27 25.71%
  • 1/5 just another bland clone

34 32.38%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: R&R "Days of Future Future"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R "Days of Future Future"

In 2044 (30 years from 2014), Jenda is dating a crab-like alien creature and she is still not getting along with Bart. Bart is trying to get over his divorce and he does it in a bit of a Total Recall-type way. Homer has a new clone for every time he dies. Meanwhile, Lisa marries a Zombie version of Milhouse and Bart is dealing with custody issues with his ex-wife, Jenda.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

EDIT: After a rewatch I'm changing my grade to 2/5. I don't know what I was thinking before
    Last edited by BrokenBox; 04-14-2014 at 12:10 AM.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

My GOD, this act DRAAAAAGED.

The set-up was bad from the start (come on - cloning technology being THAT good in the present day?), the transition to the future felt VERY clunky, and there was nary a laugh to be had.

I was skeptical whether HOFP could have a good sequel, but come ON, this is just baaaaaaaaaaaad.

ACT TWO:

So, Bart has surgery to get over his divorce, and then sleeps with nameless and characterless women. Blech. And that Miss Hoover joke was just disgusting.

The Homer subplot is just... feels like nothing.

ACT THREE:

I noticed that Bart's kids STILL have no names. If they named them here, that would have at least been something redeeming.

I did have the first genuine laugh with Bart saying he used to think Homer was a talking gorilla.

So... all this nonsense was just a dream? Way to rip off Futurama's Obsoletely Fabulous. I wish i were watching that instead.

OVERALL:

This just felt like a bad Futurama ripoff. Hell, even at its worst, Futurama was still 100x better than this piece of shit. I haven't decided if this is worse than Bart to the Future, but at present, it's the second worst future episode. 2/5 (D)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Nowhere near as sentimental as HOFP and the setup to get us to the future was weak, but overall I enjoyed it. I'll have to watch it again tomorrow before I write up more thoughts but I'll give it a 4/5 for a future episode - I liked it far more than Bart to the Future and Future-Drama.
    UP AND ATOM!

what was the set-up?

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Not bad at all, I'm glad they gave Jenda a bigger role and the zombie Milhouse thing was hilarious. I'd go as far to say it's better than Future-Drama A-

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Parker View Post
    Not bad at all, I'm glad they gave Jenda a bigger role and the zombie Milhouse thing was hilarious. I'd go as far to say it's better than Future-Drama A-
    Eh, only slightly better than Future-Drama and that's not saying very mucy. This whole thing just wandered on for too long with little to care about and I can't believe it took this long to make a Hoover joke.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

yeah this was really all over the place. the only big laugh I got was when jenda says she's back with the alien dude and he shows up from the side of the screen so casually. The way he was so laid back about the situation was just great.

absolutely no sense of grounding though. I mean I was going into this very leniently but I just couldn't grasp the universe at all. I understand they're having fun with all the future and screw the audience stuff, but it gets really tiring when they care more about that than the story or the characters.

Blog Entries

They took some of the things from 'Holidays of future past', and ran them into the ground. Not much more to say.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This was just zany for the sake of being zany and, despite all of the nonsense, the laughs were few and far between.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say this was better than Future-Drama or Bart to the Future because at least those episodes had stories they were trying to tell and this felt like three terribly-written Homer-Marge marriage crisis storylines duct taped together with a bunch of unfunny future jokes serving as window dressing. All it did was make me want to go back and watch Holidays of Future Passed again to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Lisa is a necrophiliac? Who gave the green light to that idea?
    Last edited by Brad Lascelle; 04-13-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Took me this long to find out that Jenda is a recurring character.

These future episodes used to have a curious charm to them, but they're no longer that impressive.

Best couch gag in quite some time!
    I'm trying to be a loving father, you unwanted moron.

