Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: General DVD discussion.

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

Aren't the Beavis & Butthead DVDs missing a lot of material?
    UP AND ATOM!

Blog Entries

the current sets are just re packaged Mike Judge collections, with the 2011 revival season and movie thrown in. The Mike Judge collections only have episodes that Judge approved of releasing, so there are many episodes missing, especially from earlier in the shows run. Also there are many edits and scenes missing, Judge attributes this to the master tapes being edited by MTV due to complaints, so much so that Judge believes the original unedited episodes may no longer exist(aside from various fan recordings which are available on the internet). Also only select music videos are included, and they aren't interwoven in the episodes like they were when they aired on TV, they are more or less "special features".

the 2011 revival season is unedited though and is presented exactly as it aired. I bought the set because it was 25 bucks at Walmart, seemed like a good enough deal despite a lot of content missing from it.
    Fuck Donald Trump. #NotMyPresident

Uh, Hugh Jass? Steamed Mr Bergstrom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Squid View Post
    Aren't the Beavis & Butthead DVDs missing a lot of material?
    Kind of, I'm not sure how many episodes aren't on the DVD's but across these DVD's there is a lot so I think the majority is there. Of course the music video's aren't on between the episodes (I actually prefer this as I felt they broke up the episodes too much but they were perfect for MTV) and there is a few music video extra's but in regards to the actual cartoons, there's loads and they're awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by brad little View Post
    the current sets are just re packaged Mike Judge collections, with the 2011 revival season and movie thrown in. The Mike Judge collections only have episodes that Judge approved of releasing, so there are many episodes missing, especially from earlier in the shows run. Also there are many edits and scenes missing, Judge attributes this to the master tapes being edited by MTV due to complaints, so much so that Judge believes the original unedited episodes may no longer exist(aside from various fan recordings which are available on the internet). Also only select music videos are included, and they aren't interwoven in the episodes like they were when they aired on TV, they are more or less "special features".

the 2011 revival season is unedited though and is presented exactly as it aired. I bought the set because it was 25 bucks at Walmart, seemed like a good enough deal despite a lot of content missing from it.
    Pretty much, as I say I'm not sure how many are missing but there is a lot across these DVD's. One thing though, after the gold one I linked above they released another DVD which has been very misleading to a lot of people, it's this one here which is basically the gold box set I linked with the addition of the 2011 series included also (plus the movie which is in both). This isn't the complete collection at all as the title says, it's the Mike Judge Collections that were released previously just with the 2011 series added, this has mislead a lot of people so I wouldn't really go for this.

Brad pretty much nailed it anyway, the 2011 series is exactly as he mentioned too and is spot on, it's actually a really good series. I was concerned about this being released as I wasn't really sure if the show would be how it once was but they really did it so well, they even animated the couch scene's like the old animation and it never lost any of it's magic throughout the show.

However this one here, it's NOT the complete collection as the title implies, just basically the Mike Judge Collections & movie with the addition of the 2011 series discs:

It's best to get the gold box set I mentioned and then the 2011 series separately as it's much better packaging too.

Edit. This review pretty much explains it: https://www.amazon.com/Beavis-Butt-H.../dp/B01N6BLTHY

As others have pointed out the title is deceiving. It is the "complete collection" not a complete series. Basically it contains the previous three volumes of the Mike Judge collections put out years ago, the season that aired on MTV2 back in 2011, as well as the movie Beavis and Butthead do America. It does not have every episode all in broadcast order.

Back before South Park, Family Guy, American Dad, and the spate of current "adult" cartoons, there was Beavis and Butthead. It was basically a show that followed two teenage slackers who were extremely dumb, with ambition to do nothing more than eat nachos, watch TV and join the local delinquent's gang. During their exploits, they managed to terrorize neighbors, classmates, teachers and the general public alike. The show started from a short animation done by Mike Judge, the director of Office Space and the creator of King of the Hill. He did many of the voices on the show as well as coming up with a lot of the content, especially during the music video segments, much of which he ad-libbed. You definitely need a certain type of sense of humor to enjoy the show. Yes, it is very stupid and juvenile humor, and you have to like that kind of humor to enjoy the show. When it comes to the two main characters, it does not pretend to be anything deeper than that. Many times, however, there would be a deeper "meaning" or message behind the jokes, about anything from the state of youth in America at the time, gender discrimination, political correctness etc. It is one of those shows that people either loved or hated with not much of a middle ground.

For each of the original Mike Judge Collections (which comprised of volumes 1-3), they are split into two discs, one for the cartoons and one with videos and extras. Because of licensing and copyright issues they could not play the shows as they aired on TV with the music videos in the show. So they removed the video clips and included the ones they could get a license for on the second disc. It results in an imperfect viewing of the show, but the best we are likely to ever get on DVD. The newer season does have the videos as well as clips of the various MTV reality shows that they are commenting (mostly ripping on) in the shows themselves. Ultimately the show is great, the DVD release is pretty mediocre. It could be a lot better had MTV paid for the rights to all the music videos so they could have put out a complete series with all the episodes as they aired. If they would have done that, this would easily be a 5 star collection. Because it is not that, it is ultimately just okay. The extras in the first three collections include a making of featurette split into 3 parts, some of the various specials they did (like the MTV Thanksgiving Special, the Snoop Dogg special intros for one of the Marathons etc. The last season extras included a Q&A at comic-con between Johnny Knoxville and Mike Judge, more clips of them ripping on Jersey Shore and some promos. The extras are very good, but there is no new material for this collection.
    Only thing is, I feel the show is better without the music video's breaking it up like it did on TV (which was great for MTV but it's nice to watch the show without the interruptions), also in the gold box set I linked above, each set is split between 3 discs, not 2, so you get the 2 discs of episodes and then a bonus disc 3 in each one. A total of 10 discs. For example: Vol. 1 Disc 1, 2 and 3, Vol. 2 Disc 1, 2 and 3, Vol. 3 Disc 1, 2 and 3, then the movie
    Last edited by Steamed Mr Bergstrom; 06-18-2018 at 08:36 AM.

'"Uh, Hugh Jass! D'oh, somebody check the men's room for a Hugh Jass"

OVER 100 FREE AVATARS FOR THE FORUM: http://www.nohomers.net/showthread.p...d-it-s-members

Forum mods have also added these to the Avatar section for you to use, just browse through the pages to see under settings

Thread Information