View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 A Christmas Miracle

3 3.23%
  • 4/5 Put Me in the Spirit of the Season

14 15.05%
  • 3/5 Charmingly Inoffensive Effort

17 18.28%
  • 2/5 Just Another Mediocre Holiday

32 34.41%
  • 1/5 Big Bag of Coal

27 29.03%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "White Christmas Blues" (SABF01)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "White Christmas Blues" (SABF01)

December 15, 2013: When Springfield becomes flooded with tourists after the Nuclear Plant causes snowfall Marge opens up the house to boarders. Discuss!

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/YeardleySmith/st...70723825500160
    https://twitter.com/YeardleySmith/st...71246469337089
    https://twitter.com/YeardleySmith/st...71632580182016

I guess this was the episode she was talking about.

Anyway this was incredibly boring, I didn't laugh once, 1/5. A shame that Don Payne's final episode was this unremarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Junior Camper

Horrible
    1/5

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

One of the best first acts in YEARS!

Seriously - I loved almost every joke (the Slavic guy with the long bumper sticker, Krusty admitting that he never watched and Itchy and Scratchy while sober, The Life of 'Pu, Homer's Baby Jesus Fantasy).

The B&B is a little rushed, with it filling up all of a sudden, but I'm not one to complain when an act is this good. PLEASE DON'T FUCK UP, WRITERS!

ACT TWO:

Not as good as the first act, but I still enjoyed it.

And woah, when did we last see Lovejoy's office?!

ACT THREE:

The jokes were above average for a modern episode, but the writing was sloppy. It would have been nice for the lodgers to actually be established as characters with personalities if they wanted the viewers to feel anything for them.

OVERALL:

Yeah, another "good start, bad ending" episode. 4/5 (B-)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

what a horrible fucking episode. i know i hate every new episode ever, but this literally didn't even attempt to make jokes. embarrasingly awful. like auld said once, i genuinely have to wonder and worry if the writers have brain damage at this point. literally no focus. this shit honestly astounds me. like, bottom 5 episode for sure. i'm dead fucking serious. F-.
    Last edited by Sam; 12-15-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My god...the plot was just all over the place. I could barely follow this episode. It wasn't funny, and what the hell was that Baby Jesus thing? And that video game bookshelf thing lasted way too long. Worst of the season. 1/5

Blog Entries

It was boring, but some funny jokes saved it, i guess.

liked how they used maggie's star outfit.

Marge's voice ruins every one of her scenes, it's that terrible.

2.5/5= 3/5

Classic Rating: .5/5
    Last edited by BrokenBox; 12-15-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

There were 3 separate list jokes that went on too long if you count the license plates over the credits. Yeah I didn't really like this one either. Very jumbled at times, only a few things I kinda liked like Grampa on piano. 2/5 I guess...

Blog Entries

I just don't get why the crew would take pay cuts to keep the show going when it's obvious they don't give a rats ass about the bad quality.

Blog Entries

because pay cut or not it's still easy money

Definitely in the bottom half of their Christmas episodes, although it did have some good points. The idea of exploiting the snow for money made sense for the town, and there were some nice jokes in there, like the Octoplets valet parking cars. But, this episode was way, way too disjointed. If it were stretched out to an hour or more, it probably would have been good, but it focused on way too many plots. The idea of most of the Christmas episodes it that they focus on one character or conflict, whether it's Homer becoming the nicest guy in town, or Bart shoplifting a game. This had some real potential to be a good episode, if they just took one of the plots and ran with it. Instead, it shifted focus from the town as a whole, to Marge, to Lovejoy, to Lisa, and ended up only somewhat resolving Marge and Lisa's plots. Plus. that ending was far too abrupt. This might be their worst Christmas episode yet.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Oh dear...

It's pretty much average for the season but I couldn't really summerize the episode...Marge takes in boarders, they become a bit overwhelming and then they sing carrols to make up for it...and that's it?. I missedthe first 3 or 4 minutes but again the plot kicked in pretty much right away which is weird considered it felt rushed.

I laughed out loud at Marge's "My uncle died in your bed! Merry Christmas!" and I chuckled at Lovejoy noticing the doves in his sleeves.

