33 30.84%
  • 3/5 eh it was ok

23 21.50%
  • 2/5 *gets abducted by aliens*

15 14.02%
  • 1/5 let's blast the ep away to their home planet

17 15.89%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "The Man Who Came To Be Dinner" (RABF15)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: "The Man Who Came To Be Dinner" (RABF15)

The long-awaited THE MAN WHO CAME TO BE DINNER, written by Al Jean & David Mirkin and directed by David Silverman, airs tonight. (January 4, 2014)
    The Simpsons go to Rigel 7, the home planet of Kang and Kodos.
    Was it worth the wait? R&R after you've watched the episode.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

POLL.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

you made that reply like literally one minute after the thread was posted. give him time ffs. why do you people always call foul immediately... you can make a poll after a thread is already made
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Blog Entries

what handsome said

I already infracted ofhf for making a new thread but next time if you start screaming at ppl for not making polls within five min of thread creation, you're also getting dem points OSS

closing til airing
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Let's see if I can't crack this thread open!
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

blah. nothing special. the first act was funny, really enjoyed the riding on a bug scenes. thought the parking lot gag was stellar. but the rest of it was just a snooze. focused too much on the simpson family and not on the interesting aspects of the planet.

really hated lisa in this. she basically just explained stuff/asked questions which got on my nerves. nitpick but worth mentioning.

2.5/5. i'll be nice and give it a 3.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

The first act was stellar and an accurate view of Disney Land. The rest of this was the same garbage and forced alien nonsense from the past five years plus.

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

That was just a big block of meh.

Act 1 had some decent jokes, but nothing great, just seemed like deleted scenes from 'Itchy and Scratchy Land'.
    Act 2 had a nice callback, that was about it.
    Act 3 was...actually I don't even remember anything from Act 3, I think they had a Hunger Games parody or something here, maybe...It was just so forgettable overall.
    Act 4 was just overall bad, too many forced references that just fell flat, threw off the plot completely, and I'm still not sure if it was canon.

1.5/5, rounded up to 2/5 because why not?

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Wow, when was "are we there yet?" last used?

Okay, I laughed at Homer being beaten up by the mascots for carrying an acorn.

What the fuck was that Cool Zone gag? That was just way too weird. But I feel I might be eating my words by the end of this episode.

ACT TWO:

Oh, they just love to mooch off the classic era, don't they? Recreating that chips scene from Deep Space Homer.

I liked Homer trying to start the ship, with the ship making car sounds.

Ugh, that birth scene.

ACT THREE:

I liked Maggie's drawing of homer getting roasted.

I hardly have anything to say about this episode.

ACT FOUR:

This whole act feels really rushed. Though I do like the reveal that they're inedible.

I liked Homer's Captain Kirk impression at the end.

OVERALL:

Ehh... it wasn't so bad, but it was very forgettable. 3/5 (C-)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

the first act, despite being all set-up, was easily the best part. had a bunch of fresh gags. the entire thing, like any other half-decent new simpsons, felt too short. the plot was just going through the motions and they didn't know how to handle it, probably because of the time constraints. kang and kodos had like three scenes and the rest was other aliens that we don't care about. and there was an alien lisa for some reason. confused the fuck out of me. and they ended in a star trek joke because space. it was ok. some funny jokes, good direction. pretty consistent for the most part, fourth act teetered it a bit though. i'll give it a 3/5. about as good as an early jean ep

As a whole the episode reminded me of Itchy & Scratchy Land. Lots of gags simply showing off the goings ons in a theme park (which was roughly 3/4ths of I&S Land). Given Kang and Kodos have been around since season 2, it was fun exploring their planet. While wacky over the top future gags are quite played out thanks to Futurama and the many Simpsons flash forward episodes, several of the gags worked for me. I guess because they were doing a bit of Rigel VII world building.

