View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Prepare to surface Mr. Moe!

5 6.25%
  • 4/5 We're near our promised destination!

13 16.25%
  • 3/5 We're a little bumpy but staying the course.

29 36.25%
  • 2/5 We have multiple leaks!

16 20.00%
  • 1/5 We're sunk...

17 21.25%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Yellow Subterfuge" (SABF04)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Yellow Subterfuge" (SABF04)

December 8, 2013: When Principal Skinner offers a trip in a submarine as a prize to the best behaved student, and gives everyone a clean slate, Bart gets hope believing even he has a chance as long as he doesn't get into anymore trouble. Meanwhile Lisa tries to assist a cash-strapped Krusty. Discuss!

Blog Entries

kinda all over the place but you know what? i laughed a couple of times. so 3/5 i guess.

and man WHAT is with death in animation domination this year!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
    kinda all over the place but you know what? i laughed a couple of times. so 3/5 i guess.
    My thought's exactly, although the best joke was the lighthouse being blown up, IMO. By the time Skinner's mom was on the floor, this episode lost all focus.

and man WHAT is with death in animation domination this year!?
    They're copying the Walking Dead?

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not too bad. The Krusty subplot was pretty boring, but I liked the main plot, and it was nice to see Agnes used a lot. Man, has her voice changed. 3/5

Blog Entries

yeah it did lose focus with the revenge, really came out of left field. i don't really care anymore though. as long as there's something funny or memorable.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

I liked the Skinner song at the beginning - very Bob's Burgers-esque. I also liked the artwork in that scene - it actually used the overly detailed HD style quite well.

The montage of Bart running to the school to avoid being late was good, too. I liked the "obstacle truck."

I don't really care for Skinner's characterization. I'm glad he's a strict authority figure again, but making him into a power-mad asshole is just as bad as the neutered wimp he's portrayed as most of the time.

ACT TWO:

Despite the flaws, I was mostly entertained by this act. I liked the torpedo gag!

I didn't care for the Jamacian Itchy and Scratchy - Jamacians smoke pot, as if that joke hasn't already been done a million times already!

Skinner's mother is dead! OH, NO! Well, we as an audience know she won't be when the when we return from the commercials.

ACT THREE:

You know what? I feel like I should be complaining more about the plot twist where they try to make Skinner feel like he killed Agnes, but it was kept at such a minimum, that I'm more like "WTF" than outright mad.

The rushed ending with Agnes showing up made me think that an episode exploring the Skinner and Agnes relationship could have been a good idea if done better.

OVERALL:

While it suffers from "good start, bad ending" syndrome, it didn't annoy me quite as much as other episodes this season. I'm gonna give this a 4/5 (B) and call it best of the season so far.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know what to make of this honestly. I think this might be my least favorite episode since the Mary Spuckler double abominations of last season. I think I need to re-watch the first act to see if there was actually anything there I enjoyed. The rest had nothing funny or interesting. The Krusty sub-plot was just boring and the whole revenge thing seemed like a random Scully-esque turn without being even remotely amusing. I'm hesitant to give it a grade at all honestly I'm just left more bewildered than anything. I'm not gonna vote in the poll as of now but if I did I'd give a 1/5.

Seemed promising in the first act. But wow, that went to garbage quickly after. Nothing in the episode felt properly motivated. Skinner being that horrible, Agnes going along with Bart and Homer's plan, Skinner's weird assumption thinking he murdered Agnes, etc. The Krusty storyline was also very random. The Jamaican itchy and scratchy was the only real laugh in the episode.

Sadly, this was all par for the course for this season.
    Signature.

Blog Entries

and yeah whoa an itchy and scratchy that was less than four minutes long.

Blog Entries

4/5

Could have been funnier, but still a solid episode with an entertaining main plot and subplot. And there were some decent laughs.

Pretty good episode, best one so far this season.

I liked that it got going at the first minute, they haven't done that in a long while. I also liked the django theme throughout the episode.

Yvan eht nioj, another obvious callback at an old episode.

