18 23.08%
  • 1/5 i will dig a hole and die

9 11.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R&R: "Diggs"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R: "Diggs"

Bart makes friends with a transfer student named Diggs, an expert in falconry. Hilarity ensues.

R&R after you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

What a pointless episode.

Bart's voice was bad

Barely any jokes

3/5

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked that Comic Book Guy's girlfriend was shown.

EDIT: Errr wife, I had forgotten...

It was alright I guess. Lotta random cuts to Homer, with the dog, the falcon, eating, etc...I actually liked the money runner.

Diggs was a weird character, though they give him one or two nice one liners I guess.

3/5

What was the point of the chalkboard gag? Homer and Jasper's family trees? Didn't understand that one...

Junior Camper

Average episode, enjoyable. I liked it, just nothing stand out, and low on the jokes.

I just remembered how much I enjoyed Homer and Santas Little Helper stuff though, just seemed cute to me.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Pretty bad first act.

The plot is jump started by Bart acting out of character, caring about some sick kid he never met and for no reason at all.

We have a tasteless racist joke where Carl knows about a black kid... because he's black? Whatever.

The "Homer asking for money" plot, coupled with the "kids are grossed out by Bart because he ate the frog" plot felt drawn out and lazy. I mean - it really took all THAT to jump start Bart meeting Diggs?

ACT TWO:

Wow, talk about an act full of filler. The joke where Homer thinks Bart is sneaking his first underage drink went on WAY too long and was never funny at any point.

I did get the first real laugh of the episode, with the beach being closed due to Selma being topless.

ACT THREE:

What a poorly executed twist. First we have lazy exposition with Bart printing out the hospital paper, when he could have just easily said the name out loud.

Then Diggs is in a mental hospital because he's crazy or whatever.

Then he's gone just because the episode is over.

I'll give the episode 1/100th of a credit for not having a falconry expert guest star.

OVERALL:

Welp, it took them long enough, but it's the first truly bad episode of this season in my eyes. 2/5 (D) D for Diggs!
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked this. I really liked the exchange between Willie and Skinner, and while Diggs wasn't an extraordinary character, he was decent. There wasn't really anything negative I can say about the episode. No moments were amazing, although the aforementioned Willie/Skinner conversation was good. The twist that showed Diggs might've been a little crazy was well done, too. This is yet another example of how episodes without subplots end up being much better nowadays. 4/5

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

2/5: snoozefest.

Blog Entries

Can't say I really hated it... because nothing really happened that stood out as terrible. I only laughed at the beach joke, but the rest of the episode was just inoffensively poor. A 3/5 because I'm feelin generous.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Not bad but forgettable. I agree with Irvine's review 2/5

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

3/5 - Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Very much a middle of the road episode. After the past three episodes, all which I enjoyed to varying degrees, tonight was a letdown. I mean, I enjoyed back-to-back episodes, but neither one really did much more than what I expect from a 3/5 episode.
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

Wow. I utterly adored that. It was sweet. The jokes weren't in your face. Solid laughs and an actual story. And everybody was in character. I'm actually blown away by it. 5/5.

EDIT: And, they kept his missing finger! It wasn't a gag that was forgotten about seconds later! That's pretty fucking excellent for a modern Simpsons episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

^ I notice they kept the missing finger too. Kudos to the animators.

An okay episode with its share of bad jokes.
    Diggs was an interesting character, would have like to see more of him.

3/5 Above average for season 25

canadian. likes the hockeys arii's Avatar

You know I really enjoyed this one. Maybe it helps that I watched the other one first and it was awful and cartoony and this one was so much more grounded.

I think they left the ending unresolved though. It would've been nice to see more post-institutionalized interactions between Bart and Diggs rather than a basic prank and then "well I guess this is goodbye forever thanks though." Just felt kind of unfulfilling, and not on purpose.

Maybe tighten the beginning up more - like, shorten down the time it takes for Bart to become an outcast - and then they'd have more room to do more at the end. That seems to be a common problem with this show. They don't leave themselves enough time for a solid ending.

I feel like they actually could have gone somewhere with mental illness but they pretty much just scratched at the surface a little and said, "eh, good enough." That's disappointing. It's been 25 years, the show should be more ambitious than that.

