View Poll Results: Did it do its job this year around?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Awesome! I was on the edge of my seat!

16 14.55%
  • 4/5 Not bad, they are getting good again

53 48.18%
  • 3/5 Ah, damn, could have been so much better.

30 27.27%
  • 2/5 Quite boring, like a bad low-budget horror flick.

6 5.45%
  • 1/5 Hahahahaha, what the hell am I watching, The Room of horror?

5 4.55%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: Treehouse Of Horror XXV

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Rate & Review: Treehouse Of Horror XXV

Discuss and rate when it airs.
    @Brian the Dog Lock the thread before airing this time to avoid complications.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 10-19-2014 at 08:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

nah I won't be closing
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian the Dog View Post
    nah I won't be closing
    Come on, you KNOW what happened last time!!!!

Blog Entries

well I don't take orders from OSS so no

no more on this topic, plz

Besides, FOX is cutting it close with football again, running it until 7:35 PM, and chances are knowing how football games go, it will probably delay the start of the Simpsons! And FOX HAS to do this on the night of a new "Treehouse of Horror" special!

Ugh, did they REALLY need to do a Kang and Kodos-themed intro again? Almost like the lame ones we had in 2004 and 2005!
    Except this time they were only in voiceover, and I did like how it was actually spoofing the intro to "The Tonight Show."

Blog Entries

so who was ratzenberger?

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here we go with the live review.
    Opening.
    - too short.
    - Commercial already!
    End of opening.
    School In hell.
    + ralph.
    +"Boobs and soup"
    ++ Skinner saying penis
    + Donut callback
    + Screaming torso
    +"skin him"
    + Bart's screaming prank
    - Hot stuff refrence is dumb.
    ++ very funny montage.
    Overall, that was great. 8/10

A clockwork yellow.
    + funny montage
    + Shary boobins callback
    -I dont like this.
    + Things in hat.
    --- This is terrible.
    That segment was terrible. 3/10.
    The Others
    +++ Frosty chocoalte milkshakes.
    ++ The many married with childrens.
    +The car sellers bible.
    + Melons.
    ++ The many callabcks to early simpsons.
    + This is good.
    ++ Marvin monroe comes back.
    ++ Marvin monroe walking halfway through walls.
    +++ Other simpsons.
    Overall, that was amazing! perfect 10.
    Overall, this was great. the average is 7.5, but that's too low. I give it a 8.5/10.
    Last edited by The Easter Egg Council Creep; 10-19-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Is it strange that a Simpsons episode can be pretty good even though it wasn't that funny? I give it a 4/5, "The Others" was definitely the best part.

Too bad they didn't show much of Lisa's tomboyish side from the Tracy Ullman days. All she did was made a funny face during the photo scene.
    Last edited by Santa Shoz; 10-19-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Blog Entries

did not see the intro

hell school or whatever it was called was pretty ok. nothing bad at all and it had a long, satisfying feel. actually chuckled at burns' hell hole

the clockwork orange parody was a little weird but i thought it was pretty well executed. had some good laughs and it worked well enough. no real halloween feel though

the tracey ullman segment was great. i really liked all the references like the 'frosty chocolate milkshakes' being left around, and i thought everyone sounded pretty good imitating their former selves, except for lisa, who conveninently only had like one line. @tormented ratzenberger was a new incarnation of homer in this segment

overall i'd give it like a 3.5/5, rounded to an overall 3. best THOH in a while
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

11. Thumbs Up To This Post by: tormented

Avatar courtesy of Telso Rembrandt Q. Einstein's Avatar

Was the third segment called The Other Simpsons?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The first two acts were fairly stupid and Clockwork Yellow was one of the dumbest shorts yet.

The Others parody was the only worthwhile segment.

Overall, a 2/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

This episode wasn't that funny, but it was still well made. Best segment was the third one, mostly the ending with the other styles and the family picture.

4/5

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Didn't much care for School in Hell. It boasted most of the traits of modern Simpsons I don't care for. Lengthy joke misfires, jokes that require explanations, list jokes riddled with unfunny puns, musical montages that combine all of these offenders, Homer ranting nonsensically for no good reason. I actually didn't mind the premise (Bart enjoying school in Hell). Just felt the execution was awful.

A Clockwork's Yellow was a solid parody - great animation all the way through.
    Will be appreciated more for those with familiarity with A Clockwork Orange and the rest of Kubrick's filmography.

The Others was both entertaining and disturbing. Would have preferred that premise as a full 22-minute episode to be perfectly honest.

Yet another THOH of inconsistent quality. Makes me think they ought to go back to the classic era approach of splitting head writing duties for these episodes.
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 10-20-2014 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Awesome THOH! Intro was too short, and they didn't even show Kang and Kodos. The least they could do was show more of the dead celebrities talking. The first segment was awesome, I can't find any major flaws with it. 5/5. The second segment was horrible, although it may just be because I don't get the reference. 1/5. The final segment was the best, my only complaint is that nobody said "Lets all go out for frosty chocolate milkshakes". They could have at least squeezed it in at the end or something. Marvin Monroe was well placed. 5/5. Overall, I say it is a 4/5. I really give it like a 3.5, but since the good segments were just so good, I will round to 4 for the poll.

