View Poll Results: How do you rate"Married to the Blob" (SABF03)?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: A Wonderful Momentous Occassion (Kiki's Delivery Service)

3 3.37%
  • 4/5: The Best Night Ever (Princess Mononoke)

26 29.21%
  • 3/5: Servicable to a point. (Ponyo)

32 35.96%
  • 2/5: Ugh. I don't know. (Howl's Moving Castle)

19 21.35%
  • 1/5: Miyazaki has not made any bad movies. (Spirited Away)

9 10.11%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Married to the Blob" (SABF03)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Rate and Review: "Married to the Blob" (SABF03)

January 12th, 2014: Married to the Blob (SABF03)
    When Comic Book Guy meets a woman writing an autobiographical manga, he seeks Homer's advice on dating.

Blog Entries

before you guys r&r this thing, this video has almost six million views

oh anime fans
    twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotDetector View Post
    Two and a Half Men is no more an "adult show" than "Rocket Power."

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey I'M AN ANIME FAN!

Anywho this was fine, not sure if it was as good as last week but I enjoyed it. I noticed the chalkboard was a reference to last week and they didn't bother getting Jack Black back to voice that one guy...3.5 rounded down.

Oh, and the episode's production code was on the license plate in the Americana restaurant.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    before you guys r&r this thing, this video has almost six million views

oh anime fans
    More than the actual episode!

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

This was an actually really good episode.

The anime sequence was good

3.5/5

Junior Camper

I really, really liked this. Once again, an episode without the "b" story comes out much better.

I laughed and smiled a lot. High fives!

4.5 out of 5

الذهاب المغيرين kellyanne conway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Judas Priest isn't death metal" was a pretty funny callback.

Blog Entries

That was actually pretty damn good. I really liked Kumiko as a character, although they could've developed her a bit more than they did. It was also nice to see Jack Black reprise his role as Milo, which I totally wasn't expecting. And while Stan Lee's cameo wasn't as good as his first one, it did get one thing right: He IS the king of cameos. 4/5 for the sheer fact that it's a Comic Book Guy episode.

Here's hoping that Kumiko becomes a recurring character.
    Quote Originally Posted by pkkao View Post
    I'd reply but I've reached my quota of daily Kid Moe thumbs.

Edit: damn it

I really liked this episode. It was a great example of one of those side-character-expanding episodes that The Simpsons do better than anyone else, in my opinion. It was really nice to see Comic Book Guy get some more depth to his character, even if it was a little stereotypical. Everything made sense, even if their courtship seemed a little rushed. A couple of the Japanese jokes fell flat for me, as they were pretty stereotypical. Also, I'm not 100% clear on the ending. It seemed to imply this episode never happened, but I may be wrong.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Okay first act so far.

Are they really poking fun at the Captain America death SEVEN years after it happened?

I liked Homer using Wolverine's claws to scratch his back.

CBG's song was pretty cringeworthy.

Wow, they REALLY need to remind us when they're bringing back a Zombie Simpsons character? How unmemorable the new show is...

ACT TWO:

I kind of smiled at the Mr. Sparkle reference (but not when they mentioned it the second time).

The Batman and Robin scene was pretty cringeworthy.

Like other Tim Long love stories, what seems interesting gets ruined by poor pacing and lame dialogue.

ACT THREE:

The hallucination scene went on way too long and took up what could have been a better way to advance the plot.

OVERALL:

Yeah, a pretty mediocre episode, but overall, I don't feel that it deserved more than a low 3/5 (C-).
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very confused...did that actually happen? The part at the end where it was shown to be in a comic book made me think it wasn't, and the part with Milduck at the end couldn't have been real. But barring that, the episode wasn't too bad. The conflict was believable, and the weird dream state was pretty nicely done. The song wasn't too bad either. I do wonder why it told the viewers who Milo was and what episode he was from. My intelligence felt insulted there. But it was a good episode overall. Low 4/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    I do wonder why it told the viewers who Milo was and what episode he was from. My intelligence felt insulted there.
    I figured it was just a reference to comics that tell you what issue a specific event happened in.

