39 41.05%
  • 3/5 okay Christmas episode

22 23.16%
  • 2/5 its okay but its not my favorite Christmas episode

4 4.21%
  • 1/5 its horrible the worst al jean episode

4 4.21%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: I Won't Be Home for Christmas (TABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rate & Review: I Won't Be Home for Christmas (TABF03)

Original air date December 7, 2014, Marge kicks Homer out of the house after Moe convinces him to stay out all night on Christmas Eve at his bar, this episode is written by Al Jean and directed by Mark Kirkland. Rate and Review after it airs.

Blog Entries

hey guys instead of flooding the subforum with new, shinier R&Rs in some weird R&R battle, maybe contact a mod first?

next time this happens I'm dishing out points
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

The blackboard gag was pretty funny, I'll admit.

I liked the gag with Hans Moleman.

Oh, Al Jean wrote this one. When did he do that last, season 13?

I didn't care for Moe putting the corkscrew in his brain to make his smile go back down.

Ugh, more Jerkass Marge with her throwing Homer out of the house without letting him explain what happened.

ACT TWO:

Ugh... Willie telling us he wipes his ass with Starbucks napkins.

LOL @ Bart's card to Lisa "this counts as a present."

Maggie eating Marge's popcorn decoration was adorable.

At least Marge felt bad for kicking Himer our of the house, but it didn't really fix anything.

Ugh... didn't care for Moe kissing Marge. And they HAD to do it again.

I laughed at Kirk trying to borrow $10,000 of Homer.

ACT THREE:

Is it just me or did Abe's legs look skinny and off model in his gown?

Wow, when was the last time they did a neon sign montage? And I liked the gag when it turned out to be a neon sign store.

Lol @ the Christmas card at the end.

OVERALL:

Despite Marge's characterization, this was pretty good. 4/5 (B-)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here we go with the episode!
    -- Maggie giving present to Gerald out of character
    + Otto smoking candy cane
    - Frozen
    + Short couch gag
    + Cosmic wars
    ++ Funny hans moleman scene
    + Christmas Music Channels
    + Homers Barbershop callback
    + Moe wiping keg
    ++ rakes!
    - Rough moe acting
    - Rough marge acting
    -- Great! a homer and Marge marriage crisis turn!
    end of act 1. 8.5/10.
    + Lego Simpsons
    + Voice too poor for karaoke
    - Overly long lottery gag
    +++ Welcome to bring us toilet paper night
    + Bart's card
    + Flashback
    + Lettuce caught in web
    - dumb pun
    ++ Movies at theatre
    + Can I borrow 10, 100 dollars
    +++ THEY REFRENCED JERKASS HOMER!
    End of act 2. Amazing! on track for 10/10
    + Jasper beard gag.
    -- Racist joke
    ++ Dancing deer
    + people dressed like food.
    ++ Homer imitating keys
    end of act 3 7.5/10
    + Funny ending
    Overall, wonderful episode! 9/10!
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

Best part was the preview for the man who came to be dinner.

3/5

4/5 for actually having a plot and for actually having humor.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

I liked the genuine scene between Homer and Ned, and the episode's plot showed some promise initially, but it barely built to anything. The mall party was pretty weird too (not sure I understood what was going on there). Most of all though, very few laughs. I think the neon sign joke was probably the funniest moment, which was spoiled in the YouTube preview.

Strange that they had a preview for the next episode too. Between that, the extended couch gag, and the episode essentially ending before the last commercial break, it seemed like they didn't really know what to do with this one and needed to pad it out quite a bit. At any rate, just a mediocre fairly boring episode. Not offensively bad like White Christmas Blues, at least.

2/5
    Signature.

