View Poll Results: How would you rate this episode?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 It's a classic!

8 9.30%
  • 4/5 It's a moderate success!

35 40.70%
  • 3/5 It's passable!

24 27.91%
  • 2/5 It's modern mediocrity!

15 17.44%
  • 1/5 It's garbage!

4 4.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate and Review: "Labor Pains" (RABF19)

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rate and Review: "Labor Pains" (RABF19)

November 17, 2013: While trapped in an elevator Homer helps a woman deliver her baby who she gratefully names Homer Jr. Homer then gets emotionally attached to the little guy. Meanwhile Lisa is recruited to be a cheerleader. Discuss!

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

Heh, I liked the couch gag with the Mayflower being the sailboat painting.

I liked Homer putting bacon into the banana peel.

So, who's apartment are they at, exactly? I'm guessing Lenny's, but it would be nice to get an explanation.

The birth scene was a bit disturbing, with how quick and clean it was. But I guess showing it realistically would be worse.

So, how to Homer and Gretchen know each other's names? Did they even introduce each other?

ACT TWO:

The subplot with Lisa and the cheerleaders is pretty boring and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

How the hell are all those cheerleaders able to fit comfortably in that tiny treehouse?!

The plot twist with Marge thinking Homer is having an affair had potential, but was unfortunately hurt by some really lame dialogue.

ACT THREE:

This act was really bad.

Were the cheerleaders staying with the Simpsons? Even if they're on strike, don't they still have their own houses? Also, the subplot didn't really end.

Wow, for a baby who is maybe a week old, HoJu can do a lot. Stand on his own, and push a stroller on his own? What a fantastic baby!

The ending was kinda sweet, but it didn't really earn it.

OVERALL:

Meh, same old, same old. 3/5 (C)
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another blah episode, probably weaker than last week actually as it had no real laugh out loud moments at all for me. Felt like it was just going through the motions quite a bit. I did like the Itchy and Scratchy and the "ms" as hair during the montage. The new characters had no personality so I really couldn't bring myself to care much about them, not even the baby as cute as the design was. The Milhouse heckling was probably the only good thing about the subplot. 2/5

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

The apartment was Carl's, I think it's the same one as seen in "The Saga of Carl". Really enjoyed tonight's episode. Best of the season. Solid A plot, B plot wasn't as one note as I thought it would be, and there was even a C plot involving the poker games. I liked how the plots would intersect at times, and how Homer didn't even know the B plot was going on until the cheerleading credits. Funny episode, a bit of heart. 4/5

Btw, The Simpsons theme revealed to be a tune Grandpa sang Homer as a kid? Explains why Homer and other family members have hummed the theme in the past.
    UP AND ATOM!

Fails at masonry Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't really feel much in this episode. There wasn't anything really funny in it, and I couldn't feel much emotion. I think Moe Baby Blues took this angle with a lot more humor and emotion. The subplot was nothing special either. Not much else to say. Gretchen was a pretty bland character as well. 2/5.

Blog Entries

Excellent episode. some failed jokes, but the story was very interesting.

Things I liked:
    Homer Jr.
    Itchy & Scratchy short
    Homer playing Tapped Out
    most jokes

Things I didn't like:
    Marge
    some jokes
    Homer Jr being evil

Also where did Marge come from at the zoo?

I noticed Dave Mirkin and Mike Reiss were both producers for this ep.

Rating: 4.5/5 = 5/5

7. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sector #7G

Second best this season. The story was handled well and the hit to miss joke ratio better than the other episodes this season. Fortunately they didn't go down the road of Marge thinking Homer was having an affair and yeah the baby pushing the stroller was stupid. But Homer was surprisingly well written.

3/5

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I had to miss a good chunk of the episode, but I have mixed feelings about what I saw. I'm going to have to watch again soon uninterrupted and, to toss things up a little, I think I'm going to do a podcast review.

