View Poll Results: How do you rate the episode?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5

10 10.99%
  • 4/5

31 34.07%
  • 3/5

27 29.67%
  • 2/5

11 12.09%
  • 1/5

12 13.19%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Opposites A-Frack

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Avatar courtesy of Telso Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Rate & Review: Opposites A-Frack

Mr. Burns starts a fracking company and hires Homer as his accomplice, which draws the ire of Lisa. She brings in Democratic assemblywoman Maxine Lombard (guest voice Jane Fonda) to put a stop to it, but things go wrong when the old woman embarks on an affair with Burns despite their political differences. Rate and review here after the episode airs.

What the hell is going on in this thread?
    Signature.

look out "the world" Two Guys, a Girl, and a Christmas kat's Avatar
    Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

That ending seemed really forced and lazy.

Rest of the episode was lame, 2/5

Blog Entries

um
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

This was just Lame. The story itself was boring.

Blog Entries

holy shit did anyone else get surprised when mr burns died like jesus

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Opossites a Frack
    Misssed the beginning.
    - Not good yet.
    + Patty + Selma leg hair.
    + Documentaires.
    + Rich Texan Dancing in Oil.
    +” He made us watch him dance for 3 hours.”
    + Prius limos.
    ++ Energy National resources and Blimp safety best joke so far.
    -- Hooray, Another mr burns gets a girlfriend episode.
    End of act 1.
    + Donut ring.
    -Racist joke.
    ++ Homer’s speech.
    -Judge Judge Judge joke dumb.
    + Money dance party.
    + Mr burns texting.
    -And now Homer and Marge Marriage crisis?
    End of act 2
    -- “Our Water was on fire!”
    + Homer being wrecking balled.
    ++ All things considered.
    + More prius limos.
    --- SHUT UP MARGE!!!
    -- Dumb end joke.
    Overall that was decent. 8/10, dragged down to 7/10 because of recycled plots and racist joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 29 RATINGS
    The Serfsons 5/10, Springfield Splendor 5/10, Whistler's Father 3/10 , Treehouse of Horror XXVIII 3/10, Grampy Can Ya Hear Me 3/10 , The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be 3/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

Very weird Homer this episode.

Anyway, boring episode. Nothing too terrible.

3/5

look out "the world" Two Guys, a Girl, and a Christmas kat's Avatar
    Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HANDSOME.S4.E5.TURKEY.GUYS.XviD View Post
    holy shit did anyone else get surprised when mr burns died like jesus
    Wait...what?

I don't remember that happening at all.

Junior Camper

Surprised by how good this episode was. Nothing particularly memorable at all, nothing clever or hilarious, but a consistently not horrible episode. If they could maintain that quality that would be great (well not great but good I guess)

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Not a particularly special episode, though Maxine has the potential to be a good recurring character, not to mention a possible ally for Lisa.

Still waiting to see Matt Selman without the training wheels.

3.0/5

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

+ Homer being wrecking balled.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd give this a 3.5/5. It had some funny moments but a lot of 'filler', too.

Best moment: Patty and Selma on fire.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

By current standards it was good. I think it tried to do too much though, between Homer working for Burns, Burns' new relationship, the detriments of the fracking operation, etc.
    I could hardly tell what the conflict was 2/3 into the epsiode. Was it the danger of the water being on fire? Burns dating his polar opposite? Or Homer having to overcome a moral dilemma?
    Luckily the upsides were noticeable - primarily spot-on characterization across all characters. Burns was especially in a more classic mode, and the Patty and Selma intro segment was pretty vintage Simpsons. Not too many LOL moments across the epsiode but lots of chuckles and smiles, and good character moments.
    3.5/5. A bit better than Selman's last outing, but not as good as most of his previous ones (Brick, Earth Stood Cool, Book Job, Totally Fun Thing)

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

"*chuckling* I played this just perfectly."

Um, explanation? Is that the joke that we don't know what he did and that it didn't work in the end? Honestly, the affair was the more interesting than any of attempts at fracking satire.