So a preety inoffensive forgettable episode

2/5

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I must be in a weird mood because it was mildly enjoyable. I gave it a 4/5.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    I must be in a weird mood because it was mildly enjoyable. I gave it a 4/5.
    How much is FOX paying you? I want in.

Blog Entries

yeah seriously holy shit jake. this was fucking bad.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartHumbugWorld View Post
    How much is FOX paying you? I want in.
    Well, I 'was' at the Simpsons home because you can see my car in the yard (the red Mini Cooper). :P

My rating came from me actually feeling bad for the characters in this, not because the of funny (or, lack of funny). The best joke was "My uncle died in that bed!".

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

This episode made Kill Gil Volumes 1 and 2 look like Marge Be Not Proud

I rewatched it on DVR and it still sucks. Sometimes I'll rewatch an episode and I enjoy it more the second time around, but I turned it off halfway through. I originally gave it a D+ but I love my grade to a D-. My grades for all the Christmas Episodes:

Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire: B
    Marge Be Not Proud: A
    Miracle on Evergreen Terrace: C+
    Grift of the Magi: C+
    Skinner's Sense of Snow: C+
    She of Little Faith: B
    Tis the Fifteenth Season: A
    Simpsons Christmas Stories: C
    Kill Gil Volumes 1 and 2: C-
    The Fight Before Christmas: B-
    Holidays of Future Passed: A
    White Christmas Blues: D-
    Last edited by Ralphie Parker; 12-16-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

I'm drowning... DROWNING in list jokes.
    These evil things need to be ABOLISHED from the series.
    They aren't funny.

The only message I got from this episode is that the writers include them to make themselves feel clever and witty... not because they actually are.
    You can actually draw a parallel between them and Lisa's gifts to her family... which were also done to make her feel better about herself. Not because she knew they'd be appreciated.

Simpsons writers... STOP being Lisa. You're not Lisa. And you never will be Lisa. Although if Yeardley wrote an episode, she'd at least come the closest.

The SABF episodes have not started out well.

Junior Camper

It really is unbelievable how bad this show's gotten.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

Lame, boring, unmemorable, predictable for it to be this episode. Only things saving this from like a 0/5 is the opening and Grampa on the piano.

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

This was quite disappointing. The plot was boring and messy, Marge was terribly characterized (and since when is she creeped out by religion?), and the whole premise of the episode was ridiculous (global warming caused snow to not fall anywhere in the United States except for Springfield? I guess Springfield is the only place in the entire country that has a nuclear power plant, and that climate change now means that everywhere will have the same weather at the same time, and it will always be hot, and this extremely significant change in the climate will happen very suddenly). 2/10
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 06-08-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

That baby jesus thing was embarassingly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by zachbigmac View Post
    @Swoony your just a poser and dont tell me
    your not cause i can read you like a fucking book.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I suppose this proves I can't be satisfied with anything. If an episode's too wacky-tobacky like so many have been in recent years, I reject it. If an episode is too boring and uneventful like White Christmas Blues, I reject it as well. This had the slow pace of an S1 episode, coupled with a smattering of silly Christmas parodies not unlike the list jokes from S16 onward and the unusual characterization most associated with the likes of S11. There wasn't anything terribly offensive, but it reminded me of A Tree Grows in Springfield or, oddly, The Seemingly Never-Ending Story. There's a somber sermon with the Rev, a goofy tie-in to Life of Pi (ha-ha, Apu's from India, I get it!), and the sub-plot with the boarders is well-trodden ground thanks to S16's The Heartbroke Kid. Oh well.

Blog Entries

Maybe it's because I watched this right after an even worse Family Guy episode, but I actually enjoyed this. Yes, it was disjointed as Hell, and yes, I only got one actual laugh from it (Flanders coming by to explain the true meaning of Christmas only to casually fuck off the second Homer yelled "Shut up Flanders") but I dunno...it was...man, I can't think of the word that sums up why I enjoyed this...I guess maybe it's because it was a calm episode with nothing really going on in it, which is kinda nice when it's 4 AM and you don't really feel like focusing on something that has a well structured plot.

4/5, knocking a point off because that joke with the DVD titles went on too long.

