12 13.64%
  • 1/5 Fuck you Mel

5 5.68%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review "Covercraft"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned

Rate & Review "Covercraft"

When Homer has a midlife crisis, he forms a band of Springfield dads. Despite the band's modest early success, Apu ends up being a breakout star and stealing the show. This episode will also feature the first appearance of Sideshow Mel's family.

Guest stars: Sammy Hagar as Himself, and Will Forte as King Toot
    Last edited by Basil Fawlty; 11-23-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Avatar courtesy of Telso Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Forgot again...

Blog Entries

Sigh, okay so again: please do not make R&Rs until at least two hours before the east coast airdate. It's not a rule but I do try to discourage it and further transgressions by the same member could lead to discipline and whatever yeah yeah yeah we all know

So... yeah closed until airing
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

what a snooze! only gag i liked was homer and apu being arrested during the montage. but that's it

oh and i like how they made a whole vid about will forte's character who ended up having like three lines

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

I guess even Selman isn't dependable anymore. None of his episodes this season, including this one, have been great. There seems to be good characterizations and storytelling, but just not very funny. Nothing more than smile-worthy jokes really. And for an epsiode about a cover band, it's a bit weird that they only played one song, by a fictional band.
    Signature.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Time to review covercraft!
    + Short couch gag.
    + The back of Moes is shown!
    + King toot is revealed!
    + Moe and King toot fight.
    ++ Second ffight scene.
    + Bass vibes.
    ++ " Im amazing.
    + Milhouse gets crushed,
    ++ Led Zep Reference.
    - Marge looked off model.
    + Bass montage
    + Zerz commercial.
    ++ Rock Light Gels.
    End of act 1. WOnderful! 10/10
    + Homers world music.
    ++ Thank GOD. Apu sings wonderful.
    - Covercraft, more like CoverCRAP.
    -- Very brief Mel family.
    ++ Great song!
    + What Kindof erotic asphyxisation?
    ++ John Lennon!
    End of act 2, Still great
    + Sungazer tour.
    -Overlong Genesis refrence.
    - How does bart know who they are?
    ++ Yoko!
    + Gold parking
    ++ Homers barbershop Quartet callback.
    + The plot takes a turn...
    + heroin.
    - This will get a lame ending.
    ++ Good ending!
    - They only played ONE song?
    - That's IT?
    +Funny ending.
    Overall that was an AMAZING Episode! this can get nothing short of a 10/10!
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

look out "the world" Two Guys, a Girl, and a Christmas kat's Avatar
    Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

That was...not good.

It was neither emotional nor funny.

3/10

Blog Entries

meh 3/5

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Probably the second-worst episode of the season, better than only Clown in the Dumps. Just boring without many good jokes. I did really like the couch gag, though. I could see it in the classic era (if smartphones existed in the classic era). Really, this episode was just like a combination of Homer's Barbershop Quartet and How I Spent My Strummer Vacation, and Apu's sudden voice change reminded me of New Kids on the Blecch. I was worried for a minute that it was going to become another marriage crisis when Marge and the other women complained about their husbands; luckily, that was just to get the plot going. The problem was just the lack of humor. Pretty much nothing in the episode was laugh-worthy, and it was just underwhelming. 2/5

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

Not bad. It felt like a good Simpson episode of Season 11-13, just without any humor. There is literally no humor in this episode. Not bad for a Modern Simpsons episode still. The first half reminded me a bit of the classics, Homer gathering a bunch of friends, who also happen to be fathers, for one of his adventures, even though they did the guitar idea the the fourth time I think. The second half at first got me thinking it would be another shitty episode since celebrities just appeared out of nowhere, but they manage to keep all the focus on Homer and Apu and the celebrities, although forgettable and could be replaced by any other famous band, was okay. My biggest complaint about this episode however is the lack of humor. There is barely any actual humor, not even any attempts to make a chuckle. This episode is all about story and characters. If your looking for humor or just a bad episode to laugh at, you'll find none here.

3/5...

Also, did anyone see the picture of Homer's Barbershop Quartet days as the B-Sharps in Apu's room?

Blog Entries

Normal Episode. Could have at least played more than one song. I don't think it was too bad though. I wish there were more references to the B Sharps, such as Apu changing his name to Apu Debeaumarchais.
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Question? Whatever happened to Jer? I know he's a minor character and all, but why is he replaced by a Moe-wannabe?

