View Poll Results: Does Ian Maxtome-Graham save this season?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 The City Of New York Vs. Homer Simpson

6 7.41%
  • 4/5 Burns, Baby Burns

14 17.28%
  • 3/5 Tennis The Menace

32 39.51%
  • 2/5 Dangerous Curves

21 25.93%
  • 1/5 Catch 'Em If You Can

8 9.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R&R: The Yellow Badge Of Cowardge

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

Post R&R: The Yellow Badge Of Cowardge

Episode summary: Bart subtly acts like a huge dick to Milhouse in the big school race. Will he regret it?
    Air date: May 18

Can Ian Maxtome-Graham write a great Simpsons-episode again? Or will this be a huge disappointment? We'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by OldSchoolerSimpsons; 05-18-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Egg Council Creep View Post
    Other weird dreams I had
    - I was going to see a Rush concert, and the opening act was Bill Cosby

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

I laughed at the fire department delivering pizza.

The joke about Cletus's kids was disgusting.

Woah, when was the last time we saw Uter?

I did like the remark about Milhouse spraining his shoulder during the Pledge of Allegiance.

ACT TWO:

Milhouse getting a memory triggered by being hit by a rubber band? That was kind of stupid.

ACT THREE:

I was just numb throughout this whole act. I literally cannot say anything about it.

OVERALL:

Not good, not horrible. The very definition of average. 3/5 (C)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

I think the couch gag meant the Simpsons Movie sequel will suck.

Act 1: July 4th subplot in a May 18th episode.
    Less than 5 minutes in and already a bunch of characters we'll never seen before.
    Proof of existence for multiple kids from years ago.

Aaaand that's about it.

Overall, 3/5 pretty much a better version of Boys of Bummer.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I only now noticed how off I view the poll choices. Tennis the Menace is FAR worse than the episodes given lower grades...and now I see the votes weren't public? OldSchoolerSimpson man...no more episode threads outta you....

Anywho I went back and forth on this as I was watching but I think it was inoffensive enough for the generic 3/5 I've given over half the episodes this season....at least that's how it feels anyway. Highlights included Frink's line that actually felt like something Frink should say and the montage through the dangerous areas with the fireworks.

PS: So they called Michael Fat Tony's nephew in this...so are they factoring in that it's really Fit Tony or???

Blog Entries

Pretty okay. 3/5
    Last edited by BrokenBox; 05-18-2014 at 04:55 PM.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

this was the most bi-polar episode I've seen in a long time. For every good scene, there was another messed up scene, the most notable was Cletus's kids and Milhouse drinking out of the toilet. The damn Fireworks joke went for FAR too long, though. 3/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    I only now noticed how off I view the poll choices. Tennis the Menace is FAR worse than the episodes given lower grades...and now I see the votes weren't public? OldSchoolerSimpson man...no more episode threads outta you....?
    Sorry, I promise I won't do that again...

Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

So they called Michael Fat Tony's nephew in this...so are they factoring in that it's really Fit Tony or???
    That episode was so bad even the writers forgot about it.

Blog Entries

Well it makes sense if they're considering him Fit Tony now, but I never before got the impression that that was the case so I do think it was a mistake. Random shout outs to past episodes can be enjoyable but ya gotta at least get the references right...

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well it makes sense if they're considering him Fit Tony now, but I never before got the impression that that was the case so I do think it was a mistake. Random shout outs to past episodes can be enjoyable but ya gotta at least get the references right...
    For what the writers get paid and what counts as an 'acceptable' script in S25, why would the current staff care if they got some one-time, useless character's (i.e.: FIT Tony) name wrong?

Blog Entries

I don't really care that much, but eh it was just something that popped into my head and...oh you said why would the writers care? That's easy, they won't...

First premiere of the season for me and it wasn't too bad. funny enough for a 3/5

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This was a case of an episode with some jokes that worked, some jokes that didn't and two stories that couldn't possibly be less interesting. Even Lisa sounded bored in her narration.
    Plus, isn't it a wonder that they keep bringing back Glenn Close just to waste her talents when so many other one-time guest stars could actually be brought back to do something interesting.

Blog Entries

did lisa as narrator add anything to the episode? no.

also thank god nelson was there to make sure we got the charlie brown reference.

