View Poll Results: How Was It?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Friends Are Forever, Do Stuff Together

4 4.82%
  • 4/5 100 Friends, and Only 7 Are Milhouse!

30 36.14%
  • 3/5 My Only Friends Are Grown Up Nerds like Gore Vidal

26 31.33%
  • 2/5 Friends Are Overrated Anyway

16 19.28%
  • 1/5 I'm Still Not Leaving Until I Get Those Jokes You Promised

7 8.43%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Pay Pal" (SABF15)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Pay Pal" (SABF15)

Original Airdate: May 11th, 2014. Marge swears off befriending any more couples when Homer offends their charming new British neighbors. But when Lisa declares that she, too, does not need friends, Marge reconsiders. Rate and Review.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Blog Entries

Other than some okay jokes at the beginning, this episode was crap.

Only good thing was them using their own theme song at the end for once.

Oh and "What was that doing on the military history channel?!"
    Was great
    2/5
    Last edited by BrokenBox; 05-11-2014 at 04:54 PM.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, the part with the British what's his name guy was retarded and I've been part of a murder mystery dinner before, but without the costumes, so after that...

Anyway, I loved how they actually tried to mix some drama into this. IMO, Marge trying to make Lisa feel better about herself by trying to get a friend via payments seemed like a breath of fresh air this late in the series and it's nice to see Marge on the receiving end of bad parenting. Now, the writers could only make a situation where Homer walks out on Marge in a semi-serious manner.... (Colonel Homer doesn't count)

Finally, THEY DID THE JOKE I'VE BEEN WAITING YEARS FOR!!!! -- Lisa's reaction to someone who eats horse meat!

I'd give this a 3/5 and an extra point for the meat joke. Voted 4/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Meh. So far, this seems like a rehash of ideas we've seen done much better in previous episodes.

I liked Mel's "humble I can be" dialogue at the party.

I don't get the joke about the British guy's wife. Is she supposed to be a transsexual or something?

ACT TWO:

Jesus Christ, what a sloppy way of writing the plot. First, this girl comes out of nowhere and has the same interest as Lisa, then Bart grows suspicious of her for no reason whatsoever, and then it turns out she's actually being paid by Marge to be Lisa's friend. That twist came out of NOWHERE, considering all of Bart's picture taking was just filler.

I'll admit I liked Bart's remark about jazz musicians on drugs. That was the hardest I laughed at Zombie Simpsons in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

ACT THREE:

Wow, what forced emotion.

But at least the episode's over.

OVERALL:

I actually did like the idea of Marge feeling sorry for Lisa and paying for her to have a friend. If there was some actual build-up instead of the out of nowhere twist, then the emotion in the third act would have worked. Instead, we had this rushed... thing. Well, it wasn't all bad. Some of the jokes were pretty funny. I'll give it a solid 3/5 (C)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

"What was that doing on the military history channel?!"

I laughed. Far too hard.

First impressions: not bad. Had some funny jokes, though I do have some issues with the plot. I think either the episode should have focused either completely on Lisa or completely on Marge or revisited Marge's feelings regarding having no friends later on in the episode, even if only in the fourth act. (I actually expected the party scene from the preview to be what set off the plot about finding Lisa friends despite knowing about Wilkes John Booth. I was surprised to see it so late in the episode as just a joke.)

Tentative 3/5.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah this was alright, very average, 3/5. I seem to say that about 80% of the episodes lately.

Oh also anyone else think of the late era King of the Hill episode with the train murder mystery party with that first act?

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Xaiv

I thought it was pretty good. Down to earth plot with some well-earned emotion. I wish they hadn't just abandoned the new neighbor first act though. Some resolution there would have been nice, but overall a fine episode. Somehow it felt like a much much better version of "Luca$".
    Signature.

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well, I'd say this episode had some good gags and solid humor... but the emotion behind the characters was void, non-existent but I didn't really expect anything else. I guess I was spoiled in expecting it after the semi-emotion that was in Brick Like Me. Like I said, though, pretty consistent in the jokes. Notable points for me were Marge saying that Homer was sober when they first met and then Homer's to the audience, basically all of Maggie's appearances, Bart's library card picture and maybe a couple gags with Lisa that I can't recall. Oh, Comic Book Guy's skull getting shattered by the small headphones was really funny. Really, this episode was heavy on the gags and most of them worked really, really well because they didn't last too long on them (aside from the party scene) and kept them coming.

