• 1/5 Vomit-inducing

14 17.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate & Review: "Luca$" (SABF12)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate & Review: "Luca$" (SABF12)

Lisa dates a boy named Lucas Bortner who wants to be a competitive eater. Marge becomes concerned that Lisa is trying to marry a boy that is just like Homer. Bart helps Snake Jailbird break out of jail and starts to receive gifts from him making Milhouse jealous.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Wow, talk about an act that was 99% filler! All the jokes fell flat, the Bart plot was totally useless, and I literally cannot sense ANY chemistry between Lisa and Lucas. Seriously - she doesn't really seem like she likes him, she just seems like she's being polite.

I smiled at the Grinch reference in the beginning.

ACT TWO:

So, I guess the subplot is that Bart is harboring Snake and he's getting free stolen stuff out of it? I guess it's nice to see Snake again, but it feels like filler. This entire subplot could have been written out and more focus could have been used to develop the Lisa/Lucas relationship!

I did like Homer calling the daily jumble "the most infuriating thing in the newspaper."

ACT THREE:

At least there were some more laughs in this act: I-KILL-YA being the best part of this episode.

Ummm... so, that's it? That's NOT an ending!

OVERALL:

A complete mess of an episode, but it didn't infuriate me enough to give a 2/5 (D)
    Last edited by Irvine; 04-06-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually was falling asleep during this one but uhhh I dunno I guess I'll still give it a 2. Just very bland, uninteresting, all that stuff.

Blog Entries

this might've been the best episode all year

1/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Blog Entries

ok that literally went nowhere. snake steals things for bart. lisa hangs out with the episode's namesake who is in the episode for maybe 5 minutes. homer and lisa go on a date. god damn was that disjointed. practically 75% filler.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In a really pathetic way, the best part of the episode was Zack's lame fooding attempts. It was so stupid, it was kind of funny...the rest of the episode, meh.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

A regular modern episode. 2.5/5

Only time I laughed was at the drunk scene.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This had a lot of potential, but it didn't deliver at all. I thought a Lucas/Lisa relationship might've been somewhat interesting, with Homer bonding with Lucas. But it just ended up being another marriage crisis episode, for a reason I'm still not completely sure about. It was really forced, I could tell that. The Snake subplot should've been fleshed out more, as Bart and Snake could be an interesting duo. But they didn't make it very interesting, and we didn't see Lucas again until the very end. There were some pretty good jokes in the episode, and I liked Lucas's design. It's a shame that they couldn't capitalize on the possibilities they had here. 2/5

Blog Entries

The opening with Homer, Lenny, and Carl at Moe's, and eventually the playground, was probably the best part of the episode. The scene where they help Homer make the phone call was funny as well. Then the episode started falling apart as they started concentrating on Marge's concerns for Lisa.

There were lots of awkward gag, the best example being the road runner joke...I don't know what that was. I found the father daughter date kind of sweet until Marge kind of ruined it wearing the sexy dress. There's a short, sort of conclusion with Luca$ although I'm guessing we'll never see him again. So I thought the episode was lacking but at least there were a bunch of good chuckles near the end.

So I'd give it a low 3/5

Better luck next time. Hugh Jazz's Avatar

I would have bought the Bart and Snake subplot more if Snake hadn't had been carrying a gun at the treehouse. I haven't seen an episode with him in a while except for "All Singing, All Dancing" (probably not the best episode to use as a comparison...), but I'm having trouble believing that he wouldn't have threatened Bart at all to keep quiet, even if he had no intention of actually shooting him.

I don't know. Maybe my memory of his character is just rusty. Anyway, had some cute scenes with Homer and Lisa, and I got a good laugh at "IKillYa."
    Last edited by Hugh Jazz; 04-06-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Excellent episode. 5/5 by Modern Simpsons standards. I really, really enjoyed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I had trouble watching Luca$ - or, excuse me, Luca-dollar. Because of some illogical storytelling, I think the episode felt a bit disjointed.

The altered intro was pretty neat, although I don't much care for Minecraft. I couldn't tell, but it didn't look like it was done with the actual Minecraft game engine. Nice touches, though.

