31 34.44%
  • 1/5 the sex talk

23 25.56%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R "The Man Who Grew Too Much"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R "The Man Who Grew Too Much"

A surprised Lisa discovers she has common cultural grounds with Sideshow Bob, while Marge gives a sex talk to a teen church group. Hilarity ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

The production code was on Marge's license plate...they do that alot lately.

That was nice and sad regarding Edna...

But uhh the rest, right, it was eh. I liked Sideshow Bob at first but by the end it just reminded me of that awful Rob Schneider movie. At least he's technically out of prison I guess.

I dunno generous 3?

Oh I kinda preferred Marge's plot actually.

3. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

Well that wasn't good.

Moleman gag was funny

I thought sideshow was going to die for a second.

Worst sideshow Bob episode ever!

1/5

Blog Entries

I can't believe they found a way to come out with a worse sideshow bob episode than the one where he rips his face off

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Pretty boring, but I'm still liking it better than Diggs so far.

Ms. Hoover's Neptune video pales in comparison to her moon video from season 8.

I like Ned saying "John Han-bleep." Very lame and in character for him.

I really hated the Rod and Todd incest joke.

Sideshow Bob seems to have sprung up from nowhere. Not a good sign.

ACT TWO:

They really had to repeat the face thing and make it even more disgusting?

For a Bob episode, he's barely in it. Still not a good sign. Also, there's barely a plot.

ACT THREE:

Oh. My. GOD! What a piece of fucking shit!

It tuns out that Bob modified his own DNA? AND he's going to continue stealing other peoples' DNA?! WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!

Then it ends with him jumping in the water and then stepping on a rake... yeah, I'm too old for this shit...

OVERALL:

Well, I didn't think it was possible, but they topped The Italian Bob.

Seriously. The Italian Bob looks like a masterpiece compared to this piece of shit. 1/5 (F)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

So i guess Ms. Krabapple died

Blog Entries

that was sad
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling (1904-1963)

" Well i always thought if a song was not going to say something, it should be an instrumental "
    - Gil Scott Heron ( NPR 1985 )

The ending with Edna caught me off guard. Didn't like this episode that much though.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This only gets a bonus point because of that tribute at the end. After Bob's reveal of Super Strength, the story was just eye-rolling, 1/5 bad.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

edna ending was certainly something, but this episode was terrible. bob is such an awful character now.

12. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

What's the deal with episodes having no plots these days? Stuff just happens.

Wait what Rod And Todd thing?

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Both of tonight's episodes look like a novice writer wrote a first draft, and they animated them with no rewrites

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

So Edna dies with the actress.

Well that was surprisingly good...until that SuperBob twist. Ugh..
    Still the humor was really strong throughout the episode.
    The only bad jokes were Rod And Todd marrying eachother (???) and the repeated Season 7 "Could you close your eyes I'm trying to sleep" gag.
    Also liked seeing Edna but I'm not sure if that was how they were retiring the character.

I'd give it a high 3.5/5

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not as strong as Diggs, but not bad. I loved the callback to The Bob Next Door, and I liked Lisa's bonding with Bob. The subplot wasn't as bad it could've been, but I would've preferred it to have been scrapped to allow for more Bob/Lisa relationship development. They tried to tie the plots together at the end, but it seemed pretty forced. There wasn't a resolution either. For a second, I thought Bob was indeed going to die. The Edna thing...I guess it just confirms the writers are too lazy to make an episode to explain her disappearance. And I guess it means they're stupidly taking out all the rest of her speaking roles that Wallace recorded. But the episode had Bob, and Bob had his good old...Bobbish personality, so I can't grade it too harshly. Low 3/5, second-worst Bob episode after The Italian Bob.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

1/5: terrible. Just terrible. And while it is a nice, touching ending, why this episode? Way too random.

Blog Entries

bob's character used to have a flexible slapstick to him that was balanced out with a sense of grounded class and dignity. The writers have lost touch with that a long time ago. I really was hoping to like this episode but it is pretty much impossible to.

also it has been established that bob has tried to murder the entire family in the past so why is lisa not aware of this? even if he was trying to kill bart the whole time, why would she work along sideshow bob anyway? why are homer and marge so dumb to let their daughter do this like it's no big deal? lisa's character is not this stupid or unsympathetic towards bart to do this no matter how fascinated she is with GMO's.

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Ned's mention of Edna took me by surprise, and I was even more surprised to see her standing there and speaking for the first time since, I believe "YOLO"? ("Quick! Get a picture for the yearbook!")

My guess is the episode originally was to end with Ned and Edna dancing, given dialogue was recorded, but the changed it to a day dream as a send off for the character. I would have preferred a full episode, but I understand how the crew might not want to tackle another "Ned loses his wife" episode.

However I do wonder how they'll handle Bart's teacher. I'd be okay with an episode that opens with Edna having already died, and they recruit Willie as School Teacher Willie.

---

As for the episode itself, I liked it up til the DNA gags. It got a little too wacky from there and I was hoping for a little more creativity with the premise, as nutty as it was. Some good gags, however, and I enjoyed the episode much more than Diggs. 3/5
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Utterly, utterly terrible.

What I was expecting near the end: Bob hadn't actually spliced himself with animal DNA, but had legitimately gone crazy, and it turned out the models used in the museum were replicas made of polystyrene. But, no, that didn't happen. This would have made a nice Halloween short, I guess.

