View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Quite content with this episode

5 6.76%
  • 4/5: Left me a little bit cold

7 9.46%
  • 3/5: Feel like an octo-generation wrote it

30 40.54%
  • 2/5: Very bitter

14 18.92%
  • 1/5: This is the winter of my discontent

18 24.32%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "The Winter of His Content" (SABF09)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Banned
    Blog Entries

R&R: "The Winter of His Content" (SABF09)

In this week's hilarious episode, Marge opens the house to three octogenarians after their retirement home is shuttered for health violations, but she has second thoughts about the good deed when Homer settles into an old-person lifestyle. Meanwhile, at school, Bart champions Nelson's predilection for hand-me-down underwear.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess I wasn't the only one who couldn't get on huh?

Thread needs opening. I don't have anything positive to say, but curious if anyone else can find anything. Bart's joined the gang of bullies before (both in "The Tell-Tale Head" and "The Haw Hawed Couple". Homer's embraced his senior side before ("The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons"). And everything about all those episodes was better executed and funnier than anything in this. The seniors plot didn't even have an ending whatsoever, and the bullies plot went haywire in the third act.
    Signature.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I couldn't get on all night, kept getting the database error screen. I was about to go to sleep actually but I checked one last time and got on.

Anywho this felt below average from what little I remember. I know Bart's night out musta been a movie reference but it went over my head. It did have some cute things here and there but I'll give it a 2.5/5 rounded down. Heck just a 2 even.

Best episode in a while!

I enjoyed the Warriors parody, and found the B-plot to be better than the A-plot. Probably around a 3/5.

The Warriors parody was fairly fun, and would've made a much better lead than Homer's story. There was some excitement to the journey home for the bullies, and the score was solid. Homer's love for the daily routines of the elderly added little, and mostly relied on people still finding stale jokes funny.

Blog Entries

Meh. Another boring episode. But at least watchable, 2/5

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

That was another strange episode. Firstly, the episode structure was quite bizarre. What I assumed was the main plot (with Grampa et al) pretty much ended two-thirds of the way through, only to be briefly revisited at the end. Overall, that plot was pretty weak. First, Homer was confident that he would never get old, but then he suddenly wants to treat Grampa well so Lisa will be able to figure out how to treat him when he is older? Other than that, nothing much happened. It was a very thin plot that had no resolution. Then the other plot with the bullies was just—I have no idea what the hell that was. It had to be one of the most perplexing, surreal plots I have ever seen. Some random bully decides to steal Bart's slingshot and shoot the leader of the bullies and decides to frame Bart for some reason, and then he decides to hunt them down? And throughout the whole second half of the episode, we barely got to see any character; it was just basically them walking around and doing stuff while really weird music is playing. What I mean is that it hardly felt like Bart was even in it. But, considering all that, it worked for me. It was just weird enough for me to be entertained by the fact that I had absolutely no idea what was going on. It was obviously a reference to a movie or something, but I have no idea what, and I don't want to know because it felt pretty original to me (I guess knowing what it was a reference to wouldn't change anything, since it's not like I'm going to go watch the source material), and more importantly, it felt fresh. Overall, a very strange episode with one refreshing plot and one pretty weak one. 4/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 03-16-2014 at 07:30 PM.

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok that was kinda cool seeing "The Weasels" again.

As for the episode it was surprisingly decent, one of the better episodes I have seen in a long time.
    I liked seeing them use all of the bullies in one plot, the Homer plot was meh and didn't really have an ending it was only there to end the bully plot.

I also really liked Bart's happy reaction to getting sacked and saying "This family's had a lot of hoods put over there heads"

3/5
    Last edited by Insomnia; 03-16-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah, we're finally back in business!

Kind of a weird episode. It seems like the subplot with the bullies ended up becoming the main plot, and I didn't really get it. Bart was framed for shooting his slingshot at the bully master or whatever he was, and the other bullies were mad at him. Then that's forgotten about and...then what's going on? Are they being pursued by other bully for some reason? The guy who framed Bart? And if so, why? I just didn't get that. But that plot did have the Moe joke, which was one of the best jokes I've seen in a while.

The other plot was decent, but nothing really special. Unlike in recent episodes, it seems like they were able to give both plots time to develop, so it is possible for them to pull off a successful subplot every now and again. I thought the convergence of the plots was handled pretty well; much better than in The Man Who Grew Too Much.

