Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CousinMerl View Post
    The characterizations are both pretty good and pretty disappointing; Homer and Marge is portrayed well as is Grampa the kids too (but Lisa feels a bit off since she pretty much ignores that Marge is stressed out and needs some relief), the secondary characters are more of a mixed bag as some of them are well-portrayed, like Chief Wiggum, Dr. Hibbert and Mr. Burns, while many of them feels rather overexaggerated with them demonizing Marge and talking shit about her behind her back; while you because of this sympathise more with Marge who is unjustly blamed and is placed in jail, they force a "feel bad for her!" message onto you and makes the episode feel unnecessarily mean-spirited (which is one of my pet peeves about Simpsons episodes in general as mean-spiritedness can easily drag an episode down and make it less enjoyable). Speaking of bad portrayals, I pretty much hate Jerkass Apu who's wildly celebrating with his brother that "the bitch is put on ice" in one of the least favorite scenes from the classic era which is unsurpringly unfunny and almost cringeworthy (I'm quite relieved that Jerkass Apu never caught on much since this kind of portrayal of the character never worked for me, kind of like the Homer-hating and evil Smithers). Lionel Hutz make a great apperance here and steals pretty much all of his scenes with some of his best moments ever which is a saving grace of this messy episode and also, David Crosby makes a guest apperance which ultimately was pretty pointless (usually brief, pointless celebrity cameos are used in much later episodes). I really like the animation which has some pretty good bits (like a stressed out Marge seeing a lot of Homer, Bart and Lisa heads while shopping) and use of some good lighting and shadowing (such as the flashback with Homer trying to cook a meal for Marge); thumbs up to it.

All in all, it's definitely not a very strong episode. It starts out pretty well but around when it appears that Marge has been shoplifting, it starts taking a turn for the worse and become needlessly and rather forcibly mean-spirited, sporadic and turns really wacky with randomness occuring in town while Marge is in prison to show that she's needed there for stability for some reason and then she goes home and everything is fine as she comes back; it's so damn rushed and goofy. Lionel Hutz adds a lot of enjoyment to this episode but I wish it on the whole was more focused (like developing Marge and showing more of her having problems defending herself and her stint in prison & friendship with the other prisoners; essentially more of a POV story) and had better pacing while skipping the randomness and turning down the pretty much exaggerated mean-spritidness; it's not often I say this about classic era episodes but it turned too messy and at many times forced for my taste and it's essentially pretty much like a combination of a wacky and unfocused Scully-era episode and a pretty funny Jean-era episode with a good premise, which doesn't mesh with the other and which in turn doesn't make for a too good episode. Overall, despite it having a lot of solid humor and a great apperance by Lionel Hutz, it's a rather weak episode and one of the "worst" in an otherwise really good season (I can't believe Oakley & Weinstein wrote this). Sorry to those who think it's a really good episode, but I really don't.
    I thought Homer was a bit whacky too when he was dealing with the kids on his own. Not being able to dress himself and the pack of sugar and playing card with peanut butter on it seems to be more of a post classic characterization. I also agree about the Apu scene with Sanjay being quite out of character but I think it was a minor fault. Quite a bit of the mean spirit seemed to have come from Helen Lovejoy which is understandable being the gossip hound. I can also see the Flanders's being paranoid about having Marge in the house. Plus the staff was big on showcasing the mob mentality of the town so once they see one of the more respected citizens take a fall from grace it is quite feasible for them to rub it in to boost their own low self esteem. I agree that this could have been more Marge centric with her experience in prison and developing her relationship with Phillips. Also some of the mean sentiment was balanced out with the closing scene (I think even democrats rip on Jimmy Carter, he's a popular target since many think of him as a cowpoke 1 term president.):

Plus David Crosby was doing the rounds on TV during this time since he was briefly sober (he's been on and off the wagon), he also played John Larroquette's AA sponsor on the short lived John Larroquette show around the same time.

Overall a strong start to the episode but the title is more or less a misnomer since very little is spent on Marge's prison time. A great appearance by Lionel Hutz boosts this one to a solid 8/10.
    Last edited by The Thompsons; 09-24-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Thompsons View Post
    I thought Homer was a bit whacky too when he was dealing with the kids on his own. Not being able to dress himself and the pack of sugar and playing card with peanut butter on it seems to be more of a post classic characterization.
    About Homer, even though he was wacky, to me he didn't seem that much different from his usual wacky classic era portrayal (just my personal opinion).

Also, I've been thinking about Marge's portrayal in the episode and I think it's kinda flawed; she essentially does nothing to defend herself when being accused of shoplifting, not even does she try to explain how the bottle ended up in her pocket, she just goes along with everything and is essentially a weakling who puts all her trust into Hutz (who of course messes up).

