• 1/5: Finger lickin' bad

10 11.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Super Franchise Me"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Super Franchise Me"

Marge makes sandwiches for the kids at Springfield Elementary, and they are such a great success that she decides to open a franchise sandwich store, but running a store proves to be quite difficult, especially when another store opens across the street.

Blog Entries

Since there were a bajillion duplicates to pick from, this is the one I kept. Good job, you guys.

Re-open after episode airs, yada yada yada.

insert usertitle here The Easter Egg Council Creep's Avatar
    Blog Entries

- Not too good couch gag.
    + Jesus scultpures
    + Freezereno.
    + Funny montage
    + Santa’s Little Helper eating crusts.
    - This is just like The Twisted World Of Marge.
    End Of act 1 decent so far
    -- SHAUNA? NO!!!
    ++ Homer drinking Cola.
    + Mr teeny eating.
    ++ Mr Teeny in salsa.
    ++ Proffessor frink.
    - Marges voice acting bad in the 2 and 4 scene.
    ++ Great Fox meta joke
    +++ Gils Legs.
    + Gil baloney heel.
    -- Marges voice acting sounds really rough.
    End of act 2. This is amazing so far!
    + so Cletus rusn the other store? Interesting.
    ++ Mr burns in love with mother Hubbard standee
    ++ Cletus Commercial.
    +++ GUY INCOGNITO!!!
    - Actually just homer.
    ++ More Mr Burns in love.
    End of act 3. This might be the best episode of the season so far.
    - - Great moments in sandwhich history ending dumb.
    Overall, this was nearly perfect. A clear 9/10 through and through, would have been perfect 10 if not for Dumb ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor View Post
    wait wtf, i think i accidentally made my place communist
    SEASON 28 RATINGS
    Monty Burn's Fleeing Circus 4/10, Friends And Family 3.5/10, The Town 2.5/10, Treehouse of Horror XXVII 7/10, Trust But Clarify 7.5/10, There Will be Buds 5/10, Havana Wild Weekend 6/10, Dad Behavior 2/10 The Last Traction Hero 7.5/10 The Nightmare After Krustmas 5/10, Pork And Burns 7.5/10, The Great Phatsby 1.5/10, Fatzcarraldo 3/10, The Cad And The Hat 4/10, Kamp Krustier 4/10, 22 For 30 4/10, A Father's Watch 3.5/10, The Caper Chase 4/10, Looking For Mr. Goodbart 2/10, Moho House 3.5/10, Dogtown 4/10
    Average rating= 4.5/10

Check out my music reviews!
    My Sonic reviews!
    And my Pokemon reviews!
    VOTED 3RD MOST IMPROVED USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST USER IN THE NHC AWARDS
    VOTED 2ND WORST BLOGGER IN THE NHC AWARDS

Blog Entries

The Good: Uh...

The Bad: Voice Acting, Jerkass Flanders, and mostly every joke.

Also They should have used actual Guy Incognito at the end instead of Homer in Guy Incognito Costume

2/5

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

That was pretty damn weak and forgettable. The scene with Gil's legs was predictable and very cringeworthy. 2/5

Blog Entries

wasn't keeping track of the time so when it came back for act 4 just for a random minute-long tag about homer as a caveman i was scratchin my head

that's all of interest i really have to say about this ep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Blog Entries

Not bad! Even though it was a recycled plot, there were some good moments. There were no major faults (although I didn't like the gil's legs scene), making this the best episode this season, and also the best episode in a while. I think the idea of two sandwich stores next to each other is funny, especially since where I live has 3 CVS stores on the same block. I really wish that in the end, that the person who they spilt the coffee on was actually Guy Incognito, and then Homer comes in. That would make my day. I really hate how they are making Shawna more of a major character, she is such a weak character with no personality. The ending was stupid. Overall, I will have probably forgotten it in a few weeks. 3/5
    Rest assured that I was on the Internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world.

Blog Entries

so that was an episode of modern simpsons. marge just gets a store because things just happen to simpsons characters now. there are no customers because no customers is obviously the funny way to go. then the simpson family become workers and the rest of the episode just felt like them stretching this premise (that didn't have much humorous potential) as thin as they possibly could. practically every joke failed. julie kasner was so obviously phoning it it was ridiculous. so yeah this sucked... just another day for modern simpsons. 1/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, it was okay until the "express" opened up across the street. 3/5

(On a side note, most food franchise owners would have to sign away rights to allow different owners to open another same-brand store to open within a certain area.)

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was pretty boring. There were a few funny parts around the beginning, like Homer imagining the rest of the family as food, but the rest was just really bland. I didn't really understand how Marge got out of the whole thing, but whatever. The ending was meaningless, and yet another thing they could've cut to help develop the real plot a little more. Bland, boring, and pretty unfunny. 2/5 for some okay stuff at the beginning.

Blog Entries

There were exactly three time I really laughed:  The eagle intercepting Lenny's "drone" delivery, Homer putting Pizza Hut out of business via free soda refills, and the giant sloth waking prehistoric Homer up to keep chasing him, which reminded me of the wolf and sheepdog Looney Tunes cartoons.  I also enjoyed Mr. Teeny happily bathing in the salsa.