Overall, 3.5... I'll go 4 for the poll. Above average humor for this season but still lacking emotion. You can't have it all in the case of modern Simpsons and this is a shining example.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not that good. A lot of it was just stuff that's been done a thousand times, but I did like the twist that Marge was paying her. I feel like the jokes weren't very good in this episode, though. Gus was pointless and annoying. The third act was pretty sad, though I secretly felt like that was Marge's comeuppance for being a bitch to Homer earlier in the episode. And it looks like Lisa forgot what she learned in Lisa the Vegetarian. 2/5

What was the "Military History Channel" joke? I don't remember that.
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 05-11-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I have been waiting 25 seasons for somebody on staff to tackle this obvious conflict-waiting-to-happen between Lisa & Marge.
    Thank you freelance writer for choosing to develop their relationship in a way nobody else had the balls to do.

Really nice voice work from Julie & Yeardley tonight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xaiv View Post
    Well, I'd say this episode had some good gags and solid humor... but the emotion behind the characters was void, non-existent but I didn't really expect anything else. I guess I was spoiled in expecting it after the semi-emotion that was in Brick Like Me.
    I didn't know boredom was a desirable emotion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Not that good. A lot of it was just stuff that's been done a thousand times, but I did like the twist that Marge was paying her. I feel like the jokes weren't very good in this episode, though. Gus was pointless and annoying. The third act was pretty sad, though I secretly felt like that was Marge's comeuppance for being a bitch to Homer earlier in the episode. And it looks like Lisa forgot what she learned in Lisa the Vegetarian. 2/5

It was the scene on TV where everyone was having a "dramatic" hedge trimming contest to make hedges into famous buildings.

Blog Entries

The random gardening show Homer is watching turns out to be on that channel and he questions it. Also I think it's still Gil unless they changed him to Gus like Doris to Dora?

Also, also, I really liked Homer being shocked/scared at being the good parent. An easy joke they've done before but hey, I liked it.

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

Homer was wondering why a reality competition about topiary (?) trimming was on the military history channel, probably a reference to all those reality shows on the history channel and its sister channels. (At least it's different from all Hitler all the time, I guess?) Edit: Oh, beaten to the punch.

The problem with Homer and Marge is another reason why I wish Marge's plot about her trouble with the neighbors had been revisited. Homer didn't ruin the evening by being Jerkass Homer, he ruined it by being Innocently Clueless Homer.

Blog Entries

Yeah I did think they treated Homer a bit unfairly on that one/felt bad for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    Finally, THEY DID THE JOKE I'VE BEEN WAITING YEARS FOR!!!! -- Lisa's reaction to someone who eats horse meat!
    I don't see why Lisa had to run off like that. Her new friend loves ponies just as much as she does. Just in a different way.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    Also I think it's still Gil unless they changed him to Gus like Doris to Dora?
    No, I'm talking about the one kid who showed up to the party.

Blog Entries

Oh right, right, my bad. Yeah his voice was very odd huh?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    I didn't know boredom was a desirable emotion.
    I don't know what you mean by this... Is it a dig at Brick Like Me? Speaking of the voice-acting this episode, when Marge was crying in Lisa's room and said a line her voice sounded horrific. I usually never have qualms with the voices but that just stuck out to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xaiv View Post
    I don't know what you mean by this... Is it a dig at Brick Like Me?
    Yes, yes it was. Compared to the 'emotion' in BLM, the Lisa/Marge conflict in this episode actual meant something. Why? Because modern Homer (season 10 and up) is too fucking stupid to emote realistic emotions that in any way envoke real empathy.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Huh, I thought that the Homer/Lisa dynamic in BLM was actually pretty organic and true... at least for modern Simpsons but that's just my opinion.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

Some episodes in this season have had some especially mean-spirited jokes and plots and Pay Pal, unfortunately, was no exception.

I kind of get the underlying theme. Socialization is a complicated thing. In yet another instance where Marge tries to project her aspirations and opinions to Lisa ("If I want this, Lisa must want it too!"), Lisa falls trap to Marge's own back-handed plan and the episode ends with them both crying. Sure, Marge wanted Lisa to have some friends, but I have to agree with Lisa on that point; someone as outspoken and intelligent as Lisa will likely find her closest friends when she's older. That, or Lisa's honestly fine having few friends. Some people are just like that. Marge faced a difficult dilemma but, just like Lisa Goes Gaga, sometimes it's just about letting things take their course.

