Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fine, here is my review. Grammar-checked and Spell-checked.
    I just watched this abo sorry i meant Simpsons episode. Seriously, it is a pretty damn awful episode. I think i only enjoyed two things in the episode:Bart trying to take a picture of Lisa and her saying cut cut cut, and Patty and Selmas talk to Lisa at the wedding, and these moments were only chuckle worthy at best. Now, the idea of a woman moving in with the Simpsons family and Marge being jealous, could have been an interesting idea, but the writers seem to go nowhere with it, atleast not in anyway that can make me stop watching the clock. Like so many of us have said in the past, Marges character is horrible in this episode. And yes, i agree, the scene when she rampages at the glass bar is 1000 worse then her rampage scene in Strong Arms Of The Ma, because at least that can be redeemed by Homers talk at the end that makes her stop. However, in this episode, she is not Marge Simpson she is just a wild Jerkass, she is Jerkass Marge. (There i said it) And i also do not like how the town acts towards the situation, for example i hate the scene at the Krusty the clown show with the fake Marge with the moving mouth, and the mad Marge dancers for example. I do admit that i smiled perhaps a little at Bart telling the story about Becky coming if you say mad Marge twice or something like that but other than that, none of the towns comment about the situation is funny at all. And Of course , the horrible, horrible ending. When we think everything has been resolved, we learn that Becky was trying to kill the family after all. And ofcourse the infamous Homer blowing a dart in Marges neck gag. I have read people compare it to the ending of Duffless. And yes i agree, the ending really shows how the show became a "cartoon" in the Scully-era. In Duffless with got a sweet ending, and in mad Marge, we get this..... So is this one of the worst of all time? Im not sure, but it's up there, thats for sure. 2/10

I also admit that i perhaps overreacted at times, and used some unnecessary words here and there. By the way, can someone come and defend this episode, so i can have a word with you?
    Last edited by Jerkass Homer; 06-17-2013 at 04:38 AM.

2. Thumbs Up To This Post by: Sam

'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge', written by Larry Doyle and directed by Steven Dean Moore, aired for the first time on May 14, 2000 and it is the twenty-first episode of the eleventh season. In this one, we have Bart and the rest of his class getting their hands on video cameras to film as part of a school project and Otto's wedding with his girlfriend Becky at the Simpson home falls through after Marge suggests for Otto to choose between his girlfriend and his obsession with rock n’ roll (he choose the latter in a heartbeat) and it is decided that Becky can live with the Simpsons. As time passes, Marge finds herself to be overshadowed by Becky, even suspecting the young woman to try and take her out and take her place. After having the brakes of her car cut and barely surviving, Marge is sure that Becky is out to kill her and when she mistakes Becky for kissing Homer at the ice cream parlor, she snaps and almost kills Becky before being taken away by the police and declared insane by some doctors. Marge insists that she's not insane and escapes through town, eventually finding out while browsing a library computer that Becky really is OK and returns home, where it seems like like Becky is trying to sacrifice Homer with a knife but it turns out it's just Bart filming for his school project. Marge apologizes but suddenly, Becky reveals that she really was trying to kill her and take over her family after all. The doctors then shows up and tranquilizes Marge, with some help from Homer after being told he was gonna have to do some scrubbing and mopping. What an episode (and I don't mean it in a positive way).

It was some time since I last watched it and I can honestly say it isn't good; it is pretty bad. It starts off rather promising with the video camera project Bart's class is assigned to and Otto proposing to Becky and the subsequent marriage scene, but as soon as Otto decides to be something of a sociopath and swiftly pick his obsession of rock 'n roll over his to-be-wife and leaving her at the altar, it goes downhill and never recuperates. The characterizations are mostly off; Marge seems rather cold and mean and then there's her out-of-character psychotic freakout where she tries to kill Becky (this episode definitely has one of her worst portrayals), Homer is dumb and careless to the extreme (stabbing his fingers with a knife and ripping off a part of his tongue against an ice statue; What the? Were those parts really needed, with blood and all?) and Bart tries to severly injure his father by having the car fall on top of him. Lisa is pretty well characterized, though it's not helping much and the portrayal of the other characters varies (how they handled the situation after Marge escaped with immediately painting her up as 'Mad Marge', a murderous killer, and ridiculing her on the Krusty Show with 'Mad Marge' dancers and a TV report sketch with a still pic of Marge with a live-action type mouth is just stupid, too much and unconvincing as hell). For what it is, the animation is really quite good and churns out some good angles and uses some nice lighting and shadows, but those are no real saving graces. Becky, voiced by guest star Parker Posey, was initially a quite likeable character and it was nice how well she got along with the family (minus Marge of course) but then they had to ruin the character in the end with her admitting that she was an usurper who did intend to kill Marge; way to go with a twist like that. The overall ending is bad as well, with Homer tranquilizing Marge because of his laziness (which is a far cry from the Homer from the classic seasons). And speaking of laziness, the fact that they reused the character model of the young Dr. Forster (Hurricane Neddy) for the head doctor was pretty cheap.

