View Poll Results: How would you rate the episode?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5/5: Contentment.

6 6.90%
  • 4/5: Malise

18 20.69%
  • 3/5: Lament

35 40.23%
  • 2/5: Pangs

16 18.39%
  • 1/5: Oh, I've wasted my life!

12 13.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: R&R Four Regrettings and a Funeral

(Users Browsing this Thread: )

f**kface von clownstick Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

R&R Four Regrettings and a Funeral

i don't see one for this episode yet, so i made it.

When a beloved Springfielder dies, four residents recall life events that they would like to do over. Among them: Homer bemoans selling a tech stock to purchase a bowling ball, and Marge fears that she's the reason Bart is such a rebellious child. Others wishing for a do-over are Mr. Burns, who recalls a long-ago romance with a lovely Parisienne, and newsman Kent Brockman who regrets not leaving the local station to take a job with cable news. Rachel Maddow guest stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

Pissed that they didn't show Bart The Lover.

This episode was very good. Didn't have cringe-worthy jokes and all the plots were good.
    Lot better than what I expected.

The ending was excellent

4.5/5

Junior Camper

Surprisingly good for a modern Simpsons episode. Not perfect but enjoyable. Some strong jokes for the first time in a long time. 4/5

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

ACT ONE:

I get that they were trying to do a "22 Short Films about Springfield" type episode, but at least 22 had stories that connect. This didn't. It was just one tangent after another.

Should I complain about the timeline retconning of the "early 2001" flashback? Nah.

They said Apple instead of Mapple? Pick one, jerks! And yet they still used the Mapple logo. Hmm...

ACT TWO:

I liked Mr. Burns's sketch of the woman, and his remark of how it looked better in his memory. His flashback was very un-Burns-like, though.

The Brockman story is pretty aimless.

ACT THREE:

Meh, it was boring, but inoffensive.

I didn't care for Burns hoping his ex-girlfriend's wife beats her, though. Even for Burns, that seems really bad.

The digs at FOX News were incredibly unfunny, as I predicted.

ACT FOUR:

Ugh, I cringed at that scene where Burns breathed into the lady and she turned into dust.

Are the doing a satire Balloon Boyof FOUR years after that happened? Way to be topical, guys!

Wiggum criticising Ralph and then being proud of it was very out of character for him.

OVERALL:

It tried too hard to be like 22 Short Films About Springfield, but came up very short. I wish I were watching that instead.

It also tried to make a point about regrets, but it didn't work at all.

Overall, a flat episode. Low 3/5 (C-), which I honestly think is too nice.
    My Simpsons Season Rankings:
    6 > 7 > 3 > 5 > 8 > 4 > 2 > 1 > 9 > 15 > 13 > 14 > 10 > 16 > 12 > 11 > 22 > 21 > 17 > 25 > 24 > 18 > 26 > 20 > 19 > 23

Quote Originally Posted by handsome
    honestly the most burning question i had about you was if you had seen every disney movie so i'm glad that got out of the way first

Blog Entries

Dull. Only chuckled at "We ARE the New York Times!" Forgettable, but inoffensive. 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by ilovebender.com View Post
    I love women.

f**kface von clownstick Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

shit, i forgot to make it public

2.5/5

They claimed a "major character will die this season." If it was to be THIS episode, I think they just pulled a nasty joke on all of us.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wiley207 View Post
    They claimed a "major character will die this season." If it was to be THIS episode, I think they just pulled a nasty joke on all of us.
    They didn't

That episode is airing next season.

I don't know if I have a clear head for this one. I'm still pretty upset about the replacement of "Bart the Lover". Actually, I suppose that joke about Chip would have been a lot funnier had Marcia Wallace not just died. We just lost a major Springfieldienite, and I was afraid that this was the death episode. It was a pretty bland and inoffensive episode made worse by circumstances. I'll have to catch it again in reruns to get a better take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by carving_11 View Post
    They didn't

That episode is airing next season.
    Well, that's a relief. I'll still need to check out the rest of it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

it was ok.

I'm baaaack! Patches O'houlihan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know about you guys, but this episode felt like it was just 'thrown' together out of a bunch of clips. There was some good jokes, but it was horribly disjointed.

A 3/5 sounds about right.

Well, ya'know if you stay positive and forget about trivial things like "proper characterization," "Satire," and "emotional depth" watching new Simpsons episodes can be a seemingly enjoyable lie.

Blog Entries

They didn't play Bart the Lover? What replaced it?

vs. Radioactive Man Captain Squid's Avatar

I was a bit annoyed and confused by a lack of "Bart the Lover", so I was in a bad mood during the first act. However, once the story started moving, and the plots intersected, it was a pretty good "format bender" episode. A few cringy sight gags, like Burns old girlfriend turning to dust, but I loved the stick figure sketch and the trapdoor gag. Also, nice to see Wolfcastle again as well as the origin of the Tire Fire. The Marcia bits were nice touches, though I'm sure the character will have more of a memorial in a future episode when the write Edna out of the series. I liked the chalkboard, not too emotional and written the way Bart speaks ("We'll miss you Mrs. K...")

Despite all the plots, it wasn't a mess and was a pretty enjoyable episode. 3.5/5 rounded up to a 4 due to the Marcia Wallace bits. Much better than Homerland, but not as good as THOH.
    UP AND ATOM!

Junior Camper

The one where Flanders marries Edna I think.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

They aired the Nedliest Catch instead.

Anyway I couldn't get on all day and pretty sure that was the case with most everybody. This one felt more like 500 Keys in regard to layout than an actual quadrilogy episode like Manicure. I really don't have much to say about it though it had some cute lines and was inoffensive but nothing great. Generous 3/5 I guess.