Also, I liked that we finally had a nice, short couch gag, although Homer continuing to scream over the opening credits kind of ruined it. Oh well, it was still better than the last few.

I'll give this a 3/5. It was able to do some things fairly well, and I thought it was a little more interesting than Diggs, and much better put together than The Man Who Grew Too Much. I'm not sure if the bully plot ended up confusing anyone else, or if it was just me.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BrokenBox

3/5 I enjoyed the first two acts, didn't care for the weak ending.
    I'm trying to be a loving father, you unwanted moron.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Actually pretty good so far.

I liked Dr. Hibbert's Red Foxx-esque father, the cabinet full of bran cereals, and the defibrillator jokes.

The trio of old people farting was rather stupid.

Oh, no... not ANOTHER "Bart and Nelson are now friends" subplot. That dynamic has been worn to death.

ACT TWO:

The main plot is kinda stupid, but I'm enjoying it anyway. I don't know why - maybe I'm just in a good mood tonight.

The subplot got off to a slow start, but once the "bully summit" or whatever started, I felt myself being sucked into it.

ACT THREE:

Well, the plot and subplot both ended abruptly, but that's Zombie Simpsons for ya.

The artwork of the subplot was fantastic, though, and some of the best we've seen in years.

OVERALL:

Well, either modern Simpsons has numbed my mind enough to enjoy it, or I just happen to be in a good mood, but I quite enjoyed this episode, despite a few hiccups here and there.

I give it a 4/5 (B+) and consider it to be the second best of the season behind Steal This Episode.
    Last edited by Irvine; 03-16-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Sometimes I wish they would just do away with the B story altogether (in this case, I mean the bullies, because they came in an inferior position to Homer and the oldies) like Family Guy does, because they end up having to cram all this shit in and can't really resolve the plot. They could have done a really solid show about Homer wanting to be older, but they had to cram in the stupid "lunch money" jokes.

3/5

Did the "Homer's grandpa" bit confuse anyone else?
    http://www.nohomers.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16014&dateline=1394082927

Blog Entries

You guys are calling it mediocre to bad, but I personally really enjoyed this one. We start with Marge inviting Old Jewish Man and Jasper over to the Simpson house, which has Marge in good character. Homer wanting to be like the old guys for some reason didn't make much sense, but his life as an older person was handled well enough. I enjoyed the scene with Marge realizing that Homer is acting older than her, and Dan's voice acting when he makes Homer's voice sound like Grampa's. In the second act, the Homer story kind of gives way to the bully plot, and then is quickly re-visited at the end. The plot convergence at the end was very well done, by the way. It was much better than The Man Who Grew Too Much. I'm glad they chose not to write a quick scene that makes the old people leave the Simpson home, as that would have taken away from what I felt was a very nicely paced episode. As mentioned in the beginning, the retirement home was closed down temporarily for repairs, and once the repairs are finished (which we assume to happen after the events of the episode), they go back to the home. The status quo is handled very well here.

Now onto the bully plot. The transition from the old people plot into the bully plot was very well executed. Neither plot would have been strong enough to carry an episode by itself, so putting two plots into one episode was a good call on the writers. If both plots were made their own episode, a lot of very unfunny filler would have had to been created. I'm thankful they didn't do that. I like the way the episode doesn't jump between the two plots. In recent episodes jumping between two (or more) plots like that hasn't proven to be the writers' forte. Four Regrettings and a Funeral is a good example of the choppiness that might have happened if this episode jumped between the two plots. Instead, we have what I felt was a decent wrap up to the main plot, which transitions into the B-plot getting the attention it needs.

The relationship between Bart and the bullies has definitely been done before (The Telltale Head, and sorry but The Telltale Head did it way better), but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy this episode. I really didn't get the Warriors parody with the subway and the announcer, but that still provided some good jokes. Chief Wiggum's sound check was one of the funniest parts of the episode. The bullies of other places were pretty shallow one-time characters, but they didn't play too big of a role in the story (i.e. Bart didn't befriend one of them), so I can't complain. It was really great to see Nelson's weasels from early on in the show return again. That was a very good callback by the writers, bringing back the character for a quick gag without overusing them. The joke with Moe and the girl on the Ferris wheel was another great joke from the episode. I was disappointed that they had to use "Six Flags Krusty" or something like that instead of just using Krustyland. (Sidenote: Using Krustyland could have made for a great episode tie-in with Tapped Out. Just saying.) As mentioned before, the plot convergence was very well done, with Homer reverting back to his young self to save Bart from the bullies. The main bully saying he's never been in a fight before was a very weird way to get rid of him, though.