Some highlights include John Oliver's character (a delightful eccentric), Homer's characterization and the boys forgetting it was Mother's Day. This is all interspersed with some unusual scenes about Grampa "paying off" a young Lenny and Carl, a ballroom dancing scene with a few missteps, some goofy bit with Gil and some really weird characterization from Bart. Why is he speaking in such detail about Lisa's death? All in all, it's a pretty mediocre episode from a new writer. Let's see what The Yellow Badge of Cowridge brings to the table.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

My god, that was bad. Probably not the among the worst episodes ever, but maybe beating out Brick Like Me as the worst episode of the season, which is very surprising. Maybe I'm just not in a good mood tonight but I didn't enjoy a single second of this episode. Thoroughly teadious, lots of cringeworthiness, just really bad overall. Reminded me quite a lot of Family Guy, honestly, just with the pointless randomness (that British woman, for example). The pacing was also very poor and the emotion forced. 2/10

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: LukeMM95

After basically swearing off modern Simpsons, I've been sucked back into it over the last couple months due to Cosmos shifting Animation Domination back an hour. I used to just turn Animation Domination on at 7:30 central. But my friends and I have been getting together to watch the block lately, one of whom is Simpsons-obsessed, so I can't exactly say "we're not watching this," turn the TV off for a half hour until Family Guy comes on. So anyway, my friend was right when he said it wasn't a good episode but it wasn't bad. For one, I thought the emotion was pretty legit at the end, in terms of it had this distinct feel the show never did before; Marge tearing up in front of her daughter, Lisa realizing she made her mother cry and bursting into tears too, it's sort of parallel with the ultra depressing scene of Louise Belcher breaking down when she feels her family is abandoning her in Spaghetti Western and Meatballs. I agree Marge's voice got pretty bad and the snot they animated was gross, but otherwise it was probably the best attempt at emotion they've done in years because it felt uniquely done.

I also loved the Mother's Day joke at the end and Homer's "crap!" But otherwise the rest of the episode wasn't that good, and someone made a good point that Marge was a little hard on Homer considering he made a dimwitted mistake more than a jerkassy mistake. 3/5 I guess.

Can I just say I hate the stupid, forced visual humor they do though, and tonight we saw Homer fucking drinking dice and squirting them from his nose (two idiotic "jokes" in the same scene), and also Marge painting the ceiling with her hair was pretty dumb.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

Blog Entries

7/10 - Luca$ 2.0

A lot of this episode feels like Luca$; Lisa gets a friend, Marge and Homer relationship crisis all in one. While it's loads better than Luca$, Pay Pal still isn't perfect. (In retrospect, Pay Pal was a good name for the episode.)

We start off with a Game of Life couch gag. There were several good jokes in it, but the d'oh gag went on for too long. Still, it was light-hearted and fun, so no major complaints there.

Getting into the main episode, we start with the "Evergreen Terrace Block Party (No Admittance to Evergreen Laners)," a plot point that is really unnecessary. I did laugh at the "Catatouille" Itchy & Scratchy short (They made "P.U." the Up parody back in season 22, so why not Ratatouille?), which made use of the French motif used in The Devil Wears Nada and Four Regrettings and a Funeral. The stuff with Itchy controlling Scratchy and making him cook parts of himself was funny, but seeing all of the cats throw up felt like it came straight out of Family Guy. It was sick and really low-brow. Thank God it didn't last too long. Bart makes a good point right around now that "culture's in decline." Back to the main plot; Marge is cooking a cake for the block party, and when it's ruined (thanks to Bart and the I&S short, so nice to see related plot points), she goes out to buy a cake instead. The cake buying was a nice, relatable plot point, but I feel like it's been done before. The joke at "Swapper Jack's" (real clever) with Shauna and Gil wasn't funny to begin with, and it went on for far too long. The "Embarrassed Shopper" magazine with one of those mirror-in-a-mirror never-ending visual gags was good, though.