Every one was, aside from some flaws, well-characterized. While I can't say there were any bad jokes, not a lot of laughs.

3.5/5

I liked the jamaican theme song rendition.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I didn't like this episode, it was just bad they could of made it better, that whole krusty thing should of been the main story.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I loved it when Milhouse fired the torpedo and he's told it was imaginary and you see behind Homer and Bart a lighthouse being destroyed.

I loved the "Skinner" song. I wish that was playing during the end credits.

Blog Entries

Some good jokes here (Milhouse's torpedo, Itchum and Scratchum Blow) but the plot was such a mess. Bart tries to become a model student?... naw... let's do this revenge thing instead. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

Blog Entries

I was expecting Bart and Homer to hijack the submarine in some wacky farce, so I'm glad that didn't happen. Not that what we got instead was anymore of a natural extension to the story, but whatever. The Jamaican Itchy and Scratchy was terrible. Jamaicans are stereotypically related to pot. What else is new? I hope we get a good "The Simpsums" out of this, to make it worth something.

Chatting Simpsons Since 1993 Brad Lascelle's Avatar

This episode managed to be equally offensive, mind-numbing and unfunny.
    Easily the worst of the season thus far.
    It says something when a Tim Long episode preceded this one and I would gladly take 5 more episodes of that standard before getting another one like this.
    Ugh. I can't even think of a single redeeming quality.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the positive reception for the Itchem & Scratchem Blow.
    Do you guys enjoy heavy-handed stereotype humor that is so blatant that its only comedic element is how over-the-top it is? You want that crap in our Simpsons?

1 out of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Lascelle View Post
    This episode managed to be equally offensive, mind-numbing and unfunny.
    Easily the worst of the season thus far.
    It says something when a Tim Long episode preceded this one and I would gladly take 5 more episodes of that standard before getting another one like this.
    Ugh. I can't even think of a single redeeming quality.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the positive reception for the Itchem & Scratchem Blow.
    Do you guys enjoy heavy-handed stereotype humor that is so blatant that its only comedic element is how over-the-top it is? You want that crap in our Simpsons?

1 out of 5.
    I didn't even think the I&S thing was that funny really. I just thought the adapted reggae theme music was well-done so it deserved some credit.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You want that crap in our Simpsons?
    The show is 50% crap* these days, anyway. It's not like there was a whole lot of good material in this to offset the bad.

*= You percentage of crap my very.

Blog Entries

Well "its only comedic element" is still a comedic element soooo

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - at first I thought about giving it a 2, but it gets the benefit of the doubt because of Itchem & Scratchem and the other foreign Krustys

The episode was rated TV-14, but did not get a "Viewer Discretion Advised" warning.

Scenes take place at school, but Mrs. Krabappel doesn't say anything - a sign of things to come?

The spaghetti didn't have any sauce.

Lisa didn't have any spaghetti on her plate. I don't think she would have minded eating spaghetti that merely touched meatballs. (Presumably, it had meat sauce, but you just couldn't see it...)

Actually, all foreign versions of SpongeBob SquarePants are just dubbed (if necessary) versions of the USA episodes.

The names on Skinner's clipboard:
    Gary Chalmers III
    John Jacob Jingleheimer Chun
    Lewis Clark
    Michael D'Amico
    Rod Flanders
    Todd Flanders
    Isabel Gutierrez
    Ernie Hapablap
    Janey Johnson
    Jimbo Jones
    Tatiana Krolenko
    Sherri Mackleberry
    Terri Mackleberry
    Milhouse van Houten
    Martin Prince
    Wendell Queasly
    Caroline Quimby
    Booker T. Report
    Bort Sampson
    Victor Sangria
    Kearney Senior
    Duranferny Shabazz
    Dolph Shapiro
    Bart Simpson
    Lisa Simpson
    Jaundice Spuckler
    Scabies Spuckler
    Sniffles Spuckler
    Cosine Tangent
    Ralph Wiggum

Some of the names have changed from past episodes - for example, Janey's last name is Henderson in "My Fair Laddy" (and Powell on the merchandise), Wendell's last name was Borton at one point, and Dolph and Kearney's last names are changed as well. However, this is the first time Sherri and Terri's last names have been mentioned.