Also, is this the first THOH where Kang and Kodos didn't appear?
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

1) I was mildly disappointed that the Clockwork Orange spoof wasn't a direct spoof but I did love all the references to Stanley Kubrick films at the end. I think Kubrick's line of rewrite everything could be a reference to what he did to The Shining.

2) Wish there was a Venture Bros style Simpsons family at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamville View Post
    Awesome THOH! Intro was too short, and they didn't even show Kang and Kodos. The least they could do was show more of the dead celebrities talking. The first segment was awesome, I can't find any major flaws with it. 5/5. The second segment was horrible, although it may just be because I don't get the reference. 1/5. The final segment was the best, my only complaint is that nobody said "Lets all go out for frosty chocolate milkshakes". They could have at least squeezed it in at the end or something. Marvin Monroe was well placed. 5/5. Overall, I say it is a 4/5. I really give it like a 3.5, but since the good segments were just so good, I will round to 4 for the poll.

Also, is this the first THOH where Kang and Kodos didn't appear?
    They didn't physically appear but they still appeared in the episode as TV Hosts narrating the intro.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Shoz View Post
    They didn't physically appear but they still appeared in the episode as TV Hosts narrating the intro.
    Yes, but would this be the first that they did not physically appear in?

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Oddly, Kang and Kodos had scenes, but it appears that they were cut:

at 13 seconds in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twMDJ2n6dr4
    UP AND ATOM!

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

The intro sucked.

First segment was decent, maybe even good, but not great. It had it's moments at least.

Second segment was way too dragged out AND ended suddenly, terrible combination, bad segment.

Third segment was great, easily the best of the three, made me laugh more than any episode in the past ~5 seasons.

3.5/5 rounded up to 4/5 because I'm feeling generous.

Blog Entries

opening was really good. is this the first THOH where kang and kodos weren't shown?

first segment was probably the most fleshed out in terms of story. very halloweeny and the burns joke was great.

the Kubrick segment was a lot of fun. for once they actually did a parody of something without just relying on copying it scene for scene. I thought it was very well done how the story was it's own thing without following the movie to the letter. also I loved how it ended with a clash of Kubrick's films (eyes wide shut, 2001: a space odyssey, barry lyndon, etc.). I think the ending with Stanley Kubrick was a nod to his first film "Fear and Desire" in which he wanted to destroy every copy of it. but yeah moe as alex was a well-executed idea, as well as homer, lenny and carl being his sidekicks.

the 'in-and-out' joke got the biggest laugh from me, as well as the orgy parody with homer and marge. I also liked moe using the eye-clamps to watch Fox, the seven duffs taking the place of the naked lady statues, and Moe getting attacked by the bullies. that scene was like a mix of the rape scene and the cat lady getting killed by the penis statue.

the last segment was a segment I was really looking forward to but they really fumbled with it. it would have been so much better if they weren't ghosts to begin with. there was just too much nonsense with that and the conflict of Homer choosing between the Marge's was too drawn out. they absolutely could have had a lot more fun with this, but it seemed to rely too much on fan-service than actually making something really creepy. that's not to say I didn't enjoy it for the fan-service though. I liked the frosty chocolate shakes bit and marvin monroe's return. so yeah and for a segment that relied on just the aesthetics, the ending was actually a really cool touch. still ultimately it's my least favorite segment of the night.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Did anybody notice the various THOH callbacks throughout the episode? A black hole alien from THOH XXIII was seen on the Syfy Married with Children, an ironic punishment donut device was seen in the school from THOH IV, the animal versions of the family from THOH XIII were seen just before the credits, and Willie killing Maggie felt like revenge for killing him in THOH V.

The episode itself: I liked the intro, it was short and had clips from past THOH episodes, which was fitting given the milestone. The dead guest stars spelling out the title was a funny gag, just wish we saw Kang and Kodos.

School is Hell: Pretty good segment. Great art direction and creative designs, however the story was weak. Burns's hell portal was a great moment. I loved the visuals and the gore. 3.5/5

A Clockwork Yellow: Great collection of Kubrick parodies all coming together, again the art direction was fantastic. Though I can see a lot of people being lost of the references. Moe was a great fit for the lead character. 4/5

The Others: Fantastic! So much fanservice. Liked the herky-jerky animation style and the modern characters commenting on the shift in characterization, especially with Ullman Marge and Homer. The ending was great as well, can't wait for when the series goes CG in 2025. 5/5

4th act: for once a tacked on 4th act that is gold! Great to see a recreation of the "Family Portrait" short with modern and Ullman era Simpsons.