Overall, The Winter of His Content is one of the better Season 25 episodes. The first act was definitely the strongest, and then it kind of weakened afterward. Both plots were kind of thin, but I still really enjoyed both of them. Neither plot can really be called a subplot, since one just transitions into another. The jokes were pretty good (the defribulator joke being a highlight), and the characterization was pretty decent. I can't find much wrong with this episode. 8/10

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - definitely a "meh" episode

There was a NASCAR race on Fox that started late because of rain, and had a lengthy rain delay during the race; however, unlike with the Daytona 500, this race was moved to Fox Sports 1 for the finish (which had a rather strange ending - the caution lights malfunctioned with 3 laps to go, probably much to the delight of the "NASCAR throws a phantom caution near the end of the race" conspiracy theorists, but a couple of laps later, there was a sudden, torrential downpour that resulted in the race ending at that point anyway). Note that the race ended at about 9:30 PM Pacific time, so if the race had remained on Fox, chances are that the entire Sunday schedule would have been pre-empted.

Was that Rabbi Krustovsky on the billboard, or just some generic rabbi?

The sounds from the Operation game continue over the TV screen in the opening.

There really is a "Simpsons Operation"; some of the "bones" are "Chip on Shoulder" (a potato chip at Homer's left shoulder), "Mmmm...Short Ribs" (his ribs), and "Bowler's Thumb" (a bowling pin at his left thumb).

Homer says, "If it's not final (notice), who cares" - whatever happened to "Some Guys Are Coming"?

The Diet Buzz Cola rat is thinner than the regular Buzz Cola rat.

Grampa has a Purple Heart.

Is it just me, or does Skobo's look like Krusty Burger with a different sign?

"I won't let the ravages of time catch up with me until I'm 52" - hmmm, I know somebody who turned 52 about a month ago...

Grampa, Jasper, and Crazy Old Man weren't back at Springfield Retirement Castle when the episode ended.

Written by Kevin Curran
    Directed by Chuck Sheetz
    Billboard: This Easter Give Up Jesus for Lent / Temple Beth Springfield
    Blackboard: MY DAD'S ALREADY DRUNK FOR ST. PATRICK'S
    Couch: Homer is the patient in a game of Operation
    Special Guest Voice: Kevin Michael Richardson
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV

18. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Blog Entries

I'm 90% sure that was Rabbi Krustofski on the billboard gag.

Blog Entries

So, uh, no more couch gags? It's just a gag after the intro without a couch now? Oh well, it was a funny joke though.
    Last edited by Monty; 03-16-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    This is all you need to know..

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This episode featured almost everything I hate about modern Simpsons.

I hate to say it but I think we may have found a writer worse than Tim Long. Or at least more out of touch.
    At least Tim Long tries. At least Tim Long's episodes are memorably awful when they're bad.

Kevin Curran's 56 and hasn't produced a funny Simpsons episode in years.
    I enjoyed him more when he was voicing Buck the Dog on Married... With Children. Back then he made me laugh.

NoHomers.net was offline so long tonight I've already forgotten most of it.

bad, the B-plot took over and I just didn't like it. As it's so common in the Jean era, none of the plots got properly developed, I just gave this a 1/5.
    Having such a vast vocabulary really embiggens my pride

4>3>2>6>7>5>8>9>1>10>12>11>14>15>16>13> the rest I don't know how to organize but they share the quality of not being as good as S13 to me

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There were parts I liked, and parts I didn't like. The two plots were executed pretty well, it didn't feel like there was any filler plot this time. Some jokes about old people, some about bullying. Itchy and Scratchy was pretty good. Overall, an enjoyable episode, although something was missing. I'll give this 3/5

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

The only laughs were some of The Warriors homages. D

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This might be one of the most forgettable episodes of all time, i didint laugh or chuckle once but i didint massively cringe at the jokes either, just about everything in this episode had been before in one way or another, nothing particulary noteworthy, the ending too the subplot pretty much sucked while the mainplot didint even have one althought you could say that played as the ending so that sucked aswell, not the most painful episode in the world but still really boring and forgettable with barley anything interesting at all, not sure if its fair too give it a 1/5 so i simply leave it as a 2 episode. 2/5

felt like this one left a lot to be desired.

Bart's plot was entertaining and a decently done parody, but too slow paced for what it was. why not just go out and be silly with it?