The Evergreen Terrace Block Party ("Food, Friends, Flanders") was decent enough, but it wasn't particularly funny either. The "Ear Poison" group with Dolph, Jimbo, and Kearney really didn't make sense to me. Seeing Ralph ride in a dryer (paying Nelson for it, no less) was mildly amusing, and the Whig Party joke with Mr. Burns was a decent sight gag (but isn't Burns a Republican?). It's around now that we are introduced to Booth Wilkes John and his wife, so let me get to that.

Throw this "Booth Wilkes John" and his wife onto the ever-growing pile of bland one-timers, because they were really forgettable in every respect. The only good line out of him was "Saturday next, or as you call it, next Saturday." Everything else was rather bland. As for the wife, I have no clue what the writers were trying to do with her, but it was something incredibly odd. It reminds me of that Lyle McCarthy guy from season 21's Homer the Whopper ("I love this guy! I hate this guy...") in that she's just eccentric, and we are supposed to laugh because of that. Two lame one-timers who are only there to drive the plot.

This episode's humor was one of its strong points; I'd go so far as to call it one of the funniest of the season. We have a quick cutaway to Homer drinking Yahtzee dice, which was admittedly funny; Homer blowing it out of his nose was a gross extension of the joke, though. "Ooh, doubles!" made up for that bit. This is immediately followed by Reverend Lovejoy moving church to Monday afternoon for this game night.

For this block party, Ned Flanders cooked "No-Alarm Chili" ("You'll only taste the spoon!") Is this a callback to his five-alarm-chili (really only two-alarm) from El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer?

The scene with Homer and Marge in bed was rather confusing to me. Okay, so is the episode supposed to be about the Homer-Marge dynamic, the Marge-Lisa dynamic, or are the writers just trying to cram all of it into the episode? Unfortunately, I think they were going for the third option. Anyway, Homer says to Marge that they don't need friends, and Lisa pops out of nowhere to agree. Then Bart comes out with a disturbing idea for Marge to run Lisa over with her car while texting her, and Maggie comes out to suck a bit. "Well, they all make good points." So right now, we are trying to juggle Marge getting friends, while she deals with the fact that Lisa has no friends. So much going on, so little success with it.

Great joke with Topiary Wars airing on the Military History Channel; it's true that the History Channel airs nothing but garbage nowadays.

As Marge nags Homer, Homer gives a Sideshow Bob-esque shudder, which was amusing. The nagging went on for quite a while without any jokes. Except for maybe the Duffman "Minutes Till Drunk" app, but that wasn't anything special.

Fourth-wall breaking joke before the two enter the dinner party with Homer raising his eyebrows at the camera. What a pointless breaking of the fourth wall. The dinner party sees Clancy and Sarah Wiggum, Bernice and Julius Hibbert, Agnes and Seymour Skinner, Timothy and Helen Lovejoy, and...that's all I got. The scene at the dinner party was mostly dull, except for several good jokes (Wiggum always wanting to solve a crime, and Homer saying in Russian, "Goodbye in Russian!"). As I expected, Homer ruins the party. This creates a rift between Homer and Marge, which the writers need to carry while they deal with the Marge-Lisa dynamic. Wow, the writers are really digging at this point.

The next act starts with Homer climbing the roof. The joke wasn't much, but the payoff with Homer dropping down on a house under construction was great. Marge now remarks that the two of them will never have friends, which makes Homer happy (?). Another great joke with Marge stopping Homer from saying "Mmm...ostrich eyes" when Marge says "ostracized."

"But not for Lisa!" Oh, so we switch plots now. Because he ruined the dinner party, Homer and Marge can't have friends, but Lisa should. Homer and Marge plot over, Lisa plot begins now. Ten minutes into the episode. Good...?

The Lisa part of the plot was arguably the best part of the episode. The clip with Homer and Marge aborting the party set to the theme from "The Streets of San Francisco" (by Patrick Williams) was decent enough, although not particularly funny. (Except Homer spearing the jump house to pop it; that was good.)

We're totally past the Homer-Marge opening now, and solidly into the Marge-finds-friend-for-Lisa plot. I liked seeing Miss Hoover write what she said on the chalkboard; teachers do that for effect at my school too. The square-dancing scene was funny, with Database fainting when she saw the girls, Lisa dancing with Groundskeeper Willie (careful of the cleats), and the gym teacher singing a square-dancing song while fiddling and throwing dodgeballs at the students.