Professional Burger Stealer Krusty Burglar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've decided to do an episode that I'm somewhat surprised hasn't been chosen yet (if it has, I didn't look at the ineligibility list long enough.)

Homer's Barbershop Quartet.

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

This bird's gonna fly!

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meh, i watched this one not too long ago. But at the same time, i really like it, so i might rewatch and review it.

Btw, if someone dosent pick an post-classic soon, i will create the weekly post-classic episode club.
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 09-25-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Good choice; it's been a while since we had a Season 5 episode (and another post-classic would be nice).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Homer The Stonecutter View Post
    Meh, i watched this one not too long ago. But at the same time, i really like it, so i might rewatch and review it.

Btw, if someone dosent pick an post-classic soon, i will create the weekly post-classic episode club.
    No you won't, just cool your jets.

8. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Has glower power Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He can create what he wants...it's not against the rules.

Blog Entries

Plus, we will run out of the good ole classics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    He can create what he wants...it's not against the rules.
    I'm telling you now I will close it for being superfluous.

Blog Entries

Well then, i suppose i stick to this thread..... the classics are fun to discuss as well.

Blog Entries

just because the post-classics aren't being picked often means they aren't being picked at all anyway! jesus! participation in this thread is ridiculously low anyway...

Blog Entries

Actually i was for the most part joking around. I dont mind it that much, and i know post-classics are picked once in a while. Ofcourse im not going to do something as stupid as creating an episode club for only post-classics. No need to yell!

This thread is fine, and i believe Homers Barbershop Quartet is an totally fine coice, and the only thing i have against it, is that i rewatched not to long ago, but i still really like the episode and think its underrated, so i will probably review it anyway.

Blog Entries

I would appreciate being spared the "jokes" in the future then.

Blog Entries

Directed by Mark Kirkland, assisted by Susie Dietter, with animation by Nasty Matt Nastuk, Craig Armstrong, Tommy Tejeda, Mike Anderson, Mike Marcantel, Mark Ervin, Ed 'Lalo' Olivares, Dan Povenmire, Istvan Majoros, and Billybob Tucker. Billybob was a Ren and Stimpy animator who had a short career as a Simpson animator at the end of season 4. Craig, Mike, Mike, Tom, Mark, and Dan all worked on 'Cape feare' aswell as this episode, indicating that they were all kept on staff during the annual production hiatus between seasons 4 and 5, when the rest of the animators would've been layed off, to do revisions on the unfinished holdover episodes. Mark Ervin worked exclusively between Kirkland and Rich Moore in season 4, so he would have been an inevitable fixture.

Mike Marcantel animates driving home from the swap meet, Homer continuing his story, and the scenes of Homer composing 'Baby on board'.

Mike also handles Homer sending the kids off, and getting inspired to organize the reunion performance.

Mike Anderson animates Homer showing the kids his Be Sharps paraphernalia, with his eyebrows.

Mike also animates the auditioning sequence.

Tommy Tejeda, who draws the same eyebrows as Mike Anderson, animates the sequence where Homer and Barney argue about the songs, and they meet Barney's new girlfriend, Yoko Ono.

The 'Coney island babe' finale, with Apu's "Shop Kwik-e-mart and save!", is animated by Bill Tucker.

Bill also animates the sequence with the first recording of 'Baby on board', and Nigel telling Homer to underplay his marriage.

Bill also animates the crowds laughing at Skinner being 'The funny one'

Mark Ervin animates Homer buying grandpa the Cadillac.

Mark also animates the emotional scene of Homer phoning Lisa, and throwing away his Grammy award.

And the 'Whats hot whats not' sequence.

Nasty Matt animates Homer eating brownies with George Harrison.

The 'Enormous woman' sequence was animated by Ed Olivares.

Craig Armstrong animates the scene where Bart and Lisa compare Homer to Dean Martin and Bob Hope.

And Istvan Majoros, I believe, animates Homer and the group at the Grammy awards with David Crosby. They really used the heck out of their guest stars in season 4, didn't they?
    Last edited by zartok-35; 09-28-2013 at 09:51 PM.