A World Without Lawyers HerbertMcHoover's Avatar

2/5 It's modern mediocrity! Wow, that ending was just bad. Lots of jokes fell flat, but I did enjoy the Patty/Selma/Cat Lady cheerleading scene. Lol

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

Better than the past two weeks, but still not that good. Homer taking care of Hoju seemed out of character, considering how much attention he pays to his own kids. I guess he does that out of compassion for Gretchen or something, who, by the way, is kind of a bitch. She basically manipulates Homer into taking care of her baby by implying that her boyfriend left her, even though he is just serving in the military. I also found the scene in the elevator lacking, since you would expect a woman giving birth to be in a bit more pain that that. She barely even screamed (if she did at all. I can't remember). Marge also seemed out of character, as usual. None of her reactions seemed appropriate to me (for example, she seemed like more of a bitch after Homer explained that he delivered the baby in the elevator than when she thought Homer had a baby with another woman). As for the subplot, I didn't care for it at all. More annoying activist Lisa crap. 3/10

Junior Camper

I didn't watch it on accounta boardwalk empire.

13. Thumbs Up To This Post by: dman360

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

this episode was meh and borderline sucked it had some heart to it but every joke (except the Milhouse heckling ones) SUCKED. A 2/5 also that mayflower couchgag or at least the boat was poorly animated. The boat looked SO flat..
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

Blog Entries

The subplot was pretty cringeworthy, but the main plot was excellent. It had the perfect balance of storytelling, humor, emotion, and characterization. I just want to know what they were thinking when they thought of that subplot. 4/5

Blog Entries

I managed to catch a new episode for once because of its late start. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by it, in a "Moe Baby Blues" kind of way. It seems like a surefire way to win the audience's sympathy (at least for me) is to let an asshole take care of a baby. It's actually kind of sad in a way that it would take Homer having to bond with another baby (as opposed to Maggie) to achieve this. They did have "And Maggie Makes Three," which was mostly flashback, but this seems to be the first time we've really seen an emphasis on the paternal, gentle side of Homer's fatherhood. After over 20 years of ups and downs with Homer's attitude, seeing his softer side is very endearing.

The whole dynamic with Homer and Marge was handled pretty well too, as it could have very easily gone into a melodramatic misunderstanding plot for a couple of acts. But they keep it generally brief, letting Marge express some concern and suspicion for a couple of scenes, and then moving on. The return of the woman's boyfriend was a fairly predictable development, but it was one of the few places this story could realistically go. When he did return, it did served as a nice reminder of how odd and messed up the whole situation was to begin with. I definitely could have done without that whole zoo scene, however... The whole "Maggie in peril" angle they did seemed to be raising the stakes for the sake of it, and I feel they could've underlined the Homer/Maggie connection without having to go to those lengths. Maggie, much like Lisa, is a very emotive character, so it wouldn't have taken much time or work to emphasize how she feels about the situation.

Also, nice callback with the Hoju thing. Amazing to think a joke literally from 20 years ago can resurface like this.

I'll give the cheerleader plot a pass, if only because I was really really really worried that it was going to become a "Lisa wants to be a cheerleader" story at first when she was shaking those pompoms on the field. Turning it into a story about a labor dispute and exploitation is very much in Lisa's wheelhouse. It was also interesting to see a character like Lisa interact with a large group of cheerleaders... It's obviously not her kind of crowd, so they served as a nice foil for her.

Joke were really solid overall. Not a single one was particular cringe-worthy and there was a general snappiness overall. Maaaaaybe they went back to the Carl's-poker-party well one too many times, but that's about it.

4/5. Good job, Simpsons.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I heard it was don Payne's last episode but it was good I liked it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

this ones for don Payne everybody thanks for all the memorable episodes.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam, zartok-35

Remember Me As I Was 1010011010 Pilgrims Fed's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dman360 View Post
    I heard it was don Payne's last episode but it was good I liked it.
    There's 1 more episode written by him after this, White Christmas Blues. Will post a full review of this episode tomorrow. All I'll say is, it was bad, really boring, obnoxious, and bad.
    Just because I'm stupider than them, they think they're smarter than me!
    Simpsons Season 27 Ratings:
    Every Man's Dream-4.8/10 Cue Detective-6/10 Puffless-7/10 Halloween of Horror-8.4/10 Treehouse of Horror XXVI-(4.5, 5, 3.5) 4.25/10 Friend With Benefit-5/10 Lisa With An 'S'-5.5/10 Paths of Glory--/10 Barthood--/10 The Girl Code--/10 Teenage Mutant Milk-Caused Hurdles--/10 Much Apu About Something--/10 Gal of Constant Sorrow--/10 Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4--/10 Lisa the Veterinarian--/10 The Marge-ian Chronicles--/10 The Burns Cage--/10 How Lisa Got Her Marge Back--/10 Fland Canyon--/10 Simprovised--/10 To Courier With Love--/10 Orange is the New Yellow--/10
    Futurama Season 7B Ratings:
    2-D Blacktop-7.5/10 Fry and Leela's Big Fling-7.9/10 T.: The Terrestrial-8.2/10 Forty Percent Leadbelly-6.8/10 The Inhuman Torch-8.4/10 Saturday Morning Fun Pit-(9, 7, 8.5) 8.2/10 Calculon 2.0-8.7/10 Assie Come Home-8.5/10 Leela and the Genestalk-7.2/10 Game of Tones-9.2/10 Murder on The Planet Express-9/10 Stench and Stenchibility-8.5/10 Meanwhile-9.5/10
    Jumping the Shark since 1998...
    Alternate Ending Winner of NHC Survivor Season 1