Okay, I really enjoyed this episode mostly because I have no idea what the hell it was. But it had some solid laughs! 4/5

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I feel like I just watched an episode of Futurama with Simpsons characters replacing the actual cast. That, or an animated piece of speculative fiction. It feels so far from what I'd come to know and appreciate about the show that I was unsure of what I was watching. I was confused, then bored, then elated when it was over. The whole episode is taking a bit to wrap my head around.

Homer's been lacerated, on fire, electrocuted, maimed, cut, bitten by animals, choked, hit by cars and has taken numerous blows to the head, all throughout these years. A nasty fall down the stairs was what it took to kill the man. There we go: Homer Simpson dies, rather unceremoniously, within the first few minutes of the episode. Where can the episode possibly go from there? Well, if it's from the writer who clearly misses Futurama, it can become a send-up of sci-fi flicks both classic and modern. If you already break the mold, why not throw the mold against the wall and stomp on it?

At Homer's funeral, Professor Frink reveals that he's already cloned Homer, numerous times. If you make a clone, wouldn't the new being start back at infancy? How does Homer have all of these clones but the rest of the characters are relegated to aging naturally? Oh well. After a multitude of clones dies, sometimes in drove (it reminded me a lot of THOHXIII, the clone segment), Homer's consciousness is ported over to a flash drive. That's a genuinely interesting concept (the basis of an upcoming summer blockbuster, too, the one with Johnny Depp), and it led to some good gags for what it's worth. Then the episode doesn't seem to know what to do with itself.

There are send-ups of Total Recall and Jurassic Park, and there are several unusual jokes about zombies thrown in there for good measure. I found none of the subplots especially interesting; Lisa and Milhouse's zombie romance was kooky but a bit too disjointed, Marge's coming to term with Homer's deaths felt odd, and Bart goes through a loop of a relationship crisis. I find it difficult to care about Jenda, seeing as the character hasn't developed much more than being a female version of Bart who matured much more quickly than he did (and yet still married and started a family with him), so I can't very well root for the relationship.

There were editing and pacing errors abound; Bart mentions that he has to stay home to take care of the children, and then we see him at work helping with the dinosaur show. Google makes sentient self-driving cars, one of which has trapped Grampa inside, but Grampa looks current instead of the old version we see at the funeral. Some odd editing makes things even more disjointed than they should be. And then there's the ending, about which the less is said the better.

Maybe, if the episode has explored one of the many, many sci-fi concepts brought into the Simpsons universe (Homer on a flash drive, cloning, the Total Recall-esque memory wipeout), with one of the plots (Bart and Jenda, Homer and Marge) this episode could have maintained some semblance of footing instead of drifting off into space. As it is, this sequel episode to Days of Future Past is an extremely odd, very difficult-to-swallow half-hour of entertainment.

Blog Entries

I only watched saw the last few minutes but what I saw was pretty unimpressive. Liked Bart's line about thinking Homer was a gorilla until he was 8. and Jenda going back to the alien dude. I'll give a proper review tomorrow after I've seen the entire thing

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This made Holidays if Future Passed look like a masterpiece. Hell, it made me wish I was watching Bart to the Future. It's going to take me at least another viewing to realize exactly how big a disaster this episode was, but I can conclude for now that it was a disaster (not nearly as bad as many other episodes, though. Such as last week's episode). On the other hand, it kept my attention, for the most part. An opportunity for an interesting episode was wasted by the writers' apparent love of crazy nonsense and disdain for realistic interaction. The only reason I'm giving it such a high rating is because it at least felt like it had some energy, even if it was the kind of energy that might be possessed by someone with schizophrenia. 3/10

Pretty much only enjoyed the characters' confusion over whether Homer eating Marge was romantic, the bug creatures casual "hey Bart" attitude, and the image of Homer being a scary-ass Terminator who insists on winning back Marge. I'm hung up over how this episode is very inconsistent with Homer growing old with the kids and grand kids in Holidays of Future Passed, and I am not ready to believe the Homers in HOFP were all clones that managed to age in that episode but not this one for whatever reason. Oh and it bothers me to believe Homer dies now in the year 2014 when Bart's 10 and Lisa's 8 because that's very depressing. This wasn't a fake reality or anything? So this is how the Simpsons' future is really going to be? HOFP had heart; this was just heartless sci-fi and basically confusing. I agree that it was basically a Futurama episode, but all the devices that would have worked well on that series just sort of failed here. 2/5
    Last edited by Train on the Water; 04-13-2014 at 08:46 PM.

