View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 What we wish we'd see more of from the series.

8 9.20%
  • 4/5 Slightly improved outlook.

23 26.44%
  • 3/5 Pretty much the same as my regular glasses.

32 36.78%
  • 2/5 Blurred vision...

19 21.84%
  • 1/5 No amount of counselling can save this relationship.

5 5.75%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Specs and the City" (SABF06)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Specs and the City" (SABF06)

January 26, 2014: Homer is given some special eyeglasses at work so Mr. Burns can spy on him and the rest of his employees. Homer uses the glasses to spy on Marge, who he learns is seeing a marriage counselor. Meanwhile Bart gets in trouble after refusing to get Nelson a Valentine. Discuss!

Blog Entries

This reminded me of the Futurama episode with the two headed goat I didn't like through roughly the first half. I'm hardly a techno wiz so commentary on google glasses wasn't gonna do much for me anyway. I thought there were some funny moments in the second half. I liked Mr. Burns fleeing from Homer and going back to him at the very end was easily the funniest thing in the episode. The whole therapy thing seemed eh though I did like the montages of Marge before and after. Bart's subplot really left no impact on me. I dunno....generous 3 on first viewing.

Oh, the NFL tie in before the episode was dumb. I actually liked the couch gag at first but Homer in the tree went on too long.

Blog Entries

Bland. 3/5

Couch gag sucked

Why don't they ever use the regular end Credits anymore?

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Pretty unremarkable - I barely laughed or smiled once, but I wasn't irritated by it.

The Valentine's Day video was all right.

Homer describing his sex positions was disturbing and NOT funny!

ACT TWO:

The plot turned mildly interesting when Homer learned he could spy on Marge.

I hated, hated, HATED that joke where Mr. Burns cowered in fear of Homer. I know the character's been ruined for years, but still...

ACT THREE:

I laughed pretty hard at Homer writing his previous therapist as "some jerk."

Neither plot came to a real ending.

Mr. Burns being shocked by Homer and Marge's lovemaking was also pretty funny.

OVERALL:

A season 25 episode by any other name and just another episode on the road to episode 550. 3/5 (C)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was pretty good. I liked the main plot, and I thought the glasses were pretty interesting. The "joke" with Burns was terrible, I agree, but the one at the end was great. I also liked the montages of Tuesday amd Wednesday. The subplot was pretty pointless, though. 4/5

Blog Entries

I'm just watching this now. Let me be the first to say that the couch gag (from Homer climbing the tree onwards) was animated for UK Channel 4 when they acquired the rights to The Simpsons. The final pan out of Springfield's electrics failing revealed the "4" logo....

... from seven years ago!

EDIT: Just watched. Usual Simpsons filler. Laughed at the Milhouse's "Well, if you keep throwing the word around, it loses its meaning", and the Nelson subplot was kinda good. Watchable. Not unremittingly awful. 2.5/5. And I liked the pronunciation of Alias Fakename.
    Last edited by friz; 01-26-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

الذهاب المغيرين kellyanne conway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just checked the DVR, yeah you can definitely see where the "4" is supposed to be in the grid.

Blog Entries

i whacked it to the multiple homer/marge sex scenes. good enough for me. 3/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by handsome_devil View Post
    i whacked it to the multiple homer/marge sex scenes. good enough for me. 3/5.
    Hey, look, handsome's score matched mine this week!

Blog Entries

I wasn't very optimistic about Bart and Nelson's subplot, but a few of the scenes were handled pretty well. It seemed like Brian Kelly was trying to state a point, but it got washed over by retarded writing room regulars. The "Homer has magic glasses" story did nothing for me.

Blog Entries

Will say though, the potentially funny 'Alias Fakename' was ruined by the writers' baffingly inept way to tell it. Homer has to cringily explain it to the audience by saying its real pronunciation.

Banned
    Blog Entries

it was a good episode but they didn't have to suck up to fox to promote their stuff, so homer wears google glasses but gives them up marge to spy on marge only to find out she's been seeking marriage counseling homers mad because marge hasn't been totally honest to him the only part of this that bothered me was why didn't homer just tell her what he found out instead they end it on ? mark, bart has to make valentine cards for his whole class but doesn't want to make one for nelson but dose it anyway which he finds out that nelson is a bigger jerk then he let's on to be so bart rips it up in front of nelson which he forces bart to make him one which he reluctantly agrees upon, my only problem with this is that bart was honest which wasn't necessary in this part of the story also where's the teacher there's no teacher in the class have they found a replacement yet or is there just going to be in open space where that teacher used to be.