Written by Joel H. Cohen
    Directed by Bob Anderson
    "Skinner!" (and "Fiddler!") Music by Alf Clausen, Lyrics by Joel H. Cohen
    Billboard: Moe's Tavern / Now Accepting Most Fake IDs
    Chalkboard: I WILL STOP ASKING WHEN SANTA GOES TO THE BATHROOM
    Couch: Everyone is an "Air Dancer" balloon at a Used Couch Lot; Bart cuts Homer free
    Special Guest Voice: Kevin Michael Richardson
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-14-DLV

LYRICS to "Skinner!"
    Skinner - he patrols the school halls
    Skinner - when you spit, he's got the balls
    As you mosey through the school
    ALl the kids say you're so cool
    And you even made Bart Simpson spill his milk
    Skinner, you're the master of your fate

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Act 1: Liked the short couch gag. The Skinner song dream was pretty good. Gravity reference with the astronauts? The clean slate plot looks like it could be interesting. Laughed at Maggie eating gravy with her pacifier. Homer fart joke sucked. Also didn't like the Krusty coke joke. The hell was with that SpongeBob joke? Enjoy seeing Skinner acting like a man again, really rare seeing him like this with all of his appearances with Chalmers and Agnes in recent years. Otto's voice seemed too deep again. Yogurt joke was alright. Really decent act, the story was really focused on here and nothing felt out of place or cringy.

Act 2: Obama sound thing meh (does this count as a guest spot?). The Jamaican Itchy and Scratchy cartoon is possibly the most ballsiest joke the show has done in years. Not sure whether to be offended or laugh at it, so I'll just do both. Liked Milhouse destroying a lighthouse. Again, another really decent act. Actually kind of felt for Bart, and the jokes and story felt really focused here. But then, we see Agnes stabbed.

Act 3: Liked the knocking. Hanging dream sucked. The prank is going kind of far here. Homer sucking the pillow is cute. Liked the serious Irish Krusty. The prank is going really too far here (never really enjoyed fake your death plots). Now we have Skinner actually fine with Agnes being dead which is kind of terrible. We get a weird dream, and then it kind of just ends, like a lot of episodes this Season are doing.

Overall, this episode could've been pretty good, but was put down by a weak 3rd act. The first 2 acts actually seemed pretty decent and had a decent story with Bart trying to be better at school for something, but then still failing at it, but then the show decided to abandon it for a really weak prank and petering out by the end. Still, it was a decent episode and had it's moments, so overall, an alright episode, probably the best of the Season so far.

Overall: 7.8/10, or 4/5 for the poll.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by sledding_11 View Post
    ACT ONE:

I liked the Skinner song at the beginning - very Bob's Burgers-esque. I also liked the artwork in that scene - it actually used the overly detailed HD style quite well.

The montage of Bart running to the school to avoid being late was good, too. I liked the "obstacle truck."

I don't really care for Skinner's characterization. I'm glad he's a strict authority figure again, but making him into a power-mad asshole is just as bad as the neutered wimp he's portrayed as most of the time.

ACT TWO:

Despite the flaws, I was mostly entertained by this act. I liked the torpedo gag!

I didn't care for the Jamacian Itchy and Scratchy - Jamacians smoke pot, as if that joke hasn't already been done a million times already!

Skinner's mother is dead! OH, NO! Well, we as an audience know she won't be when the when we return from the commercials.

ACT THREE:

You know what? I feel like I should be complaining more about the plot twist where they try to make Skinner feel like he killed Agnes, but it was kept at such a minimum, that I'm more like "WTF" than outright mad.

The rushed ending with Agnes showing up made me think that an episode exploring the Skinner and Agnes relationship could have been a good idea if done better.

