• 4/5 - Still the best, and possibly only, show airing on Nickelodeon

0 0%
  • 3/5 - It's a good start for the season. I just hope it's better next time

1 100.00%
  • 2/5 - This is just as bad as the Avatar Movie

0 0%
  • 1/5 - This is much worst than the Avatar Movie

0 0%

The Legend of Korra Season 2 Premiere Review - Rebel Spirit/The Southern Lights

One of our favorite anime-influenced TV shows is back with this premiere.

Rebel Spirit - Summary
    Six months after the end of Book One: Air, Korra has mastered airbending, Mako works as a policeman and is up for a promotion as detective, Bolin fares poorly in pro-bending with the new "Fire Ferrets", and Asami tries to keep Future Industries afloat by venturing to the south to plan buisness with Varrick. With Tenzin, the friends visit Korra's and Tenzin's family in the Southern Water Tribe. After Korra's uncle and tribal chief Unalaq easily repels an angry spirit's attack, Korra chooses him instead of Tenzin as her spiritual teacher.

The Southern Lights - Summary
    Korra, Mako, Bolin, Korra's father Tonraq, her new teacher Unalaq and his children Desna and Eska travel to the South Pole, where Korra opens a portal to the spirit world to release the Southern Lights. Learning that her father was banished from the Northern Water Tribe for causing a spirit rampage, and was, with Tenzin, responsible for her seclusion in her youth, she orders him to leave her. Returning from the pole, Korra's party witnesses an invasion of the South by Northern Water Tribe troops. Meanwhile, Tenzin and his family arrive at the Southern Air Temple, where Jinora is drawn to the statues of Aang and an unidentified ancient Avatar.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Fotane

I thought it was a really good start, I'm quite excited for all the spirit stuff we're going to get into this season. Few interesting things developing already and it was cool to see a bit of Korra's dad and uncle's history and how they have come to be where they are. Think it's fair to say her uncle isn't all he appears to be and is up to no good, but we'll see. Love the inclusion of Bumi and Kya, hope they stick around for a bit. No Lin in these episodes though, hopefully they don't bump her down to a side character or anything, she was great in season 1 and I'd like to see more. Bolin was hilarious, I think he might end up becoming my favourite character.

All in all very strong start, I liked what I saw and want to see more. Really glad to have this back.

Totally missed it because we forgot Nickelodeon doesn't have an HD channel so we missed the lineup. Hoping to watch it tonight before I get sucked into the GTA V storm tomorrow.

It was a good start of the new season with two solid episodes. I like the angle with the upset spirits and that it wasn't so fast paced (also a lot of exposition and such); it took it's time instead of throwing a lot of action at the viewer and that's good since it nicely sets up the story. I like the new characters introduced but I don't know what to say about  the uncle looking like he'll be something of a bad guy  as it's in a way a lot like the antagonists in the first season; I wonder how it'll play out. It also looks like there'll be a conflict in the upcoming episode so I look forward to the next ones and to see how it'll move the story forward.

(And I'll add that it's good to see others on the NHC who like the Avatar cartoons; they seem to be pretty impopular around here).
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 09-16-2013 at 01:39 PM.

6. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Fotane

Temporary Gravity Pony Suomynona's Avatar

I honestly saw the uncle's nature a mile a way. I had hoped that they would've surprised me and made Korra's second mentor an actual decent guy, but what the hey.
    Also, the businessman character was hilarious. 

It's a good start for the series. I like the new conflict they're bringing up, and I like how they're bringing the story outside of Republic City for a change. Even if it's just for a single book, I wish it'll be a round-the-world journey like the first book, as I do want to see how the rest of the world evolved after Legend of Aang.

Also  something in the trailer for Book 2 tells me that Katara's days are waning fast. .
    FDQ BRX FRXQW, VXFNDV?
    --
    VRBOHQW JUHHQ LV QRW SHRSOH. LW LV DFWXDOOB 40% ODPE, DQG WKH UHVW LV MXVW ELWV RI NDUGDVKLDQ.
    --
    ROGVFKRROHUVLPSVRQ, LI BRX FDQ UHDG WKLV, BRX KDYH DQ DGGLFWLRQ IRU WKXPELQJ SHRSOH. VHHN
    SVBFKLDWULF KHOS EHIRUH BRX JHW ODEHOHG D VHA RIIHQGHU.
    --
    KDBGHQ FKULVWHQVHQ ZDVQ'W WKDW EDG LQ WKH VWDU ZDUV SUHTXHOV. JLYH KLP JRRG GLUHFWLRQ DQG ZULWLQJ, DQG KLV DFWLQJ FDQ DFWXDOOB EH JUHDW.
    --
    RQH GDB, D IRA ZLOO GURZQ LQ D VHD RI ILUHIOLHV.
    --
    WKH VHFRQG DYDWDU RI WKH FODVVLF VLPSVRQV DQG WKH JUHDWHVW DQLPDWHG VHULHV LQ GLVQHB KLVWRUB LV IXFNLQJ EDFN, ELWFKHV.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Fotane

It was pretty nice, I just hope that its not short with few eps.

I think it's gonna be twelve episodes like the first season.

2x03 Civil Wars Part 1 - Summary
    As the Southerners chafe under what they perceive as an occupation, Unalaq explains to Korra that he wants to protect the southern portal and have Korra open its northern counterpart. Varrick, whose business suffers from Unalaq's blockade, begins fomenting a revolt. Korra unsuccessfully tries to keep the peace and prevents an abduction of Unalaq by Southern rebels. As she tries to reconcile with her mother and father, Unalaq appears to arrest them. Meanwhile, at the Southern Air Temple, Ikki disappears and Tenzin, Kya, and Bumi search for her, while reminiscing about their childhood with their father Aang.

I was quite looking forward to this one. I like civil war storylines in things and the fact that it's a two-parter gave me high hopes, but to be honest it was kind of meh. Too much soppy, whiney family stuff with both Korra and her family and Tenzin and his, with not much else going on. Hope part 2 is better. Bolin and Varrick still hilarious though, love them both.

Immediately reminded me of

Thread Information