'Homer's Barbershop Quartet', written by Jeff Martin and directed by Mark Kirkland, aired for the first time on September 30, 1993 and it is the first episode of the fifth season. In this flashback-themed episode, while the family visits a big swap meeting, Bart and Lisa finds a barbershop quartet album with Homer on the front cover, which leads to Homer telling them the story of his barbershop quartet band with him, Apu, Skinner and Wiggum as it's members and which existed back in 1985 for a shorter period of time: they used to perform at Moes and there an agent offered to represent them, but not after they promise to dump Wiggum (which they do), they do however find a replacement in Barney and his great singing voice and names their band the Be Sharps. As one of the tires of the family's car goes out, Homer then continues to tell the story, in which he tells the kids of the creation of the band's biggest hit, "Baby On Board", and their big rise in popularity with various merchandise items (which Homer then shows the kids when the family gets home). However, things started going downhill for the band when they dropped in popularity and tried to stay afloat, but eventually they decided to split up and go their separate ways (in other words to their usual occupations). After Homer finishes telling the story, he decides to reunite the band for a performance on the rooftop at Moe's, where they play Baby On Board" for a big crowd of onlookers who then applauds them as they finish playing, whereupon the episode closes. This episode is a lot of fun and it's a great spoof on the story of The Beatles (it is clearly a rough pararell to them); I remember that earlier I didn't think the episode was that great but around now I can definitely see it's goodness here. It has a simple but nice story, some very funny lines and moments of humor and is a very enjoyable episode.

I noticed that the characters are all portrayed very well and are overall in-character; there are no clear out-of-character portrayals here which causes any blowbacks to the episodes in the character aspect, which in turn is of course good. One moment that did felt just a bit odd was Marge bawling her eyes out after Homer has told her that their marriage would be kept a secret during him performing with the band during their tour for PR reasons; I dunno, how it was presented felt off somehow but it didn't hurt the episode at all. As for the animation, it looks really good with nice colors, shading and lighting of a number of scenes & the episode also utilizes some good effects shots and angles; nothing complex but still nice and effective. About the guest stars, the real-life barbershop band The Dapper Dans does the singing voices of the Be Sharp members, David Crosby appears in this episode and he does an nice job in his brief scene and George Harrison (RIP) appears as himself twice (talking to Homer and commenting the Be Sharp's rooftop performance) and he does a really good job and also manages to be pretty funny too (this made him be the second of three Beatles to guest star in the episode. Lennon could of course not guest star on the show due to his death in 1980; I have to wonder if he would have guested the show if he was still alive and had been asked to).

The humor is pretty sharp here (no pun intended): "Human roaches, feeding off each others' garbage! The only thing you can't buy here is dignity", "Wow, an original Malibu Stacey from 1958!*notices the big, pointy boobs*Oh...""Yeah, they took her off the market after some kid put both his eyes out"-"Oh my", Skinner finding his old metal prison helmet from Vietnam ("It's a small world"-"It sure is"), "Your teenage son or daughter will think this wishbone necklace is really cool!"-"I doubt my son or daughter is that stupid", "Dad, thanks to television, I can't remember what happened eight minutes ago"*all except for Bart laughs*"No, really, I can't! It's a serious problem"*they laugh more and Bart does too*"What are we all laughing about?"-"Who cares?", Homer reminding Bart to not talk like an 1800's prospector, Grampa identifying his son as "the Hindu guy", the way Homer dumps Chief Wiggum from the group, "From now on, your name is Apu de Beaumarchais"-"That is a great dishonor to my ancestors and my god, but okay!", the audition scene (Jasper's "Theme from A Summer Place" is great), Wiggum disguising himself when trying to get into the group again ("This bird's gonna fly!"*runs and jumps through window*), Wiggum trying to get into the group yet again as they puts their hands on top of each other and him doing it as well, Homer revealing that he sold someone the spare tire right before one of the tires abruptly goes out, "Baby On Board, Something something, Burt Ward... Hey! this thing writes itself", "Have you seen Bart?"-"Eh, I stuck him somewhere"*cuts to Bart trapped underneath an upside down laundry basket with rocks holding it down*, Apu being asked if he's really an Hindu and swears he's not on by "many arms of Vishnu", the interviewers laughing when Skinner confirms he is "the funny one", "We'd like to dedicate this next number to a very special woman. She's a hundred years old, and she weighs over two hundred... tons"-"This enormous woman will devour us all!"*the man screams and jumps into the water*"Er, I meant the statue", Wiggum using his gun on the TV instead of the misplaced remote, "Hello, Homer! I'm George Harrison"-"Oh my God. Oh my God! Where did you get that brownie?"-"Over there. There's a big pile of them"*Homer heads over to the pile and starts gorging, interjecting an "Oh, man"*"Well, what a nice fellow", Homer paying the bellboy with his grammy which is then thrown away ("Hey! Don't throw your garbage down here!"*the man throws it up again and it knocks Homer out*), "They took the foam off the market because they found out it was poisonous, but if you ask me, if you're dumb enough to eat it, you deserve to die... Bart!"*Bart looks at him with his mouth full of foam*"What?", "What'd you do? Screw up like the Beatles and say you were bigger than Jesus?"-"All the time! That was the title of our second album"*holds up the album 'Bigger Than Jesus'), Marge telling how she tried to compensate for Homer's absence with a crude Homer doll and a tape player, Barney's demo tape ("Number 8"*burp*), Homer's replacement at the nuclear plant having been a chicken, "Hello! Human Fly here! Come on! I stayed up all night dyeing my underwear!", "Extra! Extra! Be Sharps sing on rooftop!"-"What? Give me one of those!"*the man buys a paper from the newspaper boy*"Wait a minute! There's nothing in here about the Be Sharps! Come back!"-"Haw-haw!", "It's been done", "Pretty, huh, Chief?"-"It sure is, Lou. It sure is... get the tear gas" & "I'd like to thank on behalf of the group and I hope we passed the audition"*the crowd laughs and Barney laughs too for a bit*"I don't get it"