I Just Want My Kids Back EthanRunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by friz View Post
    I'm just watching this now. Let me be the first to say that the couch gag (from Homer climbing the tree onwards) was animated for UK Channel 4 when they acquired the rights to The Simpsons. The final pan out of Springfield's electrics failing revealed the "4" logo....

... from seven years ago!
    This really threw me as I was watching, even with the different opening to the sequence, it was weird to watch that as part of an episode and not an intro to a 6pm daily broadcast.

Also the episode itself had so much potential, each moment I thought the show would zag away from the easy Marge Homer story that had no effect on anything, it zigged back on track. Moe's advice, Burns' murder buttons, the entire Plant in augmented reality instead of real reality.
    In addition, why did Squeaky Voice Teen say "I'm Sorry" in the moments between establishing shot and interior of Krusty Burger? That was such a weird addition to nothingness.

Burns running away from Homer was, as stated above, the funniest thing in the episode.

Blog Entries

6.5/10. I felt that the pacing was a bit off toward the really rushed end. I wish the B-plot (which was really short) didn't exist and they instead focused on expanding the main plot. Most jokes were hit for me, and the plot with the enhanced reality and the Homer-Marge thing was spot on. I just didn't like the ending, I felt like we were halfway through the episode by the end of act 3.

EDIT: I will re-watch tomorrow, and maybe I'll change my decision then.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

2/5 - it might have been more interesting had it turned out Marge wasn't really in counseling after all. Also, it might have been more interesting had I not been in pain from hemorrhoids following a massive (as in "the thing's the size of a giant Polish sausage") dump I took that morning following an entire Saturday of constipation (imagine "here it comes, here it comes, this time for sure, dammit, it's stopped up like a cork again" every two hours or so, including pretty much all night). Hey, maybe if the episode had been better, you would have been spared that description.

"Drink & Bet Responsibly?" I am shocked - shocked, I say - to discover that people are betting on the Super Bowl outside of Nevada (and in countries outside of the USA where it is legal). (Office Super Bowl pools notwithstanding, but I don't think that is what is meant by "bet".)

The announcer in the couch opening doesn't say that Super Bowl XLVIII is on Fox; however, the "NFL on Fox Theme" is played over the closing credits.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who takes his Christmas tree down on December 26.

It looks like Springfield had another unseasonably warm Valentine's Day.

It also looks like they've answered the question, "How do they show Bart's classroom without Mrs. Krabappel?"

I think Gyro (the sandwich) is pronounced "YEAR-row", not "YOUR-row".

Written by Brian Kelley
    Directed by Lance Kramer
    No billboard or chalkboard
    Couch: Homer is on the couch ready to watch Super Bowl XLVIII, only to leave it to retrieve a six-pack of beer that Bart threw over an overhead power line
    Directed by Walter Kramer
    Special Guest Voice: Maurice LaMarche, Will Lyman
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV

16. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Ugh. That wasn't even a couch gag. Anyway, a marriage crisis episode that is about a parody of a modern product. I don't think this is go over very well around here. I would have guessed that the episode was more about Marge going to a therapist than the glasses, but it didn't seem like it. Way too much time was spent on the glasses. On top of that, I didn't really believe anything that happened. Marge was out of character; she isn't usually that temperamental (at least when her characterization is good), and I would think that she would consider communication important. It also reminded me of What Animated Woman Want in how Marge seemed to get upset for no reason. Also, why would she wear the glasses to the therapist? Overall, the marriage crisis wasn't well done. The subplot was pretty pointless. Again, they could have cut that out and spent more time on the main plot. There wasn't anything really offensive here, but it wasn't a very good episode. EDIT: There was something I couldn't put my finger on last night that bothered me, but it now occurs to me that Homer just decided to leave things as they are, with Marge going to a therapist every week, instead of trying to improve himself. If you are so unbearable to be around that your wife has to secretly go to a therapist in order to deal with you, then there are some serious problems with the marriage. I can't see a devoted husband (which Homer ultimately is, ostensibly) just accepting that. This adds to the unbelievability of this episode, and it leaves the conflict feeling unresolved. 3/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 01-27-2014 at 06:33 AM.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1: The Zoey Deschanel ad for the Super Bowl before the episode was usual Simpsons commercial filler. Couch gag was okay until they dragged the Homer thing with him grabbing the beer. Liked the animation of the town lights though. The Mr. Burns squeeze ball was funny. Mr Burns giving an expensive nice gift, it's an after Christmas kind of miracle! Oh wait, he's doing this for an evil scheme, it's an actual Christmas miracle! Opening gag a bit much. Jesus line was funny. Firstline clip was weird and meh, along with the Oogle goggles clip. So Homer had the glasses for a month, but didn't start using them to check things around town until February? Makes complete sense. Also, I liked the soup kitchen line. Overall, a watchable act.