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

Tentative 2/5. Some things worked (like Maggie at the end) but on the whole everything felt unfunny and contrived. More detailed thoughts later. (I still do not understand why it wasn't called "The Yellow Badge of Cowardice" instead. The reference would still come through...)
    Last edited by Hugh Jazz; 05-18-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was adequate. I liked the "Tripod" joke, but felt like it was ruined when the joke was extended. The fireworks plot wasn't great, but it was passable I guess. Not much to say about this very run-of-the-mill, average episode.

3/5

Pretty boring but I liked the joke about Milhouse's shoulder during the pledge and Maggie teasing Bart. I also liked Homer singing [that annoying song my mother likes] at the end but I always find Homer singing funny. It was nice that Bart did something positive for his friend but how often does he have such a conscience? I dunno..

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

2/5 - I would have given it a 3, but the Lisa narration dragged it down.

THE SIMPSONS MOVIE II - coming in Summer 2017! Er, that is what the opening meant when Maggie answered Comic Book Guy's question with three sucks, right?

Springfield has a "Field Day" on its last day of school - are they actually called that in the USA?

You would think Edwin Moses would know that not all hurdles are the same; the ones used in the 110m race are 1.067m (42 inches) high, while the ones in the 400m race are 0.914m (36 inches) high.

The pack of students behind Milhouse didn't have Bart, yet when Bart was in the wooded area, he was not only ahead of the pack, but well ahead, as he stopped to look at Milhouse and still managed to win the race with nobody in sight behind him.

The calendar page on the refrigerator has June 1 on a Thursday; this last happened in 2006, and will happen again in 2017.

When Bart was introducing Milhouse at the ceremony, he briefly sounded like Nelson.

Grampa being a coward in World War II contradicts his heroism with the Flying Hellfish. Then again, both of those contradict the time Grampa dressed as a woman to get out of being drafted...

There is nothing between the floors of the Simpson house this time.

Written by Billy Kimball & Ian Maxtone-Graham
    Directed by Timothy Bailey
    No billboard or blackboard
    Couch: everybody, plus Matt Groening, is at "San Diego Comic Fest"; when Comic Book Guy asks about a second movie, only Maggie is still in her seat
    Special Guest Voice: Glenn Close, Edwin Moses
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-V

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1: Another not couch gag opening. Eh, at least it was short. Why is Lisa the narrator? What purpose does this add to the episode? Cletus's children were gross. Laughed at Skinner's egg toss. Hello Edward Moses, you added nothing. Callbacks to Lovejoy and Fat Tony's kids, with the other kids new. Milhouse decides not to move around Nelson, and is beaten up, oh, and then Bart wins the race. Meh.

Act 2: M.A.S.H. joke dumb. Bart dream okay, but his other dreams have been better. Liked Bart yelling at Maggie. Lisa's narration still really unneeded. Glenn Close extremely wasted and sounded really off. Everyone intense from alligator puppet show...okay. Hillbilly jokes still bad. Bart's a town athlete...guh? Well, at least they had Bart acknowledge the absurdness of this. Then Milhouse suddenly remembers what happened from cartoon "hit head to remember" logic, and the act is over. More of the same meh.

Act 3: Laughed at mortgage joke. Can't remember if Abe was a coward in the war or not, so won't complain now. Pointed out obvious Charlie Brown reference is pointed out and obvious. Bart still moping about this after a month? Show self awareness of Mel yelling the obvious. And now Milhouse is a hero thanks to Bart's calculations of what would happen. Oh, and Maggie's chicken noises were cute, that is all.

Really meh episode, honestly don't have much to say about it. Bart's plot was pretty meh and was pretty obvious about what would happen in it. Homer's firework thing had a few moments, but was pretty fillerish. Lisa's narration didn't add anything to the episode and could've done just as well without it. It was a really boring episode and an unmemorable closing to Season 25.

Overall: 5.4/10, or 3/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This episode was okay. The plot seemed rushed at times, but it had relatively few flaws and the plot was mildly enjoyable (although, it was fairly bland). I liked how the two plots intersected; probably one of the better jobs they've done with incorporating the subplot into the episode this season. Even though the Italian guy didn't have a personality. Also, I thought Bart was characterized fairly well for once. Overall, mediocre, but not too bad. 4/10

EDIT: About the poll... what the fuck? First of all, it's not public, and second of all, Catch 'Em if You Can is a great episode and Tennis the Menace is a piece of crap. (I see you've already been chastised for the poll... disregard this then).

