View Poll Results: How would you rate "Frozen"?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5 Fantastic

8 44.44%
  • 4/5 Ice Cold

7 38.89%
  • 3/5 Alright

2 11.11%
  • 2/5 Freezerburn

0 0%
  • 1/5 Milk with ice cubes in it

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disney's "Frozen"

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

Blog Entries

R&R Disney's "Frozen"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_(2013_film)

Anyone else excited for this movie?

I know I am. It's getting really good reviews so far. Some people are even comparing it to Beauty and the Beast.
    Last edited by Swoony; 12-17-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Looks kinda cute, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Lawrence
    As always, our mission statement remaisn the same
    1. Strive to continue to suck.
    2. More fart jocks.
    3. when at a creative lose for plot points, have characters swear alot.
    4. Nudity.
    5. take time out of our day to laugh of those less fortunate.

Thanks friend.

Greg

Nature's Cruelest Mistake Infinity183's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks to its icy setting, this has the potential to be one of Disney's best-looking features. The two major trailers released in the United States seem to overemphasize the movie's comedy, but the grand visuals, as well as the story itself have the potential make this film a hit. The source material is by the same author behind The Little Mermaid (my favorite Disney Animated Feature), and it could certainly work wonders if done right. However, there are certain elements with this adaptation, so far, that I worry could be over-targeting a casual audience, mainly the presence of TWO love interests, the obligatory comic relief (whose design looks ridiculous; I hope they give him something funny to say), and the inclusion of an evil, greedy villain.

With regard to the former point, sometimes you really don't need the characters to fall in love or express romantic attraction to each other, particularly if it's not integral to the plot; Mulan was very smart in downplaying the relationship between the lead character and Shang just enough to keep the plot relevant while still being essential, and with a story that's supposed to focus on the two sisters, redirecting it towards romance just looks like a lazy shortcut, in my opinion.

In terms of the last concern of mine so far, while villains have often served as the highlight feature of Disney movies in the past, their appeal only works so far as they're absolutely necessary to the drama or conflict. Using them as a mere plot device just dumbs the film down and causes me to not care as much about the story. Films such as Lady and the Tramp, Pinocchio, Dumbo, and The Fox and the Hound proved that Disney can still thrive without having their conflicts single-handedly driven by a primary antagonist, instead focusing on the struggles of the characters themselves and how it affects their close cohorts. If Frozen's source of conflict leans far more towards the Duke of Wesselton's greed than Queen Elsa's guilt, that would prove my case perfectly. As far as I'm concerned, the Duke sure doesn't look seem like a figure as appealing as Ursula, Scar, or Hades, so at this point, I'm hoping he's just a minor throwaway who turns in a few laughs. He should be there to balance the plot, not to monopolize it, as his voice counterpart did in the previous Disney feature.
    Last edited by Infinity183; 11-05-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    My favorite and least favorite episodes from each season:
    S1 - Krusty Gets Busted / The Call of the Simpsons S2 - Lisa's Substitute / The War of the Simpsons S3 - Homer at the Bat / Dog of Death S4 - Marge vs. the Monorail / Whacking Day S5 - Marge on the Lam / Bart Gets an Elephant S6 - Who Shot Mr. Burns?: Part 1 / Another Simpsons Clip Show S7 - Bart on the Road / Homerpalooza S8 - You Only Move Twice / The Twisted World of Marge Simpson S9 - The Joy of Sect / All Singing, All Dancing S10 - Simpsons Bible Stories / Sunday, Cruddy Sunday S11 - Treehouse of Horror X / It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge S12 - Trilogy of Error / Tennis the Menace S13 - Half-Decent Proposal / The Sweetest Apu S14 - Moe Baby Blues / Brake My Wife, Please S15 - The Way We Weren't / Bart-Mangled Banner S16 - Sleeping with the Enemy / Thank God, It's Doomsday S17 - The Girl Who Slept Too Little / Homer's Paternity Coot S18 - 24 Minutes / The Boys of Bummer S19 - Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind / Treehouse of Horror XVIII S20 - Gone, Maggie Gone / Dangerous Curves S21 - O Brother, Where Bart Thou? / The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed S22 - Homer the Father / The Fool Monty S23 - The Book Job / Politically Inept, with Homer Simpson S24 - The Saga of Carl / Love is a Many-Splintered Thing

4. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Nintendo Dance Party! ManiacalRoboKiller's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could be okay still don't care for modern Disney besides Princess & the Frog and Wreck-It Ralph
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Flimpson's Dracula View Post
    Like Seth MacFarlane's addiction to creating terrible new shows, Matt Groening has a problem with concluding a show. He needs therapy.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoKiller View Post
    Could be okay still don't care for modern Disney besides Princess & the Frog and Wreck-It Ralph
    I saw the latter and I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was. I'd eventually like to see the former someday as well.

