View Poll Results: How do you rate "Steal This Episode" (SABF05)?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Demonoid

42 35.59%
  • 4/5: The Pirate Bay

47 39.83%
  • 3/5: Your average file sharing site

18 15.25%
  • 2/5: Chinese bootleggers

4 3.39%
  • 1/5: FBI sting site

7 5.93%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Steal This Episode" (SABF05)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Zombies Rise from the Sea

Rate and Review: "Steal This Episode" (SABF05)

January 5th, 2014: Steal This Episode (SABF05)
    When Bart teaches Homer to download pirated movies, he is thrilled until he gets caught.

By the end of act 1, I predicted this was a Matt Selman episode. Because it was actually really topical, promising and good. AND no couch gag. Sure enough, I was right. It's infuriating how obviously better his episodes are. He needs to take over full-time.

Lots of genuine laughs tonight. Not a perfect episode, but by FAR the best of the season.
    Signature.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

This entire season sucks. Not sure whether to like or hate this episode.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow this one actually had laughs! The first act was thoroughly enjoyable even! I liked the treehouse better but this was pretty good, certainly best regular episode of the season so far. 3.5 rounded up.

Blog Entries

Easily the best of the season so far. I laughed and enjoyed it from beginning to end. It even had some heart to it, which I didn't expect. Great satire 5/5

Blog Entries

Pretty blah. The satire was pretty stale, and the cameos weren't very funny. The Martinsville cup gag had me laughing, especially as how it played over the credits. 3/5
    Last edited by tormented; 01-05-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, this one was proof the writers seemed to have a lot of fun making it, plus with wtso's woes this seemed funnier than it should have been. I'll be nice an give this a 5/5, plus it was nice to have some actual drama with Marge being the snitch and Homer finding out. The only downer was once the contracts to make a movie were shoved in Homer's face, the ending became too predictable.

4.5/5 rounded up to 5. Best episode this season.

EDIT: Yes, D'ohmer, I give 5's to modern episodes.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

I liked the watercooler discussion at the beginning, as it has reminded me of real life conversations in the past.

I seriously cringed at the part where Homer was talking to his penis. (Yes, that really happened.)

I somewhat liked the act break line, even though that "commercial" joke has been done to death at this point.

ACT TWO:

I liked how the "pirating" branch of the FBI office was the biggest door and had a really intricate design.

Didn't really care for the Judd Apatow/Leslie Mann cameo.

Even though Homer is going to jail for the billionth time, I actually feel oddly compelled to watch more.

ACT THREE:

Homer trying to escape the prison bus after it fell was a really flat bit, then it went ooon and on.

I laughed pretty hard at the Swedish guy dancing to the death metal. The animation was just hysterical!

The resolution was pretty funny as well, with his story being loved by the Hollywood phonies.

OVERALL:

Wow, this was the best Selman episode in a LONG time! The first episode of the season that I truly enjoyed, and I actually have a desire to rewatch. 4/5 (B+)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Curiouser and curiouser MindQuad's Avatar

Holy shit that was horrible. What the fuck happened to this show. That was some of the worst satire I've seen any show try to handle, pretty much ever. The jokes were hacky and terrible. The plot had no stakes whatsoever and the angle of Marge telling on Homer was handled so awkwardly. The ending with the celebrities quickly taking his side was also awful. This is one of the worst episodes I've seen in a LONG time.

And maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of classic episodes that I feel so strongly about how poor this was, but christ, it actually made me sad. And the voices, some of the worst voice acting I've heard on this show. Homer is perpetually whiny and Dans voice has a completely different tone to it. Wiggum is all nasally and whiny. Bart sounds like a girl. Marge is painful to the ears.

1/5

for what it's worth I don't watch the show each week, but this seemed like easily one of the worst episodes ever.