Overall, 4/5. Another great THOH.

Last edited by Captain Squid; 10-19-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Intro:
    Could have been better
    5/10

School in Hell
    Nice segment. My best gags: iRunes, Long Division and Keeping The Yankees in First classes, Burns's Hell Portal
    8.5-9/10

A Clockwork Yellow
    Meh... At least the creators in-universe were aware of it. Only the basic plot kept in my head
    4/10

The Others
    Woohoo! Great segment. My best gags: Milkshakes, Married with Children spoof, Melons, Many Other Simpsons
    9.5-10/10

Other Simpsons List if anyone wants to remember, as I remember: At least:
    At the door:
    3D Movie Simpsons (Take that, out-of-nowhere movies)
    Anime Simpsons
    Outside:
    Lego Simpsons (Straight from "Brick Like Me")
    Simps-minions (The only ugly ones, IMO)
    Animalized Simpsons (Straight from "The Island of Dr. Hibbert, TOH XIII)
    Last edited by Justadoo444; 10-19-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: I just remembered Burns's Hell Portal. Added it to My Favorite Gags, as it was great.

NHC's biggest shitposter Bort Simsin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

great thoh, loved all segments, 5/5

Overall => 2,75/5 or 3 in the poll
    My Simpsons Season 26 Ratings/Reviews:
    Clown in the Dumps : 1/5 / The Wreck of the Relationship : 3,5/5 / Super Franchise Me : 3/5 / Simpson Horror Show XXV : 2,75/5

Definitely way better than last week's crapfest--nothing cringe-worthy in it from what I noted. The third segment was definitely the best (loved the reference to "frosty chocolate milkshakes" thing and of course the CGI Simpsons...*shudder*), but the other two segments were pretty good as well, especially considering I'm a Kubrick fan.

I guess I have more to say when the episodes suck :P

4/5 - best of the season so far
    Last edited by Nitsy; 10-19-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

That was a nice surprise. THOHs over the past few years have been forgettable or just plain crappy, but this had me laughing the entire time. I was worried the Clockwork Orange parody was going to be a shallow parody, but they really pulled it off and used the characters well. The ending with Stanley Kubrick was icing on the cake. I like how there were callbacks to previous episodes and THOHs (The donut machine in hell, the Yankees winning from Bart Gets Hit By A Car, Maggie dressed like a droog) It's safe to say this was the best one in years 5/5

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whoa, it didn't have 4 minute long intro like usual. Off to a better start then usual.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Well that was disappointing. The premise was promising, but like it always is, the execution was awful. This whole episode was a mess. All three segments felt simultaneously rushed and like nothing was happening. It was just a series of scenes with no smooth transition from one to the next, which greatly inhibited my ability to be engaged. As with the last episode, I felt absolutely nothing during this episode. This is a Halloween episode, and yet it was incredibly stale. There was no horror, no suspense, no atmosphere, nothing that makes this resemble something someone would want to watch on Halloween. It might as well have been a Mother's Day episode.

The third segment was the one I was looking forward to the most, but rather than being something original and fresh, it turned into a goddamn marriage crisis. Not even the fact that all the main family members died saved this from being stale, since all the characters died in the most boring and emotionless ways possible. I might as well have been watching a golf tournament considering how little I cared about what was happening. I did enjoy the old voices and a few other touches, but that was about it. The second segment was completely incoherent. At no point did I have any idea what was going on. At first, I figured that maybe I would have enjoyed this more if I were familiar with the source material, but then I realized that I know absolutely nothing about Cape Fear and yet Cape Feare is one of my favourite episodes. The enjoyment of a parody shouldn't need to depend on one's familiarity with the source material. They should tell an enjoyable, coherent story on their own. As for the first segment, I have nothing to add. Just really forgettable. Overall, an incredibly stale and pointless episode, but that is all it was. I'm not going to remember this for being remarkably bad because it was just too forgettable. 3/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 10-19-2014 at 07:27 PM.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: LukeMM95

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Opening: Nice and short. I liked the screengrabs of the random THOH's, but there wasn't much else.

School in Hell: This was a great segment that did the horror angle very well. It's exactly what a THOH should possess. I liked how Bart excelled at the subject; it's consistent with the fact that even though Bart struggles with school in general, he can be very clever when it comes to a subject that interests him. I would give this an A.

A Clockwork Yellow: What...the fuck was this? I've never seen A Clockwork Orange, but the good parodies shouldn't make it so you've seen the material in order to get it. I didn't know what the hell was going on. Just awful from start to finish. F

The Others: This was pretty good, although it disappointed me that it was a marriage crisis segment. It had kind of a funny spin on it due to the fact that Homer was deciding between two Marges, though. There were a couple references only the big fans like us would get, such as the frosty chocolate milkshakes, and the ending was great as well, with all the different variations of the family showing up. B+

This was solid, but the second segment really brought it down. 3/5

Thread Information