Blog Entries

looks rather horrid but I kinda want to see it just for the mickey mouse short

9. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Josh Gad snowman has me annoyed but the reviews are pushing me towards it.

Blog Entries

Does anyone besides me like Tangled? That movie was fantastic.

On the other hand I thought Wreck it Ralph was somewhat overrated, yet it was still fun and entertaining.

This seems to borrow heavily from tangled artistically anyway (so i'm happy about that) and if it's anything like tangled comedy wise ill love it.

Friends with Rock Strongo Lance.Uppercut's Avatar
    Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I thoroughly enjoyed Tangled. I'll probably see Frozen sometime down the line; I'm glad the goofy-looking snowman is a bit more downplayed in his character and personality and isn't so much of a wise-cracking mascot wanna-be. The visuals also look quite striking.

I was pretty interested until I saw the annoying looking snowman character. Even saw toys for that same character being sold while I was Disneyland last week and no other characters were being sold for that movie. So my initial hunch was that they seem to be putting a lot stock into him.

Either ways, I'll still give the movie the chance and hope it surprises me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takes_Lifey_Soony View Post
    Does anyone besides me like Tangled? That movie was fantastic.
    Are you kidding me? Tangled is my second all-time favorite movie in the Disney canon besides The Little Mermaid! The visuals are striking, the story smoothly developed, the characters memorable, and even the comedy hits the nail on the head. It's the perfect modern-day adaptation of the classic Disney fairytale, a title which the overrated Princess and the Frog falls short of.

15. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Swoony

Irreverent Humor Throughout Bake's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah this is getting surprisingly better reviews than i'd expected from the initial trailers, so now i'm looking forward to it. also heard that Olaf isn't nearly as annoying as he's being made out to be, and it's a shame he's gotten such a bad rep because I genuinely like Josh Gad and don't want him to become something on-par with Martin Short's fucking robot in Treasure Planet. My biggest complaint is the main female lead using lines like "seriously?" and "wow this is awkward" while nobody else uses semi-modern expressions like that. i hate that shit in these kinds of movies

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takes_Lifey_Soony View Post
    On the other hand I thought Wreck it Ralph was somewhat overrated, yet it was still fun and entertaining.
    Wreck it Ralph needs a sequel. I only had two problems with the first film. 1. The videogame character cameos were very minimal. I mean Disney hyped it up by constantly showing that same scene with them at the bad guys convention in the trailers and having the game characters on the posters. Yet we get about 6 minutes max of seeing our favorite game characters on the big screen. 2. Vanellope and Candy Rush world midway through just dominate the rest of the movie/story. So many possibilities that I know can't be fit in one film so I hope to see a THEATRICAL sequel that fixes more of the first films flaws. I mean it would have to be theatrical anyway if they wanted to get game license characters again. But I doubt a sequel will be made did Wreck-it Ralph even do THAT good in the theater?

Blog Entries

Wreck it Ralph needs a sequel. I only had two problems with the first film. 1. The videogame character cameos were very minimal. I mean Disney hyped it up by constantly showing that same scene with them at the bad guys convention in the trailers and having the game characters on the posters. Yet we get about 6 minutes max of seeing our favorite game characters on the big screen. 2. Vanellope and Candy Rush world midway through just dominate the rest of the movie/story. So many possibilities that I know can't be fit in one film so I hope to see a THEATRICAL sequel that fixes more of the first films flaws. I mean it would have to be theatrical anyway if they wanted to get game license characters again. But I doubt a sequel will be made did Wreck-it Ralph even do THAT good in the theater?
    To be fair, plenty of animated films generate a lot more money than the original film, as that seems to be a common trend with animated movies nowadays. Even the first Shrek film only grossed about the same amount of money as Wreck-It-Ralph today, even though its sequel made nearly twice as much each. The major problem, however, is Disney's general notoriety when it comes to sequels. Unlike DreamWorks, half of whose movies are franchise continuations, Disney has almost never produced any sequels in their traditional canon, instead handing the job down to the DisneyToon studio, known for sucking out all the magic of the original film and leaving behind a carcass of driveling cliché. There are only a few special exceptions, including the novel Fantasia 2000, Winnie-the-Pooh '11, whose original counterpart was just a compilation of older shorts; and The Rescuers Down Under, which nobody remembers due to being overshadowed by Home Alone on its opening weekend. It's hard for the Disney to successfully promote a second film in a franchise when the term "Disney sequel" carries such a negative connotation. Hell, the only reason Planes made a theatrical release was because of its capacity to sell merchandise; John Lasseter's delusional fascination with the concept of it alone wouldn't have be enough to green-light it. The only way I could really imagine Disney producing a sequel to Wreck-It-Ralph would be through the DisneyToon Studio, most likely concentrating a lot of attention on marketable characters rather than original story.