I don't understand why Marge fired Gil. He was only hired to be a mascot, and he alerted Marge to Shawna's theft. It just seemed like a lazy and cruel way to write him out of the plot so the rest of the family could get on staff. I did like that fleeting moment of dignity they gave Gil, when he told Marge that he was the only one she could trust and then helped her catch Shawna stealing. Man, his character is just too depressing to be funny

Overall I found this ill-paced and just boring. It wasn't awful and cringe inducing, just Dullsville. Maybe 2.5/5... I'll see if it improves upon rewatch. Very disappointing after last week's episode.
    Brrapt Brrapt Pew Pew!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Homer steals Flanders electricity and then Flanders finds out and unplugs it and then takes back his cooler that homers steals and dumps the meat out that homer put in there and then marge decides to make sandwiches out of the meat and then she finds out that bart and lisa is trading the sandwiches at school so then she gets approached by an investor that wants to make marge's sandwiches into a restaurant called Mother Hubbard Sandwich Cupboard in which she agrees too, so she starts to hire employees and then fires them and hires her family and then a second Mother Hubbard opens up and it is run by cletus's family and marge cant compete so she comes up with a plot to get her investment back with the help of homer and it works the end, in conclusion this episode was good with a few funny parts with the jab at fox, the drone sandwich and Gil was funny but overall pretty descent, the opening was good, the end filler dawn of the sandwich was alright, l really liked the tribute to jan hooks at the end. 4/5
    Last edited by dman360; 10-12-2014 at 05:29 PM.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Couch gag was cute, that song always makes me want to watch an episode of Extras. First act with Flanders was fun, I miss Edna, yet I've grown so used to just Ned and the boys since Maude's death that it was oddly normal to see Ned single without talking about being single. I thought the whole spat between the two were a nice segue into the main plot.

It was nice having no B or C plot, simply focusing on the rise and fall of Marge's business. Frink, Burns, Moe, and Gil all had good scenes. Even Shauna was decent, and I'm no Shauna fan. I felt the sandwich shop lent itself to some fun gags and the plot flowed nicely. While it was nowhere near some of the Selman episodes, it was still an enjoyable Marge episode with no offensive or bad moments and a plot that was easy to follow. 3.5/5 rounded up to a 4/5

Clown in the Dumps 3/5
    Wreck of the Relationship 4/5
    Super Franchise Me 3.5/5
    UP AND ATOM!

Did anyone notice they didn't put a single tablet, Ipod or Mapple gadget in tonight episode? Feel good to finally watche an episode without it.

absolutely atrocious, possibly the worst episode i have ever seen. I was watching season 8 last night and this feels like a different show. it's an entirely different style of humour but even that implies there is any humour left at all. this feels like it was written by 6 year olds for 6 year olds. jokes were incredibly cringeworthy, the characters weren't particularly likeable and burns was characterised horribly again. there was no satire, there was no moral, there was nothing sweet or heartwarming, there was nothing funny. i don't know how it's possible for a television program to decline in quality this much but regardless, here we are. season 26 has been abysmal thus far. 0/5, 1/5 on the poll.
    how do you put gifs in sigs

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I rather enjoyed that episode. No guest stars. A lot of fun gags that worked. No wonky subplots with contrived resolutions. Great pacing and characterizations. The only drawback for me was Julie Kavner's strained vocals. Easily the first pleasant surprise of the season in terms of exceeding expectations... albeit low ones.

Also, Buntain Simpson should stop watching new episodes. This show is no longer for him.

Blog Entries

unless they're supposed to be out curing cancer and solving crimes there's nothing wrong with anybody watching modern Simps if they want to

Blog Entries

wait

idea for a movie character: a wisecracking cancer-curing police detective with an unhealthy television obsession

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tormented View Post
    wait

idea for a movie character: a wisecracking cancer-curing police detective with an unhealthy television obsession
    ...airing on NatGeo.

Blog Entries

wait

...airing on NatGeo.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

unless they're supposed to be out curing cancer and solving crimes there's nothing wrong with anybody watching modern Simps if they want to
    You'll get no argument from me on that front. I'm just offering well-intended advice. If you're watching this show in 2014 and comparing the quality to crap you watched 18 years ago instead of crap you watched last week, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment and unmet expectations.

Just like I wouldn't advise someone in their late 30s to expect the girls they pick up at the singles bar to look and act exactly like they did in their late teens-early 20s.

Blog Entries

Rehashed plots in the HD era typically turn out pleasantly forgettable, and this one was no exception. The pacing was pretty spot-on, proving once again that Jean & Co. need to stop writing underdeveloped subplots that take away from the main plot's time. The episode jumps into the plot nice and quickly with Marge's sandwiches getting popular. Tress MacNeille's character was dull for the most part. The secondary characters had some funny bits (Frink trying to welcome the customers without saying a "glayvin" was my favorite), and the family working at the shop together was a nice moment. Cletus working at the shop across the street (with his huge family) was a nice progression of the plot, as was the fact that "Express" causes everyone to work there. The drone gag right around here made me laugh (Lenny is great as usual; his sandwich high-five with Carl made me laugh as well). Marge deciding to close up shop after seeing how thin Homer got was a little weird, but Marge pointing out a technicality (and the franchise owner acting surprised that anyone read the contract) and Homer celebrating breaking even with corporate America made me laugh. The ending was filler (what more do you expect from such a short fourth act?), but I liked the annoyed grunt gag.