The storyline itself was simple, but there were a lot of sweet moments like Homer's desire shifting to his family. The whole episode felt like a mini-movie which was a lot of fun, and they focused on a lot of series mainstays and moments with new twists (pacifier gags, potato chips, Homer's interests in beer and donuts, a zoo version of the living room). I also appreciated the canon gag, something that I think Simpsorama was sorely lacking. End credits had some really funny Trek references.

Overall, I just had fun with the episode. They packed in a lot, and I liked exploring both Dizneeland and Rigel VII. 5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    What the fuck was that Cool Zone gag? That was just way too weird.
    That bothered me aswell. At its core, its a mildly funny idea: the company is willing to destroy people to steal and re-sell their possessions. But the way they timed and executed it, with everyone melting in the acid instantly, is unrealistic and unfunny. If they slowed it down just a little bit, and included some funnier shots of people getting hurt, it probably would have worked better.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Irvine

Blog Entries

A double post? Now how did I manage that?

In other news, I appreciate that Al, Dave and Dave came back to make the episode, even if it wasn't very good. Here's to the old guard!
    Last edited by zartok-35; 01-04-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I'd probably agree with most people that the first act was the best, although the episode had some decent moments scattered throughout. I loved the Deep Space Homer callback. Yeah, it's fanservice, but it shows they're at least aware of the hardcore fans like us. A part I didn't like very much was when they were told to vote for which one of their family members they would sacrifice. Instead of trying to get out of it or fool the aliens in some way, Marge just immediately gives people a piece of paper and tells them to write somebody down. You're going to let one of your family members die that easily? That really rubbed me the wrong way. Nothing else really stood out, other than it being a very unusual episode as a whole. It's too bad, because this could've been really good. 3/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    A double post? Now how did I manage that?
    You haven't posted in that long? The board's had that problem for about four months now.

Sorry for the double post.

Blog Entries

IRL it would be maggie. she's a baby. fuck maggie. she hasn't even lived very long she won't even remember she was alive

AV Club gives it a D+ http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/simpson...campaign=feeds

I guess I'm just on a totally different wavelength from the reviewer. Maybe Simpsorama made me realize that it was probably not going to be written off as a dream, but between then and now I've been watching a lot of off-the-wall canon-suspect episodes like The Springfield Files, Brick Like Me, and 24 Minutes. Like those episodes, I enjoyed the gags and put up with the off the wall stuff, because in the end it really didn't detract from the episode. It wasn't a bait and switch like Saddlesore Galatica, and the bit where Kang (or was it Kodos?) says their memories will fade as if it never happened was good enough for me. References to Rigel VII has appeared in past canon episodes, so I can handle the family peeking behind the curtain as long as once they return to Earth they forget all about it. Simpsorama, by comparison and speaking from a canon perspective only, made no effort to explain away the fact that the family visited the year 3000. The only real bit I can think of is that it was referred to as a Mash-Up in the end credits.

In any case, I guess I did a good job in tricking my brain into accepting it as a could be canon episode. I enjoyed the ride. Good animation, good gags, fun family moments. I don't know, it just worked for me.

Blog Entries

I plan on writing a review once I watch it a second time, but for right now I just want to comment that the couch gag was really great, easily the best non-guest one in a while.
    Brrapt Brrapt Pew Pew!

Quote Originally Posted by D'ohADeerAFemaleDeer View Post
    I plan on writing a review once I watch it a second time, but for right now I just want to comment that the couch gag was really great, easily the best non-guest one in a while.
    In 2025 when the blu-ray (or video crystal) release of season 26 hits stores, they better package in postcards of those artworks.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by HerbertMcHoover View Post
    The first act was stellar and an accurate view of Disney Land. The rest of this was the same garbage and forced alien nonsense from the past five years plus.
    I agree. This episode should've stayed shelved. 2/5 D+

Blog Entries

zing~

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Earlier today, I happened to watch Moaning Lisa. It was the first star outing for Lisa and, while things go a bit too far with her characterization as what the norm eventually becomes, it's a soulful episode with a great interplay between Lisa and Marge being my personal highlight. The animation is also quite good, particularly in the fun boxing game segments between Homer and Bart. I bring this up because The Man Who Came to Be Dinner is about the furthest, both thematically and plot-wise, that The Simpsons could possibly get.