Come on. Don't dangle something like that in our faces and not do anything about it. This is much more plot relevant than, say, Carl being mad at Lenny for no reason in "Mountain of Madness".

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jazz View Post
    "*chuckling* I played this just perfectly."

Um, explanation?
    I think the joke was Smithers didn't do anything to break them up, but he's smugly taking credit for it.

Oh. Well. Then. If so, disregard. Still strange, though...
    Last edited by Hugh Jazz; 11-02-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This episode was okay but i thought it was just another political environmentally filled liberal episode,
    jane fonda was pretty good in this, the character she played was a very good match for Mr. burns, patty and selma trying to give up smoking
    just so they could live in the simpsons home was good but i think they should of went more into it, in conclusion this episode lacked humor but it was alright in character study. 3/5

Blog Entries

two steps forward i take two steps back we come together cuz imddressed like a cat

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is the synopsis of this episode actually the plot? I mean, I know it's zombie Simpsons but... what?

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

It wasn't Selman's best, and it wasn't incredibly heartfelt or wall-to-wall funny. But dammit, it told a solid story that I could follow from start to finish featuring Burns being evil, Lisa being her usual treehugger self, and had enough of a mini-epic vibe to win me over. I liked the scope of the whole thing, with much of the townspeople utilized, and it was nice to see the relationship not dissolve in the final minutes (I believe a Krusty episode did that, the Princess Penelope one).

4/5

--

The season so far:
    Clown in the Dumps - 3/5
    The Wreck of the Relationship - 4/5
    Super Franchise Me - 4/5
    Treehouse of Horror XXV - 4/5
    Opposites A-Frack - 4/5

It's been pretty good so far, several episodes that could have been middle of the road went above and beyond thanks to either a focused story or funny jokes (or both). Clown in the Dumps is the weakest, Treehouse of Horror XXV is the strongest. Really looking forward to next week!
    UP AND ATOM!

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Blog Entries

I feel like this is a great example of The Simpsons really suffering for the shorter run-time. I wonder if there was a lot that was cut down for time? Overall, not too bad! The pacing just wasn't right, and I think that if they'd been given more time to really slow down they could have really made it work.
    Brrapt Brrapt Pew Pew!

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This wasn't a bad episode, but it kind of got weaker as it went along. The best part was undoubtedly the beginning with Patty and Selma. I liked seeing them at Homer's mercy for once, and the excessive amount of smoke alarms around the house was pretty funny. Most jokes in the episode worked, although one potentially good one, the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame front, was ruined by Lisa's complaining that it was a Hall of Fame building, not a fracking site, instead of not saying anything and making the viewers get the joke themselves. Speaking of that, there was a nice subtle gay joke for Smithers. We haven't seen one of those in a long time. Well done. Maxine was a pretty bland character, who looked exactly like Mary Bailey. Her sudden romance with Burns was kind of hard to believe, but it did lead to a somewhat interesting "enemies by day, lovers by night" sort of thing. It wasn't bad, but there were some parts that could've been better. I'll give it a high 3/5.
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 11-02-2014 at 08:27 PM.

I liked this episode, but it wasn't as good as the last episode that aired on FOX. So far, this is the worst episode this season. The good news is, there are more episodes to go and I don't think this will be the worst episode for this season.