Blog Entries

not awful even if it wasn't a laugh riot. it gets some points for not being a tepid mess. 2.5/5

weird how they added a stinger plugging dinner. i guess they're proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

I like Assjerk Homer, he's a pretty nice guy.
    I'm trying to be a loving father, you unwanted moron.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I'm feeling extra generous tonight.
    Tonight's episode kind of ran out of steam in the 3rd act after a really nice setup.
    But I still appreciate its ambition and it was delightfully understated throughout.
    Would love it even more if it actually spelled the end of reactionary bitch Marge but I suspect she'll reneg on this present in short order.
    SEASON 28 RANKINGS
    Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus - 1.5/5 / Friends and Family - 3.5/5 / The Town - 3/5
    THOH XXVII = Dry Hard - 1.5/5 / BFF R.I.P. - 2/5 / Moefinger - 1/5
    Trust But Clarify - 3.5/5 / There Will Be Buds - 5/5 / Havana Wild Weekend - 2/5
    Dad Behavior - 0/5 / The Last Traction Hero - 2.5/5
    The Nightmare After Krustmas - 0.5/5 / Pork and Burns - 2/5
    The Great Phatsby - 4.5/5 / Fatzcarraldo - 2.5/5 / The Cad and the Hat - 1.5/5
    Kamp Krustier - 2/5 / 22 for 30 - 4/5 / A Father's Watch - 2.5/5 / Caper Chase - 1.5/5
    Looking for Mr. Goodbart - 2/5 / Moho House - 2/5 / Dogtown - 1.5/5

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dr. Cactus

I LOVED it. I was laughing throughout it and it was genuinely heartwarming.

5/5 for me.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: pax

Blog Entries

This episode was pretty good. The Frozen couch gag wasn't half bad (the "Obligatory Frozen couch gag" was hilarious!), the plot was excellent, characterisations were on point, and it even had a a couple of great heartfelt moments as well. The best parts were the scenes with Maggie; her eating popcorn and making a star shaped like her own head was too cute. To me, the funniest scenes were when Comic Book Guy is judging the Star Wars Christmas special he's watching, when Homer is scratching the lottery tickets and keeps yelling "D'oh!", the "jerkass-assjerk" line, and when Jesus says "God! I mean, you!". Overall, the episode was great and I didn't have any gripes with it, as it was funny and heartfelt throughout the entire episode. 5/5 for the poll rating, 10/10 for my signature rating.

Blog Entries

Moe trying to kiss Marge was creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

Welp, looks like I was right about why Homer stayed out drinking.

This episode had all the pieces to make a great episode - some good atmosphere, classic Simpsons cynicism, some genuine emotions, and some very nice laughs. But somehow it just never seemed to come together in a way to make it great. I don't know how to put it into words. But still, it came together to make something good, and it's my personal favorite of season twenty-six so far. I'd give it a 3.5/5, but I'm not sure whether to round up or down for the poll (just a 3 seems too low, but a 4 seems too high...).

Notes:
    *There were a lot of gags that hit in the beginning - Comic Book Guy showing the Star Wars Christmas special to Kumiko and Moleman's card from Dr. Hibbert both had me cracking up.
    *...While Kumiko is still bland (her only line here was to tell CBG that his feelings were right), it was actually kind of sweet to see Comic Book Guy bonding with her over a legendarily terrible piece of nerd history.
    *I was a bit nervous about how Moe would be portrayed, and unfortunately I was right. It seems to be really hard for the writing team to portray Moe's depression without completely throwing subtlety out the window. It's like basically having a flashing neon sign saying "MOE IS REALLY REALLY DEPRESSED." Sometimes less can say a whole lot more.
    *Like the little gingerbread Sideshow Bob stepping on a gingerbread rake. I'd question why Marge is making a cookie of the man who's tried to kill her son, but it's fun, so I don't care.
    *I'm surprised Homer didn't try to explain what happened when he came home.
    *Maggie eating the popcorn off Marge's strand was a cute moment and I liked the animation on Marge's hands.
    *Two really good pieces of atmosphere: Homer walking alone through the mall and the empty, windswept parking lot of the retirement castle.
    *The whole scene between Homer and Ned was really wonderful and heartfelt. I'm also glad they made an in-series reference to Edna's passing, but without making it crass.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Nothing special but it was funny and enjoyable. Judging by Ned's dialogue, it looks like Mrs. Krabappel is dead for real. B-