I like the main plot much more than the subplot. Marge is dealing with some complex feelings about her assessment of Homer as a partner - and she wants the best for her daughter too. She's faced these conflicts many, many times, and there's enough of an interesting spin on things (spurred on with some great, classic insults from Patty and Selma) to make the idea new enough. However, modern Marge just isn't written well enough to come to any decent, logical conclusions on much of anything. Homer and Lisa come out slightly better; we see some interesting behavior in Homer from the start of the episode to the end, and Lisa is pretty good here too. She's not so much on her soapbox as she is intrigued by young Lucas and I don't think her interest in him was romantic at all. If anything, Marge and her sisters blew it a bit out of proportion. Homer went through a lot of Marge's hoops, and it could have led to a nice few moments between Homer and Lisa - not as rivals on a political or social spectrum, not as moral opposites, but just as father and daughter - had the abrupt ending and Marge's sudden appearance at the end not botched the whole thing.

Wiggum and Milhouse drag an unusual B-plot through the muck as Bart becomes the somewhat reluctant recipient of Snake's gifts. Wiggum just runs right into the Simpsons' backyard and clambers up the treehouse ladder. If that weren't enough, shouldn't Wiggum have been able to see Snake from the foot of the ladder? If we ignore those errors, or the fact that no one else seemed to notice Snake's coming and going from the treehouse (I guess the rest of the family was pretty busy the whole ep), Bart goes on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster while the police attempt to build a Swedish electric chair from IKILLYA. Milhouse plays the jealous card here as he tries to get to the bottom of the whole scheme; young van Houten can just get on my nerves sometimes, I guess.

The saving grace of the episode was the performance of Zach G. as Lucas. I find him to be a rather grating celebrity in The Hangover and Between the Ferns - I mean, I know that's his shtick - but his enthusiastic and exuberant line delivery made me really root for the character. Tip of the hat to him. The episode direction was interesting too; what stood out to me was the shot of Kirk as he smoked on the balcony of his hotel room during Milhouse's morose monologue about his father. It seems rare to me that we'll see a character while another is off-screen describing him in the subtle, emotive way that was employed here. Not quite a flashback, not quite a cutaway. Nice touch.

Luca$ as an episode is an odd duck, but there have been much worse.

wow a funny cletus joke for once. I actually enjoyed this episode for the most part. didn't care for the ending(s), there was no real resolution the plots just kind of got dropped.

Blog Entries

I actually found this to be enjoyable despite being fairly fast-paced and disjointed. Aside from the cringeworthy as all fuck "Simcraft" intro, Cletus' incest line and the fact that Luca$ himself was nothing more than a prop to set a different story in motion, there isn't much else to complain about. I enjoyed Homer acting like a competent gentleman while at the same time making Marge feel like a bitch, Luca$ was an inoffensively cute, albeit useless, character, the way the episode itself started off with Homer explaining how he got stuck in the playground was pretty funny and Bart's story with Snake was mildly amusing, though a tad baffling as I was expecting Bart to continuously help Snake out with stuff and get rewarded each time, but Snake lavishing him with stuff on the basis of a single good deed is just... well, it didn't really make much sense. 3.5/5
    How to remaster

17. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Only good thing about this episode was Homer making Marge look like the bitch she is. 1/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

I wish they'd put more effort into the episode as opposed to a couch gag that'll be dated before too long. 2/5

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Parker View Post
    I wish they'd put more effort into the episode as opposed to a couch gag that'll be dated before too long. 2/5
    it's already dated...and I thought South Park's knock at Minecraft was late and that was months ago. Once again Simpsons trying to remain "hip" and "fresh"

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

So, Lisa develops a crush on some fat kid for some reason (another really bland, unmemorable one time character (and I wasn't fond of Zach Galifinakis's voice acting, either)), and then this causes a marriage crisis between Marge and Homer that is somehow resolved by Marge wearing a dress. Well, I'll give it credit for Homer being mad at Marge this time, but the concept of Marge wanting Lisa to do better than someone like Homer could have been done so much better. As it was, the whole thing was ridiculously unengaging, I didn't believe anything, and a lot of it made no sense. It also seemed like everyone was out of character the whole time. I'm reminded of how Marge talked to Lisa about Homer in Lisa's Substitute... there was no hint of her resenting him or thinking Lisa could do better (yes, I realize it is pointless to expect consistent characterization, but Marge's characterization here seemed particularly striking). And given what Marge thought about Homer earlier, it is really hard to buy her wanting to fix things with him later. Furthermore, a lot of Homer, Lenny, and Carl's behaviour reminded me of something you might see on Family Guy (with Peter or other characters acting not like middle aged men but like teenaged girls or children, or something). And Lisa might have been the worst; I just can't figure out why Lisa would pay any attention to Lucas. And then there were all the terrible gags. The subplot was inconsequential. Overall, this was a pretty bad episode. Probably not as bad as Four Regrettings and a Funeral, but easily the second worst of the season so far after that. 2/10