First time in a while though I've watched the show and come away from an episode genuinely entertained and feeling like there's still a glimmer of potential.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    What was the point of the chalkboard gag? Homer and Jasper's family trees? Didn't understand that one...
    You need to be a sports fan to get that one. Bart was drawing up a March Madness college basketball tourney bracket on the blackboard.
    It immediately followed the St. Patrick's Day billboard ad so they were clearly throwing a bunch of March crap into the initial gags.

I enjoyed this episode as well.
    Can't remember the last time a guest character was written so intelligently despite being nuts.
    Everyone was in character and most of the gags worked.
    Easily the best of the Greaney / Glazier collaborations.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I'm blown away. Did a Simpsons episode nearly make me cry?

And no, not out of its terribleness did it just about bring me to tears. Maybe it was the maudlin piano interludes sprinkled throughout, or maybe it was the intriguing relationship between Bart and Diggs. What sold me on this episode was the touching and excellently written conversation between Bart and his family about what will happen to Diggs after he jumped out of the tree.

I don't know if I've been in a friendship like the one between Bart and Diggs, but I compared Bart's plight to dealing with someone suffering with an alcohol or drug problem, or with someone who's died. Facing the fact that, sometimes, you just can't help someone - even if you see their signs from a mile away - is a devastating notion. Think of being ten years old and discovering that your one true friend in a time of desperation is someone who is, indeed, mentally ill, or even comes from an abusive or neglectful family. Friendship can be a strong bond, but Diggs had to get help - at least he was mature enough to recognize it. Bart, though, needed some contextualization, thanks to Marge and Lisa, who are true standouts in this episode.

Diggs, as a character, may not make it in the top ten of one-shot kids to appear on the playground of Springfield Elementary, but he made for an interesting counterpoint to Bart. Daniel Radcliffe made for a great voice talent, making himself a two-for-two success for the show. My only real complaints for this episode are that Diggs is a bit too mature (in looks, in demeanor and in voice) to be an elementary schooler - I had the same issue with Topher Grace's character from S19 - and that Homer came off as a bit obnoxious at times. He tortures Bart for twenty bucks, which leads to Bart eating a dead frog and landing in the hospital, only to forget about the whole thing. Over how much time could this whole thing have transpired? Or his Homer this much of an aggressive moron?

Otherwise, I would rate this episode highly as a somewhat experimental Simpsons outing.

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually watched an episode this season

And it wasnt bad per say but it wasn't very good I guess. Not much happened and there was nothing funny.
    2.5/5

This could have been a great Bart episode dealing with an issue the show has never touched before - having a best friend who turns out to be mentally ill or unstable, and how that affects the friendship. They touched on aspects of it, like Bart feeling worried and betrayed, yet still being drawn to hanging out with him and being his friend.

But they royally messed it up with a convoluted story that refused to stay focused. Even for 5 seconds. Seriously, they wouldn't even allow Diggs to speak without cutting away to a random joke involving the Duff blimp. They introduced his troubled side so randomly and suddenly too with him jumping out of the tree. The whole final act didn't even make much sense. The conflict of Diggs being ill and Bart being upset just wound up going towards them free falcons at a falcon show (I think they tried to hint that it was a metaphor for how Diggs feels about his condition, but it felt so sloppily shoved in, and didn't really resolve anything for Bart's feelings about the whole thing).

Homer being proud of Bart for going off to sneak a beer was alright, if a bit out of character (in the gold ol days he once said "now, son, beer is for grown-ups and kids with fake-IDs"). Here he's basically pushing him to go drink and smoke weed. Just seemed out of character and weird to me.

All that being said, I thought the first act was entertaining and showed a different, negative, result of Bart's antics and willingness to draw a crowd. Felt fresh.

