26 32.91%
  • 2/5 Yellow card

11 13.92%
  • 1/5 Red card

10 12.66%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate & Review: "You Don't Have to Live Like a Referee" (SABF11)

Homer becomes a referee for the World Cup and finds himself tested by bribers when the Simpsons travel to Brazil.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh, it was serviceable, but it was just boring as heck.

3/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Mira

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Pretty boring. The only real laugh came from Homer being dissapointed that the rep was for soccer rather than American football.

Wow, Lisa makes a speech about her dad that goes viral, and now he's chosen to referee the fucking WORLD CUP? I'm getting serious Boy Meets Curl flashbacks from this one...

ACT TWO:

I knew it - they were going to reference this previous Brazil controversy!

They also reused the "human foosball" joke from Marge Gamer.

I liked the "cell phone" joke with the glowing briefcase.

The act as a whole felt all over the place, and Homer's devistation did not feel the least bit natural.

ACT THREE:

This... I have no words. I was SO bored by this episode!

OVERALL:

A boring piece of shit overall. A few decent jokes here and there, but not enough to save this from a 1/5 (F). Worst episode of the season so far.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

Meh episode 2/5

Will post review later

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, this thread wasn't made 12 hours ago.

Blog Entries

In before the "no public poll" complaints.

It wasn't that bad. I thought there was absolutely no reason for Bart to tell Homer Lisa's secret other than to move the plot. The geography nut in me loved the Luxembourg joke. It was just an inoffensive outing that I don't have much to say about. 3/5

Some nice jokes in this one, and a fun Homer story (at least most of the time, tho there were some not-too-good moments now and then), but I'm pretty sure I've seen a similar ending like this in a handful more Simpsons episodes. 3.5/5 in the end (voted 3/5), though it could've been more.

Simple fun episode but somewhere after the gangster plot kicked in there were few good gags.
    I was expecting a disaster but I thought the episode was alright at least for today's standards.

3/5

Junior Camper

I liked this one a lot. I thought the second act was a little awkward, but overall it had a nice coherent flow.

I got a few good laughs and one big one... Homer singing and then the lawnmower gag with Flanders really hit with me.

Anyway, 4 out of 5

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    Wow, this thread wasn't made 12 hours ago.
    It was but I only noticed like an hour before airtime so because these threads aren't supposed to be made that early anymore I deleted it.

Anyway I think it might be partly due to low expectations but I think this one was kinda enjoyable to an extent. 3.5 rounded down.

Junior Camper

I was surprised by the coherent plot and the fact that there was actually (some) set up and payoff. Jokes were hit or miss. Probably the best of the season? 3/5. (By season 25 standards. )

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

I can't believe they did a Jared Fogle joke when he's been out of the limelight for years...actually I can. Other than a few callbacks this was meh and had a been there, done that feeling. C-

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

Did they say why the Simpsons were allowed back in Brazil? It couldn't of been so Homer could referee.

Blog Entries

jared fogle and man of steel, so topical, 5/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

It was slightly better than I expected, but to be honest, it's really hard to get over the fact that this episode has basically been done before. Homer's been a soccer ref and the family has been to Brazil. Both of those episodes were even referenced and I wouldn't say either was worthy of a sequel. For repeating old plots and doing nothing substantially new or funny with them makes this an automatically pointless episode, and just like "The Winter of His Content", just serves as proof for people who think the show should have ended long ago.
    Signature.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Idiot View Post
    jared fogle and man of steel, so topical, 5/5
    To be fair, it was a pirated DVD copy and meant to be crappy, I thought it worked well with the "it's the least fun Superman has ever been" joke. It's not like they were making a Man of Steel parody episode.

Also, Jared was around so consistently (and still does commercials today) that I think he's enough of a public figure to joke about whenever. He's like making fun of Regis or something.

Blog Entries

I found this serviceable. The best thing about not reading the season info threads in these last few years is that you actually get nice surprises like this. I was waiting for that guy to say "stupid lady" and then he did.

The best laugh for me though was chalmers' "you know, I have 7 other principals and I never have to yell their names. not even once."

I really liked lisa's presentation because it is nice for her to acknowledge the good things homer has done for her on the spot, instead of them always treating homer like an unadmirable charicature. It was actually really sweet and unexpected. I just wish that the conflict was that homer wasn't her first choice and she would just have to explain that it wasn't hard to put together because it is true. Instead she says she would hope its how she could look up to him or something like that which kind of spoiled it.

otherwise it was enjoyable somewhat for season 25.

Blog Entries

This was a pretty enjoyable and dare I say, cute, episode. Was it perfect? No. The plot ended on a pretty dumb note, which is a shame as aside from that, I had no problems with it whatsoever. I got a few laughs here and there, characterisation was decent and for an episode that used The World Cup as it's main selling point, I didn't feel at all alienated by it. 4/5

Also, for those who are interested in reading them, here's the newspaper articles from early on in the episode.