OVERALL:

While it suffers from "good start, bad ending" syndrome, it didn't annoy me quite as much as other episodes this season. I'm gonna give this a 4/5 (B) and call it best of the season so far.
    I agree with this. It wasn't perfect but it had a few laughs. I'd go as far as to call it the best episode this season so far. B by today's standards, C by classic era standards

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    Special Guest Voice: Kevin Michael Richardson
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Nowadays, Kevin Michael Richardson is doing more voices than Chris Edgerly.

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sucked a 1.5/5 and I'm only giving it that because it was mostly secondary character affairs which Jean doesn't like to do much of nowadays. I only laughed once at Homer telling Skinner not to look in any mirrors while searching for the man who killed his mother and the animation was good in the skinner segment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

I watched the episode and I liked it for the most part, however, seeing how both ideas haven't been done by The Simpsons before, I can see the main plot and sub plot as two separate episodes. Nevertheless it was a good episode, it had humor, and I especially loved the references to Western Cowboy movies. However, they could've spent more time on making the main plot better rather than wasting another idea that they haven't done before for a short subplot, nevertheless, as short as the subplot was, it had a few good moments. How the episode ended was sort of mixed for me. Loved how it ended with a western song, but they could've taken out the subplot and extend Skinner's guilt of "murdering" his mother, and it could had some fun moments after that prank Bart pulled. Instead the ending was rushed.

So I guess I give this episode a 3.5/5, it had a good sense of humor, the plot was good but overall rushed because they tried to stuff two great ideas for two separate episodes into one.

Season 25 so far...

Homerland... 2/5 (Horrible)
    Treehouse of Horror XXIV... 4/5 (Great)
    Four Regrettings and a Funeral... 3/5 (Okay)
    YOLO... 3.5/5 (Okay)
    Labor Pains... 4/5(Great)
    The Kid is All Right... 3/5 (Okay)
    Yellow Subterfuge... 3.5/5 (Okay)

Poor episode with an ridiculous main plot and boring subplot. The main plot went from Bart not being allowed to go on the submarine to Bart and Homer making Skinner think he had killed his mother. It was just a ludicrous idea which did not work.

I have noticed recently, episodes are referring to old episodes more and more. This episode had the 'yvan eht nioj' slogan in the episode, originally used in 'New Kids on The Blecch'.
    When you point your finger at others, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you!

I must admit, the A story was disappointing. I was hoping someone would point out to Bart that in a sense, deserved the pettiness Skinner inflicted on him. The boy's an impish brat who makes Skinner's life a living hell. He should have been taught that right or wrong, if you're a dick to someone, they're going to reciprocate. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to finally understand that antagonizing people will just hurt you in life.. Ah well. I suppose that would've demanded a character change too severe for the negative continuity to contain.

Also, Agnes Skinner... did the writers REALLY think a woman with so much malice that she'd do something that could emotionally break someone would be funny? Frankly, the prank they pulled was one of the darkest things I've seen in TV.

On the plus side, the episode did have a good start and the B story was tolerable. Guess I'll give this one a 1.5/5 rounded to a 2.

I gave it a 3/5 because while I'm already forgetting what the ep was about I laughed out loud a few times, my favorites were Itchum and Scratchum, the Obama soundbites, and when Homer ran in the room and referred to Skinner by the fake name (I forgot that too now...)

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I didn't like the Jamaican Itchy and Scratchy because it is too easy to go to the stereotype of Jamaicans as potheads.

30. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Horrible episode. My least favorite of the season so far. Unlike others i did not even think the Itchy&Scratchy short was amusing it was one of the moments where i came the closets to laughing but it was still nothing special. The whole episode was just weird and boring and unfunny. The subplot was extremely boring and seemed too go nowhere and felt like it was just there, the episode seemed too move from point too point without making much sense. My least favorite part was probably Agnes "death", they basically resolved that plot point within a couple of seconds pretty much killing any apptemt at exitcement. This season reminds me of season 18 with its poor quality so far. Grade: D-
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 12-09-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Thread Information