I dunno about this one, it had some promising moments, but it just never seemed confidently told and executed, and felt really messy to me.
    Signature.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This episode was odd. I didn't think the friendship between Bart and Diggs was developed very well, nor was Bart's interest in falconry. In fact, he seemed quite out of character throughout the whole episode. Diggs wasn't a terrible character, though. They could have focused a lot more on his mental illness, which was certainly the most interesting aspect of this episode. As it was, it wasn't terrible, but it seemed really thin. There seemed to be a lot of filler. Overall, this episode had a pretty strange concept, but that kept it somewhat interesting, even if it left a lot to be desired. 4/10

Blog Entries

7.5/10

I really liked this episode. A lot of people are saying that the subplot in Act 1 took too long to get to Diggs, but I thought the pacing was done pretty well. The opening scene in the church, with Homer bugging Bart for the money, was actually pretty funny. Bart's announcement, "I will eat anything for money!" was also great. When I watched Act 1, I thought I was watching The Man Who Grew Too Much. It wasn't until the final frames that I knew this was Diggs. That kind of threw me off. Still, the transition was done pretty nicely.

Daniel Radcliffe does some really great voice work for Diggs. His American accent sounds very authentic, so props for that. Diggs is a great one-time character, in that he has some real characteristics to him instead of just being a gag-centered, one-dimensional character. He reminded me of Juliet from S20's Lisa the Drama Queen, who also had mental problems. Her encounter with Lisa was done pretty well, but I actually think that Diggs did a better job with the exploring of the character's mental illness. We see that Diggs wants to fly himself, and later, he wants to set the falcons free. Despite being crazy, Bart sticks with him all the way, which I think is pretty great characterization of him. Homer and the rest of the family are great throughout here as well. Homer telling the dog to sit was pretty well-done, actually. The scenes where Bart talks to the family about Diggs are handled pretty delicately. They don't just flat out explain to you that Diggs has mental problems, but they nonetheless are reluctant to have Bart visit Diggs. That was good.

The montage in Act 2 with the falcon was one of the best parts of the episode. The fuzzy animation style they used was reminiscent of the earlier seasons. We got to see some more secondary characters, including Disco Stu dancing. Diggs's departure is done just as well as Juliet's departure from Lisa the Drama Queen. Bart realizes that his friend needs to be caged for his own safety, and therefore lets him go. I want to mention here that the music throughout the episode is great. It really packs the emotional punch that this episode needs. Bart and Diggs have a great friendship, which is unfortunately broken up by Diggs's mental illness. The falconry wasn't as important for me. However, because of the emotional scenes, the jokes lighten up in act 3. It was amusing, but not solidly funny.

The ending with the roast duck was some good comic relief following Bart's emotional farewell to Diggs. I'm also glad to see the regular closing credits theme being used again. This was an entertaining episode. Jokes were okay (except for in the third act when it lightened up), plot was great, characterization was great (especially between Bart and Diggs), and pacing was done nicely. Again, the music should be praised for helping with the emotions. I really liked it; not as much as The Man Who Grew Too Much, but I still liked it. 7.5/10

(This is just a shorter review based on my first impression of the episode. Once it goes onto Hulu, I will re-watch it and provide more in-depth opinions. I'll probably also freeze frame parts of the episode to catch some more interesting gags, like the names that Diggs signed on his cast. The only one that caught my eye was John Swartzwelder. That is the way a list gag should be done, a really quick flash that needs to be freeze-framed to fully get the joke. List gags shouldn't be long filler like Frosty the Hit-Man from White Christmas Blues.)

Finally, @Stupid Idiot nice job with the captions next to the ratings. I can't remember which episode but one season 25 episode had the 3/5 rating say "Best of season 25 so far." That was not fair at all.
    Last edited by peyrin; 05-12-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

Written by Dan Greaney & Allen Glazier
    Directed by Michael Polcino
    Billboard: St. Patrick's Day At Moe's / Leprechauns Drink Free
    Blackboard: instead of a quote, there's a single-elimination bracket of characters (see below)
    Couch: The lights go out, and when they come back on, the couch gag is done by Sylvain Chomet (who did, among other things, The Triplets of Belleville)
    Special Guest Voice: Daniel Radcliffe
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-LV
    Couch Gag produced by Th1ng (pronounced "Thing One", as in the character in "The Cat in the Hat") production company; Sylvain Chomet directed it and also did the music

The St. Patrick's Day gag and blackboard bracket make it look like this episode was meant to air March 16 (which is when the NCAA men's basketball tournament bracket will be announced).