It isn't really that funny either and many parts fall flat and is almost entirely devoid of even creating any chuckles, but it does have some amusing bits and gags throughout it's running time even though it's some space between several of them: the school having to eliminate biography to afford the video cameras, "Tonight, on the Discovery Channel, "Inside Lisa's Nose". What will we find? Boogers or Nazi gold?"*zooms in on Lisa's nostril*, the stuff from Apu's wedding still being around on the back yard (including an elephant), "Why am I just learning this now?", "In about fifteen minutes, I'd take off that wedding dress, or you're gonna look crazy", Lisa putting shrimp and sauce into Moe's mouth since he can't carry it with his hands tgat are full with gifts, Homer holding up the car with a wicker basket while he's working underneath it, "Milhouse has footage of himself falling down the stairs", Patty saying that Becky seducing Homer would be "an act of violence, not love", the shadow of Becky holding up a brush showing her holding a knife, Marge in her car NOT breaking the glass that two guys are carrying ("Tough glass"), the "world's largest speed bump" bit, "Relax, he's gorging"*some seconds pass without anything happening*"Okay, maybe not", "The kids are saying if you say "bloody Margie" five times, she'll appear, but then she gouges your eyes out" & Moleman being disappointed that he hadn't made a friend in Marge.

So overall, it's a weak and poor episode with a plot that feels like it had some potential (the idea of Marge feeling left out and becoming paranoid that the person living with the family isn't whom she appears to be really isn't all that bad in itself) but the execution was terrible as they went an wacky and cartoony route as well as having one of the weakest endings of the show I can think of. If this episode was pitched during the classic seasons, I think that they could have made it work and then we wouldn't have all of the dumb, unfunny stuff and the wackiness present in the final product we have now; a perfect definition of just how cartoony the show had turned around this time, with bad humor and more or less extreme OOC characters. The animation is as said great and the best aspect of the episode since there is not much else to like about it; it's probably not as terrible as say "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed' and 'Love Is A Many-Splintered Thing' but it is still a bad episode and definitely not a highlight of the eleventh season. With episodes like this one, I can definitely understand some post-Scully episodes like 'Bart Vs. Lisa Vs. The Third Grade' getting such high scores by watchers when they first aired; in direct comparison to this thing they can resemble masterpieces.

I'll go ahead and sum it all up: this episode blows all right, it blows big time.
    Last edited by CousinMerl; 06-17-2013 at 01:41 PM.

f**kface von clownstick Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hope to rewatch this one later in the week, and I can already tell you that I really like this one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Sandford II View Post
    While not humorous, would be cool if someone actually put this in their sig.

Blog Entries

I think the episode is getting too much hate. Its not a great episode, but I woulndn't call it bad or even one of the worst episodes. It isn't even close of being the worst Marge episode imo

Best Marge episode is easily Marge VS The Monorail, but can't really think of the worst one. I'm leaning towards Large Marge

Blog Entries

Shut up Becky

Blog Entries

Large Marge is superior to this
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    dog lives matter

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
    Becky didn't like Otto's music, I can understand that, but is that the only reason she didn't want to marry him?
    She never said she didn't want to marry him because of not being a fan of the music he loves, but she didn't want to have it played during their wedding ceremony which I can understand; for most who are getting married, and perhaps in particular women, the wedding itself one of the most important moments in one's life and for example having some kind of music that one doesn't like being played during it would essentially ruin the occasion (Maybe Otto and Becky should have talked about it beforehand, I dunno).

And I have to disagree that 'Large Marge' is weaker than this one, if anything it's a stronger episode.

Blog Entries

Large Marge has its problems, some of them quite severe, but its still better than this one.

heeeals! you guys are brutal! zach's Avatar

ugh, how can anyone like large marge?

Blog Entries

I can't see how anyone can like ad, Mad Marge... and I'm a fairly big defender of the Scully era.