Oh, I almost forgot, I did laugh at Marge saying "My uncle died in your bed". Abe fishing for tips made me smile, and the intro was cute, but other than that and the Flanders bit I already mentioned, nothing really noteworthy.
    How to remaster

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Really excellent. I thought it was funny at different points throughout, i liked the story, i liked the freezeframe jokes, i liked its pace. The only problem is that Bob's Burgers was a lot better.

B- - 7/10
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchanezzar View Post
    The only problem is that Bob's Burgers was a lot better.
    In fairness, Bob's Burgers is fairly consistent in being better than The Simpsons these days.

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1: Opening cool, but kind of poorly animated. Not sure if just because I stayed up all night last night, but I pretty much zoned out this entire act. The Carolers, dog poop, and dead jokes sucked. The Jesus hotel thing was just...a thing. No comment.

Act 2: Frosty the Hitman long and unfunny. Church scene was just weird. Why were people cheering? Rod and Todd seizure was cringy. Lisa's line at the end was awful. Completely useless act, why the fuck did I decide to watch this instead of studying for my finals?

Act 3: Out of towners completely generic characters. Just background characters with accents from the people in Coming to Homerica. Christmas special unfunny. Kiosk girl unfunny. Why is everyone complaining to Marge about a place they're staying for a few days that she allowed them to sleep in? The weed line was the best line of the entire episode. Following lines by Homer bad. Really question Lisa's nonsensical gifts to Homer and Bart, especially at this point in the series, but it's gives the episode an actual plot, so fuck it. Flanders line was funny. Lisa bought Bart a fucking tablet? Can't remember at all the lesson they learned together. Can't remember the lesson the Wisconsin people apparently learned either. Carol jokes sucked. License plate jokes at the credits were just random and unfunny.

Overall, I just don't give a shit. Maybe it's just because I'm tired as hell, but I have absolutely no freaking clue what this episode was trying to accomplish. Was it just the general message of Christmas, enjoying others company, making jokes of the holiday, I can't remember, I already forgot the entire episode by now. A completely disposable episode, possibly the worst Christmas episode from the show.

Overall: 4.6/10, 2/5 for the poll. And now, I sleep.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunbadia View Post
    In fairness, Bob's Burgers is fairly consistent in being better than The Simpsons these days.
    i'm nothing if not fair.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - I don't see why there's so much hate for it

Written by Don Payne
    Directed by Steven Dean Moore
    Billboard: Krusty's Kristmas Karol (with Sideshow Bot Hatchet)
    Chalkboard: I WILL NOT CALL MY TEACHER "PRANCER" AND "VIXEN"
    Couch: "Twas the Couch Before Christmas", with everybody appearing in Victorian-era dress
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor, Chris Edgerly, Maggie Roswell
    Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

In the opening, the school is Springfield Elfamentary

The sign at the "plant" says "93 days until March 28, actual birth of Christ"; in fact, no one knows the exact year, much less month and day,
    on which Jesus was born; also, 93 days before March 28 is December 25.

There was a commercial after the opening; a return to the "three-act" episodes of the past.

The blood in the black-and-white "It's a Wonderful Knife" is red.

The Bongo Comics that Comic Book Guy used to hit Martin had Bongo the rabbit on the cover.

Why didn't Marge just go to Shelbyville to do her shopping?

The boarders wished Marge a merry Christmas on December 26.

Marge says that carols should not have more than one verse, but they end with "Good King Wencenslaus," which makes little sense if you don't sing the whole thing.

The closing theme played over the Gracie Films logo.

The "Endless Christmas Specials":
    The Shark Week Before Christmas
    Boxing Day (with boxing glove)
    Here Comes Snooki Claus
    The Girl with the Santa Tattoo
    A Kardashian Christmas with Kwanzaa by Kanye
    Jingle Bell Spock
    A Zombie Christmas with Bing Crosby, Elvis, and the 1932 All-American Football Team
    Claus Encounters of the Third Kind
    Hitler's Christmas in Hell
    No Country for Fat Old Men
    A Cowardly Noel With Noel Coward
    An Easter Bunny Christmas
    Real World: Bethlehem (Season 3)
    Christmas with The Simpsons {what, no Volume 2?}
    The Dreidel Will Rock
    The Ornament That Wanted to Be an Angel
    Weird All Sings Pringle Bells
    I Saw Mommy Frenching Santa Claus
    The Year With No Christmas Specials