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoKiller View Post
    A 2/5 also that mayflower couchgag or at least the boat was poorly animated. The boat looked SO flat..
    The boat looked flat because it was supposed to look like the sailboat picture above the Simpson family's couch.

Mmmmmmmm, floor pie

3/5 - it looks like something I've seen hundreds of times before (and I know this is probably the (hundreds - 1)st time I've said that).

Written by Don Payne & Mitchell H. Glazer
    Directed by Matthew Faughnan
    Billboard: MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL AT MOE'S - The screen is now clean!
    Blackboard: ROCKTOBER IS NOT FOLLOWED BY BLOWVEMBER
    Couch: Pilgrim Simpsons are driven from England onto the Mayflower (which looks like the boat in the painting over the couch) and sail to Plymouth Couch
    Special Guest Voice: Elisabeth Moss
    Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Chris Edgerly
    Overseas Animation: Akom
    TV Rating: TV-PG-DLSV

Lisa reads "Pretending to Like Football" by Mrs. John Madden. Yes, John Madden is married. (I wonder if she rides on airplanes...)

Carl'a apartment building is at 189 Bridge Street (the address is on the elevator license).

I realize this is the joke, but the man in the elevator was not there when Gretchen got on.

According to the headline on the newspaper, the Springfield Tire Fire started 20 years ago.

Homer is playing "The Simpsons Tapped Out."

Doesn't Springfield play anybody besides Shelbyville in football?

The Gulp & Blow appears - how long has it been since the last time that happened?

"Tumbling Fails with the Springfield Atomettes" is "in memory of Britney Jones."

This isn't the first time a marching band version of the theme has been used at the end, but this one is different from the earlier one.

Blog Entries

I absolutely loved this episode. Seeing an episode like this when you've become accustomed to the show mostly being bullshit now makes it even sadder that Don Payne is dead. Consistently funny throughout with a very nice bit of heart. Can't say I cared much for Homer Jr. trying to get rid of Maggie though. 4/5
    How to remaster

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Chappy1988

Wanting to switch seats The Monorail's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's passable. Some good jokes again, plot was interesting till the end, but Lisa plot was boring as always. 3/5.

The main plot was great, but the subplot was boring.

4/5 best episode this season

Season 25: Homerland 2/5, Treehouse of horror XXIV 3/5, Four regrettings and a funeral 3/5, Yolo 3/5, Labor Pains 4/5

Overall, one of Season 25's best episodes, many things such as the storyline to humor to references of The Simpsons TV show themselves are executed so well... except maybe the subplot. The subplot was okay because it didn't ruin the episode or anything and didn't felt boring at all.

Season 25 so far...
    Homerland... 2/5 (Horrible)
    Treehouse of Horror XXIV... 4/5 (Great)
    Four Regrettings and a Funeral... 3/5 (Okay)
    YOLO... 3.5/5 (Okay)
    Labor Pains... 4/5(Great)

Good episode, there were some good jokes and some good sight gags.

It was good to see the show make fun of Tapped Out and the best joke in the episode was Lisa saying 'How by size, brand, value and don't even suggest race because I don't see that. I just see little people I own' I think the joke was even more funny because it was Lisa saying it.
    When you point your finger at others, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you!

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

I really loved Homer taking care of Homer Jr. That gets a crowning moment of heartwarming.