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacalRoboKiller View Post
    it's already dated...and I thought South Park's knock at Minecraft was late and that was months ago. Once again Simpsons trying to remain "hip" and "fresh"
    I've never played it or followed it, but thanks for letting me know. I'm still sick to my stomach from that damn Harlem Shake couch gag from last season

Blog Entries

Hmm. This one is...very odd. Let me start with the main plot with Lucas: It was disjointed. All the way up to the point where Homer and Marge are talking about Lisa's relationship, the episode is great and shows to have a lot of potential. However, that is where it all falters. I was expecting a great story with Lisa dating a Homer-like person, and Homer pretend-dating Lisa to show her that it's a mistake. Lucas continues his eating, and Lisa part ways because she knows better. That would be a 10/10 story right there, but unfortunately that's not at all what they do. Instead of having the plot focus on Lucas and Lisa's relationship, the writers take a turn hard left and turn the episode into a marriage crisis episode. The basis of the crisis is no good, and neither is the reconciliation (liked the reference to Project Runway, though). Parts of it hit their mark, but too much of the main plot misses for me.

Like the main plot, the secondary plot has the same problem, that it goes in with tons of potential and then just loses steam at the end. Bart forms a relationship with Snake, and all goes well until Snake steals one of Milhouse's things. (I would have preferred Bart being guilty about his ill-gotten things, but I can dream) Everything before Milhouse ratting Snake out to the police is great. After that, though, it falters because...nothing happens. Electric chair in Swedish, fake metal gun, no resolution, "Executive Producer: Al Jean." Actually, I think they could very well have done an entire episode with this. I would have loved to see the Snake-Bart dynamic, which is underused here, and the plot twists that could occur with Snake stealing things for Bart. However, time constraints and attempts to focus on the main plot throw the B-plot off track and fail to give it a nice resolution. Unfortunate.

The only thing I can give the episode credit for are its strong laughs. Although a lot of it is filler, there were lots of good jokes throughout. The Minecraft opening was, thankfully, short and to the point ("Parodies are easy!"), although I would have liked to see the David Letterman couch gag instead. The stuff at the beginning with a drunk Homer, Lenny, and Carl at the playground was funny, as was "I-kill-ya" (Ikea parody) and Lucas's pathetic attempt at being a competitive eater.

Throw Lucas on the pile of forgettable one-time characters, because that's what he is. I was hoping for him to turn out to be very similar to Homer, to allow what would have been a great plot to advance, but instead we get a weak character who isn't even that good of a competitive eater. With maybe 3 minutes of screen time, Lucas was very underused and was another shallow one-time character.

Finally, a shout-out to Alf Clausen for a very entertaining whistling version of the end credits.

The episode starts with lots of potential, and by the end of the first act, I'm prepared to give the episode an 8 or 9/10. However, everything falters in the second and third acts, and the fourth act is a crash-and-burn for the B-plot. It's really unfortunate that the whole thing was so disjointed, because the first act gave me high hopes. Sorry Luca$, you are merely consumable today. 5/10

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Actually, Takeru Kobayashi's "world record" 69 hot dogs is not recognized by the International Federation of Competitive Eating as it was not at one of its sanctioned events.

Snake has a name: Albert Knickerbocker Aloysius Snake.

Homer didn't order anything for Lisa for dinner.

