View Poll Results: How would you rate the episode?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 That's got to be the best racing horse I've ever seen.

2 2.60%
  • 4/5 Well the racing horse wouldn't get a gold prize, but he definitely deserves a silver.

6 7.79%
  • 3/5 Pleasant Watch

21 27.27%
  • 2/5 Typical Modern Simpsons mediocrity

16 20.78%
  • 1/5 The music was the best thing about this....

32 41.56%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate/Review: What To Expect When Bart's Expecting

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate/Review: What To Expect When Bart's Expecting

April 27, 2014:

"Bart can't stand art class. So he makes a voodoo doll of his art teacher. But when his spell makes her pregnant instead, he becomes a savior to Springfield couples trying to conceive. Then, he's kidnapped to help conceive a thoroughbred race horse"

Discuss!
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 04-27-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Umm... so an elementary school class is painting their adult groundskeeper naked? Yeah, that doesn't have unfortunate implications...

Shauna as Chalmers' daughter? Okay...

I did like them not believing Ralph, but then they believed Milhouse.

ACT TWO:

Ya know, I feel that I should be rolling my eyes more at the "town sees Bart as their fertility savior" plot, but it went by so quickly that I didn't really care.

Bar nuts are Bart's dinner? God, I always hate when modern episodes paint the Simpsons as a dysfunctional family.

As a native Philadelphian, I smiled at the Philly Cheesesteak joke. Doesn't give the episode extra point, though.

ACT THREE:

I really liked the musical number. The instruments sounded pretty, Dan's singing voice was nice to listen to, and Dan and Nancy had really nice harmonies at the end.

Ending felt really abrupt.

OVERALL:

I'm surprised. Judging from the premise, this sounded terrible, but it surprisingly was... not bad. More mediocre, if anything. 3/5 (C-)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Shawna is Chalmer's daughter? This is the first I'm hearing of this....how many previous episodes does it contradict? I also feel Bart not knowing about babies must contradict at least a few previous episodes as well. Anywho this was ok. Not really funny, but oddly watchable, right down the middle. 3/5

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What the godawful fuck was this? The first act was all right, although I thought Bart was kind of a jerk. More of a jerk than I think he usually is. I liked the reveal that Shauna is Chalmers' daughter. That can be a good reason for Chalmers to be so prevalent now. But once act two starts, this episode loses it. We get this voodoo thing where he tries to get people pregnant, and now they're trying to have him get a horse pregnant. This is like a warped version of Faith Off. And the horse is gay. Mm-hmm. So they finally get it pregnant (and it was never even confirmed that it was a boy, was it?), and then we get some really weird, nonsensical scene that takes place one year in the future. I still don't know what that was. And when we get back to the episode, there's suddenly a trial about something? It's a Duff commercial? What? I'm sitting through most of this episode with an expression of disbelief on my face. This was just bad. 1/5

loves chimney stacks Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

caught the first act of this after not having watched the show since four regrettings. awful. television shouldn't be this bad. 1/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some funny jokes at the start, but everything just hit the floor like so much horse shit after Fat Tony entered the scene.

1.5/5, rounded to 2 for the funniest joke in a while about Bart's tortured grasshopper.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mira

Blog Entries

1/5 just no

@Patches O'houlihan I don't remember there being that many jokes about Bart's tortured grasshopper even before this episode. The only ones I can think of are the running gag in "Moe Gets a Cellphone" about it, and I believe there was a brief mention in, I want to say "Bart Gets a Bear", but I'm not 100% certain of that.

10. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I'm giving tonight's episode a 3 out of 5.
    NOT because of anything the writers did... but solely due to the work put in by Matthew Nastuk (animation/direction), Nancy Cartwright (voice acting) and Alf Clausen (music composition).

They all did great work tonight. It's a real shame it wasn't spent on an episode that was well-written and deserving of their effort.

Were there any good moments?

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked Homer showing his aged face to Bart.

14. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Irvine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy27 View Post
    @Patches O'houlihan I don't remember there being that many jokes about Bart's tortured grasshopper even before this episode. The only ones I can think of are the running gag in "Moe Gets a Cellphone" about it, and I believe there was a brief mention in, I want to say "Bart Gets a Bear", but I'm not 100% certain of that.
    The grasshopper joke was funny, in general, not because you think I'm saying there's some kind of running Bart/Grasshopper joke.