This really wasn't a bad episode but not great. The scene where Bart tries to push the car off the wicker basket was just strange and unnecessary. They also over reached a little with Marge being driven to kill Becky, I think more paranoia would have been a more genuine approach but with Marge's sisters being in her ear I guess anything is possible. I actually didn't mind the ending with the blow dart it was just a harmless gag. Overall it's a middle of the road episode for this era ,a sharp drop off from the classic era but much better than what we are getting now. 6/10
    I'm just like Bart!
    I'm Bart, who are you? by The No Homers Club

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz123 View Post
    I'm like the dexter of masturbation.

I kinda feel I've been too harsh on this one in the past and agree with a lot of The Thompsons thoughts on it.
    The plot and characterization of Marge are too extreme though and really bring this one down

The ending was weak and the fact that Bart was more concerned about a school project being finished than actually searching for his mother (along with the rest of the family) was weird to me.

Some of the jokes fall flat, but several are dead on like Marge reacting to the headlines before finishing them, Otto's recollection of Woodstock '99, "I didn't hit your precious table", the remnants of Apu's wedding, the truth about men, "We need a ride home!", the hairdryer gag, "wow, tough glass", "Becky, I think I speak for all of us when I say, when's the ice cream gonna get here?", "Don't mess with me, I've got Jimmies!" (I can only see a horrible rainbow!), Lou letting off a stray shot, the psychiatrists reaction to Marge praying, Mental Asylum Marching Band, and the Bloody Margie.

I also thought this was okay. Certainly a guilty pleasure episode, since it lacks a lot of what should be a part of a great Simpsons episode (good characterisation, solid resolution, consistently funny, clever jokes) yet I still like it. The mental asylum marching band actually made me laugh hard, as did Lou firing off an accidental shot. Put it this way; it's not an episode I'd show to a newcomer who wanted to get into the show, but it's an episode I'll watch drunk at 11.30pm and laugh my arse off. 7/10

Blog Entries

Review coming shortly...see my sig fo my opinion of the episode.

Blog Entries

Review coming shortly...see my sig for my opinion of the episode.

Misplaced his pants Financial Panther's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think this episode is as bad as people make it out to be. The episode that I compare it to the most is She Used to Be My Girl, which I find much, much, MUCH worse. I can understand why Marge is jealous here; hell, I think anybody would be jealous if their family started gravitating toward somebody else instead of you. And Marge does have some reason to be paranoid. She heard what her sisters said and became frightened, and seeing Becky acting like she was kicking Bart and performing some sort of sacrifice obviously won't help her become calmer. She wants to protect herself and her family, and with all the close calls, you can't really fault her for being a little tightly wound.

Compare this to She Used to Be My Girl. The only reason Marge is jealous and wants to get rid of Chloe is because Lisa is looking up to her. But that's it. Chloe isn't doing anything that could be construed as trying to hurt the family or harm Marge in any way. Again, her jealousy is somewhat warranted, but it's a supreme overreaction to engage in a fight with someone your daughter looks up to just because of...that.

Anyway, back to IAMMMMM. There are some pretty funny moments in this episode, such as a lot of Bart's attempts at a video project and Homer sucking out the innards of the cake. One thing that seems to get overlooked amid the Marge controversy is the awful moment of Bart pretty much trying to kill his father by attempting to get the car to fall down on his chest. That's horrible, and I think it's worse than anything else in this episode. As for the ending revelation that Becky was actually trying to kill Marge...well, I'll give the writers credit for a nice twist. It doesn't bother me too much.

So not an awful episode, and it doesn't deserve the criticism it receives.

C+

Food-Crazed Maniac Oh, that's raspberry!'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Lionel Hutz have you made your selection yet? I mighta missed it.

Anyway I literally couldn't sign on here for the past several hours I'm lucky I got on now. As a result I'm not confident I'll bother re-watching this. I probably still will, but it'll be tomorrow evening if so.

19. Thumbs Up To This Post by: zartok-35

I choose

Homer the Heretic

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad Marge

This one has a couple of laughs but lacks story-wise. A lot of problematic scenes were mentioned here and I have to say that what bothered me the most about the episode was the usual season 11 "twist" about Becky wanting to kill Marge. But it's a throw-away moment so it's not too much annoying and I can see why some people might like it. And I'm not too much bothered about all the media hype about Mad Marge Simpson in the episode, it's a bit plausible. It's not a memorable episode but it's not deserving of the worst episode ever title.

Still, I'd give it a C+

I freeze-framed the newspapers segment and you could read some articles like one about a tragedy including a belly-dancer fire-eater and a keg (?) juggler.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
    I choose

Homer the Heretic
    Oof...I have a few problems with this episode, but I'm afraid people are going to have some problems with my problems.