I...actually liked that. Most of the gags hit home, and it was a really nice story between Bart and Milhouse. 4/5, 8/10.

Blog Entries

7/10 - tl;dr in the last paragraph

Let me just start by saying, the execution of this episode was pulled off pretty well. The Yellow Badge of Cowardge isn't particularly memorable, but it's still a pretty good episode.

Throughout the entire episode, Lisa narrates the stories accompanied by some great piano music. While I didn't find the narration necessary (or particularly funny), it didn't really hurt the episode either, so I'm not going to complain about it.

I didn't understand the title gag where the "Congratulations Graduates" sign came up and graduation hats were thrown in the air. Was there a joke that flew over my head...? The opening sequence skips straight to the couch gag, but the arrangement of the theme music for this episode is different from the standard "straight to couch gag" opening. The couch gag wasn't really a couch gag at all, but it was a pretty funny scene. I kind of wish it was placed in the end credits. I wasn't a fan of seeing Matt Groening alongside the Simpson family, because that's just a mess of continuity-breaking, but the joke was great. Comic Book Guy (fun fact: you can see Milo from Husbands and Knives in the background) asks if there will be another Simpsons movie, and the cast (sans Maggie) all run away. The joke did prolong a bit, though, when Maggie sat there looking confused. Could this be a hint at The Simpsons being cancelled and work on the second movie starting?

The episode begins with Lisa narrating, which I have already said is pretty unnecessary. We get some proverbial gags ("The wicked flee when none pursueth" and "The Lord answered, 'Bring me a heifer, three years old.'"), none of which I found particularly funny. Then the real episode opens with Bart being very excited over it being the last day of school. This brought back fond memories of the "last day of school" scene from Kamp Krusty. It was done far better there, but that's not to say that the opening scenes here were bad. The only laughs for me were Bart saying that he is no longer allowed back into the prison work crew and Homer drinking the multiplication problems that Bart tossed in the blender. "Hmm, needs more numerators."

The Springfield Shopper is apparently free now. The headline reads "July 4th Fireworks Cancelled," and the article was written by Hans Moleman. I can't exactly make out what the article says, but there are tons of jabs in there at Moleman's age and handicaps. The first sentence, which reads, "The town of Springfield was shocked and nearly given a heart attack by a barely audible announcement from a Mayor Quimby-shaped blur on the front steps of a building that appeared to be city hall." There's also "What was I talking about? My stars, it's harder and harder to keep focused." and "Did I say Mother before? I meant Jasper." Seems like a funny read, if anyone can get a clearer screenshot. The lower article says "Bastille Day in Jeopardy" and is written by Victor Hugo, Cub Reporter. The entire article is in French. I'm a big fan of gags like this, where the writers actually take time to write out an entire news article that only gets 1 second of screen time. It makes great use of the HD animation, and is actually funny sometimes.

Back to the episode. Homer is bummed that there is no fireworks display this year. We get a cutaway gag with Marge explaining that the firemen need to deliver pizza. Cut to firemen delivering pizza using the ladder on their firetrucks. That was pretty funny as cutaway gags go. Homer's subplot is really short and quite weak as subplots come and go, but the plot convergence more than makes up for that. I'll get to that later.

We're back to the main plot, as Springfield Elementary prepares for its Field Day ("Our last chance to make you feel inferior!") The field day jokes were really hit-and-miss. Cletus's children, who win the races because they have three legs or are shaped like wheelbarrows, were just stupid. (Despite being stupid, I found them secretly funny.) The kids throwing eggs at Skinner was pretty funny, but also kind of sad because of how pathetic the writers portray Skinner these days. The tug-o-war students all texting on their phones was funny, but it was ruined when Chalmers texted them to force them to tug. (One of the texts that bounces back to Chalmers, "Lewis will be out of the office June 6th-August 25th", was pretty damn funny, though.) The total non-sequitur with Ralph saying that he likes play-d'oh that comes out of the pony's butt was really cringy. It had nothing to do with the plot, but was just there because 1) filler and 2) Ralphism. Macaroni the pony's shed (which explains the Tapped Out decoration) wasn't funny at all. Not really sure where they were going with that.