What's that going over your head? It's not a bird, a plane or Superman. It's the joke!

you're goofy alrite...

Also, a huge meteor went over his head as well. We're all doomed, but look on the bright side - no more modern Simpsons episodes!

look out "the world" Two Guys, a Girl, and a Christmas kat's Avatar
    Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

that's pretty goofy

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Who is that strange and awful man?
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

I'm a mascot of an evil corporation!

Along the lines of The Man Who Grew Too Much I thought this episodes 's humor was very strong up until the Fat Tony plot kicked in. Lots of questions left unanswered : Why did everyone get pregnant? Why didn't it bother Fat Tony that the horse offspring was not from the champion horse?

Overall I'd give tonight's a 3.5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    I'm giving tonight's episode a 3 out of 5.
    NOT because of anything the writers did... but solely due to the work put in by Matthew Nastuk (animation/direction), Nancy Cartwright (voice acting) and Alf Clausen (music composition).

They all did great work tonight. It's a real shame it wasn't spent on an episode that was well-written and deserving of their effort.
    Some Nastuk love, eh? After "Steal this episode", I'll accept that he's doing good work. I just wish this episode didn't sound like a total mess, so I could watch it myself and see.

OR you could not bother watching it, given that you'll likely hate it an' all. On the other hand, that idea's probably too sensible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy27 View Post
    I'm a mascot of an evil corporation!
    Taco Bell?

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Not horrible, but not memorable. I liked the reveal of Shauna being Chalmers' daughter, for a modern era character she's pretty decent. Also, what was with the couch gag? What was it a reference to? C-

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

That was far more boring than I was expecting, given the premise (although I guess that shouldn't be surprising). The episode didn't flow very well, which is my biggest complaint. Also, I'm guessing that that discussion in the Season 25 thread about something being reminiscent of Family Guy was about the horse turning on the CD-player and dancing, because that definitely seemed reminiscent of Family Guy to me. It was pretty disconcerting, although something that lasts for such a short time won't affect my rating. What I hated even more than that was the ending of the third act; I assume that was a reference to Modern Family (which I've never seen). Also, I'm glad this didn't turn out to be the musical episode. The very nature of the outlandish premise makes it somewhat interesting, and I'm sure I would have liked it less if it were a musical. It also had Fat Tony, and while he could have been used much better (and more), this is probably my favourite appearance of his since The Mook, the Chef, the Wife, and Her Homer. Overall, poorly executed but not terrible. 3/10

Banned
    Blog Entries

I missed the episode but I thought Fat Tony was dead?

look out "the world" Two Guys, a Girl, and a Christmas kat's Avatar
    Old As Fuck Retirement Community and Assisted Living Center
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xaiv View Post
    I missed the episode but I thought Fat Tony was dead?
    Fat Tony really is, but for some reason they replaced him with Fit Fat Tony, who got fat immediately and turned into Fat Tony again.

All in one episode.

+ Chalkboard gag: "You can't play April Fool's jokes on April 27th"
    +Couch gag, very unique, best one of the really long ones I've seen.
    FINALLY! Barney makes an appearance!
    +Airline barman
    -Superhero list gag.
    +the Gang as the FF. Actually, all the costumed characters were pretty funny.
    +Bart's piece of crap mug.
    +Willie having to model nude was hilarious.
    +The satire of modern art class was spot on, and would also work for English class.
    Is it just me, or does Shauna sound different?
    -The art teacher's salary joke was rather forced.
    +"I'm not allowed to discuss that with fourth graders. Fifth grade, you get all the dirty details."
    +The Lenny gay joke. Possibly my favorite one of late.
    -The fact that everyone just accepts that Bart has magical powers was stupid.
    +The sarcastic husband was great. "That's great. Really glad we're getting a baby with a face."
    + Bart's voodoo chants were all pretty funny.
    - The Bart strangling scene made no sense.
    -Even the mob takes this seriously? Springfielders aren't supposed to be geniuses, but they've not been THIS gullible.
    +Naked Frisbee Golf line: "I just did that because it was a funny series of words!"
    +The gay jokes were admittedly pretty funny, especially when Homer explains it to Bart. "blablablaSmithersblablablaMr. LargoblablablaDanny Kay. What? Everyone knows that."
    +Homer's flashback to his first beer was hilarious.
    +Le Mis parody was great. Though I was expecting more than just one song...
    +The Smart car joke, while a bit too late to be relevant, was great.
    What was the bit at the end with the picture frames? Was it a parody of the show Modern Family?
    -The duff commercial. It was funny, but totally random and out of the blue.