Solid 4/5

lots of funny moments particularly "the ghost of marge future!", "239? whose he fooling" and homer saying "and dont say jesus!" to Flanders

only thing I had a problem with was moe kissing marge, mainly because it seems out of character for her not to beat the shit out of him for doing that

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Solid 4/5

lots of funny moments particularly "the ghost of marge future!", "239? whose he fooling" and homer saying "and dont say jesus!" to Flanders

only thing I had a problem with was moe kissing marge, mainly because it seems out of character for her not to beat the shit out of him for doing that
    She didn't beat the shit out of Lady Gaga when she kissed her. Besides, Moe is like family.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Kangdos

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

What works best for I Won't Be Home for Christmas is that the characters are all quite well-written. My favorite moment would have to be the exchange between Homer and Ned.

The episode deals with some well-worn tropes, but they're handled in an enjoyable way. It's a solidly-written episode, if not an especially daring one.
    Always happy to meet new fans of The Simpsons. I'm especially interested in the dubs of the show, the German dub in particular.
    Incidentally, there's someone on Boards and Rec also named Lance Uppcercut. That's not me.... that is to say, that is not the same person.
    Wii U / 3DS ID: KleinerUndGemein
    PS3 ID: KleinerUndGemein
    Steam ID: SneakTheSnake
    GameFAQs profile: SneakTheSnake

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    She didn't beat the shit out of Lady Gaga when she kissed her. Besides, Moe is like family.
    Well, like family or not, you'd think she'd at least yell at him to knock it off when he did it the second time. He is acting like a creeper and getting in her personal space (which is nothing new for him, but she seems pretty freaked out by it, at least when he does it again).

Ned only sold 1 pair of left handed scissors. Maggie is seen using her left hand when cutting the star. Coincidence?

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was decent on the emotion side, but pretty lacking in humor. I was glad this episode wasn't a full-blown marriage crisis like I feared; when Moe admitted to Marge what the deal was, I gave a big sigh of relief. There were a couple funny parts; my favorite was probably the little gingerbread house rake joke. That was cute. I also liked Homer being nice to Ned and not being a total jerkass (thanks for the fanservice with that term, by the way). Also, the promo for The Man Who Came to Be Dinner was awesome. Stoked for that episode now. I'll give this one a 3/5.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

The emotion wasn't very well done but at least there was something that resembled emotion in a few places, more so than in most other HD episodes anyway. Most of the characterizations were actually pretty good; Marge had a good reason to be like that. The conflict between Homer and Marge was resolved pretty conveniently by Moe; I guess Moe must have felt bad about keeping Homer away from his family on Christmas eve. Overall, there wasn't much to this, but that actually worked for it because the story felt developed most of the time. The ending with the party, and Homer and Marge's reunion, were underwhelming, though. I even thought there were a few funny moments; one of the funnier recent episodes for sure. And while I hated the live-action thing on Moe's TV, and Moe corkscrewing his head and Homer imitating the car keys, and probably a few other things, were pretty bad as well, there wasn't a whole lot here that I hated compared to the average HD episode. 5/10

I liked this one a lot. Yes, when I first saw "Marge kicks Homer out of the house" in the description, all I could do was groan, but the episode was great (and Marge's line at the end made-up for her cliched "marriage crisis" actions). I laughed consistently throughout, (kinda surprised some people are complaining about lack of humor. This one was pretty funny compared to the rest of the reason) and I think maybe the fact that it was written by Al Jean had something to do with it.