Beyond when the show goes to its extremes (the city going down in flames in Marge in Chains, painting things purple in Bart vs. the Space Mutants, playing as a Bart-like dinosaur in Virtual Bart, skateboarding with Bea Simmons' ghost in Simpsons Comics, Kang and Kodos threatening to destroy mankind in Gump Roast), I suppose The Man Who Came to be Dinner isn't breaking much new ground anyway. Hell, if you somehow accept everything as canon, Kang and Kodos have conspired with Sideshow Bob in The Simpsons Game. But perhaps this is all a bit off-topic. The Simpsons have had many run-ins with Kang and Kodos, but this episode takes the characters out of Springfield, off of Earth, and for not much payoff.

There's a fun segment that serves as a treat for fans of the classic era: Homer and the potato chips. It's sandwiched between a Disneyland parody where nearly all the jokes have been done before (agonizing lines, out-of-date information in film strips or at EPCOT, harmful rides, hard-to-navigate parking lots and price gouging for food and drink) and what can only be described as space jokes. Homer's characterization provides some nice one-liners, but the plot and scenarios come so far from left field that I have nothing to relate to in this 22-minute farce. Some fun nods to The Hunger Games and Star Trek aren't enough to save this thing. David Silverman's fine comic timing in the facial expressions and body movements, coupled with some detailed backgrounds, are wasted in this half-hour of unentertaining blah.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

The Cool Zone gag was the only moment that made me laugh oud loud all episode. It was also one of the only fresh Disneyland jokes. While I did enjoy the first act, Simpsons already covered the hell out of Disneyland humor between "Selma's Choice", "Itchy and Scratchy Land" and "Special Edna." But that wasn't my bigger issue with the episode. The thing that bugged me the most here was that I felt as though the whole trip to Rigel 7 had no purpose. It was pretty randomly set up, seemed to focus on the family being put into their version of a zoo, then turned into a story about the family being eaten. The thin story, and the family's overall indifference to the proceedings, made everything feel inconsequential and random. Plus, it's the same basic plot of "Hungry Are the Damned". Throw in a 40-second tribute to "Deep Space Homer" (and in a way "Two Dozen and One Greyhounds") and ultimately the most consistent thing the episode does is remind you of better classic episodes.
    It doesn't help that these days, other animated shows have tackled the same ideas better. American Dad did an episode about Roger's home planet which was significantly better than this one, with plenty of jokes and heart. Futurama did an episode about an alien species eating a main character, with way more justification and humor involved. And they also did one about humans in an alien zoo, which was a bit better as well.

I expect a lot of diehard Simpsons fans will hate the canon nature of the episode, but personally that didn't bug me. I don't take the show seriously enough anymore to care, plus they've had Kang and Kodos appear in non-THOH episodes at least three other times. All the points above bothered me much more.

HOWEVER, I will say this: generally I enjoyed the animation, and moreover I thought there were a decent amount of funny moments in the episode. More than your average S20+ episode for sure. The Dizznee jokes, as stale as some were, I enjoyed. Again, the cool zone one was something fresh and funny, as was the bug ride. The journey from the parking lot to the park was great too, and having just gone to Magic Kingdom two months ago, the 1.5 hrs it took me to go from the parking lot, to the trolley, through the ticket line, and on the monorail, to the park was all fresh in my memory. Some of the Rigel 7 creatures made me smile, like the broccoli, the bagpipe alien, and the underground rebellion. The freeze frame gags on Homer's chalkboard, and later in the bounty of stuff he creates telepathically, were both rewardingly funny (and didn't stay on screen long to shove them in your face like many other freeze frame gags the last decade). I also enjoyed a few other touches, like the busy box controls at the end, the Star Trek credits (again, something Futurama did already though).