Anyway, after all of that hit-and-miss field day, the Race Around the School finally begins. (Sidenote: Why was Sideshow Mel colored yellow for this entire episode? I thought he was supposed to be that pale white color.) Edwin Moses's guest appearance was pretty bad. He delivers too much dialogue, and none of it is funny enough. Revealing that he used to go to Springfield Elementary was a throwaway gag that just ruins some continuity.

Is the main plot beginning yet? Now? Oh good. Milhouse has been training for this race, and for some reason, winning it will change his life. It's a plot hole, but a small one, so I won't complain. I laughed at Milhouse's fantasy where winning the race cured his asthma. He laughs in a deep heroic voice, and it cuts back to reality where he gives a really pathetic laugh. Overhearing this plan, Martin goes to bet on Milhouse. The odds (Hubert 3:2, Lewis 2:1, Sherri/Terri 4:1, Bart 8:1, and Milhouse 1000:1) were pretty amusing. Quick lame gag with Willie giving his shack to Uter, and we see that Martin has bet $20 on Milhouse. Great gag with Wiggum arresting Skinner for having a gun in school (to start the race). Chalmers's commentary on the race was surprisingly good. Database and Cosine at the starting line testing the wind speed was funny, as was Frank Sinatra's kid doing it "his way" and "Rounding out the pack are all the kids that we never see." "Milhouse takes the lead. What, the same boy who sprained his shoulder doing the Pledge of Allegiance?"

In order to make sure that they don't lose a fortune ($200,000) to Martin when Milhouse wins, Nelson goes out to beat up Milhouse. Good to see him as a menacing bully again. Edwin Moses makes another lame appearance (fine, his running over a cliff and "Good job, Edwin" was amusing), and then we see Nelson beat him up. Bart runs away from the scene (Lisa's still narrating? Oh right), and his eyes make a quick contact with Milhouse. If it were done in the classic era, I'd imagine that this scene would be a lot more powerful emotionally. Here, it doesn't really pack the punch that it could. Bart just betrays his friend, and instead of being really sad, I was feeling more of indifference to Milhouse and Bart.

The next act starts with Milhouse forgetting about what happened in the woods, which comforts Bart. Then we get a really dumb MASH parody with Dr. Hibbert and a bunch of kids with ice cream headache. It did nothing for the story, and just took up valuable time.

Bart gets a nightmare where Milhouse constantly asks for his help. It's not as good as, say, Bart's nightmare in Bart Sells His Soul, but it gets the job done in that it shows Bart is guilty over betraying Milhouse. There was a great joke, though, where Milhouse holds up a paper with 3 x 3 = ? for Bart, and Bart changes the ? into an 8. He wakes up from his nightmare, when Maggie gives Bart a feather. At first, this scene honestly just seems really stupid. Bart somehow interprets it to mean that Maggie is calling him a coward. Once again, it just took up some time. (Sidenote: For once, this episode had some great pacing. A lot of scenes were unnecessary, but overall it flowed pretty nicely.)

Was there a subplot? Oh yeah, the fireworks. Homer flashbacks to earlier times, when he sets himself on fire with sparklers (only funny thanks to Dan's great voice acting as young Homer), and when he watched the July 4th fireworks to zone out his parents' arguing. Why is Lisa narrating Homer's past? Once again, really unnecessary. Glenn Close makes her appearance as Mona Simpson here, and...dear God. She sounds nothing like Mona; not even like Mona from How I Wet Your Mother two years ago. What happened to her voice? It could have been Tress MacNeille for all I know.

Time for a modern Simpsons trademark - the lame one-timer. Because it's supposed to be funny, this one talks in a "funny" Italian accent, which actually just makes him that much more annoying. I liked young Homer asking him, "Are you God?" The fireworks dude gives young Homer his card, and for some odd reason, Homer still has it now. We get a pretty dull scene where Homer convinces the fireworks dude to make him a fourth of July show, and predictably, he will do it.

Back to the main plot. Bart brings Milhouse a "remember nothing" cake, and they watch a children's puppet show together. (Laughed at Milhouse's TV interests) The puppet says "friends help friends in trouble." Unlike a lot of the TV shows and Itchy & Scratchy shorts we get today, the puppet show actually ties into the plot, which is really nice. Ridden with guilt, Bart runs away. Like the first scene, this one also had the potential to be deeply emotional with Bart's guilt over betraying Milhouse. But just because of the writing of the dialogue, it just isn't able to achieve that emotional peak that it would have been able to achieve back in the classic era. Unfortunate.