+Christmas-themed opening sequence is cute. I wish they did things like that more often.
    +Comic Book Guy's appearance was awesome--his like of that horrible special is exactly the way some geeks I know act.
    +WAS HOMER USING A NON-APPLE SMARTPHONE?!!!!
    -Meh--Moe gets more and more pathetic as the seasons go on. Yes I know, "depth to his character", but I wish they didn't have to make him so insanely desparate. (Didn't mind the corkscrew bit at all, though. Weird, but nothing worse).
    -I hate Marge's angry/crying voice now. Blech.
    +Mean karaoke machine made me laugh
    +Burly Paper Towels visible on Kwik-e-Mart shelves!
    +Bring Us Your Toilet Paper Day. Like seeing jokes about the crappy school--those always made me laugh in the older seasons. And no, the Willie thing didn't bother me.
    +Bart's card "This Counts as a Present". Sounds like something I'd try to pull off.
    =Moe Kissing marge didn't bug me at all. You guys overreact to everything.
    =I guess the reason this "montage" didn't bother me is because it was in real-time. Those seem to be better than the ones that are used to advance the story cheaply.
    +The group of losers at the theater was hilarious
    +Assjerk Homer--first mention of "Jerkass Homer" since Season 16.
    +The neon-sign store reference made me laugh
    +"I'm not always going to assume that you screwed up." Loved hearing that from Marge. Let's see if she can stick to it.

4/5. Definitely one of the best of the season.

I think one of the reasons I didn't really like this episode is because I just finished re watching season 17 on DVD, and I'm totally burnt out on lackluster Marge/Homer relationship episodes. "Bonfire of the Manatees", "Milhouse of Sand and Fog", "Regarding Margie", "Homer and Marge Turn a Couple Play"... For whatever reason, almost none of the emotion rings true anymore.

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This had nice moments that should have been better but this is the hd era so you can't expect much., also there wasn't much humor here. I was more interested in the strange preview of The man who came to dinner, I'm guessing they knew die hard fans have been waiting for a long time. Overall this was decent I guess.
    3/5

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

My expectations were higher than I thought. Even though it did started off a typical Marge being a bitch to Homer episode, it got better after that. The humor was lacking at times and Moe wasn't written very well. All in all a great Christmas episode. (NOTE: This is the first episode written by Al Jean himself that I had seen, I seen almost all of his episodes with Mike Reiss minus his last one with Reiss) 8.5/10
    American Dad: Father's Daze (4/10) , Fight and Flight (5.5/10), The Enlightment of Ragi-Baba (6.5/10), Portrait of Francine's Genitals (4/10), Bahama Mama (5.5/10), Roger's Baby (2/10), Ninety North, Zero West (8.5/10), Whole Slotta Love (5/10), The Witches of Langley (8/10), A Nice Night for a Drive (6.5/10), Casino Normale (6/10), Bazooke Steve (4.5/10), Camp Campawanda (6/10), Julia Rogerts (5/10), The Life and Times of Stan Smith (5.5/10), The Bitchin Race (4/10), Family Plan (5/10), The Long Bomb (8./10), Kloger (3/10), Garbage Stan, The Talented Mr. Dingleberry, West to Mexico

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - Meh-ry Christmas

In the opening, Lenny, Carl, Patty, Selma, the ghost of Rabbi Krustofski, Comic Book Guy, and Mr. Burns had non-pointed ears.

Comic Book Guy was celebrating Festivus.

So that's what happened to Spider-Pig - er, Harry Plopper.

Homer was driving while talking on his cellphone.

Lego Simpsons 90% Off? Nope - still $200.

If Homer left his wallet at Moe's, then where did he get the money to pay for the lottery tickets?

Homer's Drivers License says "Hair: No"; it also doesn't list his birthday or age.

I thought my mother was the only person who strung popcorn without alternating it with cranberries.

Maggie draws the outline for the star, and then cuts it, with her left hand.

Jesus only has four fingers on each hand. God still has five.