3/5
    Last edited by PatrickButler21; 11-02-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Next episode: "Simpsorama"!! The Simpsons/Futurama crossover.
    Last edited by PatrickButler21; 11-02-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Matt Nastuk is playing the game really well tonight, I can't deduct any points at all! The scene where Homer and Burns are at the mansion before the demolishers move in would have been animated by Istvan Majoros. There were a few bits and pieces that felt like they were rehashing "'scuse me while I miss the sky", especially around the climax of the episode. Aside from that, I agree with everyone else; the story was well constructed and coherent, the characters were spot on, the opening with Patty and Selma was excellent, and it was a little light on jokes. Things are still looking up for Matt Selman, though.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This episode didn't seem to know what it wanted to be about. There must have been at least four different plots going on. Mr. Burns and Maxine's relationship, their debate over fracking, Homer's new job, Homer and Marge's relationship... Not that the latter two occupied very much time, but this episode felt really unfocused and rushed as a result of all the things that were going on. Rushed in that there wasn't much to Mr. Burns and Maxine's relationship because it wasn't developed very much. And I have no idea why they decided to start making out in the first place. On the other hand, most modern Simpsons episodes seem ridiculously short to me because there is usually a long couch gag, an unrelated first and fourth act (EDIT: I realize there was an unrelated first act in this episode. But it was the best part of the episode, so I'm not really complaining about it). But this one felt quite long, to its credit. It actually felt like I was watching a full episode. Not that the time was necessarily used wisely.

As for the "satire," there wasn't any (at least not related to fracking). It was more like watching a blog post with the straightforward and one-sided manner in which the topic was presented. But, that was obviously not the main theme of the episode, which was the unlikely relationship between the evil, heartless capitalist Mr. Burns and the wonderful, compassionate liberal Maxine. Of course, there was no decent satire there, either. Everything that was done or said was incredibly obvious. I'm inclined to say that this episode was better than the previous two (and Clown in the Dumps), if only because it seemed to have a lot more content than what I have become used to, but its merits aren't numerous enough to warrant significantly higher praise and it has some pretty glaring flaws with regards to the writing and the attempted satire. But even with all those problems, it seemed a lot more natural than recent non-Selman episodes. 3.5/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 11-02-2014 at 08:42 PM.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dr. Cactus

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

2/5 - it came across as less of a Simpsons episode and more of an Anti-Fracking PSA.

Patty and Selma smoke Laramie Super Tars.

The Springfield State crest has a star, an ear of corn, a beaver, and a "radioactive" symbol.

Having Burns Manor turned into a recycling center, Native American museum, etc. is sort of the reverse of a city using eminent domain for purposes of building a Wal-Mart.
    On the other hand, other cities have used eminent domain to keep Wal-Marts from opening.

"Our...water...was...on...fire!" Then...pump...your...water...from...somwehere...else! Ask Senator Boxer about the "Richmond-San Rafael Pipeline."

It's not Whacking Day; it's Fracking Day!

Why does Burns need the mineral rights of everybody on Evergreen Terrace - and, for that matter, why no one else's? He didn't need any of this when he slant-mined the oil from beneath Springfield Elementary.

The signature line said Marjorie B. Simpson; yes, Bouvier is her maiden name, but presumably her middle name starts with B as well.

Written by Valentina L. Garza
    Directed by Matthew Nastuk
    No billboard, blackboard, or couch
    Special Guest Voice: Jane Fonda, Robert Siegel
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV

Blog Entries

Tonight's episode was slightly above-average for Selman, but even that is pretty good.

The fracking operation felt like some of the moral material Selman is excellent at (Is it worth cheating if it alienates a loved one? Is family honor worth breaking ties with friends? Who wins in Internet piracy? Who did the Oldenvelt belong to? Should Homer stay in a world where nothing changes?), but it was a lot harder to relate to. The two sides weren't presented very clearly: the anti-fracking side essentially only had Marge repeating "the water is on fire!", and the pro-fracking side was just Homer happy at a promotion. Which is a shame, too, because the idea of money breaking up relationships could have made for some outstanding Selman stuff. As for the actual fracking, it wasn't exactly dead-on satire like Steal This Episode, but at least it didn't take sides and somewhat showed both sides of the argument. Although it can be argued that because Mr. Burns is doing the fracking as opposed to his girlfriend's recycling center/cultural center campaign, the writers are subconsciously criticizing fracking.