Blog Entries

I laughed at the "first appeared in Husbands & Knives" though. The rest of the episode was an unmemorable snooze, and man was that anime scene boring. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Yeah, Marvel Comics often had editors notes reminding readers what happened, usually signed something like "Stupendous Stan", which is why this one was signed "Marvelous Matt"

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

This would be a very easy to do change in status quo since the character is just voiced by Tress but my inner cynicism is telling me we won't see her again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's raspberry! View Post
    This would be a very easy to do change in status quo since the character is just voiced by Tress but my inner cynicism is telling me we won't see her again.
    Yeah, you're probably right. Besides seeing her in the background with Comic Book Guy, I doubt she'll actually get any more speaking lines.

Junior Camper

Have they called back the squirrel from the movie before tonight?

Zombies Rise from the Sea

I just have one thing to say right now.

Welcome back @Financial Panther!

Blog Entries

She might become a background character

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bradbradford View Post
    Have they called back the squirrel from the movie before tonight?
    Once, in the opening sequence, I believe.

Junior Camper

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Moe View Post
    Once, in the opening sequence, I believe.
    Thanks!

Presumed dead or on vacation Robbie's Avatar

I enjoyed this episode.

Not bad. A pretty standard love story, but by today's standards, the cohesiveness and flow of the plot was pretty solid and there were a few laughs to be had along the way.
    Signature.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I thought the chalkboard gag was hilarious. I liked the Swedish guy in the last episode, but it did kind of bother me that they called Judas Priest "death metal." But the chalkboard gag completely made up for that. Is this the first time Lisa has played a harp?

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this episode. It started out pretty slowly. I didn't really buy the romance between Comic Book Guy and Kumiko at first, I didn't like the song, and Homer and Marge's role seemed tacked on. However, it picked up in the latter half. I'm not into anime at all, but I quite liked the hallucination, and I thought that was an interesting way to advance the plot. 3/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 06-09-2014 at 09:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Blegh. Komiko and her father were just dull plot devices than people with hopes and dreams; komiko has little personality beyond "she exists, and is a girl" and the blandly stereotypical father's habit of saying r's in place of l's was a little uncomfortable. I hope komiko has a fun time with princess penelope in the dungeon of forgotten wives.

The somewhat-excruciating fallout boy and mr. sparkle callbacks are obnoxious fanservice that increasingly feels like modern simpsons's bread and butter. I tuned out during the song which is probably for the better. The explanations why homer is suddenly best friends with this week's secondary character, which were never really that strong, keep getting weaker. "I can't keep this snide inside" is almost as bad as "I'm insisting on a fisting." The space shuttle being in springfield is yet more evidence it's just los angeles with a different name. I think it's cheap whenever comic book guy is literally called comic book guy (even during his wedding, seriously?) especially when it's so easy to just avoid using names. I'm suddenly nostalgic for season 12.

I thought the miyazaki sequence went on too long (remember that time in last exit to springfield when when lisa paused to stare at each individual yellow submarine reference?) and it's that lame kind of "parody" where it's essentially just simpsons characters in costume and you're supposed to marvel at the simple fact there's a reference being made. Clearly they knew this was the only thing people would remember so they awkwardly tried to justify it by making it the climax which makes for a weird, lazy plot progression (problem -> gets drunk -> problem solved).

But it wasn't all bad! I liked the opening radioactive man scene, can't wait to see those new villains in a bongo comic two years from now. And I chuckled at the squeaky voiced teen dressed up like guy fieri.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    Are they really poking fun at the Captain America death SEVEN years after it happened?
    What? Comic book deaths are super common to the extent even non-nerds know it's a cheap gimmick. Robin and spider-man both died within this episode's production cycle.

Blog Entries

I'll give it an extra point for doing the Studio Ghibli sequence. 2/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Er, some nice animation, but the story was downhill after the Radioactiveman "Death" scenes.

All in all, a 3/5.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zartok-35 View Post
    I'll give it an extra point for doing the Studio Ghibli sequence. 2/5
    which... wasn't funny at all and just reference after reference with no jokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Insomnia

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iraq lobster View Post
    which... wasn't funny at all and just reference after reference with no jokes.
    Yes, it was completely unfunny, but I just can't bring myself to hate anything related to Studio Ghibli.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

I didn't think it was too bad and I laughed quite a bit. The plot wasn't anything new or special, but there were a lot of continuity nods and the animation was great. Last week was great, tonight was good, hopefully it picks up from here. One question though, how come Milo from "Husbands and Knives" was voiced by Maurice LaMarche as opposed to Jack Black? Is Jack Black washed up now or something? It's not a complaint, just curious. I think it deserves a 4/5, B+

Thread Information