The scene at Cletus's farm with the fireworks was real filler. Only good laugh was when Cletus finds out that the stuff he sold to the Columbian drug cartel was gunpowder, and we see an explosion in the background. The rest was just Cletus being a stereotype.

Good to see Drederick Tatum again, here representing "LiveNice: Athletes united to read prepared statements." Bart is brought up and hailed at a hero (for winning a casual race? Seriously?). In yet another case of mediocre writing, Bart tries to bring Milhouse up and recognize him, but he can't confess and instead just piles on a lie. Lisa's narrating kind of ruined the scene; in a better version of this episode, we should have been able to see Bart's inner struggle with his guilt without the need of a narrator.

As the second act closes, Milhouse is hit by a rubber bracelet, and he remembers what happened during the race. Great use of color schemes for his flashback. He reveals Bart to be a coward, causing all of Springfield to hate him (wow, what exaggeration). Drederick Tatum has to change his Bart tattoo into a grocery bag tattoo; a good visual jab at Bart's appearance.

Bart passes by a sign for chicken and an aquarium ad for spineless wonders while he runs away from Milhouse. And because the plot calls for it, he somehow finds himself at the Retirement Castle. In a really unnecessary scene, Bart asks Grampa for help. Grampa says that he chickened out on D-Day (he rode the submarine back) in a throwaway gag, and that he is still guilty now. What was the point?

A guilt-ridden Bart keeps on waking up at night. Gags with Santa's Little Helper and Milhouse drinking out of the toilet were cringeworthy. Also, why the hell was Milhouse having a sleepover while he was mad with Bart?

Homer gets his fireworks, and he needs to get them to the fireworks dude's house. There's a gag with Homer having to drive amid fire-breathers, cobblestone roads, and gaslamps, but it goes on for far too long to be funny. Shame, because it really did start out pretty funny. Sometimes When We Touch is used as part of the fireworks sequence. This throwaway gag is used later on in the closing sequence. Homer pitching a sequence, with a bunch of booms and bangs (good voice acting from Dan again), was pretty funny.

"Wrong holiday, Charlie Brown" wasn't particularly funny. Wiggum and Lou having to shoot Snake with their Revolutionary War reenactment muskets was, for once, funny because it was really long. The payoff, with the bullet barely going anywhere, was great. The writing where Homer gets in a fight with the fireworks dude was really weak. Of all the ways they might get mad at each other, the best thing the writers could think of was the two arguing over the date Congress signed the Declaration of Independence? Lame.

The fireworks are suddenly aimed at the audience. Frink delivers a really good joke about "target audiences," In a really good callback, the rubber wristbands that originally caused Milhouse to remember the experience are now inadvertently used to start the fireworks sequence. In a second callback, Grampa leaves the scene on a boat like he did on D-Day. To save the target audience, Bart drives a van in front of them to take the fireworks, and he frames Milhouse for it, leading Milhouse to be called a hero. For a really weak plot like the firework plot, this was one of season 25's best plot convergences. The resolution to both plots worked very nicely together. Good joke by Lenny hoping the savior is Carl, and Carl replying that he was tweeting out his last meal.

As Milhouse is carried away, he says thanks to Bart. Because of the sloppier writing throughout the episode, this climactic scene isn't able to pack any emotional punch. Lisa ends the episode on a nice note, that Bart got his reward because he's no longer guilty, but it's quickly ruined when Bart is carried off by the crowd as well. What is that supposed to mean? Bart sleeps nicely, and it turns out that Grampa has been playing the piano music the whole time. Pretty lame gag to close out the episode.

Remember the stupid gag with Maggie and the feather? Luckily, it gets some great closure here. It turns out that the feather is from Maggie's broken teddy bear. Bart uses his winning ribbon to stitch it up, showing that he's over the incident. It could have ended on a really sweet moment between Maggie and Bart, but of course it has to be ruined by Maggie making chicken sounds (?). The credit music is Homer and the fireworks dude ruining Sometimes When We Touch in a pretty unfunny way. Fireworks dude's singing was pretty cringy.