Bart's blackboard bracket:
    Round 1
    Marge beat Lenny
    Carl beat Cletus
    Homer beat Grampa
    Willie beat Bumblebee Man
    Bart beat Ned
    Moe beat Cookie
    Lisa beat Otto
    Jasper beat Apu
    Quarter-Finals
    Marge beat Carl
    Homer beat Willie
    Bart beat Moe
    Jasper beat Lisa
    Semi-Finals
    Homer beat Marge
    Jasper beat Bart

The Falconry Club existed every year from 1958 to 1968 (and were 1958 state champions); only the photographs from 1965 and later are in color.
    Presumably, this is a reference to the switchover from predominantly black-and-white to predominantly color TV broadcasting in the USA in the mid-1960s (although I for one consider the fall of 1966 the main switchover point).

"Vi estas vera" is Esperanto for "You are true." "Mi tre sonica" means "I am very (something)."

Disco Stu says he has "bling"; isn't that a post-disco term?

Lisa has friends?

Was that Comic Book Guy's wife standing next to him? At least Manjula gets to say something when she appears...

So much for "they can't spend too much time at Springfield Elementary without Mrs. Krabappel."

Diggs's cast is a mixture of fictional (e.g. Phineas Fogg, Cthulhu) and real (e.g. Alan Turing, John Swartzwelder) beings (and non-beings; The Tardis signed it as well).

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    Finally, @Stupid Idiot nice job with the captions next to the ratings. I can't remember which episode but one season 25 episode had the 3/5 rating say "Best of season 25 so far." That was not fair at all.
    Given how awful this season has been I'd say that's actually pretty accurate.

23. Thumbs Up To This Post by: LukeMM95

maybe a little rustic CousinMerl's Avatar

This was an alright episode; not great and not bad either, just alright. The friendship between Bart and Diggs (voiced by Daniel Radcliffe) was interesting, mainly since it turned out Diggs is quite a wierd one and has mental problems and Bart having a somewhat hard time getting a grasp of it all and still wanting to have him as a friend (I'll add that the falconry angle was pretty good and made it a bit more unique in a way). There were a few amusing jokes as well as some lame ones, but at least the story was interesting. I didn't like Homer being an obnoxious jerkass who was constantly pestering Bart about the $20 he lent to the boy and when finally getting the money back from Bart (hospitalized for eating that dead frog filled with toxic contents to get the money) he has forgotten about it & the sad moments with Bart (like him walking besides the school with the falcon & the end with Diggs leaving) getting quickly interrupted/cut short were annoying.

Anyway, it's an okay episode at best with an interesting basis for the meat of the story (Bart and Diggs); it wasn't pulled off as well as it could have, but it was serviceable and held the episode together somewhat well. I think that what made it work as well as it did despite it's shortcomings is because of Daniel Radcliffe's voicework; he made Diggs feels believable as a Simpsons character (and speaking of Diggs, I really liked that they opted for him to be older and didn't have him be Bart's age because then the voice would have sounded off like with so many modern era instances of an adult voicing a kid character). Overall, I think a middling rating fits this episode like a falconry glove.

3/5

This episode was a perfect blend of humor and drama. Diggs was an interesting character and I liked how they tackled the plot in a rather realistic way (having Bart being confused rather than being in denial about his new friend's mental illness). Definitely a 5/5 episode.

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: BrokenBox

What a very odd episode. I quite liked the characterisations, and I thought the treatment of Bart and Diggs' relationship was one of the strongest points of the episode, but (apart from the Selma on the beach gag) I'm struggling to think of any good jokes (and quite a few of the bad jokes went on much too long), and the storytelling got a bit muddy at times. It felt like the writers were trying to apply the Reality Ensues trope but didn't have the confidence to see it all the way through. That'll definitely need a rewatch, but I thought the attempt at Bart and Diggs' relationship being done sort-of realistically deserved praise as an experiment. 3/5 for now
    Season 27 Ratings
    Awful, probably

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nah. Another "family member x meets a new friend". Jokes weren't particularly good or memorable, and plot just went by. Not a bad episode, just boring. 2/5

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This was a pretty weak episode, it was slightly better than i thought it would be considering it wasent as far-out-of-the-world i thought it would be, not horrible but nothing very good nonetheless. There was a lot of filler i wasent a fan of but generally it was simply extremely medicore. 2/5

Is it just me, or does Milhouse's voice sound a bit lower now since ten years ago?