How to remaster

20. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Smear-Gel

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

eh a 3 /5. This episode was so meh that you cwn't really say anything about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Banned
    Blog Entries

good episode, i liked the running of the bulls opening, the simpsons go back to Brazil but this time homer becomes a referee for the world soccer cup only to be bribed to rig the game but Lisa's influence helped homer do the right thing at the end, to conclude this episode had a few faults not like the first time they went there but oh well, the only thing i liked about this episode was the character call backs thorough out but other than that it was okay i guess could of been better.

الذهاب المغيرين kellyanne conway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lunchlady Dora?

Blog Entries

I paused the episode to read those articles. I'm guessing they were making fun of how newspapers often get names wrong.

Blog Entries

Wow, every joke was really lame. Or a rehash, the Brazilian children's show gag was already done in the first episode where they went to Brazil. Anyways, Homer being chosen as a referee made no sense at all and why did they feel the need to remind us that he was already a referee at one point? Overall it was just really boring, unfunny and lame.

1/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I paused the episode to read those articles. I'm guessing they were making fun of how newspapers often get names wrong.

Actually, the writer of this ep said that it was actually Lunchlady Doris's sister.

this episode was a sequel of Marge Gamer with callbacks to "Blame it on Lisa".
    like -in a way- "Moonshine River" to "Apocalipsis Cow"
    "Angry Dad: The Movie" to "I am Furious Yellow"
    and like is going to be "Days of Future Future" to "Holidays of Future Passed"

Whats next? "Who Shot Mr Burns? - Part 3: The truth is out there!"
    Season 26
    Clown in the Dumps: 2/5 | The Wreck of the Relationship: 3.5/5 | Super Franchise Me: 4.5/5 | Treehouse of Horror XXV: 5/5 | Opposites A-Frack: 3/5 | Simpsorama: 4.5/5

I drink too much wine, I forget things.
    In order to remember them, I drink more wine.

Blog Entries

7/10 - Lunchlady...Dora?!

In one word, I'd call it "decent." There was nothing really offensive, but nothing really good that stood out either. Anyway, let's get into the main review.

The couch gag was good, with the bulls being couches. It was short enough, and was pretty funny. The title gag with King-Size Homer flying by was good too.

Act 1 had me kind of confused when the commercial break hit. Although I found it funny, the Lincoln-Douglas debate was definitely just filler. The three minutes following the newspaper article were just confusing as hell. I don't understand how Chalmers could somehow move the topic from "riot" to "let's do a hero project." The corporate sponsoring was all right, but I think we would have been better off without it. I did like how the "hero" calls himself one because "I eat less than I used to." There was a nice reference to the banner signs outside of the school. I think it went something like "Tomorrow: Funny banner headline contest," which gave me a good laugh. The hero presentation was probably the best part of Act 1, since it was the most coherent. I liked the visual gag, "Follow Martin @TheMartinPrince," as well as Lisa's speech about Homer. I'll point out here, and mention it again later, that the callbacks in the episode were great. It felt like the writers were throwing in nods to the hardcore fans who remembered both the Brazil episode and the Homer referee episode. I appreciate that, and I wish the writers would give the devoted fans more nods like this. (For example "Yvan eht nioj" from Yellow Subterfuge) Although it wasn't the best way to move the plot along, I was satisfied with the sudden appearance of a World Cup official. I liked Homer getting excited over football, followed by a "D'oh!" when he learns that it's soccer. The Simpsons are going to Brazil...again.

Act 2 continued the decency that is this episode. The joke on the airplane with Marge trying to learn the entire language on the plane was a great reference. The 21D joke where Lisa switches seats with an old lady wasn't that funny, but...well...I'll get more into that later. It's a brilliant plot point that's re-used in act 3. When they arrive at Brazil, I'm happy that they didn't go all-out with stabs at Brazil. The montage with everyone trying to bribe Homer (topped off with the Bribe cam and someone who looks an awful lot like Frankie the Squealer) was good, but seriously do we need a montage in every single episode? Homer shows decent character when he continues to be honest because Lisa believes in him. There's some good Homer-Lisa moments in the second act. The worst plot point of the story was definitely when Bart decides to ruin Homer's happiness all of a sudden. That felt much too forced, and I'm sure Homer could have found out another way (maybe the gangsters would tell him, as mentioned later in the bar). The callback to the sexy children's show was pretty funny. I liked the C growing into an E, which was really distasteful, but still kind of funny. (I don't remember that particular gag being used in the original episode.) The Luxembourg joke was pretty funny too, but besides that, the rest of the jokes in this act were mostly hit-and-miss.