Burns's relationship with Maxine (I seriously had to look her name up; I've already forgotten it) was sorely underdeveloped. I wouldn't even mind that had they expanded on the angle about money vs. love, but all the fracking stuff took time away from that. Burns going from yelling at Maxine to outright kissing her within seconds of the first act (not even a musical montage!) was horribly rushed. However, I did like that the political stuff was kept to a minimum and that they kept the focus on the idea of Burns and Maxine being completely different but sharing passion. Glad to see them eschew lame political satire and go for a "we're different on the outside but same on the inside" angle reminiscent of El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer. And even though Burns was in love tonight, he remained evil throughout the episode, which is a major plus.

Marge and Homer's plot stemmed nicely from the main fracking plot and provided some good parallels to the Burns/Maxine relationship. (Reminds me of how their falling-out over the Oldenvelt mirrored Kirk and Luann's falling-out in The War of Art.) Again, the idea that Homer and Marge were able to reconcile despite the fracking disagreement (leading to Burns and Maxine reconciling despite the fracking argument - parallels!) had an El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer-esque feel, which isn't a bad thing. The destroying of the fracking tower using water on fire was a great way to tie in Marge's constant nagging about precisely that, similar to Bart eating his broccoli in The Wreck of the Relationship or Homer using formula to put out the compost fire in The Day the Earth Stood Cool.

Oh, and the opening of the episode where Homer finally got one over on Patty and Selma felt like early Jean-era material. (Sidenote: I like Alf Clausen's French music cue as much as the next person, but they've been using it literally every other episode. It was just used in Super Franchise Me in the Seurat scene.) Off the top of my head, I also laughed at the goldfish dying when Patty and Selma threw their cigarettes in the fishbowl, Bart melting a plastic army toy with the water on fire, smoke detectors covering every inch of the house, "Lisa, motorcade", the dumb-looking electric-powered limos, "Frack or Fiction," Frink repeating a Frink-noise when repeating something louder to Lisa, Homer's argument of money money money over Frink's more cogent g'hey argument, and most importantly, the return of the "That's negative, man" man holding a sign with his catchphrase. It's no DJ Keghead, but it's still a Matt Selman classic.

Overall, not Selman's best work, but still pretty solid. 8/10. Season 26 is looking good so far. (Then again, the guest star ass-kissing spectacular and Tim Long haven't arrived yet, and Selman has been behind almost half of the episodes.)
    Last edited by peyrin; 11-08-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Okay, giving more time to think this over, I think I'm ready to rate it. Probably about a 3/5 overall (though on my scale that's still a decent episode). There's a lot of stuff in here that worked really well. For example, this is probably the best characterization Burns has had in years. I'd love to see him like this more often, instead of the senile mess that we saw in, say, Super-Franchise Me. My sincerest compliments to Garza, Selman, and everyone else who had a hand in writing him tonight (and of course to Shearer as well). I also loved the bit with Homer's solution to getting only one donut out of the box, Lombard wanting to get Maggie in the photo of the tap, Homer fighting with Patty and Selma (both the ludicrousness of all those smoke detectors and Patty and Selma seemingly have gotten one up on him with the electronic cigarettes).

However, as a couple of people have already said, this episode didn't seem very focused, between all its plot threads, leaving some feeling underdeveloped. Burns and Lombard's relationship starts out as being built on sex, so I'm not bothered by the lack of personal development between the two. However, the scene where they hook up - suddenly going from fighting to macking on each other - is incredibly cliched. Why do these two want to bone? What attracts Burns to Maxine? What attracts Maxine to Burns? (I know he's a 104-year-old corpse and it takes a very special type of person to be attracted to that, but she obviously is, so.) A couple of seconds of even them holding eye contact or something during the hearing would have done wonders for the sexual tension between the two. Instead all they do is argue for a couple of minutes and then bang. And also I still think the Smithers line was bizarre and a missed opportunity.

But, uh, I don't hate the episode or anything. Like I said, about 3/5.

(As an aside, the description of the episode with the emphasis on Lisa being the one calling in Maxine Lombard made me think there was going to be focus on her becoming disillusioned when she found out her hero was fracking with Mr. Burns. Not a criticism, I'm just surprised.)

Thread Information