With regards to your first point, I'm personally glad that Wreck-It-Ralph didn't focus too heavily on the licensed characters who made cameos. While it's certainly cool to see all of your favorite Nintendo and Sega icons united in a feature film, it would not have been conducive to the story if they had played a more prominent role. In that case, they would have distracted from the main characters, all of whom were original, and probably have leveraged the movie more towards marketability than an engaging story. You might call it a missed opportunity, especially considering the groundbreaking success of Who Frames Roger Rabbit?, which executed a similar premise using classic cartoon icons, but Wreck-It-Ralph was not the appropriate film to use it. Focusing on characters like Mario and Sonic would have worked far better if the licensed characters completely dominated the fictional universe, as was the case in Roger Rabbit.

To be honest, we still do get plenty of brilliant homages to actual video games; it's just that they're in the form of parody. Think about it - Wreck-It-Ralph himself is pretty much a human version of the original Donkey Kong, and Fix-It-Felix a reference to Mario/Jumpman and Stanley from the Donkey Kong arcade games. Sergeant Calhoun is similar to Samus Aran, and Hero's Duty bears a lot of resemblance to games such as Metal Gear Solid and Metroid. Sugar Rush bears striking resemblance to the Mario Kart franchise, featuring a cartoonish environment and items boxes that can be used to take advantage of the other players. Even King Candy himself, despite presiding over a racing video game, owns a castle, similar both to protagonist kingdoms like Princess Peach's Castle and the Hylian Castle, as well as antagonist castles such as those of Bowser and Ganon. Personally, I think this is all still a great representation of video games within an animated environment, as references are still present everywhere you look, even with the real-life characters not making much of an appearance. Perhaps it was unfair for Disney to promote the major video game icons on the poster and in the trailer, only to give fans something other than what they expected, but for me at least, Wreck-It-Ralph is still a wonderful movie in its own right.
    Last edited by Infinity183; 11-06-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Like a month after it released they said they were already developing a sequel.
    ............................................................ ..........................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    Like a month after it released they said they were already developing a sequel.
    source? As I remember Rich Moore was saying he had IDEAS for a sequel but doesn't mean they are developing one. It's like with Brad Bird saying he has ideas for an Incredibles 2 but that doesn't mean it's in development.

Blog Entries

Wreck-It Ralph 2 doesn’t have an official go-ahead yet, but Moore is already planning to return at the helm (assuming the sequel happens).
    The most exciting aspect of a Wreck-It Ralph 2 is that, if it moves forward, it’ll be the first Disney animated theatrical sequel since the 1990 film The Rescuers Down Under.
    Yup..

Blog Entries

Like I said before, the possible Wreck-It-Ralph sequel would probably be produced by DisneyToon Studios, similar to Planes, thus implying it wouldn't be as good. I don't know how likely it is that Disney Animation Studios would even consider producing the sequel anytime soon, considering they have Big Hero 6 and the absolutely atrocious-sounding Zootopia already lined up next for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    My biggest complaint is the main female lead using lines like "seriously?" and "wow this is awkward" while nobody else uses semi-modern expressions like that. i hate that shit in these kinds of movies
    I have to agree with you here. For some reason, I thought Mandy Moore sounded totally natural as Rapunzel, probably because while she was still designed to fit the time period Tangled came out, her modernity felt downplayed enough that she still felt naturally a product of her universe. Rapunzel was definitely more confident and self-rigtheous than older Disney princesses, but she never seemed out of place. Kristen Bell, however, takes the modern talk way too far and sounds like she time traveled to Arendelle from the San Fernando Valley.
    Last edited by Infinity183; 11-06-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Blog Entries

@Infinity183 The only good movie "DisneyToon Studios" made was DuckTales: The Movie. Wasn't that like their first project/film?