1/5
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

So, apparently this is all just a memory of Ned's...

2/5
    http://www.nohomers.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16014&dateline=1394082927

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

My feelings on the episode are mixed. I welcome the return of Sideshow Bob. It's odd, though; episodes like The Italian Bob and The Bob Who Lives Next Door have excellent writing outside of Bob himself; this latest escapade is no different. While I find the secondary plots and family's characterizations to be fairly intact in these three Bob episodes (I really liked the writing for Homer in both of those episodes, for whatever reason), what they do to Bob the character is off-putting, cartoony and contradictory of the dramatic aspects of the character - giving him a family, having him slice his face off and, in this foray, giving him gills and grasshopper legs.

Bob and Lisa's relationship was interesting to explore, while it lasted. I think there was enough to each character to make a legitimate connection for the sake of the episode but, I feel that this unique character combination goes woefully underused. Maybe Bob and Lisa could have had another activity together, like watching a Gilbert and Sullivan show online and singing along or something. Heck, I would have even welcomed a montage. Instead, we get a few basic scenes (well-acted and endearing to a fault, but not enough) to establish the relationship, and the climax in the art museum, which is as soon as forgotten for the next outing.

I didn't care much for the Marge subplot; it felt like treading on the path of King of the Hill from a few years earlier. Marge isn't as sexually repressed as Peggy Hill was - which made the KOTH episode work so well by contrast - so, while the premise was a bit well-worn, the execution felt a bit off. Her intent to bring Homer in to put a kibash on the teens' activity was a novel approach, but it got weird in the end.

I can't let the sincere and sweet ending with Ned and Edna affect my opinion of the episode as a whole. Despite the great art and animation direction (I really liked Marge's nervous gestures while she was introducing herself to the abstinence group) and some great voice work by Kelsey Grammer, as always, this episode missed the mark for me. It's slightly above average for by this era's standards, but I don't think I'll be re-watching this one any time soon.

An open question: Lenny and Carl comment on the teens acting out because of abstinence, and one of them says something to the effect of "There are taboos on sex in the Middle East, and we don't see them fighting about it!" Are the producers commenting, ironically, that the conflicts in the Middle East are based partially on sexual oppression / repression?

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    ACT ONE:

Pretty boring, but I'm still liking it better than Diggs so far.

Ms. Hoover's Neptune video pales in comparison to her moon video from season 8.

I like Ned saying "John Han-bleep." Very lame and in character for him.

I really hated the Rod and Todd incest joke.

Sideshow Bob seems to have sprung up from nowhere. Not a good sign.

ACT TWO:

They really had to repeat the face thing and make it even more disgusting?

For a Bob episode, he's barely in it. Still not a good sign. Also, there's barely a plot.

ACT THREE:

Oh. My. GOD! What a piece of fucking shit!

It tuns out that Bob modified his own DNA? AND he's going to continue stealing other peoples' DNA?! WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!

Then it ends with him jumping in the water and then stepping on a rake... yeah, I'm too old for this shit...

OVERALL:

Well, I didn't think it was possible, but they topped The Italian Bob.

Seriously. The Italian Bob looks like a masterpiece compared to this piece of shit. 1/5 (F)
    I agree. I don't wanna see anymore Bob episodes and I'd prefer a cameo now and then like in Wedding for Disaster and the 500th episode. I'm sick of gags like when his face fell off too. D-

Blog Entries

And what's with them essentially ripping off the "can you close your eyes, I'm trying to sleep" gag from A Fish Called Selma?

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bob using all the DNA from various people reminded me of the GI JOE movie: Rise of Serpentaur (SP) where Serp. was created by harvesting the DNA of the greatest world leaders and merging them into on being...however, the GI JOE writers didn't use bug or veggie dna.

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fucking Terrible it was so bad that an F- grade is being too generous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

So Edna is dead now? I thought it was stated several times they'd just retire her character and she'd stop appearing? That tacked on ending hardly did her supposed death justice.

Anyway, I thought the episode was good up until the final act where it just petered out with a bunch of kooky jokes about Bob's altered DNA and body structure. The subplot even had some good moments, but mostly just took away from the main plot which could have been better served with more time.

Overall, meh. Down there with The Italian Bob as my least favorite Bob episode. Shame because The Bob Next Door was great.
    Last edited by Tomacco; 03-09-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    Signature.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Just a sterile do-over of all previous Bob plots with some nonsensical mutant powers, preachy Lisa and Marcia Wallace's final lines ever for good measure.
    A stark contrast with Diggs which had better gags and treated its plot with sensitivity - whereas this was largely nonsense.

I miss the days where Lisa episodes were consistently good.
    We've had like one in the entire HD era (The Great Simpsina).
    That's 5 whole years.

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow this episode just went no where, it had potential with Lisa befriending Bob but that just went no where this wasn't the worst episode ever but it wasn't good at all.
    There was 2 or 3 funny jokes but that's it. Sideshow Bob trying to kill them was just really lame all he did was run after them like always, nothing happened in this episode and the subplot was just lame and nothing cam out of it either.
    2/5

Almost forgot about Edna apparently being dead now. I'm not sure I like that but at least it's a real explanation in show why she is gone. I wonder if they will get a new teacher.
    Last edited by Insomnia; 03-09-2014 at 07:50 PM.

I liked Jasper trying to cross the street
    I'm trying to be a loving father, you unwanted moron.

Thread Information