"Promotional Consideration Sponsored by Project Runway All Stars" - Marge appears to be wearing a dress from Season 3:

Written by Carolyn Omine
    Directed by Chris Clements
    Billboard: Krusty / Now Doing Funerals
    Blackboard: none
    Couch: everyone is in Minecraft as they sit on the couch; a green, four-legged Moe enters and explodes
    Special Guest Voice: Zach Galifianakis
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV
    Last edited by That Don Guy; 04-07-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Found out how to post pictures

25. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Blog Entries

Snake's "name" pissed me off. Wasn't he called Chester Turley?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    A.K.A. Snake...it's a joke, get it!?

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Blog Entries

I liked the beginning. The way it went from one character explaining their predicament to the next until it lead to Snake's story was really cool and it made it really feel like the episode was going to have a really fun structure (a new episode that has a solid structure in the first place), but then it felt like they kind of just gave up on it once they cut away to Lisa at school.

But Lisa's plot was actually very interesting. I liked how they basically created a character that could mirror young Homer. Lucas was bumbling yet ambitious, and it wasn't that Lisa necessarily had a crush on him, but felt drawn to him due to such an odd energy for a character of his design (who felt less generic compared to most new kid characters that get introduced). Marge realizing the similarities between Lucas and Homer was GOOD STUFF and I'm glad they took advantage of exploring this with Marge being concerned for Lisa's future. I know that sounds tired, but there was something about it that felt kind of original. Then when Homer puts together the conflict of Marge's anxieties, it creates another good dynamic to work with. It is always good to see him have some self-awareness. A lot of these ideas here were actually really fresh. I mean it is a season 25 episode and it was disjointed, especially how the execution got really sloppy towards the end, but not exactly half-bad.

The endings to these plots were rushed though. I liked the Homer/Lisa going on a date satire at first but then it got too dragged out and unrealistic. Snake stealing things for Bart was interesting because Bart seemed to justify it and had to learn the consequences of that, but the ending with Snake escaping jail was really stupid. And of course it was littered with your usual sprinkle of bleh moments, but overall, not terrible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    A guy like snake must have changed his name more than once by now.

31. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mira, peyrin

2/5, This wasn't much of a Simpsons episode, both stories were boring and a lot of it felt like it's been done before, even the jokes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    A guy like snake must have changed his name more than once by now.
    His original name was Robbin Banks.

Pretty underwhelming episode. Lisa forms a relationship with some odd Martin & Ralph hybrid that never really goes anywhere.
    The subplot had the most potential but was to rushed and didn't even get a proper conclusion.

Shame they haven't stopped with the brandname puns. If you can call "Playstadium 4" a pun.

maybe a little rustic CousinMerl's Avatar

I found this episode quite bland and unfunny. The main plot itself which is about Lisa showing interest in the new kid Luca$ who's wants to be a competitive eater and decides to help him & Marge getting worried that Lisa will end up with the Homer-like boy and wants to show her that she's making a mistake, wasn't that bad of a story in itself and the basis was pretty interesting, but it wasn't pulled off very well at all; it was essentially two plots in one (Lisa & Luca$ and yet another Homer/Marge marriage crisis), was really disjointed and sporadic especially with the subplot inbetween and the crisis storyline really took over rather clumsily; how it ended with Marge suddenly showing up during Homer and Lisa's dinner date, which she made Homer arrange, while wearing a fancy dress and having changed her mind felt odd and came out of nowhere. The subplot, with Bart helping Snake Jailbird, who starts showering him with gifts and later gets jailed due to Milhouse ratting him out, wasn't bad either and felt like less of a mess-up, but it was nothing to shout about.

Overall, it had some potential but the ball was dropped; it had three stories to tell (two baked into one) and the whole intro up to Lisa meeting Luca$ with Homer and friends on the playground and Skinner chasing Bart felt filler-ish could have been shortened (several minutes that could have been spent on the main story got quickly eaten up by this overlong lead-in), it was ill-paced, pretty much all of the jokes fell flat and Luca$ seemed like a good one time character, but he was underdeveloped, turned into a plot tool and was pretty much forgotten about once the marriage crisis thing took over (another wasted new character); furthermore, there's usually a problem with guest star-voiced kid characters voiced by adults really sounding like adults, but this one (voiced by Zach Galifianakis) wasn't that bad. Summed up; the episode just didn't work. I admit that I didn't expect much, but this one was pretty dull throughout and below average.

2/5.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 04-07-2014 at 07:21 AM.

Thread Information