What do you think they put in the Bug Juice?
    Bugs?
    No they don't. Come on...shut up.

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

5/5 Loved it. the ms hoover joke, skinner with his dead mom, maggie & the unibrow baby on a date, zombie milhouse and the alien creature jenda was dating were the best aspects. Kinda wish there was some of zia and maggie and her kid in the episode though.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    5/5 Loved it. the ms hoover joke, skinner with his dead mom, maggie & the unibrow baby on a date, zombie milhouse and the alien creature jenda was dating were the best aspects. Kinda wish there was some of zia and maggie and her kid in the episode though.
    Come to think of it, where was Zia? Since this episode's a sequel to HOFP I'm guessing she moved out or something. Maggie not being at the Homer clone's funeral in the future could be due to her being a musician

Banned

Undoubtedly the worst future episode in the history of The Simpsons, and it has some competition on that front.

The entire premise of Homer having clones every time he dies, as a set up to the future was frankly awful. The beginning of the episode was about as cringeworthy a start, in terms of dialogue and "jokes", as I've seen recently. The remainder of the episode only got better marginally, and due to fitting in as many Simpsons characters into as many scenes as possible. Oh and please can Ralph Wiggum be permanently killed? What was once a hilarious yet affable character, that was used sparingly in the classic era and in as equally a dimwitted way, has now become an 'HAHA he's says something random coz he's Ralph!' filler whenever the writers can't think of anything more creative to use. But I digress...

As someone above said, the most engaging subplot was about adult Bart and his problems with his ex wife Jenda. But nothing actually happened of note. Jenda's character was never previously fleshed out in any meaningful way, so surely they could have used the time to develop her connection/lack of connection with Bart. But nah it's just a case of Bart seeing Jenda with an alien boyfriend, Bart comforts her when she's no longer with alien boyfriend, they have a petty tiff about not paying attention and... that's it. Finito. Zombie Millhouse, well at least they've finally admitted one of the Simpsons characters is a zombie. Only the other 300 to go Senor Jean. What else? Something about Marge being drunk and Moe using cards and calling her Midge.

The End.

2/5, 3/10, D-

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Parker View Post
    Come to think of it, where was Zia? Since this episode's a sequel to HOFP I'm guessing she moved out or something. Maggie not being at the Homer clone's funeral in the future could be due to her being a musician
    This is a sequel to Future-Drama, isn't it?

5/5, loved it. Second favorite of the season, after The War of Art.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMcGann View Post
    This is a sequel to Future-Drama, isn't it?

5/5, loved it. Second favorite of the season, after The War of Art.
    It's a sequel to both. Bart was separated from Jenda in HOFP and that's where Bart's kids come from, as well as the Lofts of Springfield Elementary

Ah, thanks. I haven't seen either yet, actually.

Blog Entries

4/10

Matt Selman broke a record of great episodes with the awful Husbands and Knives, and now J. Stewart Burns is following suit with Days of Future Future. On the surface it seems like an okay episode (hell, I gave it a 7.5/10 on first watch), but the more I look into it, the crappier and crappier it gets.

Skipping straight to the couch gag was a good move, because the episode covered a lot of ground. Thankfully, none of it felt rushed, and the overall pacing of the episode is spot-on. I really liked the bubble-wrap couch gag, because it's something that would fit into the classic Simpson couch gags. It's short, simple, and fun. Now onto the actual episode.