So all in all, I think this episode is very entertaining with it's very humorous parodic story (The Beatles' references and in-jokes are fun and also quite clever at times), overall nice characterizations & the choice of Homer's group performing the now quite outdated barbershop music; it's definitely quite a solid way of opening up the fifth season. The plot in itself isn't complicated at all but still manages to nicely fill out the timeframe without resorting to a lot of random moments and stays true to each of the characters involved; it can be argued that the rest of the family get sort of sidelined but it is understandable since it's mostly told from Homer's perspective which works well. I wouldn't say this is one of my favorite episodes (since it isn't) but I still like it quite a bit and since it's sort of grown on me, it's not the kinda overrated episode I saw it as being before but neither is it underrated, which even things out a bit; I'd definitely say it's popularity is quite deserved. Summed up, it's a rather strong episode from start to end even though it's not on my list of top favorite episodes.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 01-20-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Is it "Summer Place"? I never knew if he was saying that or "Somber Place." I feel "somber" makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Financial Panther View Post
    Is it "Summer Place"? I never knew if he was saying that or "Somber Place." I feel "somber" makes more sense.
    It's "Summer Place" (the subtitles say that as well)

Theme from A Summer Place

Blog Entries

Hm. Interesting.

heeeals! you guys are brutal! zach's Avatar

my name is wink.

Quote Originally Posted by captain wacky View Post
    my name is wink.
    I think you missed out on the time "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo" was discussed.

On paper this is a really outlandish plot with Homer winning a Grammy for his work in a barbershop quartet but it really works since it parodies the Beatles. I really like the animation as it mimics the different phases of the Beatles career from their time in the Cavern Club (Moe's Tavern) to Let It Be (The Mr. T song and the ending). I really like the collection of characters that make up the group as you don't see Wiggum, Barney, Skinner and Apu interact with each other that often which is another reason this episode works. When I was younger I tried to figure out who was the Beatle equivalent of each member. It was pretty consistent except it was John Lennon (Barney) who said "I hope we passed the audition" not Paul (Homer). Plus John was the only one who was married when the Beatles became famous. Here is my guess anyway:

John: Barney
    Paul: Homer
    George: Skinner (the funny one)
    Ringo: Apu (because of the name change)
    Pete Best/Stuart Sutcliffe: Wiggum

Plus I used to be real nitpicky with the timeline since this supposedly happened during the summer, yet the Grammys are held in February. Homer's fame seemed to have lasted a whole year not 5 weeks. Overall a very enjoyable episode especially for Beatles nuts like myself. 9/10

24. Thumbs Up To This Post by: CousinMerl

Wow, my review above really must suck ass compared with my previous ones; no one seemed to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Thompson View Post
    Overall a very enjoyable episode especially for Beatles nuts like myself. 9/10
    The episode is definitely a lot more enjoyable for ones are fans of The Beatles (otherwise a lot of the references and in-jokes get lost on you); I wonder how many Beatles fans has this episode as one of their top favorites, if not their favorite overall.

Blog Entries

@Bartesque is up this week but he hasn't been on since September 20th so I doubt he'll nominate.
    @Ernie feel free to nominate as soon as you read this.

Blog Entries

Still nothing... @Infinity1888 I'll open it up to you now too. Nominate if you read this please.

I nominate Treehouse of Horror V

29. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Blog Entries

It's not your turn whoever you are.

I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you?

Blog Entries

You coulda went with David Letterman and I coulda replied Hi David I'm Grampa! You fail!

33. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

all this and more on 60 Minutes

35. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

Thread Information