Enter another bland character who is now Lisa's friend. Maybe you guys could have re-introduced that Isabel girl from The Kid Is All Right? Just sayin'. Go through some scenes where Lisa bonds with this character (most of which were just mediocre), and we have landed at the part where Bart decides to figure out what's up with that girl.

Visual gag with Marge painting the roof with her hair, and we're off to see Bart do some detective work. The plot twist where we find out that Marge is paying this girl to be friends with Lisa was one of the best plot twists of the season. It made a so far otherwise-average episode far more interesting. It also made the title Pay Pal make sense. Good continuity with Marge's disguise being the same one she had at the beginning of the episode when she bought cake, and good joke with Bart's joke picture showing up in the stack of pictures.

I had hoped that the confrontation with Marge and Lisa would be some great emotional payoff to the buildup throughout the second act, but unfortunately, it really fell flat. I'll get to that more later.

Grampa's flashback about how he paid off Lenny and Carl to be Homer's friends, a relationship that lasted to this day, gave me really mixed feelings. It was a good sentiment that what started off as a bribe became a real friendship, but it was disappointing to see how Lenny and Carl got started with Homer. Fortunately, the flashback is paid off with a great joke about how Abe would never pay a dime for Homer's happiness.

The emotion at the end of the episode showed promise, but it was just all so forced - Lisa is angry, Marge cries, Lisa realizes that all she wants is for Marge to be happy, and hug it all out. I can't exactly put my finger on why, but for some reason I didn't feel for the characters during this scene. The only mildly good idea was that Lisa's one wish was for Marge to stop crying. Then we see that Lisa has forgiven Marge because...she did it in good intentions, I guess, and then hug. Great joke about Mother's Day from Bart and Homer to wrap up the episode, though.

But wait - there's more! Oh yeah, we need to get rid of the plot point that is Lisa's new friend. They actually did it in a great way, though, with a great joke about the girl eating horse meat; next thing you know, Lisa's swing is deserted. Standard end credits music, and episode over.

The episode tried to be emotional, but it ended up hilarious. Hmm. The jokes were really good all the way through, something I can't say for most of season 25; however, the plot, which tried to juggle a Marge-Homer relationship issue and a Marge-Lisa relationship issue, was really hit-and-miss. Because of that, the emotion at the end felt very forced. But for being one of season 25's funniest episodes, Pay Pal can have a 7/10 from me. Again, better than Luca$, but by no means the best of the season.
    Last edited by peyrin; 05-11-2014 at 11:14 PM.

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/465568962353188864

Quote Originally Posted by Random Twitter guy
    @AlJean what's your favourite episode of The Simpsons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Jean
    My favorite episode is tonight's!
    Last edited by peyrin; 05-11-2014 at 08:04 PM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

This is what most of the people here consider a "good" episode? I gave it 2/5 - it was "yet still another way for Homer to ruin a party" followed by "yet still another variation on bribing someone to be someone else's friend" and ending with "let's find a way to separate the two so this new character doesn't have to appear ever again except in background scenes".

David H. Steinberg has written for animation before; he wrote Tinkerbell and the Pixie Hollow Games for Disney.

There really is a Simpsons version of The Game of LIFE.

Mr. Burns is a Republican; why would he be signing people up for the Whig Party? (Unless it's another one of those wacky Republican schemes to trick people into signing up for what they think is a "third party alternative"...)

No, charades and Pictionary are not the same thing - not even in England.

Wasn't it supposed to be a couples game night? Why were Ned and Sideshow Mel there?

One of the albums at the store is "These Things I Believe", which is in Homer's collection (at least it was in "Homer the Heretic").

Written by David H. Steinberg
    Directed by Dominic Polcino
    No billboard or chalkboard
    Couch: Everybody is a pawn in The Game of LIFE
    Special Guest Voice: Carl Kasell, John Oliver, Peter Sagal
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly, Maggie Roswell
    Overseas Animation: Akon
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1: Random Mario reference. Life couch gag was funny, though went on way too long. Oh, a Ratatouille reference, how timely Itchy and Scratchy. "What happened to kids watching Captain Kangaroo?" Gil cringy. Church being moved to Monday. Like Flanders No Alarm Chili callback. Wilkes John...screw it, John Oliver's character was just a character plot device voiced by a guest star. Lisa was just at her parent's door to say she will never make friends, why not. Topiary Wars funniest TV joke in a while. Marge's line to Homer was sweet, ruined a bit by 4th wall joke. The fuck was with John Oliver's wife? Conflict by Homer was done believably. Alright act, had a down to earth feel and a few laughs.