Blog Entries

DuckTales: The Movie was also an original film and not a sequel to something conceived by an entirely different writing staff, so the circumstances were a little different. Most of the DisneyToon sequels failed because they tried too hard to replicate the success of the original material, but without the creative inspiration to do so effectively. It also doesn't help that the studio's major projects are television series instead of motion pictures, thus resulting in finished products with a rather non-cinematic quality.

catchin' some gnarly pounders comeau's Avatar

@Infinity183 The only good movie "DisneyToon Studios" made was DuckTales: The Movie. Wasn't that like their first project/film?
    You shut your mouth youngin', when this greatness exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisneyToon_Studios
    Also looking at this list not everything sucks. I liked the two Aladdin sequels, the two Lion King sequels, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, An Extremely Goofy Movie, the House of Mouse movies, the Recess movies, and Kronk's New Groove. I'm not saying these are all great movies, but they were decent enough.

all from a very long time ago. WDAS released their release template at D23 in august, and that goes til 2020, and WIR 2 is nowhere to be seen. my guess is that it's probably out there in blue sky territory but hasn't come close to being greenlit yet. god I wish, but I just don't see it happening unless, like infinity said, it goes thru disneytoon. moore may have the helm of it, but that's dangerous territory. then AGAIN, like the post above me insinuates, with a good director at the helm, disneytoon can pull out something great. (goofy movie was directed by the crafty and detailed-oriented kevin lima)

@Swoony I felt the other way around. "Tangled" was just okay (could've used some tweaking with the musical elements and the third act is messy), but I was blown away by "Wreck-It Ralph". I will grant that I applaud Disney's recent success with these movies, especially in light of Pixar's weakening grasp on quality. Frozen looks like to be an excellent capper to this new trilogy of Disney CGI classics.

28. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Bake

Any bear-y good puns to bear? Santa Shoz's Avatar

I guess I should check this movie out. Also, just found out this movie is based on another fairy tale.

Can't you see I'm bear-y busy doing a bear-y difficult work-out routine?

I have Tangled but never watched it yet, i dunno why. My brother did and he liked it. I'll probably watch this one though, i love snowy.
    "We are the imagination of ourselves"

Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Ned View Post
    I'll probably watch this one though, i love snowy.
    not gonna lie, misread this as "i love @Swoony" at first and that this was the most impromptu confession ever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by comeau View Post
    Also looking at this list not everything sucks. I liked the two Aladdin sequels, the two Lion King sequels, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, An Extremely Goofy Movie, the House of Mouse movies, the Recess movies, and Kronk's New Groove. I'm not saying these are all great movies, but they were decent enough.
    I thought both Aladdin sequels sucked. Return of Jafar had spades of okayness but the Thieves one was just plain boring and had awful animation. I like An Extremely Goofy Movie (not many people do though) also I've never seen A Goofy Movie, the House of Mouse movies are also pretty boring IMO but with only spades of greatness here and there. Kronk's New Groove doesn't even touch the original. I was mostly bored with it and the only moments I found funny were with Ezma.

DISNEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL THEY CONTROL EVERYTHING, I tend to avoid Disney related things and this is one I'll be avoiding looks kind of dumb.
    elbarto

catchin' some gnarly pounders comeau's Avatar

^You're an interesting poster, in that almost all of your posts that I've seen are easy avatar quotes.

I thought both Aladdin sequels sucked. Return of Jafar had spades of okayness but the Thieves one was just plain boring and had awful animation. I like An Extremely Goofy Movie (not many people do though) also I've never seen A Goofy Movie, the House of Mouse movies are also pretty boring IMO but with only spades of greatness here and there. Kronk's New Groove doesn't even touch the original. I was mostly bored with it and the only moments I found funny were with Ezma.
    I didn't say they were great, or even good, I was saying they are watchable. At least compared to stuff like Pocahontas II and that string of Tinkerbell movies.

And go watch A Goofy Movie, I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix. Holy shit.

Me: hernia..maybe..maybe not D DEBBS's Avatar

I read the book a couple of weeks ago at Barnes and Noble: PASS.

Thread Information