The episode covers three plots: Bart gets over Jenda, Lisa gets a better Milhouse, and Homer is cloned. Along the way, we get lots of jabs at the future. I'm going to start with the Homer plot. The first act, which showed all of Homer's clones, was very good. Despite resorting to a montage, the idea of Homer's stupidity causing him to be cloned was just an overall fun idea. My only problem with this opening, and it's a major one, is that with the lack of a framing device (which I assume was done for pacing reasons), this is now the canon Simpsons future. That's something I don't want to think about; in fact, wipe this episode from existence and reinstate HOFP as the future standard for the Simpson family, please. Like I guessed earlier, it did a great job providing the comedic relief, since the other two plots felt much more serious. I liked Homer becoming a screen saver, and his playing with the kids was a nice, heartwarming vignette. When Homer becomes a robot, that's when things start to get a little weird. Scratch that, very weird. Thanks to Bart's cringe-worthy "It was all a dream" plot twist, this plot's ending is totally botched. Marge joining Homer in the computer world was nice...until you realize that they're not actually in the computer world, and Homer is a robot now. Two endings, and I have no damned clue which one to believe. It was all right up until the ending, so this plot gets a 5/10 from me.

The Jenda plot was decent. Jenda is one of the better minor characters on the show, and I think she was used nicely here. My biggest complaint here (hell, my biggest complaint in the entire episode) is the ending where it all becomes a dream. I feel that Bart walking into the feel better clinic was completely unnecessary, and the episode would have been much stronger (7/10) had the dream not happened. Bart's reconciling and subsequent breaking up with Jenda was executed pretty well, and I think it was sweet that Bart accepted that he could not be with Jenda, rather than be a brat about it. The jab at the self-driving car in this plot was probably one of the funniest jokes of the episode, but for some reason Grampa was his usual age in that scene (as opposed to a different character design at Homer's funeral). Bart and Nelson working at Cretaceous Park was pretty good, and it was used nicely. Not underused, but not overused either. This plot was arguably the best of the episode. 6.5/10

The plot with Lisa and Milhouse would have, again, been far better if it weren't for the dream. I like that Lisa needs to make a choice between making herself happy and making Milhouse happy. She ultimately has no choice when it turns out it was all a dream, but again, I wish that didn't happen, and that her situation was real. Lisa showed some great characterization, showing her immature side when she prefers to have a better husband, even though he's a zombie. Again, the pacing is spot-on, with this plot advancing very smoothly. The only problem with this plot is the ending, where Milhouse ends up being a zombie forever, to Lisa's pleasure. This leaves a horrible taste in my mouth knowing that whenever I watch an episode of the show and see Milhouse, I know in the back of my head that his future will be to become a zombie forever. That's a complete betrayal of the Milhouse that took 25 years to build up. Once again, everything is good except the botched ending. 5/10

The plot convergence at Moe's was the best part of the episode. Like in Four Regrettings and a Funeral, I appreciate that the writers connected the plots with a common theme, in this case love. Going into act 3 (after act 1 being mediocre, and act 2 picking up speed), the episode had tons of potential (maybe to even be a second HOFP), but after the scene at Moe's, it all went downhill. I would have loved to see Marge, Lisa, and Bart all having a genuine epiphany in the bar, but instead we get some weaker emotion. For a season 25 episode (a season that hasn't had much emotion), I'm happy with the amount of emotion they had in this episode. It should have been way more, though.

The jokes are okay, but for a future episode, it could have been much funnier. The fact that the episode is set in the future gives the episode potential to be almost Mirkin-era hilarious, but the jokes were a lot scarcer than I had hoped. Unfortunate.

The Mad Men parody was pretty sophisticated. Instead of just doing a straight copy of the source material, they make commentary on it, in this case, stating that the ads are just a bunch of short snippets. Exaggerate it (cut-off catchphrases, random cuts), add the Simpsons touch ("Release the--"), and there's a good parody. Dear Al Jean, please do more like this in the future.