Oh, and the sad faced Bart in the chalkboard made me sad.

Hired Goon
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Idiot View Post
    They didn't play Bart the Lover? What replaced it?
    The Ned-liest Catch

Blog Entries

Quel tribute!!!

Blog Entries

This episode was terrible and all over the place. Cant remember a single thing but the edna tribute was good at the beginning and end.

Moe is their leader. Captain_Smiley's Avatar

1) This had the potential to be a clip show and I'm surprised that it wasn't.

2) Marge's storyline was the weakest story.

3) Mr. Burns wanting to spend an extra five minutes helping the homeless is surprising and rather heartwarming.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This was shit. This is typical modern Simpsons: they tried to be "heartwarming" and "caring" instead of having an actual feel like the episodes of Simpsons past that carried actual merit and emotion. I don't know why I expected anything different but this whole episode fell short for me. It was cool to see more of Brockman but the Maddow cameo seemed unnecessary (see: modern Simpsons) and the flashback with Homer being "Early 2001" and having hair on his head made me roll my eyes.

Don't even get me started on "Chip". 1.5, a solid 2 for the poll.

Mom, Bart's Smoking!

Quote Originally Posted by Oh, that's cranberry! View Post
    They aired the Nedliest Catch instead.

Anyway I couldn't get on all day and pretty sure that was the case with most everybody. This one felt more like 500 Keys in regard to layout than an actual quadrilogy episode like Manicure. I really don't have much to say about it though it had some cute lines and was inoffensive but nothing great. Generous 3/5 I guess.

Oh, and the sad faced Bart in the chalkboard made me sad.
    I missed the chalkboard gag. Thanks for posting the framegrab. I agree, it wasn't bad but it could've been better. It was just an average episode. I was hoping it'd be the episode where they kill someone off. They're just doing this to build the suspense

A Lonely, Insignificant Speck Insanity Pepper's Avatar
    A Has-Been Planet Orbited by a Cold, Indifferent Sun

That was pretty bad. Obviously, they were trying to unite all the various plots together with a central theme, but it was just a huge mess. The same joke about Fox News over and over is getting pretty old, and, as always, I hate guest stars playing themselves. Mr. Burns was out of character, and there wasn't really anything interesting about the other plots. Overall, this just seemed like a bunch of uninteresting subplots crudely mashed together. 2/10

EDIT: Wait, this wasn't the episode that featured the death of a character? I thought the joke was that the "major character" was just never seen before, and it was a "screw the audience" kind of thing to have all the anticipation of a character dying that just turns out to be someone no one has ever heard of.
    Last edited by Insanity Pepper; 11-03-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Good format bending episode, reminded me of 22 Short Films and the $300 Futurama episode (forget the name). It was pretty funny and had an intriguing plot. 4/5

Even if 22 Short Films is the better episode (I honestly don't know if it is or not) I bet if it aired today, fans would complain about it feeling "thrown together".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quite Corking View Post
    Wait, this wasn't the episode that featured the death of a character? I thought the joke was that the "major character" was just never seen before, and it was a "screw the audience" kind of thing to have all the anticipation of a character dying that just turns out to be someone no one has ever heard of.
    no that's next season.

this was horrible, nonsensical, and-- argh i'm just repeating myself for the 300th time. 1/5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgod View Post
    Back in the day, Daffy & Donald were polar opposites, providing a much needed diverse, full spectrum to the public's Duck entertainment needs.

Milhouse once mentioned a city very close to mine.
    Blog Entries

I think this is the first "animated" "in memory of..." card. I think the animation was taken from S14's "Special Edna", the Teacher of the Year episode. Quite appropriate, if one were to ask me. And quick work on the chalkboard gag.

The episode was kind of all over the place for me. It felt like it was trying to be 22 Short Films, or The Seemingly Never-Ending Story, but I feel that none of the stories captured the charm of the vignettes from the aforementioned episodes. There was surely nothing cringe-worthy about the episode, or its gags for that matter, but the writing felt a little stilted.

Did'ja notice that they mentioned Apple multiple times, and Siri, even though Mapple and Searchie have been part of the show for a few years now? The smartphones still had the Mapple logo, though.

Blog Entries

The ending with Homer's bowling ball tying into resolving the episode was surprisingly coherent. It actually felt like they were trying to execute this one properly, they even tried to include a consistent theme, so I have to give them a little credit. But then they overloaded it with the usual bad jokes and unnatural dialogue, and killed it. But all in all, I think the best part was when they had that little write up about how they aren't going to suck up to Apple anymore, and that they aren't getting paid for doing it.
    Last edited by zartok-35; 11-03-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought this was really good, and definitely the best of the season so far. They executed the chalkboard "gag" very well, and I thought a larger number of jokes hit than usual, like Agmes' "Oh, I didn't see you there" and the revelation that Homer made the lumber/lumbar mistake multiple times. And while I think it could've benefitted from a shorter couch gag to add some more depth to the stories, I thought they provided an ample amount of material for each story. I enjoyed seeing Dexter Colt again; he's one of my favorite one-time characters. One thing I didn't care for was them going a little too overboard with the newscaster jokes with Maddow,, e.g. "after this break," etc. I did like the jab at FOX, although I'm not sure what it was signifying when Kent saw all those extra D's. Was it saying he was a Democrat or a Republican? That confused me. But a good episode that I will give a 5/5, just barely!

greatest living philostopher Insomnia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I forgot Homer had hair in 2001.

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Edit: Disregard.
    Last edited by Financial Panther; 11-03-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Thread Information