Junior Camper

Well it was the first of the season to feel like a coherent episode. And GOB was in it. And I laughed at something but I forget what it was. 3/5 I guess.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not bad. But I found it hard to believe that absolutely nobody knew anything about movie piracy, which has been a thing for years. Nobody in Springfield has ever downloaded a movie or a video or anything? That kind of ate at me. The NASCAR thing was hilarious, though; very nicely done there. For the most part, the episode was hovering around a 4/5 until the end. Homer...somehow got everybody on his side. I still don't understand how what he said could've come across as the least bit emotional and have the ability to change everybody's views just like that. Yeah, they might've been stretched for time, but I still found it pretty unrealistic.

3/5
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 01-05-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

good episode

Blog Entries

yeah this wasnt perfect, but it was actually very focused and cinematic. handful of good laughs (still had meh gags like the crying meatballs) but overall was just fun.

I actually think the conclusion was great too. also that scene with homer in the prison bus was scary

Blog Entries

Brilliant episode. 4.5/5 compared to modern Simpson standards. Man, this was a good episode. "Judge Apatow" got the biggest laugh from me. And Marge's letter is brilliant too. As were all the background gags. And, not only that, they didn't linger on the background gags. Matt Selman knows how to respect his audience not to forcefeed the explanation to the joke. Best episode since Holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by simpsonsbart View Post
    About milk, remember that this word has several meanings...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Homer...somehow got everybody on his side. I still don't understand how what he said could've come across as the least bit emotional and have the ability to change everybody's views just like that. Yeah, they might've been stretched for time, but I still found it pretty unrealistic.
    It wasn't what he said, it was the fact he was likeable in all possible movie-goer demographics, and the life rights would make a good movie.

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Right, but how was he likable in all four demographics?

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patches O'houlihan View Post
    4.5/5 rounded up to 5. Best episode this season.
    Out of curiosity, what would you give this by classic era standards?

Blog Entries

Matt Selman knocks another one out! And he got Matt Nastuk to do a really good job on this too, especially with the timing. I was surprised by the amount of fluid animation I saw tonight.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
    By the end of act 1, I predicted this was a Matt Selman episode. Because it was actually really topical, promising and good. AND no couch gag. Sure enough, I was right. It's infuriating how obviously better his episodes are. He needs to take over full-time.

Lots of genuine laughs tonight. Not a perfect episode, but by FAR the best of the season.
    Matt Selman's awesome. He really needs to take over the show. By this season's standards this one deserves a 5/5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Irvine View Post
    Out of curiosity, what would you give this by classic era standards?
    It's hard to say because the style of S25 is worlds apart from S7, so if this aired in S7 I'd be confused as hell, but for argument's sake, I'd give it a 3.

21. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Irvine

Blog Entries

who directed the animation? felt lauren macmullen-esque

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Parker View Post
    Matt Selman's awesome. He really needs to take over the show. By this season's standards this one deserves a 5/5
    I would have nothing against him taking over, but he only looks 'good' because he does 2 episodes a season and would likely be burned out after a couple of seasons.

I thought this episode was a real dud. I may have to go back and rewatch it, but I found much of its content unfunny and irritating. Maybe it's because I found the satire to be obvious and smug, or maybe it's because the topic wasn't handled as deftly as it could be. It seemed to be mostly "Hey, isn't Hollywood greedy? And don't they have the government in their pockets? And doesn't the FBI have more important things to do than catch copywrite infringers?" Even the brief cameo by Judas Priest couldn't save this episode for me, and I love Priest. To its credit, the writers clearly understood the characters while writing this, especially Marge. Her sending a 12-dollar check in because she felt guilty about pirating is such a Marge thing to do. I also liked Homer standing up in church, loudly singing Amazing Grace in order to block out spoilers. The resolution and moral were both kind of interesting, but overall, this episode failed in execution.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    who directed the animation? felt lauren macmullen-esque
    Matt Nastuk, and he was in rare form.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

Giving this a 5 out of 5. Selman, Burns and Nastuk were all in top form.
    Even the voice direction was above par as Julie sounded terrific throughout the entire episode.

If there was a way to pay money for this episode and ONLY this episode for the clear and explicit purpose of supporting Matt Selman and wishing Al Jean would go away, I would gladly do it.
    Tell me where to send my $12 check, Hollywood. Hell, I'll even double it.