Homer's plot wasnt interesting at all, mainly because it was already done better and way funnier in season 9 (the two mrs nahasapeemapetilons)

3/5

Dear Kevin Curran,
    Please leave it another three and a half years before you write another episode.

2/5
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Blog Entries

Two episodes in a row now where both plots meet at the end and have a fight.

Great seeing the weasels. Warriors parody was top notch. "Oh no, he's got three bottles!". But, aside from that, nothing but plots that have been done already. Would have been much better if it was all about Bart & Co escaping from BullyFest. Could have made a nice little original episode. But, not really boring. 3/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Blog Entries

Did the family guy team write this episode? Because that's what it feels like. It has cutaway gags, dumb surreal moments (Ghost) and obvious film references that just re-enacts movie scenes instead of actually parodying them. It just had a very weird feel about it.

Anyway, while this episode didn't annoy me like last week's two disasters, it was still extremely boring and humourless. So a 1/5 seems fair.
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: oddMLan

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought this was one of the better season 25 episodes. It had just enough laughs/chuckles to warrant a 4/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

maybe a little rustic CousinMerl's Avatar

I thought that this was another alright episode where neither of the plots were really that great or bad. The plot about Grampa, Jasper and the Old Jewish Man becoming boarders at the Simpson home and Homer becoming one of them was pretty alright but it felt wierd with Homer pretty much turning into an old man himself and as for the subplot, which later on kind of turns into the main plot, and is about Bart becoming a member of the bully gang and going with them to a 'bully summit' was okay and a little interesting to be honest, but the whole parodic angle which was a reference to 'The Warriors' got a bit lost on me since I haven't seen the movie it spoofs yet (but I've heard of it so I partially understood the references) & it all turned quite needlessly random when that one bully used Bart's slingshot on the bully leader, blamed it on Bart and got everyone to chase after the Springfield bullies and Bart; all for some wierd, unexplained reason (I guess he was just a cowardly jerk who loves to blame his deeds on others). I liked when the two plots joined together in the end, with Homer reverting back to his usual self and scaring away the troublemaking bully and his goons before going home with Bart, the bullies and the old folks' trio.

Still, despite the flaws it had, I enjoyed the episode and while the humor fell flat on several occasions, there were some amusing moments and jokes (such as the defibrillations & the huge font joke) and I liked the cameo of Nelson's weasels as well so it wasn't a complete waste of time. I do wish that the plots at least could have had their places switched because the bully plot could have been the better main story instead of the Homer as an old man tale since it showed more potential (and then maybe the "evil" bully could have been fleshed out a bit and not come off as some random, last minute bad guy) & there was the fact that this episode did borrow some from earlier episodes (like, we just recently had a "Simpson home becomes a boarding home" episode and Bart has befriended Nelson before, but as for the latter goes, he didn't really befriend Nelson or the other bullies and pretty much just tagged along), but there were some newer stuff as well which was good and kept the episode from feeling too derivative. Overall, It wasn't that awful despite being lackluster in several aspects so as I said, I think it was just alright.

3/5
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 03-17-2014 at 01:44 PM.

Ten-second FOX News promo comes first!
    Seeing that Flash-esque new intro again makes me grateful the rest of the show isn't animated that way...
    LOL at Lisa playing the violin again in place of the sax!

I liked Homer and Marge both yelling "D'OH!" at the news about Grandpa.
    I wasn't surprised the two other old folks that would live with the Simpsons family were Jasper and whatever that Jewish old man is named.

The Itchy and Scratchy cartoon was rather interesting, and I liked the "huge font" joke as well.

Huh, I always thought when Homer would actually get old, he'd look JUST LIKE Grampa Simpson (like when he was dehydrated in "New Kids on the Blechh.")

Heh, there's a Six Flags Over Krusty? What happened to Krustyland?
    "The Baseball Furries?!" Where do I sign up?! (since I play a baseball mascot myself!)

So Springfield now has a fully-functional subway system? Too bad Brockton isn't like that (though I do often travel around Boston and its surrounding areas via THEIR subway.)

Wow, Kevin Michael Richardson did a LOT of voices in this one. I did also like Tress MacNeille's female African-American DJ voice as well (she had a bit more versatility here compared to other episodes.)

The whole bully thing was the most interesting thing about the episode. Besides, when it comes to old guys with Jewish accents, I prefer Walter Wolf from "Animaniacs."

Thread Information