We'll settle it like adults. pffft, who am I kidding, prepare to be slaughtered, Panther.

Blog Entries

good choice, just the other day I was thinking about Lovejoy classifying Apu as miscellaneous, I'm just surprised it wasn't discussed in the first thread

f**kface von clownstick Frightened Inmate No. 2's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i'm in a hurry, so i'll just share the stuff i jotted down while i was watching it that i enjoyed:
    milhouse saying "otto's got a girlfriend"
    water $8
    every rose has its thorn
    homer playing with the knifes
    stuff from apu's wedding
    otto's parents
    homer using the straw to eat the cake
    marge's bridal magazine
    homer getting his tongue stuck to the ice
    "cyanide"
    otto choosing heavy metal over becky
    homer telling becky to take off the dress
    homer singing "changes"
    martha stewart without the evil
    "it's an act of violence, not love"
    the hairdryer looking like a gun
    tough glass
    chief wiggum
    "when's the ice cream gonna get here"
    the ark
    "powerless to help you, not punish you"
    "i know where you live, my house"
    maggie being to too many insanity hearings
    unhealthy obsession with ringo starr
    marge praying
    marge will be back to finish off becky
    mental asylum marching band
    ralph with the gun
    marge on krusty's show
    the half-cleaned dog
    the headlines
    hans moleman
    becky actually trying to kill marge
    homer shooting the dart in marge's neck

also, becky was an interesting character, and i liked seeing her bond with the rest of the family.

Act 1: A-
    Act 2: A-
    Act 3: A-
    Overall: A- or 4/5

it wasn't quite as good as i remembered it, but i still really liked it.

Blog Entries

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge

So this week in the episode club we're experiencing some technical difficulties with the board. It almost seems fitting that this should happen when discussing a typical Scully episode. Here's what I had to say about this one waaaaay back in the magical times of around a year, a year and a half ago:

Season 11 continues when Marge goes crazy! Otto proposes to Becky, a woman he met at Woodstock. Bart arranges for the wedding to be held at the Simpson home. Marge gives Becky some advice that ends with Otto leaving her. She stays with the family and through a series of seemingly odd coincidences Marge fears Becky is trying to replace her so she attacks her. In the end she is proven correct.

I've read interesting comparisons of this episode's ending to the ending of Duffless used to show the stark contrast between the two eras of the series. I never had much of a problem with this one when I was younger, it even taught me the word usurper and that sprinkles can be called jimmies, but this is pretty awful. The first act and a half or so is more bland than anything and Patty and Selma are even enjoyable at the wedding, but Homer's pain gags are terrible. Homer in general is really portrayed rather poorly throughout the episode.

Marge starts out fine and as the bad ending shows was actually right to mistrust Becky, but this episode remains one of her worst. Earlier reviews compared this to Jean Marge episodes like Strong Arms of the Ma; that episode also has a horrible final act but this is a worse episode overall. At least Marge was handled well in the first two acts of Strong Arms. The ending is particularly bad writing and Homer "blowgunning" his wife remains an example of Scully's at times atrocious characterizations which I alluded to before. Parker Posey is alright as a guest voice I guess but I find Becky a bland character. Although I did like her jam session with Lisa which reminded me that the last five or six years of the show(maybe longer) have made little to no reference of Lisa owning a saxophone....just a random thought I had during the rewatch.

Anyway is this episode bad? Yes, but I prefer it to Alligator or Saddlesore. 1.5/5, rounded down to a one on the poll.

PS: I've always enjoyed Marge's little "Shut Up Becky!" runner.

I don't think I'm going to be quite as hard on this one now. One thing I'll give it is that I couldn't help but feel it had an energy to it that made it feel like it was confident in its ability to be funny, even if it was unwarranted. I don't get that vibe often enough in the HD shows honestly. It really went by rather quickly too which I'd prefer to it dragging on as the worst of the worst tend to in the modern era. I still don't care about Otto in the first act, but it had some more decent one liners than I think I initially gave it credit for. There were several nice callbacks in the episode to Apu's Wedding, his parents, the Ringo paintings, Dr. Foster from "Hurricane Neddy," and the woman whose name escapes me from "Fear of Flying." The video camera plot is used for Three's Company-esque wacky misunderstanding jokes as I think they mention on the commentary iirc. These are mostly dumb and the ending scene is still the worst thing here. Homer is rather inexcusable throughout this episode even if he has a decent scene or two. I liked his device for eating the cake for instance, but his knife game and tongue getting stuck in the ice? No....just no. And the less said about the blow gun the better.