Nothing great, but nothing very bad either. Also, Just Stamp the Ticket Guy and Guy Incognito! So...6.5/10. (3/5 for the poll because "meh" is mostly what I felt about the episode)
    Last edited by peyrin; 11-02-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

I gave it a 2 - not quite enough "meh" for a 3. The subplot, if you can call it that, didn't really go anywhere.

The couch opening included 3-eyed seagulls.

Flanders has a DVD rewinder.

If all of the circuit breakers were turned off, then all of the outlets should have been off as well.

Snowball II wasn't on the Ferris wheel.

Homer has bottles of both catsup and ketchup.

In the Pizza Hut flashback, Homer's cup doesn't touch the trigger for the soda dispenser.

The closet at the sandwich shop has a doorknob, but there's no latch on the side of the door.

The sandwich shop sells french fries - how many sandwich shop franchises do that? (I can name three that don't; Subway, Quizno's, and Togo's.)

You would think that episode 555 would have at least one Speed Racer reference.

"In Memory of Jan Hooks" - while there was a picture of Manjula, there was none of Hooks herself

Written by Bill Odenkirk
    Directed by Mark Kirkland
    No billboard or chalkboard
    Couch: Random shots of Springfield life end with Homer having tea on the couch, only for everything to shatter when Homer stands up with the tablecloth tucked inside his pants
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I guess I can give this episode credit for showing the more tedious details of running a business... but what was the point? There wasn't a point; it didn't say anything about Marge or anyone else, nor did it say anything about running a business. It didn't show what Marge was thinking or do a good job of portraying her stress or developing any conflict. Running a business, particularly one that isn't doing very well, must be pretty stressful. And yet this was possibly the most stale episode I've ever seen. There was no reason to care about the conflict, really no reason whatsoever to be emotionally invested in anything that was happening. What were the risks of Marge opening this store? It didn't show them. I don't even think it mentioned that she made an investment until the very end (obviously she would have, but not once during this episode did that matter, at least until the end). Was Marge afraid of failure? That is the impression I got, at least until Moe very conveniently told Marge how to get out of it. This episode did a terrible job of showing what the conflict was. It is sure to go down as an episode I will have no memory of in a few days. There was also too much Gil (and that scene with his legs... probably one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on this show). Anyway, I will give this my standard rating for this kind of insipidity. 3/10

Junior Camper

What music was playing during the montage near the start of the episode? With Homer waiting for the meat to be cooked?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselStomper View Post
    What music was playing during the montage near the start of the episode? With Homer waiting for the meat to be cooked?
    The Ecstasy of Gold

Junior Camper

Right! Thank you! Couldn't quite place it.

To Professionalism! DarkDiamond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It wasn't awful but it was basically a rehash of "The Twisted World of Marge Simpson". I didn't laugh, but the story flowed quite well. 2.5/5
    Zombie Simpsons - Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps - F The Wreck of the Relationship - F Super Franchise Me - D- Treehouse of Horror XXV - D Opposites A-Frack - D Simpsorama - D+ Blazed and Confused - D Covercraft - D I Won't Be Home for Christmas - D+ The Man Who Came to Be Dinner - C- Bart's New Friend - D The Musk Who Fell to Earth - F Walking Big & Tall - D

Family Guy - Season 13
    The Simpsons Guy - B The Book of Joe - C- Baking Bad - C+ Brian the Closer - C Turkey Guys - B+ The 2000-Year-Old Virgin - F Stewie, Chris, & Brian's Excellent Adventure - B Our Idiot Brian - B- This Little Piggy - D Quagmire's Mom - C

Blog Entries

except the plot kind of goes in a completely different direction...

still there really was no conflict besides the contract stuff and that was basically handled in a "oh just do this" type manner. I feel like the episode was just an excuse to throw the family into a situation where they are all working minimum wage and we just get to watch them struggle. if anything, "twisted world" was just the body of the episode and "helter shelter" was the skeleton.

stuff I chuckled/felt amused by: balloon drones, wiggum's "I'm going to sit next to it" act break, and I can't really remember what else.

stuff I couldn't resist saying "ooh that's bad" out loud: gil's legs

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This could have been good, but it wasn't. Plot was okay for being that similar to The Twisted World, but it didn't particularly stand out. Gil, who has never been a good character, was annoying. Very predictable jokes about corporations and "another franchise opening right across the street". I liked the Guy Incognito ending, but again with the random ending act, is it that hard to make an episode with 20 minutes of the plot? Oh and Mr. Burns' characterization... 2/5 for having some amusing parts.

Thread Information