Written by Al Jean
    Directed by Mark Kirkland
    Blackboard: REINDEER MEAT DOES NOT TASTE LIKE CHICKEN
    Couch: Lisa, as Elsa in Frozen, reacts to Bart throwing a snowball at her by creating a giant ice castle; Homer, as Olaf, bites his carrot nose, but complains that it's a carrot
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akon
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

32. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Blog Entries

I've always said that what makes a Christmas episode great is the characters and their relationships, not the Christmas window dressing around it. With its simple plot, tonight's episode was able to provide both a down-to-earth Homer/Marge story and plenty of Christmas atmosphere. However, such a simple plot did have the downside of making the episode feel a bit slow in terms of pacing, but I'd take this over a lazy, half-assed subplot any day. Instead of just adding a Christmas tag to an otherwise unrelated story (example: main plot of White Christmas Blues, which could have easily been non-Christmas: see Coming to Homerica), tonight's episode was able to incorporate Christmas to enrich the story. Marge kicking out Homer was all the more devastating because it was Christmas, Homer met other people who were alone on Christmas during his walk through Springfield, and Moe was especially sad because he was lonely on Christmas, of all days. The start of the conflict, Homer drinking with Moe, had some surprisingly good emotion: I particularly enjoyed the parallels between those scenes and the rest of the episode in dealing with the theme of spending Christmas alone. In fact, it would have been nice if that angle was stretched out more and some filler scenes (e.g. Marge and the kids visit Grampa) were left out. Marge's characterization was well-done: her initial reaction to Homer coming home late was justified with her impatient waiting with Patty and Selma, who helped to convince her that Homer was in the wrong. Later, Marge's regret for her decision was evident when she was more than willing to buy into Moe's explanation of why Homer was gone without any proof. Homer taking a lonely walk through Springfield has a lot of potential for jokes, but the only jokes I really laughed at in this episode were the neon sign gag and the Jesus bit at the end. (There were some other amusing bits, like gingerbread Sideshow Bob or "239? Who's he fooling?" but still underwhelming humor.) For that reason, I'm disappointed by the humor in this episode: it was average for modern Simpsons, but frustratingly so because there was a perfect environment for jokes. (Side note: A perfect example of modern Simpsons overexplaining jokes can be seen in the fourth act during a pan from Bart and Lisa opening presents to Homer and Marge in bed. The camera pauses on corpses of Prep and Landing. Compare this to a pan from downstairs to upstairs quickly showing some strings of FBI wire in El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer.) Homer's generosity in the second act tied in fairly well with the overall theme of the episode (spending Christmas with loved ones): when he sees others that are unable to spend Christmas with their family, he does what he can to make them happy. (Side note: If Moe finds Homer's wallet in the bar, where does all of his money come from?) My only complaint about Homer making others happy is the Apu scene: Homer helping out the movie theater patrons and Flanders were excellent (especially the latter), but his encounter with Apu lacked the heart of the other two. Homer's reunion with Marge was actually pretty touching, thanks to the buildup earlier in the episode. I enjoyed the twist on a standard ending with not Homer, but Marge apologizing for jumping to conclusions. The fourth act was actually used very well: in addition to the Jesus joke I actually laughed at, there was a nice tie-in of the Bart and Lisa scene earlier (their convincing Marge to forgive Homer) where Lisa happily opens her present despite Homer and Marge being upstairs, and some nice closure to the plot with Marge and Homer happily spending Christmas in bed. Closing credits music mashing up Christmas carols and the Simpsons theme would have been a major plus...if they hadn't done that already last year with White Christmas Blues. Same for the opening credits (even if there were a couple of minor changes), although I liked last year's better. Couch gag was dumb, but at least it was short. Oh, and Kumiko actually shows up!

Crap, that went longer than I hoped for. tl;dr: This is a really good episode. Perhaps I'm not in the best mood today, but I'm only feeling a high 9/10 for this one. Might jump to a full 10 and one of the HD era's best upon rewatch. Joins The Wreck of the Relationship and Treehouse of Horror XXV as one of the best episodes of the season and continues an incredibly solid run for season 26. Al Jean & Co. are nearly halfway there in producing the best season since 16.

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Overseas Animation: Akon
    It was Rough Draft

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FACTUAL ERROR: Research has shown that Jesus' birthday was actually in March or April.

Thread Information