Overall a C, or 3/5 on the poll. I thought it was funny, but the actual plot made so little sense that it lost several points,

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

episode was okay but it felt family guyish with dancing horses, a modern family cutaway gag, and another cutaway gag with Duffman it was all weird. That being said the animation was amazing, and even the voice acting didn't seem as bad tonight. A 3/5,
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I noticed the animation has gotten a lot better this season. It had some great looking backgrounds.
    anyways. I thought this was just terrible, there was only one funny joke and the plot was almost non existent and overall just stupid.

1/5

Also fuck that terribly forced Modern Family gag, I'm sure the show is fine but the joke was just terrible.

Blog Entries

8/10 - The music was the best part, but the rest was good too

I expected more than one song, but the one they provided ("Let Them Play!") was definitely a highlight of the season. I will get to that later.

The opening sequence was pretty good. The couch gag inside Homer's body had plenty of good jokes and references to Homer's lifestyle - Homer's heart was patched up, a callback to Homer's Triple Bypass. Great couch gag (with some great music by Alf Clausen) bumps up my rating a bit.

The first act starts out with some (seemingly) unrelated filler with the beer party, but the filler was generally funny, so I can excuse it. We got to see some of Barney, and hear Alf Clausen's "Everyman" theme (Homer the Whopper, season 21) played many times. Plus, toward the end of the episode, the Bart-Homer dynamic comes into play, and this filler actually comes to use. So props for that.

Afterwards, the main plot comes into play, and thankfully, there is no secondary plot. We see a pointless art teacher, who has no character and really doesn't deliver any funny lines. The voodoo thing comes into play right about now. I really have to say, for a plot as absurd as this, it was executed very well. The plot flowed very nicely, and the pacing was spot-on. Bart begins his voodoo cursing, and we get a well-written double meaning with Bart's "tummy ache" being the art teacher becoming pregnant. Around now, we get the revelation that Shauna is Chalmers's daughter. That really ruins some of the characterization of both Chalmers and Shauna, so I really wish they hadn't done that for the sake of a really unfunny joke. Good use of Ralph, to illustrate just how crazy this episode is; his accusation that "Bart Simpson got a teacher pregnant!" is believed by no one, because come on, that really does sound like something Ralph would say. Milhouse saying the same thing and everyone believing him wasn't a good follow-up, though. The "Haw-haw" insurance was a decent play on Nelson's heavily overused joke. It was good to see Bart's curses not being the same every time; so some good rhyming there. Right around now, I'm realizing that the plot is very tightly written, but the jokes aren't really there. Homer strangles Bart, and with the scene at Moe's, we actually bring in the Homer-Bart dynamic into this insane episode. The emotion is really missing, just because this episode's premise is quite stupid, but at least we saw their relationship being explored.

Right around now, Fat Tony kidnaps the two, and forces them to breed horses using the voodoo curse. I liked the plot twist with one of the horses being gay and the other falling for another horse. Homer whispering to Bart, telling him that the horse is gay, was a prolonged joke. I would have liked him just to whisper unintelligible words, and then hearing him utter "Smithers." But then he has to go on and list Mr. Largo and Danny Kay. Would have been a good joke if it weren't prolonged with the other two names. Having the two attracted horses breed (instead of the two that were supposed to breed) could be cited as a "lazy way out" by the writers, but I felt that it was a good characterization moment about both Bart and Homer being lazy and just taking the easy way out in order to leave that place. (Where is this barn exactly? Adding another location to Springfield?) Even though it was filler, I liked Homer's flashback to the first time he drinks beer as a kid (it breaks continuity, but whatever). He drinks it, and the black and white becomes color (nice animation), and Homer exclaims - "This stuff tastes horrible!" As Fat Tony's put it before, "It's funny 'cause it's true." Homer, and many others, only like beer because of the alcohol, not the taste. (Duff Zero, anyone?)