So, was it funny? Pretty funny, by current standards. Funny enough for me to give this. 3.5/5. But given the hype about this episode, and how fresh it was intended to be, I was definitely disappointed how many past episodes it rehashed, and how many bits and jokes didn't live up to other shows' treatments of the same ideas.
    Signature.

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whoa, first act gave me the first genuine laughs from this show in years. Homer being searched by the giant squirrel mascots, the bug ride song was really great the only bad thing was I got kinda annoyed by the "are we there yet" but, it went on far too long.

Well after the first act it wasn't nearly as funny but it did have real laughs throughout and non robotic modern simpsons dialogue as well as nice cartoony animation in spots. My only other complaint is the simpsons didn't really act rationally when they first met Kang and Kodos, they just didn't seem to care. Overall I'm honestly really surprised on how funny this was and how much I genuinly enjoyed.
    I'd say it's by far the funniest episode of the Jean era, idk maybe 4/5
    Last edited by Insomnia; 01-04-2015 at 08:36 PM.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This was just another forgettable HD episode filled with awkward gags and forced dialogue regardless of what planet it took place on. The first act was especially stupid, especially when I think of the atmosphere in The Springfield Files up until Homer discovers the alien or basically the entirety of Hungry are the Damned. The prospect of alien abductions is rather chilling even though I am a skeptic, and I would have liked to see something more spooky than the uninteresting manner in which the Simpsons were abducted here. And we've seen enough amusement park commentary. More of it is not necessary, especially when it is so inferior. (EDIT: Huh, I'm apparently the only one who hated the first act and thought it was the worst part of the episode. I also agree that Lisa was really annoying in this episode.) And if they were going to do something so far out as to have The Simpsons actually abducted by aliens, they should have taken more risks. This is a relatively fresh premise, and it had the potential to result in something really creative, but instead, what we got was very stale and lifeless. There was nothing really offensive here, though, other than the fact that it managed to be so unengaging despite its potential. EDIT: As for the canonical nature of the episode, I can't bring myself to care in the least about that since the writers obviously don't. It might have bothered me when Mr. Burns captured the Loch Ness monster or the jockey elves appeared since nothing like that had ever been done before, but I'm long past caring about stuff like that. I also chuckled lightly once or twice at the most. I'm quite surprised that most people seemed to find this episode funny. 2/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 01-04-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Blog Entries

I didn't understand the Pirates of the Caribbean thing: "No means no, we know now." That didn't make any sense to me. What are they implying?

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

4/5 - almost dropped down to 3 with what seemed like a copout ending, but when they headed away from Earth and added the Star Trek closing, it went back up to 4.

One of the Dizzneeland rides was "Jim-Jam Bonk's Wild Ride", but it should be "Jim-Jam Bonks' (or, if you want to be really pedantic, "Bonks's") Wild Ride".

Cosmic Wars has a character named Jabba, just like Star Wars.

Dizzneeland also has a Pirates of the Caribbean ride - so why not just call it Disneyland?

Was Kodos ever mentioned by name?

When Maggie sucked her pacifier in space, the pacifier remained stationary while Maggie moved.

reference: 1F13 (Homer eating potato chips in zero to gravity to "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"

Gidney and Cloyd (from "Rocky & His Friends") appeared in one scene, although they're both supposed to be green.

The alien language from Futurama appears on the "kitten" signs in the zoo. What appears to be a different language - not the "second" Futurama language - appears on the "The Simpsons" sign.
    What may be another language appears on a screen showing various planets, with "Earth" and "Rigel 7" translated.

Where's Sarek the Preparer?

The closing credits are meant to be similar to the original Star Trek closing credits, but one scene has a Ferengi, which were not in the original series.

Written by Al Jean & David Mirkin
    Directed by David Silverman
    "Riding on a Bug" music by Alf Clausen, lyrics by Al Jean & David Mirkin
    Couch: Everyone is in an art gallery, looking at paintings of themselves; Homer uses a remote control to change them to TV programs.
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I didn't understand the Pirates of the Caribbean thing: "No means no, we know now." That didn't make any sense to me. What are they implying?
    Rape.