Act 2: Homer climbing onto houses was dumb. More obvious showing of Homer used to being in fights with Marge. Gus was annoying, as was the party montage. Laughed at Willie's cleats. And this random girl becomes Lisa's friend in the middle of the episode because cheese. She loves everything Lisa does, is perfect in every way, and has no personality whatsoever. And Bart spies on her for a montage to tell Lisa, make her sad, and carry the plot. Act had a few laughs, but was really forgettable.

Act 3: I like that they were trying to have some emotion for the end here, but I just couldn't feel it. Lisa and Marge's scenes just sort of blurred by and didn't have much time to really get any lasting sadness from Lisa or heart from Marge. I enjoyed Julie and Yeardley's voice acting at least. Oh, and the horse meat joke was easily the biggest laugh from the episode.

Overall, it was an okay episode. Marge's plot to hire a friend for Lisa was interesting at the very least, and there were a few solid laughs from the episode, but it just didn't feel that developed, the setting up scenes for the plot were boring, and it just wasn't that well thought up.

Overall: a 6.8/10, or 3/5 for the poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance.Uppercut View Post
    I kind of get the underlying theme. Socialization is a complicated thing. In yet another instance where Marge tries to project her aspirations and opinions to Lisa ("If I want this, Lisa must want it too!"), Lisa falls trap to Marge's own back-handed plan and the episode ends with them both crying. Sure, Marge wanted Lisa to have some friends, but I have to agree with Lisa on that point; someone as outspoken and intelligent as Lisa will likely find her closest friends when she's older. That, or Lisa's honestly fine having few friends. Some people are just like that. Marge faced a difficult dilemma but, just like Lisa Goes Gaga, sometimes it's just about letting things take their course.
    Even though this scenario has been dabbled with before (Smoke on the Daughter, The Daughter Also Rises, Luca$) not once has it shifted in a direction where Lisa found out about her mother's "projecting" and called her out for it. They've had arguments in the past where they've differed in opinion on Lisa's life goals (most notably in Lisa Simpson, This Isn't Your Life) or her ideology (most often about religion) but never in a way charged with emotion like this one. Lisa's been disappointed in her mother before (All's Fair in Oven War) but she's never had a conflict with Marge quite this personal... in fact, we haven't had a conflict run this deep between Marge and one of her kids since Marge Be Not Proud.

Clearly this episode isn't anywhere close to that level in terms of quality. I hated that they needed to set up the premise with the silly murder mystery party fallout that went nowhere and that they felt the need to overly explain everything. There was nothing subtle about this episode and I would have appreciated more commitment to just letting the story tell itself. I would have liked to have seen the Tomy-Lisa relationship given more development instead of being tacked onto the last 7 1/2 minutes of the episode and mostly recounted via montage. Lisa & Juliet got a half-dozen scenes interacting before things went south.

But I completely bought into the last two scenes (loved seeing everyone clear out of the kitchen as Lisa was about to confront her mother) and I didn't feel the emotion was forced at all. Marge completely broke down and it showed in Julie's delivery. It was SUPPOSED to sound bad. She was overwrought. She values her relationship with her daughter more than almost everyone except Homer. Instead of "having a conversation" with her daughter to find out why she finds it difficult to relate with kids her own age she completely betrays her trust. She got caught and was just overwhelmed in shame and grief over jeopardizing her relationship with Lisa.

I think those scenes were excellent. It was the pacing of the episode that made those scenes come off as emotionally forced because they didn't take the time to fully develop the conflict before it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Wasn't it supposed to be a couples game night? Why were Ned and Sideshow Mel there?
    Sideshow Mel definitely had a woman with him because they drew some woman with the same color hair. And as Van Houten logic shows, couples are couples when they look like brother and sister. As for Ned, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some Edna "censorship" going on.

Hahaha, oh my God. I did feel after this one aired that if it weren't for Brick Like Me, then this was what they would have submitted for Emmy consideration. Not saying it's a great option especially against the many great episodes of American Dad and Bob's Burgers this year, but it just felt like they purposely did Pay Pal the way they did for Emmy reasons.

Thread Information