I couldn't help but think this felt like a Family Guy episode at times. Not the current abomination Family Guy mind you the Seasons 1 through 4 or so Family Guy. Homer's comment about Marge coming back to finish off Becky was even used by Peter in one episode and Meg ended up jumping out the window. This one really played up the farce to extreme notches. The screw the audience type stuff like the marching band happening to be going into the insane asylum, the glass and speed bump stuff, Marge initially appearing to jump through the window from several stories up, or reading just the first parts of headlines. All of these things have been used better in the show before, but they aren't really terrible here. Your tolerance for it will vary though I think. There are some things here that I tend to like moreso out of nostalgia though like the whole usurper and jimmies bits I mentioned earlier. For some reason I can't explain I really liked the wicker basket reveal. It feels so random but I like it. It reminds me for some reason of the scene in "Screaming Yellow Honkers" where we see Bart stealing from Marge's purse through the headlights....and then of course Homer too.

How is Marge handled here? Well the thing is she's ultimately proven right in a last screw the audience farcical topper, but is she true to the established character? They try to give us the nagging crusader Marge from "Bart After Dark" and several other episodes to setup the main plot, but it feels half-hearted. I'm not sure how I feel about the meat-juice line honestly though it stuck out to me. Does it feel like a betrayal of her support for Lisa's decision, or an acceptable reaction from a concerned mother? I could see arguments made for both and it's a line I'm giving too much thought anyway. I will say regarding the "Mad Marge" aspect that the scene of her wielding the jagged ice cream cone remains was animated rather nicely, or to put it another way to good humorous effect. I still thing "Strong Arms of the Ma" is a superior Marge episode for the first two acts alone, and I'll stick with my initial grade of 1.5/5.

Well anyway I hope we get these boards cleaned up for next week's classic.

Blog Entries

I can't tell if Becky was serious about killing Marge at the end, or that she was joking

Blog Entries

Directed by Steven Dean Moore, assisted by Chris Clements, just like last week. Animators Erick Tran, Luis Escobar, Bill Ho, Jon Gebhart, Kenji Ono, Jordan Young, Anna Maltese, Kim Le, Sam Ho, and Trish Buchanan-Benson. Steve is one of the best directors on the series, and he treated this episode no worse than any other; what a trooper! Luis was paired heavily with Steve in seasons 10 and 11, so atleast the Scully-era catastrophes he's a party to look pretty decent anmation-wise.

Luis animates that scene where Marge is getting ready to leave the house, and Becky wants to make Lisa Couscous. I like Couscous, and grain semolina, but thats not enough to make me like this shitty episode.

Between the couscous and Bart feeding rice to birds, this episode makes me hungry instead of entertained.

Jon Gebhart did that sequence where Homer stabs his own hand. An unessiscary gore shot; thats our wild and crazy Mike Scully, and his era!

Bill Ho animates the genesis for our plot: the scene where The Simpsons let Becky stay with them for NO REASON except that "She feels so alone".

Vote Jerkass Homer 2015! Jerkass Homer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Homer The Heretic is a good coice i think. I wont be up with my review the first day, as i have with the previous episodes. But im pretty sure i have posted my review by next week.

I'm surprised to see people either liking or being OK with Mad Marge; I agree with @zartok-35 that Large Marge has it's issues, but I can't understand those who'd say Mad Marge is a superior to that one (and even Strong Arms Of The Ma is better even though it goes downhill towards the end); Mad Marge is simply put one of the weakest Marge-centric episodes of all time and currently, I cannot think of one that is worse.

(Oh, and Homer The Heretic will be rewatched and reviewed soon).

Out of touch old timer Nebuchanezzar's Avatar

i don't think these things are open for long enough. especially for in depth episodes like homer the heretic and lisa the vegetarian.

i shall endeavor to have a discussion up in a few days. in the meantime, there's a thread that was started by tibor called nerdiscussion: homer the heretic, if i'm not mistaken. that has some excellent discussion. if someone could find it (i know the search is off ) we could all read it and build off that discussion
    We are trying to archive all of the noteworthy, substantial and important Simpsons related posts/threads on the NHC. This website hosts an enormous library of great observations that ought to be catalogued in a library of online criticism. If you know of any threads that fit this bill PLEASE CONTRIBUTE to the link below.

CLICK HERE

Also of interest:
    My grades and reviews of every episode from seasons 1-7

Blog Entries

Thread Information