(Yes, I'm aware I can purchase individual episodes on Amazon, PSN and other services... and I often have... but those purchases don't say Selman is great and I'm tired of Jean half-assing things.)

Unfortunately, Al Jean returns next week... and he's bringing Tim Long with him. Noooooooooooooooooooo.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Yup, everyone on staff seems to have given a shit tonight!

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Also, to add even more irony to this episode, this one marks the first time since season 22 that I've had an actual desire to rewatch an episode... and I'll probably go on one of those websites this episode protests...

Provided Hulu doesn't crap out on me.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

4/5 - this was a surprisingly good episode, considering that it didn't really have a B story (I suppose Homer going to the theater was the B story, similar to Homer and the trampoline in "Bart's Inner Child" in that the B story exists only as a setup for the main plot).

Including this episode, Fox had eight Sundays where nationwide NFL coverage was scheduled to run until 8 PM followed by a Simpsons episode; all eight Simpsons episodes started on time (i.e. there were no "long-running games" that caused the show to start late).
    This is the first time in three years that this has happened (and the first since the NFL moved the start of the second game from 4:15 Eastern to 4:25).

The movie was not at the Springfield Googleplex.

Also playing along with Radioactive Man Re-Rises:
    Zero Dark Thirty-One
    Audiobook, The Movie
    The #Hashtag Games
    The Troll Twins of Underbridge Academy 3, Part 1
    Life is Funny

Did Bart ever see the original Radioactive Man movie? (Maybe he downloaded it and just never told Homer?)

The voiceover says the race is the "2011 Martinsville Cup." This was the 2011 Goody's Fast Relief 500, which took place April 3, 2011. (One way you can tell: Jeff Gordon's #24 car has the special "Drive to End Hunger" paint scheme.) In case you are interested, Kevin Harvick (#29) won.
    This was a Fox-broadcast race; why didn't they include the original "play-by-play" for it? I half-expected to hear "Boogity Boogity Boogity."
    Also, there was no credit for the use of the race coverage.

Wait, don't tell me, let me guess: when this episode comes out on whatever video methods are mainstream at the time, the commentary will include a mention that "there is supposed to be a commercial here" at the first ad break.

Marge's stationery says, "From the kitchen table of Marge Simpson," as opposed to, "From the mind of Marge."

What makes Homer's "pirate theater" that much better than regular theaters? There is still a crowd there.

Homer is charged with violating "Title 17 of the U.S. Copyright Act." In fact, the Copyright Act is Title 17 of the United States Code (the "list of federal laws").

Homer is told that the only place where he will be watching movies for free is in jail. Recent Simpsons and Futurama video releases include a notice at the end of each episode that says that they can't be shown in prisons! (The disclaimer goes back to at least 2001 in Europe, since it appears on the Futurama Season 1 Region 2 DVD.)

Homer committed a federal crime, yet he's being sent to a state penitentiary.

Judd Apatow says that he saw a bootleg version of The 40-Year-Old Virgin that left off his director's commentary and the blooper reel. In fact, a number of movies (for example, Les Miserables) have "rental versions" where extras like these are not included.

What's wrong with a bargain matinee? That's how I saw The Simpsons Movie in theaters on opening day (twice).

The Executive Producer credit is before the final ad break? What is this, a Seth MacFarlane show?

Written by J. Stewart Burns
    Directed by Matthew Nastuk
    No billboard, chalkboard, or couch opening
    Special Guest Voice: Judd Apatow, Will Arnett, Rob Halford, Leslie Mann, Kevin Michael Richardson, Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, Channing Tatum
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dunno about around the country, but this episode did not start on time here. It was at or just after 8:05. It's true the OT and not the actual game caused the delay though.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

I had low expectations for this episode due to all the guest stars, but they didn't appear very much, so it's not that big of a deal. I missed an important part, though, so I'm not completely sure what happened. The plot seemed unfocused at times, atlhough there were no illogical twists or anything, as far as I can tell. It's just that too much stuff happened. There wasn't a lot of stuff I didn't like, though, and it was somewhat engaging. 5/10

Thread Information