Act 3 is a decent ending, nothing more than I expected when Act 2 cut to commercial. I really liked the moment with Lisa telling Homer that he lived up to his hero name, convincing him to not throw the World Cup Final match. In fact, you could go so far as to say it was a more emotional moment of the season. My favorite part about act 3 would be all of its plot convergences. It's something that The Simpsons used to be really good at; taking a small plot element and making it matter at the end. (A good example would be in The Simpsons Movie, where Homer riding a motorcycle in the sphere of death seemed unimportant at first, but becomes pivotal as he rides around the dome in the climax.) The writers include not one, but two of these in this act. First, Marge's attempts to learn Portuguese ("You Americans...always blowing your $7.99s" was funny, but was spoken by the gay Latino man stereotype, who I hate) comes into play here, as she tries to reason with the unhappy gangsters using her now-fluent Portuguese. The gangster giving Marge one minute: "Hang on, wait for the second hand to get to the twelve..." was pretty funny. The reasoning that she uses on the gangsters, though, was noticeably weak. "I'm a mother; don't you have a mother too?" made no sense in context. However, I was happy with the second plot element. The lady on the plane, who is used as a quick joke, turns out to be the gangster's mother. She says that they owe a debt to the Simpsons for trading seats, and thus the gangster can't shoot Homer. With only three minutes left in the episode to return to the status quo, getting from "Homer is about to get shot" to "everything is back to normal" is handled pretty nicely.

As with the other episodes this season, Act 4 is just a quick joke. This episode had a nice ending, with the HD animation being used nicely to make a nice Amazon River backdrop. Mr. Teeny is actually used, so props for that. Finally, a big shout-out to Alf Clausen for composing a Brazilian version of the end credits.

I can't say that I liked this episode too much, but I didn't dislike it either. It felt like Boy Meets Curl, a decent sports episode that can't live up to Homer at the Bat (best sports episode ever made). The callbacks were a good nod to the hardcore fans, and they weren't overused either. The same goes for the Brazilian stereotypes (a sad "ole, ole" as they leave the stadium was funny though). Andres Cantor was one of the funniest jokes of the episode, and his guest star appearance was used very nicely; very little screen time, enough only to deliver some well-placed jokes. "This job has taken its toooooooooll!" The plot was mostly decent; there were some bad parts of the plot, but they can be balanced out with a good plot convergence at the end. I'm glad the episode focused mainly on the Simpson family, instead of creating a bunch of bland one-timers, as they've done in the past. There is some emotion between Homer and Lisa, but it could have been done better. The jokes are largely hit-and-miss, but I laughed enough in the episode. It's a good enough episode by Season 25 standards. 7/10
    Last edited by peyrin; 06-07-2014 at 05:08 AM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

"Lunchlady Dora calls for calm" - LUNCHLADY DORA?

The "multi-purpose room" looks like Mrs. Krabappel's classroom without the desks

Martin really does have a twitter account at @TheMARTINPRINCE; his icon is an egg

Of all the times Homer helped Lisa, the two that come to mind are from Lisa's Pony and Marge Gamer.

Lisa's speech has 54,371 likes on MyTube. The other four windows on Homer's screen are "Man Cut Out of Hammock," "Homer vs. Candy Machine," "Man's Head Stuck in Turtle Shell," and "Steamroller DUI."

For some reason, they don't say FIFA, but "World Football Federation."

The issue of L'ESPN magazine is from May 12, 2013, and costs 6 Euros. This appears to be a reference to L'Equipe, the French daily sports newspaper.

Air Brasilia's logo is a monkey - didn't this show get into enough trouble with Brazil and monkeys?

Homer wears a striped shirt while refereeing - real international level soccer referees wear solid colors. (In fact, do any soccer referees wear black and white stripes any more?)

The commentator says "penalty kick"; he must be working for a USA network, since pretty much every other country in the world says just "penalty" for the kick.

This would be the first time a European team won a World Cup outside of Europe.

Just before they show the Krusty Burger, Homer shakes his head; the pupils appear fixed on the screen while the rest of the eyes move. Then again, that makes sense, if Homer can't take his eyes off of the Krusty Burger.

Looks like Homer isn't the only one who thinks monkeys are "mouth-watering."

Andrés Cantor was the primary soccer commentator for what is now Univision, probably the oldest national Spanish-language TV network in the USA; he now works for Telemundo and NBC. He is probably best known for the way he can make the word "goal" go on forever; while this tends to be common among Central and South American commentators, most people in the USA who hear this associate it with him. (Never mind that his predecessor at Univision, Tony Tirado, did the same thing...)

Written by Michael Price
    Directed by Mark Kirkland
    Special Guest Voice: Andrés Cantor
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor, Chris Edgerly, Joey Vieira
    No billboard or blackboard
    Couch: The Simpsons are in the Running of the Bulls, only with "longhorn couches"; when they get to the couch, one of the "bulls" bursts through the wall, knocks Homer off, and takes his place
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Blog Entries

From Michael Price's Twitter:

The show introduced Lunchlady Dora after Doris Grau passed away. So we did the opposite of forget.
    Last edited by peyrin; 03-30-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Blog Entries

So since season 18 it's been a new character who looks exactly the same? Or did they just make this shit up on the spot to cover up for there typo?

EDIT: Ok apparently Willie called her Dora in "The Dark Knight Court"
    Last edited by Insomnia; 03-30-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Loved the bribe cam. 3/5
    I'm trying to be a loving father, you unwanted moron.

Thread Information