Act 2: Hey look, more of Marge being overly mad at Homer for something really minor compared to what he's done in the past. Now isn't that always called for. Yoink! The Nelson plot sounds good on paper, but just wasn't done that memorable. Was Edna in the classroom? All I saw was Wily. Another Maggie shot Mr. Burns reference. Angry Birds fan fiction? Really? Liked Milhouse's word meaning line. Mr. Burns joke was stupid. Overall, another acceptable, but forgettable act.

Act 3: Another marriage crisis plot eh? Lets see...Homer thinks he's a bad husband...check...Marge questions her marriage...check...Homer knows something, but can't tell her....another check, alright, moving on. Nelson's plot was cute and had potential, but again, wasn't done with much excitement to it. Oh, and for the marriage plot, Marge needs counseling to survive, so Homer decides not to tell her, and then the episode just sort of ends. Can't really tell if that was supposed to be a happy ending or a sad ending, but it was definitely an ending...well Mr. Burns was funny at the end.

Overall, a forgettable episode to add to the episode count. Nothing terrible, but nothing that funny.

Overall: a 6.1/10, or a 3/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A 4/5 from me I actually got a good amount of laughs from this episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Blog Entries

EDIT: Dammit, wasn't supposed to post here. Nothing to see here...

Quiet guy who eats everyone Jerry P.'s Avatar

Bart's penis is visible for four frames.

That is all.

22. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam, Shaunbadia

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kept me interested, but nothing of substance... 3/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

The laughs throughout are solid. Agreed couch gag was terrible.

There's just no real conflict. And I did feel particularly depressed after I thought we had gotten out of the Marriage in Trouble theme but then went right back to it. Marge in therapy, riveting.

The Bart and Nelson subplot was odd. It's almost as if you can tell the show is written by people with kids. I'm sure on the commentary we'll get to hear how the idea came from someone who got a letter saying that every child had to have a valentine for every student in class. In the end I almost wish Nelson would've just beaten him up.

I liked Marge's comment to Lisa about pointing out the meaninglessness of things.

3/5

Blog Entries

@handsome_devil can I ask why you often rate modern episodes average scores like 3/5 but always give them an 'F' in your signature?

26. Thumbs Up To This Post by: peyrin

5/5.
    A truly brilliant episode that only someone who's behind the times couldn't appreciate.
    Then again, hardly surprising given that time on this forum seems to have stopped 15 years ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ModernSimpsonsRocks View Post
    5/5.
    A truly brilliant episode that only someone who's behind the times couldn't appreciate.
    Then again, hardly surprising given that time on this forum seems to have stopped 15 years ago.
    Well, explain us all what exactly makes this episode so brilliant then. Make this forum tick again.

Better than Blob, not as good as Steal.

3.5 rounded to 4 for modern standards, 1.5 classic standards.
    how do you put gifs in sigs

Also have they just written out all Edna scenes to show respect or something? Willie was behind the teacher's desk in this episode.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buntain Simpson View Post
    Also have they just written out all Edna scenes to show respect or something? Willie was behind the teacher's desk in this episode.
    I wouldn't believe Edna would cower under a desk in response to Nelson. I don't think she was in the scene in the first place.

Have we even heard the character speak since the actress died?

Blog Entries

I believe she had a line or two at a school function in one episode, maybe Yellow Subterfuge?

Thread Information