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Nice shot of the picture of the Bee Sharps in Apu's dressing room.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Shoz View Post
    Question? Whatever happened to Jer? I know he's a minor character and all, but why is he replaced by a Moe-wannabe?
    Because funny.

(even though it wasn't actually funny, it was probably meant to be.)

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Average, middle of the road, sort of okay....etc. Was more of a time killer than anything else.

3/5

Random stuff:

I think Apu's role was inspired by the new lead singer of Journey and how he was from Asia, had an Asian accent, but could sing Journey songs perfectly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    I think Apu's role was inspired by the new lead singer of Journey and how he was from Asia, had an Asian accent, but could sing Journey songs perfectly.
    Correct. Even the story of how the band discovered him was inspired by the new Journey singer.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Hugh Jazz

Homer seemed at lot more intelligent than usual in this one. Which is not really out-of-character, yet WAY more refreshing than his hopelessly stupid persona that has dominated the Jean era.

It seems each showrunner has to find a balance between story and humor. Up until the Scully era, they were easily able to nourish both. Scully put more emphasis on humor, which even at the expense of consistent characterizations, he did really well with. Jean has been largely inconsistent and increasingly dull trying to comply with both. Selman has chosen an emphasis on stronger storytelling, which has put humor on the backseat, but to me is a better offer than the show's long-time resignation to lazy storytelling and cheesy jokes.

This episode is not the first where Homer dreams of joining a band or becoming a guitarist, though it is a fresh spin on the premise.

4.0/5

Yeah, this episode was just kind of boring. I wanted to like it more, but there was just nothing that funny about it. I know: less laughs, more emotion yadda yadda...I guess I just expect a little more. This season has had some decent episodes in it, and this one just fell flat for me. Interesting idea and nothing cringeworthy or anything like that, and there were small things I liked here and there (it was definitely a "feel good" episode).

I agree with @Financial Panther; Apu's voice change did remind me of New Kids on the Blecch. They literally could've had anyone play Apu's part. This episode felt derivative; nothing really stood out to me. I actually yawned while watching this episode, and I wasn't tired

5/10

Blog Entries

There was a Be Sharps and Sadgasm reference in the newspaper under the headline "Disassembled Bands" or something like that.

What's great about the Modern Simpsons is that they come up with terrible episodes that makes Family Guy look pretty funny.

Anyway, just seen the newest Bob's Burger episode, so everyone forget about this forgettable Simpsons episode ever existed and head over to the Bob's Burger review thread instead. Seriously, Bob's Burgers is like the only good animated show now on FOX, at this rate it should deserve it's own dedicated fansite like NoHomers. Anyone who like's the movie, Aliens, Dawn of the Dead, and loves Thanksgiving specials should definitely want to talk about what the newest Bob's Burger episode did. Hilarious material. C'mon, you know you want to.

They brought back the Springfield shopper.

5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Shoz View Post
    Anyway, just seen the newest Bob's Burger episode, so everyone forget about this forgettable Simpsons episode ever existed and head over to the Bob's Burger review thread instead. Seriously, Bob's Burgers is like the only good animated show now on FOX, at this rate it should deserve it's own dedicated fansite like NoHomers. Anyone who like's the movie, Aliens, Dawn of the Dead, and loves Thanksgiving specials should definitely want to talk about what the newest Bob's Burger episode did. Hilarious material. C'mon, you know you want to.
    Okay Bob's Burgers spokesperson.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

The formation of the band seemed really unnatural; there wasn't much chemistry between those characters and emotion that was attempted was unconvincing as a result. Apu's singing voice was off-putting and I didn't much care for that song they kept playing, either. I guess I should be happy that they didn't bring in an actual band. By the way, it was pretty convenient that everyone at the table Marge was sitting at had a husband who was annoying them with music. And since when does Reverend Lovejoy like rock and/or roll? That Zerz thing reminded me of Family Guy... that is two episodes in a row with a Family Guy-esque joke. I suppose that is going to be a regular thing in the TABF production season... ugh. And once again, a significant part of the plot is lazily shown with a montage. I actually think there were at least three montages here. I did like Marge's speech in the garage about Apu's success, but unfortunately, there was so much wrong with the rest of this episode that that didn't make much of a difference. And that's two Selman episodes in a row that seemed pretty much indistinguishable from Jean episodes. Overall, lazy writing, failed emotion, awful humour attempts... 2/10

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Nitsy

This is what happened to Jer

Nice to have the Nordiques referenced on the show, that was the highlight for me.

