to Bart were pretty good, actually could feel some emotion in there when he says goodbye. Wish they showed more reason to change him back than just Marge missing him (couldn't put a mention that Homer isn't working, or maybe Marge having to work in his place to pay the bills or something?).

Overall, I thought this was a pretty solid episode. While I'm not sure how much of Judd Apatow's script actually survived the Simpsons writer room of horror, there was at least a definite paced plot and pretty solid characterizations of Bart and Homer you'd rarely see on the show anymore. Most of the jokes also hit, and the hypnotist was a pretty cool character on his own. Not a fantastic episode or something that resembles Apatow's films, but eh, it was a good effort, and that's all I can really ask for these days.

Overall: 8.3/10, or 4/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Release the hounds... Sinister Burns's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    How? I'm just stating facts here. Of course it was a terrible thing that happened, but like it or not, this is all going to be forgotten about within a couple weeks.
    You do realize that it probably won't even appear on reruns or DVDs, right? How is it different to inserting an RIP tribute to Doris Grau or Phil Hartman?

Blog Entries

Well if that's the case, I'm completely fine with it.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Additional observations on tonight's episode from my 'On This Day in Simpsons History' thread...

If this was another series where Homer didn't act like a brain-damaged 10-year-old most of the time anyhow, perhaps this would have been a noteworthy storyline. Given Homer's established characterization when Apatow originally penned this script, I think it really could have been something uniquely memorable and classic-worthy... had it been done in the early 1990s.

Unfortunately it's now the year 2015 and apart from Homer hanging out with Bart more and not strangling him there wasn't much to this "I think I'm 10" storyline apart from Marge not getting sex at night - which seemed to be the only part of Homer acting his proper age that she missed.

Incidentally, I think the writers should have taken on Apatow's script and adapted it as straight as possible and made a novelty out of creating "an old episode in 2015" and marketed that as the gimmick. Release it in standard definition. Use the classic Season 2-style opening. Try to emulate everyone's character delivery from 20 years ago. Don't include people like Chalmers or Cletus or any CGI animation. Hell, bring back the old cel-based approach for one episode (if financially feasible) instead of going the digital route just for one week. And, obviously, no modern references to things like laptops and Angelina Jolie-directed movies.

Now THAT would have been a spectacle. Whereas this was just underwhelming.

MY SCORE = 2/5
    Incidentally, I felt the Charlie Hebdo tribute at the end was extremely classy. Good on the show for throwing that together.

Thread Information