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Boring episode. Not horrendous but still pretty bad. There were only a few laughs and some chuckles but nothing much more. The new characters were pretty much like the typical Jean-era one-time characters (a bad thing) it was nice too see Itchy And Scratchy again i guess but still very blah. Grade: D

Banned

Just watched this. Surprisingly decent, although the subplot could have been a lot better and there weren't a lot of laughs, while it dragged at times.

3/5, 6/10 C+ is fair.

wanna live like common people Elliot76's Avatar

Main Plot had some fantastic moments and very memorable ones too. Homer seemed great this episode, he was kind and caring yet Marge felt too naggy and urgh, that sub-plot was just god-awful.
    I wish this was an episode with no sub-plot and just focused on Hoju (FANTASTIC reference to classic Simpsons btw).

The tapped-out joke was a great knock to themselves and the guy being in the elevator the whole time was hilarious.

It had some actual decent emotion, some pretty strong laughs and really good pacing but all the inbetween points were just boring.

I didn't enjoy it as much as YOLO but I appreciated what they were trying to do with this episode more so I'll give it a 3.5, 4 for the poll.
    "Maybe there is no moral. Maybe its just a bunch of stuff that happened."
    - The Simpsons

Blog Entries

Suprisingly a very good episode, probably the best of the season so far. Slightly better than Yolo, and about just as good as Homerland.

The main plot was very well done. The newer characters (Gretchen and her husband) were pretty bland but the episode didn't have the time to show more of them, since it needs to focus on Homer, Marge and Homer junior. I also didn't like how the scene in the elevator where she delivered the baby happened very fast, Gretchen didn't even scream or anything and apparently there was no afterbirth left. Aside from that the episode was filled with good and smart jokes, altrough the guy in the elevator felt a little Family Guy'ish. I liked how they brought back an enjoyable Itchy & Scratchy cartoon, and the overall suspense of Homer trying to spend time with another baby. The ending with Maggie giving him her doll was very cute.

The sub plot was okay. It didn't really go anywhere and it ended abruptly, But overall the sub plot brought plenty of laughs, some good Millhouse and Kirk scenes, and Lisa being herself to try and help the cheerleaders from being exploited. I was actually suprised they didn't use a scene where Marge finds all the cheerleaders in her house, and thinks that Homer hired them or something, missed opportunity.

3.5/5, rounded as a 4/5 in the poll, trough its very close. I can always change my mind to round it to a 3/5 with a rewatch

EDIT: Also loved the Tapped Out joke, quick but great. May have been cool to actually see Homer's Springfield trough
    Last edited by Kaine; 11-18-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    Episodes rated best and worst from each season:
    1: Krusty Gets Busted/Homer's Night Out 2: The Way We Was/Bart's Dog Gets an F 3: Colonel Homer/Dog of Death 4: Marge vs. The Monorail/So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show 5: Cape Feare/Bart Gets An Elephant 6: Treehouse of Horror V/Another Simpsons Clip Show 7: Mother Simpson/Homerpalooza 8: You Only Move Twice/The Canine Mutiny 9: Lisa's Sax/The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons 10: Lisa Gets an A/Sunday Cruddy Sunday 11: Behind The Laughter/Beyond Blunderdome 12: Trilogy of Error/The Computer Wore Menace Shoes 13: I Am Furious Yellow/Homer the Moe 14: The Dad Who Knew Too Little/Large Marge 15: The Way We Weren't/Diatribe of a Mad Housewife 16: Thank God Its Doomsday/Mommie Beerest 17: Marge's Son Poisoning/Bonfire of the Manatees 18: Marge Gamer/Revenge is Best Served Three Times 19: Treehouse of Horror XVIII/That 90's Show 20: Gone Maggie Gone/Coming To Homerica 21: O Brother, Where Bart thou?/The Devil Wears Nada 22: Homer Scissorhands/The Fool Monty 23: Holidays of Future Passed/Moe Goes From Rags To Riches 24: Adventures In Baby-Getting/Whiskey Business 25: Brick Like Me/White Christmas Blues 26: Bart's New Friend/The Musk Who Fell to Earth

Season ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 7 > 8 > 2 > 1 > 10 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 12 > 14 > 16 > 20 > 22 > 11 > 17 > 19 > 26 > 25 > 24 > 23 > 18 > 21

Origin account to play The Simpsons Tapped Out: Roccaine

3/5: The episode was fair, but I didn't care for the subplot.
    Remember kids, Kariba is cool!

Thread Information