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

I'm gonna go with the crowd and say that the beginning had a lot of wonderful laughs but the second half was hit or miss. I think @Tomacco put it pretty well that the characters seemed pretty indifferent to what was going on, and that did hurt the episode overall.

...Holy shit, though, did I laugh in the first half. Man. I can't remember the last time I laughed this hard at a new Simpsons.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

After watching this episode through twice, I'm finding it to be a tough ep to grade. I'm largely underwhelmed despite having stupidly high expectations going in... and yet, in retrospect, I'm not entirely sure I expected more from the plot than what we got.

There was a lot of rehashing of the same kinds of jokes from Hungry are the Damned (if they're going to insist on recycling vegetarian gags for Lisa, they could have at least had a bit where they tried to serve her fried shrimp again) and Itchy & Scratchy Land - along with Mirkin's Deep Space Homer homage (that felt more like a do-over of the Two Dozen and One Greyhounds chip gag).

They've got this ridiculous mindset that all of the Rigellians are interchangeable - which resulted in unforgivably sparse usage of Kang & Kodos. Both the voicework and animation direction were uniformly excellent... so once again the execution flaws lie with the writer's room. This episode boasted some weird pacing issues where they literally go 2 minutes from the end of the tour of Rigel VII to decreeing they must eat one of the family - which is a shame because most of the potential this concept offered was the Simpsons interacting with an alien culture on another planet and they literally short-change all of that by fast-tracking the plot and keeping them locked up in a bubble representation of their living room. Like, why would you ever bring The Simpsons somewhere new and then stick them in their living room?

My chief criticism is this - and it applies to what I didn't care for in Simpsorama as well - it's extremely difficult for us as viewers to get invested in the wonder of a concept episode when the Simpson family as a whole behaves cynical and apathetic about their surroundings. When they were captured by aliens the first time in Season 2, when they visited Itchy & Scratchy Land in Season 5, when they visited Australia in Season 6, when they vacationed in Little Pwagmattasquarmsettport in Season 7, when they moved to Cypress Creek in Season 8 - or hell, for a recent example, when they were trapped on the Royalty Valhalla cruise ship in Season 23 - the family was enthusiastic about their new surroundings, there was a clear sense of them being someplace different and we had the chance to get invested in the family being someplace new. Contrast that with this year where they've been a thousand years in the future and whisked to an alien home world and couldn't have been more indifferent about their surroundings. Or, for that matter, indifferent about one of them potentially getting killed/eaten.

No offense to Al Jean but I don't watch this show because I want to see a bunch of cynical fucks. I have these forums for that. I want to see these characters react with a sense of wonder if they're someplace new and you're not giving that to me. Instead you're giving me disinterested Bart, Homer ranting nonsensically, Lisa in the role of plot exposition and Marge is just sort of there off to the side somewhere. You've wasted the future and Rigel VII and had the Simpson family behave like they were at home in both eras. Congratulations.
    SEASON 28 RANKINGS
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 1.5/5 / Friends and Family - 3.5/5 / The Town - 3/5
    THOH XXVII = Dry Hard - 1.5/5 / BFF R.I.P. - 2/5 / Moefinger - 1/5
    Trust But Clarify - 3.5/5 / There Will Be Buds - 5/5 / Havana Wild Weekend - 2/5
    Dad Behavior - 0/5 / The Last Traction Hero - 2.5/5
    The Nightmare After Krustmas - 0.5/5 / Pork and Burns - 2/5
    The Great Phatsby - 4.5/5 / Fatzcarraldo - 2.5/5 / The Cad and the Hat - 1.5/5
    Kamp Krustier - 2/5 / 22 for 30 - 4/5 / A Father's Watch - 2.5/5 / Caper Chase - 1.5/5
    Looking for Mr. Goodbart - 2/5 / Moho House - 2/5 / Dogtown - 1.5/5

Thread Information