The lack of any frame in this episode is excusable, in my opinion. If they had spent some valuable screen time making a frame for the episode (maybe 2 minutes?), that'd be 2 minutes less for the plots to play out. Having three parallel plots is already very risky (we've seen lots of triple-plot episodes bomb...Husbands and Knives for one), but having three plots and a frame is basically the formula for a bad episode. The pacing was very accurate in this episode, and having a frame might have messed it up. On the other hand, no framing means that the future of The Simpsons is now set; Bart's going to be having sex with Ms. Hoover and a bunch of clowns, Milhouse is set to be a zombie forever, and Homer is now a robot. While it can be argued that this is just a more futuristic version of the dysfunctional family that the present-day Simpsons are, it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth knowing that these are the characters' grim futures. I prefer the happy family portrait that we received at the end of HOFP. In fact, I can live without some of the better parts of this episode; just wipe this episode from existence and let me have my ideal HOFP ending.

As others have said, disappointed by the lack of Zia and Maggie.

Overall, most of the things work nicely for an enjoyable watch. There are some flaws (cough, cough, dream), but I can excuse those to give the episode a 6/10.

EDIT: The more I watch this, the more I hate it. At least try for a plot, writers. "It was all a dream" is just as bad as the plot from Husbands and Knives, and if that's a 2/10, then this should at least be a 4/10.
    Last edited by peyrin; 05-26-2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added stuff I posted later

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well at least it was a bit funnier then the previous Future episode. Still not very good and like the previous one it barley had a real plot.

2.5/5

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - it probably would have been a 2 except for the future setting, but they didn't really go anywhere with it that they hadn't done before. Also, the whole "it was only a dream - well, part of it was, so now we have to remember what happened before Bart had his memory treatment and what happened after" business made the ending confusing, even if the show itself used it as a gag. (And yes, I am aware that Futurama did the same thing with the "Robot X-1" story, but at least there, it was obvious which part ended up being in Bender's imagination.)

The episode was rated TV-14, but the show still doesn't have one of those "Viewer Discretion Advised" tags like pretty much every other show. (Even Golan the Insatiable gets one.)

How did Frink manage to get the cloned Homers to the age of the current Homer? (Yes, they did have the same "problem" in Star Wars Episode 2 - or was it 3?)

Bart has Janey's number on his phone.

Bart has a "Little Black eBook".

Thirty years from now, $1 bills still exist.

Neither Maggie nor Lisa's daughter are mentioned, much less shown, in the future scenes (not counting Maggie looking like Lisa in one of the "interim" shots).

Written by J. Stewart Burns
    Directed by Bob Anderson
    No billboard or blackboard
    Couch: The couch and the floor are covered in bubble wrap
    Special Guest Voice: Amy Poehler
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly, Maggie Roswell
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-14-LV

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Dark Homer

Blog Entries

Also of interest, my dad, who watched this episode with me, called it "the worst episode I have ever seen." That being said, he hasn't seen anything from seasons 16-24, and half of 25, but that's still a pretty strong statement. 1/10 from him, I guess.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Also of interest, my dad, who watched this episode with me, called it "the worst episode I have ever seen." That being said, he hasn't seen anything from seasons 16-24, and half of 25, but that's still a pretty strong statement. 1/10 from him, I guess.
    Haha, my dad did the same thing!

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The opening of the show just had me saying "what the fuck is this?" like 5 times. It was just not right, if they had established in the begining that this was somehow non cannon or in the future I wouldn't have minded but what they did do with all the clones was just the worst way of seggwaying into the future bit.
    They basically stated the beginning was canon and happened in present time.

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Irvine

This episode was all over the place. I liked the couch gag, but what I liked even more was that they had actual expressions of happiness on their faces. The opening shot of the house had some wonderful color to it also. But Bart and Jenda's relationship simply. isn't. compelling. The entire zombie's subplot didn't fit into the future-theme whatsoever. The ending was wholly unsatisfying. I liked the background characters that were paired together in the scene at the bar.

The only bit of genuine emotion I felt was Marge's sadness with Homer's overeating at the beginning.

Thread Information