I liked Apu's voice and the spin on the newspaper joke. Nice to see Sanjay again This was definitely an episode that made me smile more than laugh.

It might be the best Selman episode this season so far but Clown in the Dumps and Simpsorama were better episodes (and at least I laughed while watching these episodes)

3/5

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dr. Cactus

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

Some funny bits in the beginning*, a funny ending, and then...flat throughout the middle. The song they sang was catchy, but nothing else - the humor, the emotion, the plot - really stood out. Lovejoy (embracing the rock and/or roll), Hibbert, and Kirk were generic enough to have been switched for just about anyone, but Apu stood out, and it was nice to see him in action again after so long. 2.5/5

*My favorites being the newspaper gag and Homer's strumming bringing his kids sundaes.
    **Now that I'm thinking about 'Zerz, I'm suddenly hungry for boneless wings. Or mozzarella sticks. Or both. Potato soup is good, too. Oh God...
    Last edited by Hugh Jazz; 11-23-2014 at 08:14 PM.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Watchable, generic episode is generic. There were a few decent laughs at the start with Moe's rival and Homer's bass, but everything afterward was just forgettable and could've been done with any other TV show cast easily. Also, only 1 song? Very musical episode my ass.

Overall: 6.2/10, or 3/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Didn't find a single thing in this episode to be even moderately humorous. Just a massive bore.
    Piss/5

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: jakeboyman

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - nothing out of the ordinary. I did feel a bit of a retcon from "How I Spent My Strummer Vacation", however.

Apparently, you can say "testicle kick" and still get only a PG.

Homer knows what a gel is; he mentions them in "A Star is Torn".

When Homer started jamming with the others, the bass sounds didn't match his hand movements.

When Homer played at dinner, the sundaes that appeared in front of Bart and Lisa were not on the table in the earlier shot.

Apu's singing voice didn't sound different when he sang "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" in "Lisa the Vegetarian".

The band was going to play Circus Circus, which is not exactly a "star" location in Vegas.

Bart asks what a game show is - hasn't he ever seen, say, "Wheel of Fortune"?

Marge had 5 tickets, but two backstage passes - and they only used four seats, so why was the fifth ticket necessary? An extra ticket for Maggie would have used up an extra seat.

The seats at the venue were more like benches.

The music was played by Matthew Sweet and Aron & Robert Mardo (the latter two are also known as "Heavy Young Heathens"). They were credited with the last name Manderosian. They also performed in the movie Wild America, where they were credited with the last name Marderosian.

Written by Matt Selman
    Directed by Steven Dean Moore
    "Hopin' for a Dream" Lyrics by Matt Selman & Matthew Sweet, Music by Matthew Sweet
    No billboard or chalkboard
    Couch: everybody is looking at their cellphones when they run into each other on the way to the couch
    Special Guest Voice: Will Forte, Sammy Hagar
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly, Aron Michael Manderosian, Robert J. Manderosian, Maggie Roswell, Matthew Sweet
    "Hopin' for a Dream" performed by Matthew Sweet & Heavy Young Heathens
    Additional score and garage band Cues written and performed by Matthew Sweet
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

Pin Pal
    Blog Entries

Decent plot but boring. There is barely humor in it but the story sort of keeps me interested a little.6/10
    American Dad: Father's Daze (4/10) , Fight and Flight (5.5/10), The Enlightment of Ragi-Baba (6.5/10), Portrait of Francine's Genitals (4/10), Bahama Mama (5.5/10), Roger's Baby (2/10), Ninety North, Zero West (8.5/10), Whole Slotta Love (5/10), The Witches of Langley (8/10), A Nice Night for a Drive (6.5/10), Casino Normale (6/10), Bazooke Steve (4.5/10), Camp Campawanda (6/10), Julia Rogerts (5/10), The Life and Times of Stan Smith (5.5/10), The Bitchin Race (4/10), Family Plan (5/10), The Long Bomb (8./10), Kloger (3/10), Garbage Stan, The Talented Mr. Dingleberry, West to Mexico

Thread Information