"Let Them Play!" was definitely a highlight of the season, as previously mentioned. Really good music by Alf Clausen, and the lyrics were actually cohesive (and parts of it amusing). It wasn't a surprise, though, considering John Frink wrote the lyrics (as opposed to Tim Long, who is the usual lyrics writer for modern Simpsons; he wrote the lyrics for "Comic Book Guy's Lament" from Married to the Blob). The idea of making the song a plea to make two horses bang made the song funnier than it should have been. Dan Castellaneta's singing was top-notch (he's the best singer out of the six), while Nancy Cartwright and Joe Mantenga's singing voices were rather weak and off-key. They really don't have an excuse, either; I assume Bart and Fat Tony's voices aren't that hard to do, so their singing voices shouldn't be that hard either. Marge, on the other hand, is a more difficult singing voice, so I can kind of excuse Julie Kavner's attempt at giving Marge a singing voice. I liked the ending of the song, where they gave up all pretense and showed everyone that this is just a huge Les Miserables parody. Bart waves a French flag, Homer rides down from the hayloft in costume, there's fog on the ground (very well animated episode, by the way - anyone catch who the animation director was?), and Homer makes a champagne fountain. So great visuals accompanying a top-notch song.

Back to the episode. For once in this season, we actually get a resolution! (episodes without a real resolution: Luca$, Specs and the City, etc.) Fat Tony lets them go because the pregnancy test is positive. Then, a joke about the SmartCar, and we fast-forward one year later. I don't consider the events of Days of Future Future to be canon, so one year later, this is supposedly the real Homer, and not some clone. They say something about the gay horse making the horse family a "Modern Family," and then we get some weird Modern Family gag. There was some great animation, though, with the photo frames zooming out, one after the other. (EDIT: The zoom to Patty and Selma standing in front of the DMV show a First Church-esque sign gag: "Catch Us Smiling, Win $100") The only one I really have to complain about is the one with God and the Devil. That's just weird; everything else were typical Springfield scenes. The pan ends at Maggie (I saw that coming), and the photo frame breaks. Then we get a prolonged gag; the photo frame breaking would have been funny, but it kind of lost some humor when the little versions of Springfielders came out running. Funny seeing Maggie put Homer in her mouth as a pacifier, though. Unfortunate that the music used wasn't an original composition, instead just being a rip of the real Modern Family theme.

Finally, we end the episode with an unrelated fourth act. The joke this time was pretty funny, though; the Duff Seven-Pack commercial was probably the funniest part of the episode. "Great taste has no symmetry!" I get why they had to put captions at the bottom, because it's a commercial, but it really wasn't necessary. Seeing Duffman's seven pack was a funny joke, but it was kind of disturbing. And thankfully, it ties into the episode just a little bit with that horse that sponsors Duff (and gave Homer his first beer) opening the commercial.

And, "Executive Producer: Al Jean," and the episode ends with a great instrumental version of "Let Them Play!"

This is one of my favorite non-Selman episodes of season 25. Many HD-era episodes have tried to take an insane episode premise and make it work; but most have failed. I am happy to say that for an idea as crazy as this one (what with the voodoo and the pregnancy and the horses and the glavin!), the episode worked very well. The pacing was very natural, the plot was very cohesive (with a real resolution this time, and no subplot), but the jokes were awfully weak. I have already said all I need to about the song (excellent). The voodoo stuff is quite unbelievable, but they made it a smaller plot point, so it doesn't dominate the entire episode. Fat Tony's appearance is quite good, and he isn't overused or underused. (No mention to the Fat-Fit Tony fiasco, so good for them). For an episode as crazy as this one, I have to give major points for actually including some grounding in this episode - the Homer/Bart relationship plays a role in this episode, albeit a small one. So insane episode premise, but great execution overall.

8/10 - 4/5 for the poll (although I was tempted to vote 5/5)

EDIT: Not a bad way to hit 3,000 posts.
    Last edited by peyrin; 05-20-2014 at 08:12 PM.

Thread Information