The broccoli bit, and the "Beach Closed Forever" bits I DID find amusing. I also liked the fake "John Swartzwelder" signature on Diggs's cast.
    Other than that, it was somewhat bland and kind of forgettable at times, like many modern Simpsons episodes are.
    And it also featured the standard post-1992 closing credits theme at the end! (I mention this because this doesn't happen very often on the latest seasons...)
    Last edited by wiley207; 03-10-2014 at 12:45 PM.

Blog Entries

So this week we got the pleasure of getting two bad episodes in a row. Oh joy.

The couch gag was actually pretty cool, the only problem being, it went on for too long. Why do the Simpsons team keep doing this? But I did really like the animation. I think it made the crappy animation in both these episodes look worse. Easily the best part of the episode. Then the "story" begins. The church scene is okay. A couple of lines actually made me chuckle. But I still hate how now the characters just say things at random in the middle of mass without anyone telling them to shut up. In fact it felt like Lovejoy and the Simpsons were in a room of mannequins at one point. But things were looking okay until Homer started acting like a dick again. Seriously why would Homer be so concerned about Bart owing him $20? Bart always nabs his cash. So eventually Bart manages to get the cash buy eating a frog, which ends up sending him to hospital. And Homer shows no remorse whatsoever. Oh and now everyone in the school isolates Bart because he ate a dead frog. Why? I know they thought it was gross but the kids do gross things all the time. And why would Milhouse abandon him?

Then we meet Diggs. A kid who's into falconry and is crazy. That about it for his "character". I guess he could be worse. Being voiced by Radcliffe, I actually thought they'd make a bunch of Harry Potter references. Honestly though after seeing the episode I kind of wish they did because this episode is BOOOOORRRING. The second act is just Bart and Diggs doing falconry stuff and the occasional cutback to Homer doing something retarded. And non of its funny. Also I think Bart could have an interest in falconry but the way it's portrayed is so poorly done. Bart just goes along with all of Diggs pretentious falconry ways without question. Classic Bart would have gotten bored of the guy a few minutes after meeting him. It's made even worse when Milhouse comes back to Bart, talks for like 5 seconds and Bart tells him to shut up. And then Diggs jumps off a tree.

So Diggs is crazy and is going to a mental institute. I was on the edge of my seat. Diggs and Bart do...something at the falconry contest. We see Comic Book Guy and Mr Burns and that's about it. Oh and the family eat duck for dinner. The End. 1/5
    Season 1: The humble beginnings -- Seasons 2-8: The classic era -- Season 9: The first season where noticeable flaws began to appear -- Season 10: The last decent season -- Season 11: The first BAD season -- Season 12: The last season with episodes worth watching -- Seasons 13-Present: Zombie Simpsons

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

This felt very experimental. I wished they'd have rushed into the main plot quicker so they could have expanded on the twist of Diggs being crazy. I liked it a lot but Diggs just vanished too quickly.
    Loved Homers "WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING" (to the dog sitting) and Diggs got some nice lines.
    I also, surprisingly, loved the sweet ending with Milhouse.
    Subplots suck, this proves it even more.

4 for the poll.
    Last edited by Elliot76; 03-10-2014 at 02:49 PM.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

Pretty average episode that will probably be forgotten, atleast by me. I liked the animation of the couch gag, seems that yet again most attention went into it. Diggs was suprisingly a pretty good one time character, but they could've shown more of his mental illness and like some others said they could've rushed into the mainplot quicker. The beginning with the church scene seems like pointless filler, Homer annoying Bart for 20 bucks became boring quite fast, and Bart eating a frog for so little money... you'd think he would be smarter than that. Pointless long filler untill the main plot with Diggs start, while it could've easily been made a lot shorter. The ending was pretty sweet.

My favorite jokes were mostly with Homer, like how he has a conversation with the eagle why he didn't like the ''Eagles vs Falcons'' game. And when Bart said something like ''I've found a new friend, a bit strange and older than me'' with Homer responding ''You found your Moe Szyslack!''.

Also the eagle was a great one-time animal, gotta love his relationship with Homer. Easily the best scene of the episode

Overall a decent Bart-centered episode, but no standout in this season. I'll be generous and give it a 3/5
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

Thread Information