Overall, it's a pretty decent episode. Both plots flowed very nicely (amid a ton of unnecessary scenes) and had a nice plot convergence; one of season 25's best-written plots. The jokes were very hit-and-miss, with plenty of cringeworthy jokes as well as some really funny ones. The fireworks dude was yet another bland one-time character (forgot his name already). Lisa's narration was extraneous and ruined some of the emotional potential of the main story. The main story might have been a really touching story between Bart and Milhouse, but thanks to some sloppy writing, it gives me more of an indifferent feeling than a heartwarming feeling. Decent finale to a decent season. 7/10

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I didn't understand the title gag where the "Congratulations Graduates" sign came up and graduation hats were thrown in the air. Was there a joke that flew over my head...?

The joke did prolong a bit, though, when Maggie sat there looking confused. Could this be a hint at The Simpsons being cancelled and work on the second movie starting?
    "Congratulations Graduates" was probably just a generic "hey, it's almost summer" / "last episode before September" joke.

As for the movie, has anybody said that they won't make a second movie until after the TV series ends? (Besides, the Family Guy movie is supposed to come next, isn't it?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Jean
    I've always been of the view that if we ever did a second movie, which would be exciting, it would be whenever the run of the show ended.
    Source

Jean says there will be a movie sequel, but there are no plans yet and it probably wouldn't happen until the TV show ends production.
    Source

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

Code:
                                           JULY 4TH FIREWORKS
                                               CANCELLED
    By Hans Moleman, Cub Reporter

The town of Springfield was shocked               TV! Everything is long hair and disrespect and
    and nearly given a heart attack by a barely            Lannisters and Freys thinking they can get
    audible announcement from a Mayor Quimby-              away with anything. I don't care where you
    shaped blur on the front steps of a building           were brought up, there's a way you behave at a
    that appeared at press time to be City Hall,           wedding.
    [.......]it may actually be the bank or the                 Okay, back to that cancellation thing.
    [.......]y granddaughter's house. She lives            You remember those fireworks they used to
    [Homer's]her woman and there's only one bed            blow off every July something-or-other?
    [.thumb.]as far as I can tell and I just don't         They've run out of money and they won't be
    [......]I can ever accept that sort of thing. I'm      doing them any more. I blame Rock-n-Roll,
    [.....]a different time, I fought Hitler. I think      and by that I mean that awful new stuff, not the
    that was his name. He keeps hogging the re-            old skool Detroit-Shelbyville-Berlin pre-
    mote in the day room, and I won't stand for it.        Skrillex dubstep I used to pop and lock to back
         What was I talking about? My stars, it's          in the dizzle.
    harder and harder to keep focused. I blame                  Did I say Hitler before? I meant Jasper. I
                                                           ________________________________________________
                                                                       Continued on A2
    Last edited by Jerry P.; 05-18-2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity Pepper View Post
    This episode was okay. The plot seemed rushed at times, but it had relatively few flaws and the plot was mildly enjoyable (although, it was fairly bland). I liked how the two plots intersected; probably one of the better jobs they've done with incorporating the subplot into the episode this season. Even though the Italian guy didn't have a personality. Also, I thought Bart was characterized fairly well for once. Overall, mediocre, but not too bad. 4/10

EDIT: About the poll... what the fuck? First of all, it's not public, and second of all, Catch 'Em if You Can is a great episode and Tennis the Menace is a piece of crap. (I see you've already been chastised for the poll... disregard this then).
    Afterwards, I realize the poll options I used wasn't such a good idea.
    I also hate the question I wrote above... I mean, what the fuck? I don't even think he has written that many bad episodes!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolerSimpsons View Post
    Afterwards, I realize the poll options I used wasn't such a good idea.
    I also hate the question I wrote above... I mean, what the fuck? I don't even think he has written that many bad episodes!
    Ian Maxtone-Graham's episodes are generally pretty good. The only ones I didn't like so much were Tennis the Menace and Dangerous Curves.
    Last edited by peyrin; 05-18-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Well... that was cute I guess.

That Maggie tag was actually pretty adorable, and made up for that awfully lengthy gun-powder-on-top-of-the-car scene.
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

I thought it was a great episode. I always like when one-shot characters reappear like Muk Mu and Micheal did here. I also liked how Lewis got several mentions in this episode.

meh, this was one of those "boring but not bad" episodes. nothing about particularly interested me or made me want to watch again in the future. 2/5

Thread Information